Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Burden posted:

Plex has their black Friday sale up. 25% off to make it $89.99 in the US for a lifetime subscription. https://www.plex.tv/fan-friday-2022/

I feel like every time a sale comes up, I wonder how long they are going to still be the leader in this space.

I keep thinking that I will gone sooner than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you have a source for such huge performance increases because I’ve not seen anyone mention that kind of increase before and I’m intrigued as to how it does it.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/hdr-to-sdr-tone-mapping/
From what anyone can determine, the "partial" support is decoding and some pre-processing (or perhaps some parts of the encode task) only. If you are transcoding an HDR stream on windows, it's doing it in software. This means a single HDR transcode will easily be functionally the only transcode you can be doing at one time. Under linux, HDR tonemapping works like normal HW transcoding and you'll be running many parallel transcodes on idle CPU use.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm busy so I'll hop into that link in a minute, but does that apply to GPUs?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Moey posted:

I feel like every time a sale comes up, I wonder how long they are going to still be the leader in this space.

If you want to be extra cheap, you can buy Plex with Paypal using another country's currency and it's even cheaper. I think I bought mine from Brazil or something.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 21, 2022

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

forest spirit posted:

I'm busy so I'll hop into that link in a minute, but does that apply to GPUs?
It's nVidia only, and only whilst on linux. Otherwise it will just use the CPU.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It actually looks like somebody at AMD has been putting in some code changes into the ffmpeg code base, so maybe there's some hope for AMD transcoding after all:

https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project/ffmpeg/list/?submitter=824

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Upgraded to Lifetime Plex Pass. The downloading works great. I think this will be money well spent in the end. At work, downloaded some shows for my ride home on the train, all working smoothly.

Does anybody know how the downloads actually work? Like does it know I'm on an iPhone, and tells my computer to transcode it to the proper format and then download it to my phone? That was always my big problem in the past, was having to manually transcode stuff and then drop it into iTunes to transfer it. VLC player kind of worked, but it was annoying have to connect to my computer at home every time I wanted to transfer something.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I believe you can set the quality for Downloads on your client device under settings. Not sure what it defaults to. Presumably this will force Plex to transcode it down when you request something.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yes you set the download quality in the app on your phone or whatever you’re downloading to. It defaults to best compatibility (which most likely means transcoding) but you can change it to whatever you prefer. For my 3yo’s iPad Mini I set it to max compatible at 480p and that works fine for the cartoons he watches.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Moey posted:

I keep thinking this too. Eventually I gave up and just bought the lifetime pass. It's already paid for itself now.

Moey posted:

This sentence needs more words.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Omg, Plexamp is amazing. I heard people talking about this recently, I didn’t even know it was a thing part of Plex Pass. I feel like I can now clear my phone of like 30GB of music.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Plexamp is great, and the Android Auto app is better than most music apps I've tried on there.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I've just discovered, but haven't been able to test much yet, that Plex has "smart shuffle" on by default. Like all "smart x" things, that means it's stupid. Smart shuffle apparently weights more popular songs higher. That's why out of several thousand songs it seems to like playing the same handful every time. I've turned it off, hoping for an unbiased library shuffle.

Any other stupid Plex tips like this I should know by now?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you mean plexamp, it'll shuffle based on what you were playing before. It's actually pretty drat good at it, too.
If you want to not do that, you can just shuffle all tracks and it seems naive/random.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
"Smart shuffle" is a feature you can set on the server (at least I did it using the web client). It appears to apply both to Plexamp and the web client.

Anecdotally, after turning it off, it seems a lot more truly random. When I click shuffle, I want it to rearrange the tracks completely randomly and then play that. I know many people do not want the same artist two times in a row or something, but I just want random.

Another feature I didn't know about is a "smart playlist", where you can set something like play tracks that haven't been played in a week. Still playing with that one to see how it feels.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well this is bizarre. I knew I was missing a much-discussed episode of the last season of Atlanta (the one where they talk about A Goofy Movie). It's right there on my hard drive, and Plex sees it as the correct episode title, but when I try to run it, it just plays the previous episode.

This sort of thing ever happen to any of you? I also noticed after adding a bunch of things just now and 'scanning library files' that it kicked up an old show I haven't watched or added to, to the top of 'date added'. I hope this doesn't mean my hard drive is on its way out.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mister Speaker posted:

Well this is bizarre. I knew I was missing a much-discussed episode of the last season of Atlanta (the one where they talk about A Goofy Movie). It's right there on my hard drive, and Plex sees it as the correct episode title, but when I try to run it, it just plays the previous episode.

This sort of thing ever happen to any of you? I also noticed after adding a bunch of things just now and 'scanning library files' that it kicked up an old show I haven't watched or added to, to the top of 'date added'. I hope this doesn't mean my hard drive is on its way out.

Have you checked the file itself for the particular episode to see if it’s the correct one? If the file name of the original download / media rip was incorrect that’s all it uses to determine what episode it is in the Plex library.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You can also view info on the episode to see the path that Plex is using for it. If it matches what it should be your dvd ripping software screwed up naming and you’ll need to redo the process.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

The Plex integration with live TV via over the air antenna is really nice. Where I had lived previously the antenna didn't work so I never got to try it out, but it works at my new house perfectly. Hooked it up the antenna to my HDHomerun and Plex found it quickly and did the guide setup. So easy and looks great. Haven't done much with the DVR yet, but I set up a few recordings and like all the options they give you.

Also really like the fairly new watch list feature and how it can take you to the streaming service it is on if you subscribe.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

cruft posted:

This sentence needs more words.

Gone meaning ditching Plex for Jellyfin.

I was just looking at Tautulli randomly last night, it seems a Plex Client update or something was pushed (to multiple platforms). Every single remote stream that was going was sitting at 720p, either 2mbps, 3mbps or 4mbps.

It infuriates me that I can't set a default quality profile for remote users hitting my server. poo poo resetting with updates is also a living hell.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Moey posted:

Gone meaning ditching Plex for Jellyfin.

I was just looking at Tautulli randomly last night, it seems a Plex Client update or something was pushed (to multiple platforms). Every single remote stream that was going was sitting at 720p, either 2mbps, 3mbps or 4mbps.

It infuriates me that I can't set a default quality profile for remote users hitting my server. poo poo resetting with updates is also a living hell.

Yeah, I really wish I could set a minimum quality based on the number of concurrent streams going at once.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I have an a age-restricted home user for my kid and it works great. I share my library with a friend who also has a kid and they would like to have the same control. There's no way to provide content from shared libraries to a home user from what I can tell. Am I missing anything?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

anyone ever have stuttering problems with direct play (ie: non-transcoded) streams? I've got gigabit internet and there are some video files that skip every two seconds when I try to play them in chrome with no transcoding, but they play just fine transcoded.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Dr. Poz posted:

I have an a age-restricted home user for my kid and it works great. I share my library with a friend who also has a kid and they would like to have the same control. There's no way to provide content from shared libraries to a home user from what I can tell. Am I missing anything?

AFAIK the only way to do this is for them to have their own Plex Pass so that they can also create separate user accounts. Outside of that you'd have to create and curate a whole separate library of kids media and share that.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i apparently downloaded the 32-bit version instead of 64. not that it matters too much, but i might as well get it over with

i've backed up the registry settings and %LOCALAPPDATA% folder, but should i just uninstall plex and reinstall it from the proper installer, and it should be good to go? curious if anyone has done this before

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

El Mero Mero posted:

anyone ever have stuttering problems with direct play (ie: non-transcoded) streams? I've got gigabit internet and there are some video files that skip every two seconds when I try to play them in chrome with no transcoding, but they play just fine transcoded.

Are these real high bitrate files? The Chrome client seems to struggle/choke on some higher bitrate files for me that play fine via the windows app or a Chromecast.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I have an interesting problem. Somehow only transcoding an audio stream gives me occasional splashes of smeared colors when playing HDR content to my tv, but if I direct play the AC3 track it is fine.

I already have a work around of "select the other audio track", but is there a way I can easily edit all my files to make my AC3 track the default selection?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CopperHound posted:

I already have a work around of "select the other audio track", but is there a way I can easily edit all my files to make my AC3 track the default selection?

If the container is mkv, mkvtoolnix will do this; it has a GUI, or from the command-line you can use mkvpropedit (part of the mkvtoolnix package)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Apparently there a lot of options to select for the Sonic DJ stuff to work in Plex Amp...

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

astral posted:

If the container is mkv, mkvtoolnix will do this; it has a GUI, or from the command-line you can use mkvpropedit (part of the mkvtoolnix package)
I did a bit of playing around. It looks like plex ignores the default flag and chooses whatever track is at the top of the list. Now, I just gotta work out how to batch putting the first english ac3 track to the top of the list.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CopperHound posted:

I did a bit of playing around. It looks like plex ignores the default flag and chooses whatever track is at the top of the list. Now, I just gotta work out how to batch putting the first english ac3 track to the top of the list.

mkvpropedit should be able to do that as well.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CopperHound posted:

I have an interesting problem. Somehow only transcoding an audio stream gives me occasional splashes of smeared colors when playing HDR content to my tv

This lg plex problem has been a thing for years.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

CopperHound posted:

I have an interesting problem. Somehow only transcoding an audio stream gives me occasional splashes of smeared colors when playing HDR content to my tv, but if I direct play the AC3 track it is fine.

Try a different audio stream, moving to 5.1 or 2.1 audio.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone use any of the linear channel things for Plex?

I just installed and tested getchannels.com. It’s super simple and does exactly what I want: point it at your Plex media folders and create channels using smart playlist-like criteria. As a quick test I created a Friday the 13th channel and Ghost Adventures channel that plays the respective media in random order. It creates a 24/7 channel guide, you can join in-progress whatever is playing, or restart the media from the beginning. You can get as complicated as you want apparently using genre, decade, etc. as you would expect to build out channels.

It is $80 a year with a 30-day free trial. I’m only using half the functionality of the app because it’s actually supposed to be a DVR replacement. I’ll see how I like it after a month but I’m really liking the idea of it so far.

Are any of the Plex specific hacks worth toying with to replicate this functionality? I’ve seen a few things on GitHub but I don’t want to configure yaml poo poo to keep things running or to add media so I’m willing to buy an app if need be for a UI.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You pay monthly for a thing to make playlists of your own media?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Eh, I find linear channel generation a super neat idea because I don’t have time to do it myself any more and I just want something I can pop on after dealing with work and a kid all day.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've messed with some of the free alternatives to do the same, with the ultimate goal of being able to add them to the same IPTV playlist my Android TV uses for Australian FTA channels (rather than playing them via Plex which also works). In the end it was a bit of a mess of 2 apps, one that generated the channels and used ffmpeg to re-encode the content into a linear stream and another to merge the FTA playlist and the custom playlists into a single thing for the TV. At this point it 'worked' but then I found we rarely ended up watching the pretend linear channels with self hosted content and I eventually just scrapped it.

So my takeaway is if getchannels makes it simple and you really like it then go nuts, DIY is a bit of a pain but possible.

E. I was using DizqueTV and xTeVe in docker containers if I remember right.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm assuming having it hook into the tv browser built into TV's and Plex and what not is the reason this sort of thing isn't handled all through metadata?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
What it's doing is basically generating an internal playlist of your content, usually combining a bunch of content to play sequentially but mix (eg show 1 s01e02, show 2 s01e02,show 1 s01e02 etc)… presenting this as a continuous (in time) streaming endpoint and then generating a m3u8 playlist and an EPG XML that can then be used by the IPTV function of Plex, your TV, other things etc. So it looks and feels like pretty much a regular TV channel with EPG info and all. Repeat for as many channels as you like. Eg I made one that had a bunch of Fox cartoons, another that played HBO shows and another that played the last 10 movies I'd gotten based on release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I messed with one of those pseudo tv things before too, but if you use a legit HDHR it forces you to use a single channel data source so never went much further. I didn’t know Channels included that functionality or had any working with Plex so that’s kinda interesting, maybe it’s worth me doing a trial after all. I hear their software is great I just don’t need much DVR/Live TV outside of what I get already.