Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a show I set to auto-delete after watching. Right now, there are no episodes (hence, no poster or anything). How can I turn off the auto delete without having content?

If I added the content back, it would give me the option, but is there a way to do it when there's no media file available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

What do you use for storage with your Raspberry Pi setup?

A TerraMaster D4-300

It connects over USB3 to the Pi and has given me 0 problems in the 15 months I've had it. Right now I have two 6TB drives in it, using btrfs object mirroring.

It's loud as hell, though. The case actually works kind of like a sounding board and amplifies every little sound. I took the case off and put it on some packing foam to keep the wood floor from also acting like a sounding board. Now you can barely hear it.

I'm an outlier in this thread in that I'm using low-end equipment. But I think I serve as a nice data point when someone like you asks if a computer is fast enough to run Plex: the answer is yes. I can even transcode two 480p videos at the same time with Plex not using the hardware acceleration (could probably do 4 if they ever get around to enabling it: I can help, I've done all the hard work figuring out the ffmpeg options you need).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m likely going to get a D4 to add to my D5-300C. The fans in these things are always shoddy which is a shame, but they’re neat units and in my setup changing from DAS to NAS doesn’t give me enough benefits for the price difference.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

acksplode posted:

lol if your copy of Dune isn't at least 50 GB

Joke's on you. My copy is on paperback :smuggo:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
If your ebooks aren't full frame tiff images of every page, are you even actually reading a book?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So my plex has been acting up lately (throwing lots of DB errors, which over tried to fix with sqlite commands but no dice). My appdata is about 7 years old at this point, and multiple different plex containers have been pointed at it. I’m starting to think its time to start fresh.

If I create a new appdata config for it, and name the server the same as my current one, will my users complain or will it be pretty seamless?

I have my watch history synced to Trakt and use plex-trakt-sync to keep it updated so getting my watched status back will be easy (my users will lose theirs but oh well).

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
If I remember right you're going to have to reshare your libraries from the new server to everyone. It will likely prompt them to pick the new server and probably mess up any menu pinning they did. But it's been a while since I did it so I can't recall exactly.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Matt Zerella posted:

So my plex has been acting up lately (throwing lots of DB errors, which over tried to fix with sqlite commands but no dice). My appdata is about 7 years old at this point, and multiple different plex containers have been pointed at it. I’m starting to think its time to start fresh.

If I create a new appdata config for it, and name the server the same as my current one, will my users complain or will it be pretty seamless?

I have my watch history synced to Trakt and use plex-trakt-sync to keep it updated so getting my watched status back will be easy (my users will lose theirs but oh well).

Plex Instances are matched by a MachineIdentifer value (stored differently depending on the platform) so just naming them the same will be a little confusing (two instances with the same name but one works and the other doesn't) until you can clean it up. It's possible you can retain the MachineIdentifier while still starting fresh, but you'll wanna experiment by bringing down the old instance and starting up the new one.

Source: I transitioned an instance from Windows to Linux. Wasn't having any db issues at the time though.

Dr. Poz posted:

The trick in my case was because of the platform switch. Windows stores the MachineIdentifier (a GUID representing the unique server instance) in the registry along with other "Additional Settings" whereas on Linux they are stored in the Preferences.xml in your Plex data. The guide just says to back them up but gives no mention of a migration path though. I was lazy and thought I'd just set them manually after starting the server but you can't do that with MachineIdentifier which forced me to put in the effort. It only took a minute to copy the registry key/value pairs into attributes of Preferences.xml which allowed the container to stand up as the existing instance, preserving users pins, etc along with watch history.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 16, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Dr. Poz posted:

Plex Instances are matched by a MachineIdentifer value (stored differently depending on the platform) so just naming them the same will be a little confusing (two instances with the same name but one works and the other doesn't) until you can clean it up. It's possible you can retain the MachineIdentifier while still starting fresh, but you'll wanna experiment by bringing down the old instance and starting up the new one.

Source: I transitioned an instance from Windows to Linux. Wasn't having any db issues at the time though.

Thanks for this info, I wont be deleting the old config so i can switch back easy if needed. A little surgery on an XML file is fine.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

A TerraMaster D4-300

It connects over USB3 to the Pi and has given me 0 problems in the 15 months I've had it. Right now I have two 6TB drives in it, using btrfs object mirroring.

It's loud as hell, though. The case actually works kind of like a sounding board and amplifies every little sound. I took the case off and put it on some packing foam to keep the wood floor from also acting like a sounding board. Now you can barely hear it.

I'm an outlier in this thread in that I'm using low-end equipment. But I think I serve as a nice data point when someone like you asks if a computer is fast enough to run Plex: the answer is yes. I can even transcode two 480p videos at the same time with Plex not using the hardware acceleration (could probably do 4 if they ever get around to enabling it: I can help, I've done all the hard work figuring out the ffmpeg options you need).

my Synology was loud at first too. they sell little rubber footpads on Amazon for like $5 that cut the sound in half. I do recommend them

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

my Synology was loud at first too. they sell little rubber footpads on Amazon for like $5 that cut the sound in half. I do recommend them

It came with squishy rubber footpads but it was still too loud for me. Packing material did a great job shutting it up.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Infuse 7.5 for AppleTV added Profile 8 Dovi/HDR playback. I've heard the native plex player can have some issues playing profile 8 files from Plex's native app?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 16, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Corb3t posted:

Infuse 7.5 for AppleTV added Profile 8 Dovi/HDR playback. I've heard the native plex player can have some issues playing profile 8 files from Plex's native app?

I just updated and a whole bunch of stuff that showed as HDR now show as DoVi. Very nice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Corb3t posted:

Based on the description this is something Plex can’t handle, but also I’ve had no issue playing those files on the existing version of Infuse I’ve got - however I’m on HDR10 compatible here, so I’m guessing that’s the difference especially based on previous post.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Infuse adding smart collections is really nice too. Now they just need to add skip credits and I think they have most of features I like about Plex’s native app.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 16, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Has infuse also solved the audio sync problems when "match content" is on? Last time I checked neither infuse or plex had been able to squash that particular bug.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

Has infuse also solved the audio sync problems when "match content" is on? Last time I checked neither infuse or plex had been able to squash that particular bug.

I’ve had that option on for ages and don’t have the problem on either player.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think most ATV users run Match Content and I’ve not seen widespread complaint. I know I’m not quite as sensitive to audio sync as some but it is something that can bug me and not something I’ve had issues without outside of individual files.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
With both plex and infuse for me if match content is on, the sync is off by 3-4 frames with a test clip I downloaded from YouTube. The same clip played in the YT app is perfect, as are all the commercial apps, so I can't just do a global on my receiver.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cruft posted:

A TerraMaster D4-300

curious why you’re sticking to a pi when you could get a J4125/N5105 celeron and have proper hardware transcoding via quicksync on a system that uses a marginal amount of power more than a pi, TDP on those boxes is only 10w and you can get them for around $100-150

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

e.pilot posted:

curious why you’re sticking to a pi when you could get a J4125/N5105 celeron and have proper hardware transcoding via quicksync on a system that uses a marginal amount of power more than a pi, TDP on those boxes is only 10w and you can get them for around $100-150

When it's rocking full-out the RPi4 draws 6W, which is low enough that I can just use passive radiators to cool it. Idle is about 2.8W. I guess if you're comparing power draw to, like, a microwave oven, 10W is marginally more than 6W, but proportionally, it's a pretty big difference. With an idle draw at just over 1/4 your celeron example, I could run both of the RPi4 boxes I own and still come in with way less power draw.

The lowest power draw I could find on an Intel chip was something called a ZimaBoard, by the same people who make the Seeeduino XIAO. It comes with a 36W power supply, and got so hot I was afraid to touch it. The i815 kernel driver also wedged the entire system every time I tried to decode an episode of The Love Boat. I didn't take the time to run down why that was happening, because it was easier to just go back to the stable system I already had (the RPi4).

Another helpful factor: because I already own the RPi4, it costs me $0 to "stick to it" :)

The RPi4 does have hardware H264 encoding and decoding, and after a week, I figured out how to get ffmpeg to use it. https://git.woozle.org/neale/h264

So the short answer is: it actually uses significantly less power, doesn't need a fan, and is 100% serving my needs. Remember, I'm the goon with the 1080p television. The challenges I find interesting relate to minimizing power draw and resource use, which is probably going to make me a huge outlier ITT :)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Let’s say your power costs $0.15 per kw/h

If the 10w computer is on 24/7 it costs $13 a year, 6w costs $8 a year

Power savings between a pi and a low power celeron are effectively nothing, I’m not saying to fire up a retired 8 core enterprise level xeon lol.

e: and plenty of fanless celerons out there too

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 16, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Managed to get the new Plex stood up today and now it's churning through all my content detecting intros.

Steps I took:
1. Deleted old container
2. Started up a new one with a new config directory
3. Entered claim code into container variable and started it
4. Setup wizard, named the server the same. Stopped plex.
5. Transplanted the following values from the old preferences.xml: MachineIdentifier, ProcessedMachineIdentifier, AnonymousMachineIdentifier
6. Started plex.
7. Followed Trash guide to get it back to the normal settings.

Everything's working great now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can understand wanting to get by with what you have, but being obsessed with power draw seems pretty silly - the Pi will just sit at max power for longer when it has to detect intros, thumbnail preview generate, etc.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, are we gatekeeping each others' hobbies now?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
what if their hobby is gatekeeping?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

what if their hobby is gatekeeping?

:aaaaa:

e: Anyway, e.pilot, I'm not doing this to save $2. I'm doing this because it's fun.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 16, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fun is a buzzword

/s

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cruft posted:

No I was just curious/confused as to why you'd limit yourself to a pi when there's more capable x86 boxes out there for effectively the same power draw and cost. 🤷🏼‍♀️

e: like my current setup is admittedly wildly overkill, but I could do 99% of what I have now with a couple of N5015s and USB JBOD enclosures and probably cut my power usage by 1/4 or more

ee: and long term that's what I'll likely do (with whatever the Celeron equivalent at the time) when my current crop of stuff starts to get long in the tooth

eee: but even with as dumb as my setup is now, both servers idling with the drives spun down is only 90-100w

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 16, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cruft posted:

muh piracy hobbies

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Posting isn't gatekeeping lol. Criticism can't stop you from doing whatever you want. Maybe it's worth declaring when you're doing something for fun or as a learning exercise rather than practicality. I totally get the joy of squeezing more value than you'd expect out of a constrained setup. Granted I'm running on a PC rather than RPi, but I derive satisfaction from its relatively low power draw that's separate from the practical benefits. But also I wouldn't be surprised if I boasted ITT about it without stating my intentions and someone offered critique from a practical perspective.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

acksplode posted:

Maybe it's worth declaring when you're doing something for fun or as a learning exercise rather than practicality

I'm feeling attacked right now, so apologies if I'm sounding hot-headed, but I would honestly like help understanding how I could do a better job communicating this. Apparently the following wasn't enough:

cruft posted:

I'm an outlier in this thread in that I'm using low-end equipment.

cruft posted:

The challenges I find interesting relate to minimizing power draw and resource use, which is probably going to make me a huge outlier ITT :)

e: deleted tirade. I think I was being very straightforward about my intentions here and it really irritated me when corb3t said my interests were silly.

ee: looking back over the last few pages, maybe I raised peoples' dander by being surprised that 4k videos are so large. That was honest surprise, I didn't realize that was even possible, and I didn't mean to throw shade on what anyone is doing. I'm sorry about how that came off.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 16, 2023

acksplode
May 17, 2004

To be fair to you, that got the message across to me, but then again I'm already sympathetic to your cause. Those statements aren't actually very clear about your goals, and they're part of larger posts that are mostly technical detail. I could imagine someone with a purely get-poo poo-done perspective getting the impression that you have a practical goal in mind around minimizing power draw or hardware cost, rather than doing it for love of the game. A simple "I'm having fun running a surprisingly capable plex setup on RPi" might do a better job of heading off that sort of response. I think it's also fair to expect people to anticipate that we're doing this stuff in part because we're nerds who enjoy getting our hands dirty for the sake of it. But that has to be balanced with the value of sharing your setup with knowledgeable nerds and getting good advice you might not have been expecting or asking for.

Idk, feels like it boils down to having thicker skin. Running Plex on a Pi with a bunch of storage is kinda silly, and that's what makes it fun to read about. If you're secure in your intention to do this for the fun of the challenge, someone calling your goals silly shouldn't bother you.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

acksplode posted:

To be fair to you, that got the message across to me, but then again I'm already sympathetic to your cause. Those statements aren't actually very clear about your goals, and they're part of larger posts that are mostly technical detail. I could imagine someone with a purely get-poo poo-done perspective getting the impression that you have a practical goal in mind around minimizing power draw or hardware cost, rather than doing it for love of the game. A simple "I'm having fun running a surprisingly capable plex setup on RPi" might do a better job of heading off that sort of response. I think it's also fair to expect people to anticipate that we're doing this stuff in part because we're nerds who enjoy getting our hands dirty for the sake of it. But that has to be balanced with the value of sharing your setup with knowledgeable nerds and getting valuable advice you might not have been expecting or asking for.

Idk, feels like it boils down to having thicker skin. Running Plex on a Pi with a bunch of storage is kinda silly, and that's what makes it fun to read about. If you're secure in your intention to do this for the fun of the challenge, someone calling your goals silly shouldn't bother you.

Yeah, I don't know why that bothered me so much, and it's really not worth crapping up the thread about it any longer. I got butthurt for some reason and went on a stupid tirade. Sorry.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
What does everyone have their Transcoder default throttle buffer set to? I was reading that changing it from the default of 60 to something higher is a good thing?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

trilljester posted:

What does everyone have their Transcoder default throttle buffer set to? I was reading that changing it from the default of 60 to something higher is a good thing?

I just did my fresh install and it defaulted to 120 seconds. This is going to a 4GB ram disk for me (so I dont wear out my SSD cache).

E: whoops, defaulted to 60 seconds. Old install I had it at 120. I’ll leave it at 60 for now.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I personally do not enjoy computer janitoring enough to do it for fun, but I fully understand and can empathise with people who do

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

Yeah, I don't know why that bothered me so much, and it's really not worth crapping up the thread about it any longer. I got butthurt for some reason and went on a stupid tirade. Sorry.

Text is a poor medium for nuance and none of this would have happened in a normal adult conversation so don't let it get to you too much <3

I am guilty of the same reactions myself so I sympathise.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Something something should be running it in a container something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Matt Zerella posted:

I just did my fresh install and it defaulted to 120 seconds. This is going to a 4GB ram disk for me (so I dont wear out my SSD cache).

E: whoops, defaulted to 60 seconds. Old install I had it at 120. I’ll leave it at 60 for now.

I bumped mine up to 600 because I was often having issues with buffering/stuttering, and I've watched a couple of shows with the new setting and haven't had any issues so far, so hopefully that fixed it.