Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I currently have Plex running on my laptop, with output to our Roku. Currently we just use it to stream channels but I'd like to start ripping DVDs we buy for our daughter.

Edit: It takes a pretty powerful computer to serve media from a ripped source, right? I don't think my laptop can do it but our desktop computer upstairs certainly has the capability.

Can I run two Plex servers and have the Roku connect to the laptop for streaming and the desktop for local media?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

FCKGW posted:

If you rip the DVDs into a format that Roku can natively play then Plex will DirectPlay it from your laptop with no issues.

http://roku.yt1300.com

Cool, thanks for that. My laptop hard drive is fairly meager so I could use a 500gb USB drive I keep downstairs. I don't keep the drive hooked up to the laptop all the time though. Would there be any problems in Plex detecting it if I only hooked it up when needed?