Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
OK Plex people, I am having some issues and am hoping to get some guidance, I will just include all information that may be relevant so this may be a little long.

I have PMS set up on my HTPC running Windows 7, it is an older gaming rig and should be plenty powerful. i5, 8GB RAM etc. Media is stored on that device on a WD 4TB RED connected via SATA. It is connected to my network via Ethernet and goes into a 8 port gigagbit switch. Inside the building I have a Roku 3 connected to my HDTV. The Roku is also connected to the network via Ethernet, into the same switch.

When watching movies (MKV) on the Roku the picture gets dropped intermittently. I am not sure I would say it is buffering, just that the display suddenly drops back to the page where you tell it to play the movie, for like a second at most, then flashes the little "loading" bar then resumes playback. This does not happen with every file, but there does not seem to be any particular pattern.

The files that I am playing are full size Blu Ray rips from my collection. I use makemkv and then do not compress at all. So, they are huge, 25-40GB generally. This problem persists when I direct play, as well as transcode at 20 and occasionally at 12. I haven't had an opportunity to really test comprehensively, but it seems to clear up as I force transcoding at lower bitrates.

Some googling around seems to imply that the Roku may not be capable of handling the incoming stream at these very high bitrates, does that sound correct? If so, would either of its competitors (Fire TV / Nexus Player) be able to handle it better? Am I fighting a losing battle trying to do this at max quality with anything other than a true HTPC? Or is there some other point of failure I am not considering? Thanks.

edit: as I write this apparently the post above seems to confirm that the Roku just cant handle it. Any thoughts on Fire TV / Nexus?

emocrat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I tried it but I couldn't really tell much difference. I was hoping it would have a more attractive interface, but it looks basically the same. I think it adds back in a few of the premium features but I couldn't find a reason to use it.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the input yall. I just pulled the trigger on a Fire TV and a FLIRC. I figure ill see how I like the FIre vs the Roku, and if neither of them satisfy for Plex and my stupid compulsion for viewing gigantic files then I will just use the FLIRC on the PC with PHT.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Can anyone enlighten me about Plex/Ripped media and forced subtitles? I have recently set up a Plex server for my home theater and love it, works basically flawlessly. My content is all ripped from my collection of Blu ray and DVD movies. My issue is that on Blu ray, certain films use forced subtitles for things like translating small bits of foreign language in an otherwise English film. When I rip a disc, I capture the forced subtitle track (if it exists) and it definitely appears in the options in Plex, I can manually turn it on when I go to play a movie, but that's a pain in the rear end. Does anyone know of a way to just make Plex see if there is a forced track and use it? Am I doing something wrong when I rip media?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

teagone posted:

Couldn't you just burn the subtitles into the encode during the ripping process?

[edit] For the foreign parts only I mean

That is an option, I have read that people often do that with Handbrake. When I rip I just rip the whole thing down with MakeMKV and then don't bother to re-encode or compress. Storage space is super cheap and I don't really want to spend the time to compress it. I may be overlooking something though, like a better method of ripping that will also burn in subtitles in one pass.

Capt. Morgan posted:

Look in the Settings/Server/Languages do you have always enabled selected, by default its set to manual.

I have tried this, but Plex does not (to my knowledge) differentiate between regular subtitles and forced subtitles. So, when I set it to always enabled, I will get a subtitle track no matter what. I suppose a way around this would be to make sure that the files only contain a forced track and nothing else, but it seems sub optimal.

I appreciate the suggestions, thanks.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Roundboy posted:

Plex only has support for subtitles on demand like this when its baked into the video file. External subtitles are always on, and not the 'on demand' style . its possible you can have an alternate subtitle file selected in the same directory that has all entries removed except the needed timestamps and translations, but that is annoying.

its a known issue on the forums, I looked it up a while ago... no plans to address it anytime soon

Well, that's annoying. Thanks for letting me know though. I guess the best solution is to just re encode the files with that track baked in as needed.
Oh well.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I have seen it where people make like, their own logo for their own home theater to play before movies. Kinda silly but also kinda fun to have "Smith Family Theater" or whatever and an animation come up before a movie with all your friends.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Looking for any insight on a problem with Plex/FireTV

So, I have my Plex server set up and running fine. Its running on a slightly older gaming rig, that can handle transcoding with no issues. I hooked up a FireTV the other day and tried to watch some stuff on it (remotely, so over the internet). It loads up the libraries and fetches titles just fine. As soon as I start playing the videos freeze/stutter. I get a message saying that I don't have the bandwidth and should lower the quality. Thing is, I do have the bandwidth on both sides of the transfer, and this occurs despite lowering it way down to 2m/720p. I can use other apps on the FireTv and stream 1080p fine. I loaded up my Plex on my phone, using the same internet connection as the Fire, and was able to stream the titles just fine.

So, any ideas on where to look for problems? I know my Plex server is up to date, and I tested a handful of different titles, although i suppose its possible I got unlucky and they all are a particular format the fire doesn't like (I thought transcoding would render that moot?)

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Well, that doesn't bode well. This is also a first Gen Fire TV...

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Shot in the dark, but I had a brief time a few weeks back after an update where I was unable to get access at all from inside or outside the LAN. I tracked it down to some issues with requiring secure connections, and it seemed like the server wasn't actually accepting it when I set it to accept insecure. Up to that point I had never had to do anything to get access inside my lan, just plug in a roku and it would find it. What ended up solving it was having every device, even inside the LAN logged in, and forcing secure connections.

edit: I do not have plex pass, so in my case that was not related.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Are you telling ti "update library" or "Refresh all"? in my experience just telling it to update library means it will just re scan the listed folders and add new stuff, takes like, a minute, and most of that is just spinning up drives. Refresh all means basically trash the metadata and rebuild the whole deal.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
If I take out a couple drives I have and replaces them with one larger one, moving all the files over with the same path other than a new drive letter, and point plex at the new one, will it gracefully update the media? Or is that gonna make things go haywire and I am better of deleting and rebuilding the libraries?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Not sure if there is a better place to ask, but it seems like the right people might congregate in this thread.

Like many of you (I assume) I use MakeMKV to add discs to my media collection. MakeMKV's website is gone, and appears to have been gone for a month or so, no telling if it ever shows back up. So, I am looking into alternatives. Does anyone have experience with Leawo Blu-ray Ripper? Other alternatives that you prefer? My use case is basically extracting just he core movie from a dvd or blu ray, I don't bother re-encoding or anything, so just something simple and reliable to use. Thanks.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Dicty Brojangles posted:

r/makemkv over on that other place is still going strong, and has a sticky with the beta code through November.

Oh, good call, thanks. I don't know why but it never ever occurs to me to look for things on Reddit.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Annual Prophet posted:

e: just checked and the website looks fine?

Based on your answer I looked now and it does appear to be back. For roughly the last month the website has just been a warning in Cyrillic that the account was suspended. Guess they got it fixed.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
This isn't specific to Plex, but I didnt know a better place to put, and I am using Plex as the playback software so here goes. I have ripped a large number of blu rays and DVDs into my personal library, and occasionally, one of the DVD's will play back windowboxed. I did some reading and I guess this is caused by the method the original DVD author used to create the widescreen image, where they burned in a pillarbox affect for 4.3 playback. Since I am on a 16.9 device it adds its own letterboxing, and you end up with the postage stamp effect, where there are black bars around the entire image.

Does anyone have solutions to this? The only thing I have seen in some light googling is to reencode the file cropped, which honestly seems doable given its a pretty rare affect I encounter. Any suggestions on a tools for that? Simpler the better. A better solution of course would be a way for the player itself to recognize and rescale the file on the fly, but that doesn't seem to exist.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the suggestions all. I understand the suggestion of finding a high def copy, and I don't really have any ethical issues with it. That said, I don't have any of the software set up for it and I don't really know anything about it, so it seems a little easier to me to just correct the ones I have which is all of like, 2 files. I will check out the crop feature on Handbrake, thanks for the link.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So in addition to movies and TV, I use Plex to serve my music library. For the most part it works fine, but I have this issue where some random mp3s have //////////// appended to the Artist/album/song names. Some googling shows that this apparently happens when the files id3 tag is v2.2 ok fine, it's not many files but it's annoying enough that I want to fix it. Does anyone have suggestions for a program that will let me easily convert 2.2 to 2.4? All the information in the tag is correct, I just need to up the version level. Suggestions?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
This is a general question, not geared at particular poster. Why do people care so much about direct play? Are you all running this on systems that cant handle a single transcode stream? Is it a purity/perfect signal thing where we can't abide the notion that an imperfection may have been introduced?

Seems strange to me. Part of what makes Plex great for me is that I no longer need to care at all about that stuff, it will play just fine. Either Direct Play or Transcoded at 20mbit 1080p

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I haven't kept up with Plex changes much for a while, have they created any way to easily include 2 versions of a movie in your library? If not, anyone have any creative solutions?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I'm not familiar with /scene/ got a quick explanation? Or a pink to a Plex article about? A quick look through the FAQ didn't turn anything up.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Perfect. Thanks, I'm gonna do this.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Does anyone here use Plex for Audiobooks? I am getting ready for a car trip and my wife asked me to set it up for her. I did a little research, downloaded and installed a new agent for audiobooks that looks at Audible and set up a new library per the instructions I found. It seems to work, pulling metadata correctly and all.

Here is my question: if you do this, how do you set up and organize the audio tracks and files?

Right now, essentially Plex is treating a book, as an album, and then inside an album are tracks. So I have, for example, an audiobook, showing as a single album with 4 tracks in it each about an hour long. Since we set up the mp3 tags correctly, they appear and play in order. I tried to name them using the same scheme as I do with multi file movies, where you append _part1 _part2 etc to the filename and Plex then understands it is 1 continuous item, but that seems to have no effect. I am not sure it really matters, as my current setup will still play it all correctly, but I am wondering if there is a way to get Plex to understand that they are all 1 continuous item. Thanks.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I'm having a playback issue with Plex on Android (phone). I think this is a semi common issue but googling has failed me so I thought I would ask here.

When I play audio through Plex on my pixel 3a it will stop playing after a few songs consistently. Always at the end of a track. I can restart playback manually. I have Plex pass. This happens with locally synced files so it is not data based.

Seems obvious it's something in Android or app settings that is killing it after a set time without interaction but I went through battery and app settings and I can't find anything.

Any ideas of what to look at?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I'm guessing all you cool people already know this, but in case not I'm just gonna throw this here:

Plex amp (dedicated audio player for Plex) has an Android app, and if you use your Plex library for music it is WAY better than the official Plex app.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I have used the windows app for a while without issue, but only found the android app about a week and a half ago. So far, I have no complaints.

Audio is fine, hasn't crashed at all, works seemlessly in the background and stores what I tell it to locally without issue.

So yes? Based on my last week I would suggest giving it a second chance. I'm using it on a pixel 3a for reference.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
As other said use MakeMKV and there's no need remux / rencode etc unless you have specific problems to address.

The only complication is some companies use playlist obfuscation which can make getting the correct lost difficult. It's solvable usually but can be a pain in the rear end, especially of the disc has been published many times with different editions have different obfuscation.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Corb3t posted:

You can review Plex Pass's features here. I think most AV nerds use the following Plex pass features the most:

-Multiple Editions (movies with normal/directors/unrated cuts are consolidated within library)

Is this recent? well, like in the last few years I guess.

I have plex pass, but I don't remember this being a thing. Does it work well?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
So, the discussion over the last while about OS's and such included some points about 4k files and transcoding and I am hoping someone can give me some explanations/advice about that.

I have been running a plex server for over a decade now and I just run it on an old PC running win10. My library is 100% made of stuff I have personally ripped from discs with Makemkv. Never had issues with file formats and transcoding has never been a problem at all. I am just starting to get 4k discs now and it seems from the discussion above this is going to pose some problems for me. Its not an immediate problem as I don't have a 4k screen yet, but I would like to know what I will need to do with my server before I get there.

From the above, it seems quicksync will not be sufficient to transcode 4k stuff, is that correct? Is running this on a windows machine going to present an unsolvable issue for 4k transcodes? Is GPU transcoding effective and does it require really hi end gpus, or could an older cheaper GPU solve this? Would moving to unraid improve this situation?

Generally advice I've seen in the past has always pushed towards using cheaper, older machines, but if handling 4k content smoothly changes that, I would like to figure out what I need as a baseline for my machine going forward, given that its uh... very old and I planned to replace it in the near future anyway.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the input everyone, seems like a solvable issue. I guess the interim solution is to just rip a 1080 and 4k copy and keep them separated, only access the 4k library where i can direct play. Then down the road I can move to hardware that can handle the transcodes and eliminate redundant files.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Is there a way to set plex to direct play video but force transcode audio at the same time?

My problem is that I use a Roku as the family's main streaming box, which doesn't support DTS. Some movies in my collection only have DTS for the main audio track, became an issue as I had my client set to force direct play, but since the player doesn't support DTS, it it would silently drop to the next supported audio stream, usually directors commentary. This can be solved by letting the player just transcode, but I am trying to avoid that. I would also like to avoid having to manually identify, convert and remux any files like this.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

CopperHound posted:

poo poo, how did you get your Plex client to automatically drop to the next supported audio track? I have the exact opposite problem with TruHD

It's just what the Roku app did, nothing intentional. It was pretty annoying actually because while it dropped down and played the next, visually it would still report using the main one. And when you manually select a different one, it would accept it, but still play the wrong track. Took me a while to diagnose the issue actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Khablam posted:

If you just set it to maximum quality or allow direct play instead of stream, it'll do what you're actually trying to achieve which is to transcode audio and re-wrap the video stream without transcoding.
Another potential solution if you never want to transcode video, is turn transcoding video off in the server. It'll then re-wrap and transcode audio (neither has an appreciable impact on performance) without touching the video.

Thanks man, that's exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate it.