Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

SCheeseman posted:

I'm really getting tired of Plex's fuckery. How is emby doing these days? Are there any actual open source projects that do this kind of thing that aren't Kodi yet?

Jellyfin (spin off from Emby) is open source, and doing "ok" so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Smashing Link posted:

I am transcoding to /tmp -- is that any different than using a RAMdrive?

Depends on the OS.
code:
df -h
Will tell you if it's using tmpfs or not.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

nexus6 posted:

Does Plex have support for multiple versions of the same movie e.g. theatrical cut, director's cut/special edition?

Put the files together in the same movie folder. Plex will merge them into a single movie object in your library. The object will have an icon indicating that there's multiple files. Go to the menu for that object and use `split` to break it into two movie objects in your library. Name each object individually, and now you have two library objects, one for each version.

It's a little bit janky since if either file gets updated, it likes to re-merge them.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

nexus6 posted:

Does this make the movie appear twice in the library listing, as if they were independent entries?

Yes, correct. So, for example, I have "Movie 1" and "Movie 1: Director's Cut". They're separate items in the library. Because Plex doesn't have the concept of "versions" of a single library item (outside of resolutions), you have to have separate library items for them. So, for some items, I have several library items (Directors, Extended, Theatrical, etc).

An alternative strategy is to have a separate library entirely, which is what I do for alternate versions of TV shows (normal TV and "extended" TV), etc.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

nexus6 posted:

Am confus. I've got a server running and I've been able to add my folks as managed users. When they installed the app on their TV I just needed to enter a code on plex.tv. My friend has downloaded the Plex app on his tablet but can't see how you join a server. Does he need a Plex account even as a managed user?

A managed user is just a sub-user of your Plex account. You'd sign in with your Plex account, and then they pick their managed user when prompted.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Sonarr is not very good at anime, unfortunately. Sonarr's assumed episode numbering/naming scheme does not mesh with anime, especially for sources that use absolute numbering (e.g. "ep 25" would be "s02e01" in the West). FileBot can help here, if you use that to rename things into a format that matches Sonarr's metadata provider.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Kingnothing posted:

Does sonarr not have absolute numbering or anime support? Medusa works well with anime in that regard (there’s an “anime” toggle for each show), so I’m super surprised sonarr doesn’t support it.

Sonarr has an `anime` button, which will show the absolute number in the GUI alongside each episode. But, in practice, the discrepancies between source file naming and what Sonarr is expecting prevent it from working. I've had to manually massage (via file naming or Manual Import in Sonarr) every anime series I've added. YMMV if a source has better naming.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Nocheez posted:

I just wish I knew why it stops advancing to the next episode after what seems like a set amount of time but damned if I can figure out what it is (on Chromecasts).

I thought this was a built-in thing to Plex? I can only get Playlists to play longer than a few episodes without stopping.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

EL BROMANCE posted:

I always buy Easystores, takes a few minutes at most to get the drive out and have never had any issues with them. Never had to RMA any of them either, but now my array of 2x8 and 2x10 I feel is worth replacing drive by drive with bigger variants (I'm tracking the 14TB and up ones) and then keeping the switched out ones in my cupboard as a 'back up of sorts' if needed.

Helps that my DAS doesn't require me to do the 'power pin trick' that a lot of housings do, it doesn't sound difficult but it's always nice to skip a step.

My very first shucked easystore was DOA, but I didn't know that, so I goofed around for hours with tape and eventually an x-acto knife to cut the pins. Eventually admitted defeat, threw the next drive in as-is, work perfectly.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You’re just giving people the wrong advice for their problem.

This is the old IT adage of "how do I do Y?" rather than "my problem is X, what's the right solution?"

You can answer "how do I turn off Windows Updates?" but the question that we should strive to answer is "my problem is stuff starting up after reboots, what's the right solution?"

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

FCKGW posted:

On the Unraid CPU the file size drops and average of 50%. On the AMD GPU transcodes drop the size about 90%. 10gb file goes to 1.5gb.

Can you share a MediaInfo paste of one of each type of file? My guess would be that the resultant files are different in some way (codec, etc) based on the size difference and the playback issues. The other thing to check would be how the files are being played between Plex client and Plex server. You can view this on the Plex dashboard while playing, and see if one file has to transcode while the other does not, etc.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I'm looking at building a dedicated box just for Plex (moving away from a TrueNAS jail). I've got an A2000 GPU which should handle all the transcoding I can throw at it (I believe). Needs to run Linux for HDR -> SDR on the GPU, right? Or am I overthinking it, and an 11th gen NUC just handles it via iGPU?

I am thinking the other major item would be enough RAM to just shove the entire transcode directly onto a tmpfs RAM disk, to avoid thrashing the SSD.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Khablam posted:

The iGPU and the A2000 should give near identical results unless you want to do more than 15 concurrent streams or so.

Looking at SFF cases and boards, anything major between Intel 10/11/12th gens? Looks like a lot of cheap 10th gen options, or worth springing for the newer chips?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
The current LS containers for Plex support hardware transcoding pretty easily now. Just a couple of extra lines in your docker-compose.yml (provided that you have all the host-level stuff done).

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Corb3t posted:

Jellyfin can actually transcode Dolby Vision files without issue, which Plex won't do because they don't want to pay the licensing fees as a paid app.

Does this work for Profile 5 content on a non-HDR TV? Or do you mean something differently here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Just posting that I have really enjoyed using Tailscale as a technology to get remote access to my stuff. Install it on my phone / laptop that I take places, and then onto a container on my server. Now I can get to everything, completely securely, including stuff like the IPMI for the server, etc. I found it to be a lot easier than reverse proxy for everything.