Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone been having issues with Plex streaming to iOS Safari browser lately?

Often when a show is selected the spinner will just go spinning away and nothing plays. Fiddling with buttons sometimes kicks it into going, using the skip forward or moving the scrubber around.

Also the fullscreen button seems to be missing after a recent update, or I can't find it.

This is without a plex pass or anything. Perhaps it might be worth getting the media player app instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

After that recent UI change I couldn’t play fullscreen on ios devices anymore via browser (I don’t have a plex pass/app) so I dumped it for emby. Been fine and fairly seamless so far imo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For playing from Plex onto iOS devices, what is the best option if I have a couple people in the house on different devices with different iOS store logins:

1) Buy the app unlock - I *think* this won't work for the other person though even if they are on the family sharing (IAP doesn't go that way?)

2) Subscribe to Plex pass for a month - does this unlock the app permanently or does it require you to stay subscribed?

I don't really want to have to subscribe to plex forever because all I want is the ability to play on iOS devices and the recent server update really messed that up in Safari. I tried out Emby but it was pretty buggy and crashed a lot leading to a lot of spousal eye rolling. Any other good options?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Did I miss out on Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on the plex pass? I had done a single mont subscription to see how I liked the apps and other features and would get a lifetime pass if it was a nice deal..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

bobfather posted:

Some people are randomly getting $75 lifetime offers. I'm a person that would do that in a minute, but I haven't gotten that email from them yet.

Yah I’d go for that too, and now that I’ve heard of it having to pay more is almost a no go :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

wolfbiker posted:

I wish Amazon Prime Video worked on the Rokus in Canada. Right now if you want to watch it in Canada your options are the Fire TV or the computer, that's it. I have a Fire TV Stick and don't like the interface and the YouTube web browser workaround is dumb.

AppleTV has it now too along with some smart tvs!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve never noticed the ability to set tags before, is that only on the web interface and not in the iOS app?

That would be handy for sorting stuff better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I had an issue with playing videos (that previously worked) on my apple tv plex client and removing the Codecs folder on my Plex server Docker install (running on unraid) cleared it up. Just in case anyone runs into something similar. You can just move/rename the folder for the same effect, it reloads it but I guess mine was corrupted or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

iajanus posted:

Any ideas why my plex server has all of a sudden randomly started throwing "transcoder errors" occasionally through my clients using local network chromecast? Nothing has changed, yet it is doing it every few episodes in multiple devices.

I had something similar with my appletv, I went to the codecs folder in plex and cleared it out (moved the folder just in case) and it reset them and it started working again.

Phone posting so don’t have the folder handy but it wasn’t hard to find. I run plex in an unraid docker.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

iajanus posted:

I've never played around with this stuff before, so Plex just rebuilds it on the fly?

Yeah, it repopulates the required codecs. I think something got out of whack with the player (atv in my case) and just starting fresh did the trick.

Safest thing to try is just rename the Codecs folder to Codecs_bak, it should re-add and repopulate Codecs folder.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ixian posted:

...whispers...come to Emby...you'll like it....

Seriously, I have lifetime passes for both, and still run my Plex server for the relatives I don't want to act as the IT guy for and teach them to switch, but Emby's clients - always a weak point - have vastly improved in the last 6-12 months while Plex has been...Plex.

On the server side I've always preferred Emby.

Hmm, I bought the plex app for iOS so I am forever chained to plex! :haw:

How is the Emby app compared to plex one?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hed posted:

I had problems the other night with a 2160p rip... I thought this would be fine since my Plex client is an ATV 4K but I got a “this Plex server is not powerful enough” about three seconds in.

I have a pretty beefy host (Xeon D-1541 8C/16T), it’s all Gigabit Ethernet, so what gives? Thanks to this thread I tried the “experimental player” checkbox and it didn’t work any differently, it sure wasn’t direct playing! It did randomly crash while playing other videos so I reverted.

Plex server was running in an LXC container with 4 virtual cores but I could bump it up, are there any guidelines or other ways to get this to Direct Play?

Out of curiosity, do you have a supermicro 1U 5018D-FN4T with that xeon-D? I have found with those because the fan isn’t mounted on the heatsink (instead just duct with a tiny fan blowing over it) it thermal throttles really easily. We use that particular server a lot at work and most of the time it isn’t getting pushed hard but once it does it fails HARD.

Might want to do some temperature logging and see if there is a similar issue..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ixian posted:

My AsRock board has an active 50mm cooler; I replaced it with a Gelid 50mm direct mounted which keeps it around 72c under full load and 38c idle and is also quieter. Definitely watch your temps with this CPU.

Nice setup! These are great cpus for home servers between the low power draw, tons of SATA connectors and mITX form factors.

Related, is it worth sticking older GPUs in a plex server (running on a container) for transcoding? I have a GTX 970 and was thinking if and when I upgrade it could be useful in that. My current unraid/plex cpu does support quicksync (i5-2500K) too I believe..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah like is it actually worth the power it sucks up to use it.. Most likely not in my case as I don’t transcode much stuff, most everything is 720/1080p BR rips and it plays direct to an appletv at 1080p so it takes minimal horsepower.

I’ll probably stick it in the system when I do upgrade and do some benchmarking along with kill-a-watt measurements..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just had a thought for a feature I would really like, ability to set up videos that are subsets of another video. Like them up so that they run from time A to time B and you can name them, make playlists etc.

This is for the musical numbers in kids movies so you can jump to them instantly and even have a playlist to cycle through.

I’m not in front of a pc right now to check my plex console but is this something that may already exist in some form? Got so many ripped disney dvds I would rather not have to chop the musical bits out and create separate files for but I will if that’s the only option..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

With Kodi you can do splits in the files using the .NFO, but Plex doesn't read these in. Maybe editing the MKV metadata and using chapter points might be a halfway solution though?

That’d be a good start if I can have them on the chapters.. Will probably clip the vids out in the end. If I set up a music library will it include videos in the folder?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not sure to be honest, that's kinda interesting though. I have a specific library setup for Concerts / MVs, but never really messed around with the audio side of things due to my library being all on iTunes/Match which works fine for me.

Yeah I use itunes music for my actual music too, would be nice to have the roll your own music video option in Plex though. Otherwise it’ll just be “other videos” type which is fine too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is it Plex Pass only or something? My ATV Plex looks like it always has.

Update it through the app store (if it hasn’t already)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I got that email and am mulling it over too. I don’t think I need any of the pay features right now but who knows what gets added in the future. Plus I have gotten a ton of value out of it for free already..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh nice I hadn’t realized there was a desktop version even, I have been using the web app to watch on pc. Will have to check it out!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Got an email for lifetime plex pass for $89 so the low of $75 from before is probably a thing of the past, dang.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Holy poo poo I had been looking for Wheels on Meals, I had a hankering to watch it again and haven’t seen it like 25 years.

It’s so goofy and yet badass I love it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone know why the Plex windows app will playback video at muich lower quality than the web based app? Seems to consistently be the way. But sometimes the app plays back just fine.

I don't think there is any reason to use the windows app over the browser one anyway I suppose.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hm wonder if this is related to how Sonarr couldn’t find a new show I wanted to add..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

This is the Plex thread not Pixel! :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone run UnRaid and have GPU transcoding going? I’m guessing containers won’t be supported but perhaps on a VM?

I think my 2500K board doesn’t have Vt-d support anyway which would make it a moot point, just wondering for when I upgrade the system. Got a $75 plex pass coupon and thinking of going for it finally.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Yup, it's working great for me. I use a Quadro P2000 but any Nvidia card will work. You'll need to use a special Unraid Nvidia build, there is a great tutorial by Spaceinvader One on how to set it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhHiFAXwOE

Very cool, thanks! Didn’t know there was a special build, does it get the auto updates or is it a manual update path each time?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just trying out adding my music to my plex library after years of using google play/apple music, might be a good option to move off paying the subscription service of apple music.

I think I saw sonos supports it, but carplay does not. Oh well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m transitioning off of apple music to plexamp and I like it well enough although it is a bit annoying in some ways. Ditching the visualizer to focus on actual useful stuff would probably be a good idea.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Honestly just using the regular Plex app for music is way better than Plexamp, at least on Android.

Yeah you’re probably right, same on iOS. I think only plexamp works on carplay though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah the PlexAmp carplay is pretty poo poo too unfortunately.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Oh. That's very disappointing to hear.

gently caress.

Still early days though, and it works ok for just pause and skip but the library interface hoo boy.

I’m optimistic it will get better.. Still dropping apple music subscription to move to plex (for now)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Man the shuffle on audio playlists is janky as hell. It will play 3-5 songs in a row from the same artists all the drat time. Makes apple music shuffle look good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

nexus6 posted:

My mind has been blown by the fact I can manually add torrents to my download client and as long as I correctly label them as 'sonarr' or 'radarr' they will be properly sorted into my Plex library. I use Jackett and while 90% of the time it does a good job at finding things, occasionally it will try to download a 25GB Bluray rip with 2 seeders instead of a 2GB file with 20 because afaik it prioritizes video quality over download speed/availability.

Whaaaaat ok I definitely need to get that going.. is that by configuring sonarr/radarr somehow? I run those in unraid dockers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Are there any plugins that can take Plex shows/movies that you have rated highly (5stars) and then ensure they are backed up remotely?

I was thinking it would be nice to back up stuff I really like to onedrive or other cloud storage and just have it do that automagically through plex.

Perhaps if the ratings can be parsed by an external application or if the plex plugin produces a csv with all the files/folders of the good stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks all, some good options. Probably will have to roll my own to protect my sacred animes (hah it’s more really just for music I don’t want to have to rip again).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

That pissed me off too because I had a co-worker think I was a CHUD after I gave them a Plex login and there was tons of Ben Shapiro-type bullshit on the main page.

I really am at a loss as to why I can't get this Live TV thing to show up on my account though. I'm in the US, and it shows up fine in the admin account. What the hell

Ugh yes it grossed me out seeing that as one of the top podcast options so I removed podcasts from the page altogether.

I kind of assumed the LiveTV has a bunch of alt right garbage on it because it’s free content to slam on there rather than any ideological reasons from the plex folks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Totally pointless observation but is the waveform in plexamp player totally useless? It doesn’t really seem to relate to songs with regards to loudness. Not a big deal.

I just want siri integration for 3rd party music players so I can voice control it but that’s an apple thing :sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

RIP Boxee Box

you goofy looking bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I had that one too

The Boxee Box’s greatest contribution was introducing the world to the combination keyboard/remote.

Yeah that was definitely its best feature, it was pretty neat.

The design went from “wow it looks so neat” to “ugh this is annoying” within record time after the unboxing. But thankfully it could just sit in the AV shelf once it was set up.