Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

teagone posted:

Yeah, the TS140 is a solid solution for anyone looking to get a dedicated Plex server up and running without having to build a PC of their own. The Core i3 version of the TS140 typically drops down to $199 USD. The lowest I've seen the Xeon version go for is $299. It maxes out at 4 bays for hard drives though.

Unfortunately in the UK the TS140 is quite expensive, normally it's priced about $450+ so unless you get lucky on eBay you might want to point him elsewhere. I have no idea why it's so expensive over here, seems ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Not entirely sure whether to post this here or in the NAS thread but I'm looking to move my plex setup to a dedicated media storage box rather than running it off my gaming pc so that I can run it 24/7 and also be able to sleep without fans running right next to my head. I can't get a TS140 here in the UK as they are all stupidly expensive for some reason so was thinking of putting together something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£78.77 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£39.84 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£16.28 @ Aria PC)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£30.87 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£74.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£39.34 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £280.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-15 12:44 GMT+0000

I want to be able to do max 3 streams at once with 2 of them being transcoded and I already have all the drives I need. I'm more familiar with intel based builds normally but there doesn't seem to be any cpu's of similar power for the same price and I'm trying to keep the price down as low as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions or does this seem reasonable?

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you're overshooting on CPU a bit. I have Plex as a VM on an ancient i7 860 with no problems. I'd also go for a Skylake i3 instead, similar performance with half of the power draw.

The i3 with a compatible motherboard seems to go for about £40 more for slightly less performance and a saving of about 40 watts, is the power draw going to make up the difference in cost within a reasonable amount of time or is it likely on the order of years to tell? Similarly I'm finding it difficult to tell if moving to a gold rated psu will be worthwhile.

Khablam posted:

I can transcode two HD streams of any bitrate on my spare 2010 Vaio. This is definitely overkill spec-wise, but given your low entry cost here, you may as well stick to what you're using so you have overhead for any other uses.
You don't mention storage outside of the SSD - there's no real need for an SSD here (but then again, why not) but you will probably want to throw a large disk in there for storage. You can then also just use it as a backup destination / general FTP server or whatever.
8Gb of RAM is a pretty cheap upgrade and likely worth it.

Yeah I've got 6 mechanical disks already in my current plex rig hence needing the case with loads of hdd spaces. 8gb ram seems sensible and shouldn't cost much more, should probably help with sabnzbd I guess even if it doesn't really directly affect plex from my understanding.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll go for the Intel processor and I hadn't thought about needing more 64GB for the SSD but having checked how much room my temporary download folders take up you're probably right to say that I should get a bigger one. I think I'll just wait for black friday and see what kind of deal I can get on all the parts to keep my costs down.

Also HDD consolidation is on the cards but sadly my student budget can't quite cope with that yet.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
My parents can't reliably open Microsoft word, there's no way in hell I'm going to make them download torrents. In addition the electricity costs for running my server come in at less than the price of a Netflix subscription and it has just as easy a learning curve. It really shouldn't come as a surprise that you're the only person arguing that some setup where you send magnet links to your parents to independently download is somehow easier than getting them to click on big icons on plex.

Edit: The idea that making people wait for how ever long their internet needs to torrent something compared to just pressing a button and getting a slightly lesser quality but almost indistinguishable version is somehow better I'd crazy too

DJ Burette fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 24, 2016

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
The other alternative if you're not transcoding and just want a nice interface for playing local or network share files is kodi. It's designed as a TV interface in much the same way as plex is but designed purely for local media.

I personally use plex as my backed but prefer the kodi interface so use that on my media playing device.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Haven't they been collecting anonymised usage data for years anyway? I'm struggling to work out what all the uproar is about except for the fact that you can no longer opt out. Is there more I'm missing?

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Moey posted:

It's the beginning of the end!!!!!!!

I really hope all the people in this thread complaining went to the bother of specifically un-ticking the box that allowed Plex to collect all this information in the past, otherwise this really is a storm in a teacup. I would probably go so far to say that they were being somewhat negligent or at least fools if they didn't collect this information, just so that they can identify problems with the software without having to wait for a thousand people to report it on their forums.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
I'm having a slightly strange problem with the movie metadata agents. When I try to pull information about a film either automatically or manually from "The Movie Database" it can't find any results regardless of what I put in. The logs don't seem to be showing any errors, it just can't find anything. Additionally, if I use the Plex agent then it will find the film but not pull any information, I assume because it actually tries to pull the info from the movie db anyway.

This has only just started happening in the last week or two. Has anyone else run into this or know if there's a way to reinstall the metadata agent, or am I going to have to reinstall the whole thing?

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
The new UI is nice so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment. Apparently sync has been much improved with this update too and now works a bit more consistently.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
You can do it with a program called nssm, which is just a gui for adding it as a service. Alternatively, on the Plex website there's a little program floating around that will handle autostarting it with Windows that I've used successfully in the past.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Is there some way to get Plex to tag shows correctly as they come into the library?

Two examples.... I have the Goldbergs (2013) in my library, but any new episode automatically gets added as The Goldbergs (1949). I also have Your Honor in my library, but it always tags it as the India version instead of the US version on ShowTime.

Driving me a bit nutty.

The best way I've found is that Plex actually recognises IMDb tags in titles, so as something downloads from radarr I have it set to rename it with the IMDb tag in the name somewhere, eg "Total Recall (tt038375) 1080p.mkv", this pretty much guarantees that Plex matches it correctly.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

nexus6 posted:

I have 2 methods of intervention if it reboots: TightVNC and Teamviewer. I've heard mixed opinions on Teamviewer but the fact is TightVNC is slow as hell even over the LAN with both machines connected via Ethernet.

Both run on startup and I have auto login on boot so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

What does cause problems is having Sonarr & Radarr boot properly. It appears that unless I run them as administrator (which requires manual intervention to click a button) they are unable to connect to my network drive that hosts all my media.

Have you tried setting the sonarr and radarr services in services.msc to logon with an account that has access to the network drives? This should avoid needing a manual intervention/popup.

By default it runs as SYSTEM which can't access remote shares. You also need to make sure all the network drives are accessed via UNC paths too I believe.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

EDIT: Nevermind I found the in-player option to select them. This differed from guides that said you select it prior to starting the video.

You can do both, on the android app it's available under playback settings if there are multiple languages. Click on the three dots, then playback settings, then select audio stream.

Alternatively, as you found out you can also set it once you've started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

forest spirit posted:

How is Jellyfin in comparison? I haven't looked into it at all, but that's the only real competition in that space?

I have jellyfin running as a backup and for that it's perfect. I haven't got other users using it remotely so I can't comment on that but I find it matches things as well as Plex does 99% of the time and its android client can play some items without crashing that Plex still can't. I'm looking at you aas subtitles on the firetv client :argh: