Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Anyone have any opinions on PseudoTV vs DizqueTV? Looking to create some fake TV channels with random themed programming to get over the whole "So much content, can't decide what to watch" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I'm planning to rebuild my Plex box using one of those Minisforum mini PCs. It'll be a combo PC like my current Plex box: half media, half for emulation (I also use it to run an arcade cabinet).
However, given it's a mini pc I'm limited to 2.5 inch drives at most. I'd like to throw a 4TB in there for my Plex stuff since I've almost filled my old 3TB but it looks like my only options are spending $400+ CAD on a 4TB SSD, or the only single 4TB 2.5 inch HDD that seems to be available in Canada (Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM). However it's less than half the price.

I guess my first question is would a 5400RPM drive be fine for Plex? I've always avoided them in the past in favor of 7200RPM drives. Second, I'll be moving the box around a fair bit, taking it to friends' houses, a cabin without internet, that sort of thing, and I'm a bit worried about the occasional small drop here and there causing issues with the traditional HDD. How durable are those smaller high density HDDs?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

univbee posted:

5400 rpm is fine for media. You might want to consider an external drive instead for simplicity, but if you're moving this box around a lot that might not be an option. You almost certainly want a small SSD to boot the OS from, though, new OSes run terribly on non-SSDs. Will your setup have room for two 2.5" drives (or will the mobo have an M.2 connector)?

I haven't decided on the exact model but they all have at least one M.2 slot and usually one or two 2.5 inch bays. The plan is to use the M.2 for a 2TB SSD for boot/emulation and then the 2.5 drive(s) for media/Plex.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Actually digging a bit more never mind, looks like an internal 2.5 HDD of that capacity won't work since these mini PCs typically only fit drives with a max height of 7mm (vs. the 15-20mm the HDDs apparently are).

SSD it is I guess.