Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'd suggest futzing around with any Direct Play / Direct Stream settings it has first. I've got some wonky TV recordings that my Roku TV will play with no audio unless I disable Direct Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

teagone posted:

Video with no audio while Direct Playing in Plex just means the device you're playing back media on doesn't support the audio type in the file—in your case, I'm assuming your TV recordings would have Dolby Digital audio, so a transcode of the audio to like Stereo AAC or something is 100% necessary on a Roku TV. Unless you have your Plex client device hooked up to a Dolby Digital/DTS capable AVR, your Plex server is going to almost always have to Direct Stream or fully transcode your media for proper playback.

Yeah, thankfully the new Plex app for Roku seems smart enough to only disable Direct Play on the specific videos I tell it to. It's such a small portion of my videos that I don't bother with manually transcoding them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Or you can create your own with a wifi-wifi bridge.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

that page posted:

Will it be available to everyone? The new app is launching as an early preview version for our Plex Pass subscribers. Once the preview period ends, it will be available to all users; we’ll make another announcement when that happens.

Also, they're still putting out bugfixes for PHT for now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think you're overshooting on CPU a bit. I have Plex as a VM on an ancient i7 860 with no problems. I'd also go for a Skylake i3 instead, similar performance with half of the power draw.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DJ Burette posted:

The i3 with a compatible motherboard seems to go for about £40 more for slightly less performance and a saving of about 40 watts, is the power draw going to make up the difference in cost within a reasonable amount of time or is it likely on the order of years to tell? Similarly I'm finding it difficult to tell if moving to a gold rated psu will be worthwhile.

A quick Google search shows the average kWh cost in the UK to be around £0.10 per kWh. A 40-watt load, over the course of a year, will consume 350.4 kWh, so that's £35 of increased electrical costs in year one alone. Running that math makes me awfully tempted to swap my i7 860 for an i3 6100 myself :v:

Also, for shits and grins, I just ran four transcoded streams simultaneously from my Plex VM to my desktop. Two 1080p, two 720p, and while it maxed out every CPU meter in VMware as well as driving the 'load' count through the roof in the Linux VM my Plex server runs on, all four streams ran flawlessly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chromecast needs to see internet access to work. Even if you set it up on a network, and it can join the network, it won't go any further until it can see the internet.

Any non-CC device should be fine on a local-only network, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slomomofo posted:

I'm not the most networking-savvy so I'm not sure... my apartment is wired with ethernet, so I have my router plugged into that. My router is reporting an external IP of 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, but whatismyip.com is reporting my IP as 24.xxx.xxx.xxx. I have upnp enabled on the router (it's a Netgear WNDR3400v3 if that makes any difference), and I've also forwarded port 32400 for my Plex media server (a Mac Mini). The Plex support pages are saying this is a double nat situation.

I've tried port scanning the IP that whatismyip.com is returning with Network Utilities, but can't find any open ports. I tried setting forwarding for 32400 on the inside and 80 on the outside, and the media server said it was able to connect fine but then when I tried to connect back using plex.tv from my phone it wasn't letting me.

A lot of ISPs specifically block 80 inbound because they don't want you to host regular websites. So that isn't helping you.

You're not going to find any open ports when directly connecting because if your ISP is already doing some form of NAT, the default configuration should (hopefully) be zero open ports from the actual WAN IP (24.x) to the private IP they assign you (10.x). In your shoes, if your ISP specifically hates Plex and you are stuck double-NATing, I would do this:

*Leave plex running on port 32400 on the machine it is on
*Set up port forwarding on your router to map some popular game port that they will forward (maybe 27015?) from the 10.x IP space to your 192.x IP space
*Ask your ISP to forward that same port (27015) to you

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got a Roku TV in my bedroom for Plex. The only downside is sometimes the app tries to direct play / direct stream content that it thinks it can decode the audio on, but it fails for whatever reason (it will play, just without sound). It might be my favorite overall experience for Plex and there's zero chance of poo poo ending up on the wrong inputs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

So a [NAS] -(physical)> [Server] -(LAN)> [Router] pumping content out to, say, a chromecast is a no go?

As long as the network link between the NAS, Server, and router are all wired, you're fine. This is exactly what I do; I have a NAS4Free SAN serving content over a wired connection, to an Ubuntu VM with Plex (also on a wired connection), and then all of my Plex clients are wireless.

If both your server and your client were wireless, you'd be chewing up a huge amount of wireless bandwidth. The server would need the full original file bitrate plus the transcoded output bitrate, and the client would need the transcoded output bitrate again. Unless you have the world's most perfect wireless setup and nobody is using anything else on it, you run a very real risk of needing more bandwidth than your router actually has available.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The big problem with laptops as servers (in general, not just Plex) is that the fans in them honestly all suck. Every time I've used a laptop in a 24x7 capacity, the fans start making noise, and it's not like you can just throw in whatever spares you have laying around. Laptops are built to a price and to cram as much into as little space as possible, so good fan bearings don't usually make the cut.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Feels like this could help pry Windows MCE out of a few remaining die-hards who love the DVR features.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cornjob posted:

1. Internet upload speed: you can set your speed under the "remote access" page. mine appears to be 6MBPS. right below that option, you can limit the remote stream bitrate. If I choose 20MPS, which setting wins? why wouldnt setting a 6MBPS upload speed limit the options under bitrate?

Do you mean your actual physical upstream connection is 6Mbps? Because if so, you should set any/all of those settings to that (or lower). Plex trying to push a 20Mbps stream out over a 6Mbps connection will just result in hellish buffering.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fuzz posted:

... people actually used WMC? What the gently caress.

My brother and my dad both went all in on it and are thus stuck in the loop of repeating hack after hack to try and keep them going.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seriously, don't underestimate the responsiveness of the Plex devs for Plex Pass support. I've had to hit them up twice now for the same issue and received extremely quick resolution both times.

My Roku TV was, for some reason, stuck on an old version of Roku firmware. I suspect it was due to being tagged as part of an old beta test. I could even do a successful offline upgrade to 7.5, but as soon as it connected to the internet, it would ping Roku's servers, which would tell it that 6.x was the latest and it would force-downgrade itself. While none of this was Plex's fault, they updated the Plex app for Roku twice where it would no longer boot on the 6.x firmware. Each time they re-tweaked the Plex Pass Preview version of the app and pushed it to Roku which resolved the issue in under 24 hours each time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Horn posted:

docker is just a really nice way of packaging apps. If you run something like unraid you can do a 1 click install of plex (or whatever else has a docker image). It also makes cleanup a breeze because you can just delete the image and whatever directories are mapped and you're done.

Agreed, it is actually quite a bit cleaner than relying on system packages. They based it off of linuxserver.io's work, which is the one I have been using. Docker by design is intended to store your data / settings outside of the actual container, so if Plex seems to be acting up, three commands or so will completely blow it away and reinstall it. You could probably run multiple instances of it on a single system if you sorted out the networking.

It also autoupdates when the container runs, so you can just restart the container instead of manually updating the Plex package.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Trip report: took all of four commands or so to seamlessly switch from the linuxserver.io Plex image to the official one. Didn't even need a rescan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Plex server on the server, Plex clients on the client computer and the phone. The Plex phone client can act as a remote control for other Plex players.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ooooh, just noticed that Plex added a built-in delete button when dealing with duplicates.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it possible that the real bottleneck isn't the CPU, but the USB interface? USB drives aren't generally known for their performance, and if you have everything hanging on a single USB port, you're taking a small amount of bandwidth and splitting it up big time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, what kind of wireless are we talking about? 802.11g / n? AC? 2.4/5GHz?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Does it matter?

To answer this - it is only typically an "issue" if you are short on compute resources relative to the number / type of streams being requested. If you're only ever going to have one stream, your server isn't doing anything else, and your CPU is at least as good as a Core2Duo, then you shouldn't need to worry about whether or not it's transcoding.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Was it really due to the content, or just the sheer abuse of unlimited?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FCKGW posted:

It's still perfectly legal to rip your own discs so even if they did have specific movie information, there's nothing to say HOW you acquired that media so there's no legal liability for the user.

It seems like it would be highly unlikely for a home user to get a file that is, say, an MD5 hash match with a popular shared file, just by ripping their own media.

Of course selling out their userbase would literally kill the product overnight, so I suppose that's the one thing keeping the user safe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

The tenants of any good privacy policy is to collect only the data you need and retain it for only as long as you need it. Having the data and swearing to never use it won't help if you are ever breached or have to fold and someone else buys up your assets

You're right, it's far from perfect. With that said, clearly they are listening to the community because today's update should calm a lot of fears.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Under the vague terms of the original revision, "info such as..." could've easily included a MD5 hash of the file being played. Doesn't tell Plex what it is by itself, but identifies a unique file.

If they collected that, and were then either compromised or sold or otherwise got that info to someone who wanted to, it wouldn't be too hard to see the exact same file being played across thousands of different users, and it also wouldn't be too difficult to cross reference that to md5 hashes of files on popular torrent sites to actually identify the content. Now you've got a list of people that you can reasonably say obtained a file illegally, because Plex obtained more info than strictly necessary.

Now that they've specifically come out and said they're obfuscating the data to rounded values, this shouldn't be an issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I want off the Harmony bandwagon too. My bedroom has a Roku TV and I'm perfectly happy with it. Living room has a separate Roku 3 and an Xbox One and those are the only two things I switch between these days.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How are you on disk space? In the past I had my transcode directory pointing at a disk that would fill up on occasion and it would murder the server when that happened.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Finally decided to get off my rear end and add Plex to my reverse proxy setup so that it can be accessed from networks with dumb security protocols (i.e. that block outbound traffic to ports that aren't 80/443 among few others). Used this Apache config and so far it seems to be working, though plexpy might be a bit paranoid about claiming it's down.

Looks like I've got some more work to do. I can make it work (i.e. streams just fine) but Plex apps on other devices complain that they can only get an indirect connection.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 4, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I wish there was a way to recommend remote clients to default to higher settings. The vast majority of the people I've shared Plex with are newbies to it without an eye for video quality, so they stick with the default 720p settings.

My server has CPU to spare and I don't pay for power on it, so it doesn't make a huge difference...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What docker container were/are you using?
Edit: I'm guessing you're running this one now? I'm using the LSIO Plexpy container already so I'll give this one a shot later. https://hub.docker.com/r/shiggins8/tautulli/

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 21, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

Fixed for you. I call this magic trick, customer service!

*Planned fix doesn't work or doesn't show up in some magically short timeframe*

"Plex lied to me to keep my money! loving scumbags, I wish they had just refunded me instead of trying to keep me as a customer!"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the official docker container is the closest thing to a full-assed *nix implementation. A web interface update would still be better, but docker stop plex && docker start plex isn't hard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How old is that Xeon? Rule of thumb is something like 2000 on Passmark is enough for one transcode, and I can't think of any 8-core Xeons that would be 4000 or below on that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ah, I haven't tried transcoding 4K sources yet. I've got dual E5-2620 V1s in mine and when transcoding 1080p or less it never even has to work constantly - it caches ahead and Plex throttles back.

Edit: Just tested one. Solid 40-50% CPU usage so far, and I have less overhead than you do (Plex in a Docker container on Ubuntu). It is going fast enough to throttle down, but only just.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 25, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I also just realized that my test was transcoding down to 720p. Targeting 1080p 20Mbps brings the CPU load to a solid 50-55%. Yeah, 4K transcodes are gonna hurt.

Oddly enough I have two different source files for the video I'm testing, one 4K and one 1080p. I would have figured that for any client requesting 1080p or less it would default to using the lower-res source but it seems to be using the 4K source no matter what.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Going back to 4K discussion - is it possible to set up Plex to make/store an optimized version of 4K content at, say, 1080p / 20Mbps, and then use that as the source for further transcodes if a lower bitrate is requested?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On what sort of device? Only device I do that with is a Roku TV, so I use its own built-in sleep timer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dren posted:

I think so but I’m not sure. I guess I should bench it. Is there an easy way to bench it?

Look up your CPU on cpubenchmark.net and see what it scores there. Divide that by 2000 and that's roughly the number of concurrent 1080p transcodes your server can handle. Done.

The only thing I optimize are 4k source files, because transcoding those sucks up a ton of CPU. Even then I only do it once to 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure I've seen that come up on the Plex forums before. If I remember correctly, the general response was a solid "why". If your storage box can't handle transcoding duties, then just install Plex on a separate box that does have the horsepower.