Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If Plex could interface with my TV tuner my Chromecast would be the One True Box I've always dreamed of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

FormatAmerica posted:

I've been using a HD Homerun Plus with Plex and HTPC, Chromecast and Tablet and it seems to be working out okay.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/101755-hdhomerun-viewer/

I've had it for under a day and in the process of setting it up found out my cable provided dropped all their clearQAM channels but I'm getting by with OTA.

Only one of their three players transcodes to h264 and it seems like that's the only way to get reliable playback with the Chromecast specifically.

Edit: still on sale

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Compatible-Streaming-HDTC-2US/dp/B00GY0UB6I

I find it odd that this seems to be the only way to do live OTA TV through Plex when it can play back my .WTV recordings no problem, which are all MPEG2/AC3. Oh well, guess I'll give that HDHR a shot.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

There's no good way to have Plex Media Server stream live TV from a capture card, is there?

Currently, if you buy an HDHomeRun Extend, which can transcode the signal in-hardware to h.264/AAC for tablet/phone playback, you can get it into Plex using a thing called HDSurfer, which is a Python script that is a big enough pain in the rear end to set up and use that I eventually said "gently caress it" and stuck with the antenna hooked up to the TV. I do use Plex to play back my WMC recordings, which are kept in their original MPEG2/AC3 form and it keeps up with transcoding and playing them back over Chromecast just fine. Its metadata scraper can't read the filenames well, but if you have a Windows Media Center DVR set up and point it at the recordings folder and have Plex treat it as home videos they all play just fine. Considering the ease with which it handles the recorded files, which are in no way compressed or anything from their original broadcast form, I imagine it wouldn't take much to make live playback/transcoding happen as well through Plex. They just haven't done it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't understand why anyone puts up with all that poo poo.

Just download it all and continue to pay for cable TV/Netflix/Amazon/whomever to appease your personal Gods of Moral Correctness. It's like a million times easier to download it from usenet or torrents.

Recording playback pretty much just works. I'd like to watch some stuff live, though, and torrents just don't do the trick for that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I got HDHR Viewer to work through Plex. Casts through Chromecast like any other transcode. This combined with the existing ability to play .WTV recordings made by WMC and my phone + chromecast have achieved de facto "The One True Box" status. Doing it with an HDHomeRun Extend, which already had an Android app to send live TV to the phone, but it doesn't Chromecast (yes, screen casting works and yes, it's as garbage as always).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Live Motherfucking TV Update

I've been screwing with HDHR Viewer on Plex for the last week or so, here's what I experienced. First off, I'm using a Silicondust HDHomeRun Extend, aka an HDTC-2US. It's made only for OTA and unencrypted QAM and distinguishes itself by having a built-in hardware transcoder, meaning if you use Silicondust's Android viewer app (which doesn't support Chromecast) you can watch TV on your phone or tablet in the form of an h.264 video with AAC audio in one of several profiles. I'm using Plex to send its streams to my TV using a Chromecast on an 802.11n wireless network. Mileage on a FireTV/Stick, Roku, Keurig 2, or XBox One may vary. I'm told this all works with the CableCard models as well.

First of all, Plex does not want to play live TV on my phone. It'll play for a second or so and then quit. My phone is a Nexus 4, so video playback shouldn't really be a problem, but that's still happening. I tried turning off the experimental player as suggested in the Plex forums thread for the channel, but that resulted in a "cannot play this video" message (ironically with video and no audio playing in the background). So that's happening.

Also, I expected the hardware transcoder to help this whole situation but it doesn't appear to. The plugin does acknowledge its existence in the form of asking you to select a quality level, but even when you have hardware transcoding on the Plex server still does its own transcoding of that resulting stream. So the channel gets transcoded twice. I had hoped to be able to serve TV for my wife while I'm computering without pegging the CPU, but at the moment, at least on the Chromecast, that's not happening. Since it insists on transcoding the fucker anyway I go ahead and throw the untouched MPEG2/AC3 stream at Plex straight from the HDHR for max quality.

The Chromecast (or maybe Plex, I'm not sure) also appears to knock poo poo down to 30 fps. If you're into sports it means you lose that liquid-smooth 60fps motion that's nice to have. The 30 is consistent and smooth, though, so I don't see it as a big deal. On 1080i channels, Plex's lovely deinterlacer rears its head. If you have any kind of overscan on your TV poo poo's going to get weird due to the interlaced picture then having to scale itself, but if your 1080p TV is showing 100% of the image (as in each pixel of the image is a pixel on the TV), all you'll see is some interlacing on horizontally scrolling text and it's otherwise fine. You'll only notice the 30fps thing on live 60fps programming like sports, and you'll only notice the lovely deinterlacer when there's a crawl, and it's the kind of thing I notice but my wife doesn't. If you're watching a 24fps scripted show like Bones or Parks and Recreation you wouldn't even know there wasn't just an antenna hooked up to the TV.

The Plex Plug-in does leave a lot of the customization up to you. If you want a custom lineup there's no GUI way to do it - you'll have to pull the lineup xml file down from your HDHomerun and edit it in notepad to get rid of all the Jesus channels and QVC. That's also a good time to rename your channels if you want or reorder them. Once you've done that, the plugin will pick it up just fine as long as you point it at whereever you put your xml file. It also supports channel logos, but again you've gotta go get em. It has the option to match logos to the channel name or channel number, I went with number just to save myself some time and it picked them up easily. With the custom lineup made and channel logos grabbed my channel list looks like this:

The plugin also has the ability to use XMLTV to give you a program guide. Unfortunately, I was flummoxed enough by the process of doing this that I walked away from it in the hopes of my next attempt with a fresh brain turning out better. Here are the broad strokes: you use a program called zap2xml to pull TV listings from a listing site called Zap2It, using your login there to grab listings for you area and provider and put them in an XML file. You then point the Plex plugin at the XML file zatp2xml generated, and it matches that to your lineup.xml file and shits out a program guide. Once you have that working you use task scheduler to run zap2xml with the appropriate command line options for your situation every [X] days so you always have listings. It's quite the loving ballet. I'm still stuck at the part where you get zap2xml to poo poo out a usable XML file for you, I'll update once I get over that hurdle.

If you're stupid like me and want everything you watch to be watchable through Plex, read this thread to get started. There's a lot of manual work to this, but there are enough nerds who are super into this poo poo right now that I'd expect it to get easier as time goes on. Feel free to throw me questions if you're having trouble.

Now I appreciate Windows Media Center.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Roundboy posted:

What was the cost of the hardware needed to add live video in?

Tuner plus antenna? 100% of my TV is streamed or downloaded, so having a live option for news is a big plus.

Edit: looking at the 2 tuner HD option from amazon. This might just be doable unless you have some crazy other cost

I use this and this. You do also have the option of just getting the antenna and hooking it up to your tv.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Roundboy posted:

True, but I am very adamant about keeping everything to one interface. The biggest complaint I get is having to switch HDMI ports or use this box vs that box. Everything is through roku 3 or fire TV depending on the TV.

Plus this let's me use the antenna in a good spot and send signal to the tv way underground that would not enjoy the same signal otherwise

That's actually part of why I'm doing it that way too. That antenna in the "library" in our house has a much more dependable signal than the Mohu Leaf in the living room hooked up to the main TV. Our house isn't properly wired for cable yet - doing that and ethernet is on my to-do list - so I can't just put a bigass antenna in the attic and solve the problem with one feel swoop. We don't really miss cable so there's not a lot of motivation on that project, but not having to dick around with the antenna to find "the spot" is nice.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

How's the XBox One app? I've been thinking of getting PlexPass for it since the XBone seems to handle 60hz HDTV streams really well (while the Chromecast tops out at 30 fps), making it a candidate for One True Box status - does it have a greater ability for Direct Play? Being able to let my wife watch something without my main desktop having to transcode it would be a real plus.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

Sadly, it's the only option if you want 4K content.

I'm good with 1080p.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I just purchased a TV show on iTunes and want to view it through Plex. Is there a way or do I have to find a way to strip out the DRM?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201128288-Why-don-t-videos-from-iTunes-Amazon-etc-play-

Gotta strip it

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I strongly suggest something with an Ethernet port for just works/no stuttering Plex.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

jonathan posted:

Only lovely thing with Google Play music is it randomly replace your uploaded files with PG-13 versions of the songs, and will auto detect words like gently caress and just randomly mute the song in spots. Listening to the newest redman album and it hosed it up pretty bad.

Yet it hasn't touched my Cannibal Corpse albums.

I thought they had stopped doing that, or it was a setting you turned off in the manager.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My wife and I have sex more often ever since we got an 802.11ac router

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I've lost the thread of what that guy wanted but it seems like everyone agrees that Japanese comics don't matter and I'll gladly sign on to that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My TV folder is a loving mess of nonsense with random episodes of disparate shows in the root folder and seasons of other shows in their own folders. And it all scrapes. I consider myself lucky.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

teagone posted:

So Plex will most definitely be coming to next Apple TV now that they've opened up the new tvOS to developers. It'll likely be the best client app on a tiny streamer box considering how slick the new iOS app is.

20bux says universal search doesn't scrape it and channels don't work.

That's if Apple doesn't shitcan it for "piracy" all of a sudden.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Roku has had universal search for years and it's never worked with Plex either.

Same goes for XBox

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Get. loving. In.

Universal search in Apple TV will indeed be accessible via API after all.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/03/apple-tv-universal-search-api/

Wow, the lack of arbitrary restrictions on media playback in the new AppleTV seems really unlike Apple. Stebe would so not be okay with this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

teagone posted:

Pretty much this.

XBox One still wins my heart for having an OTA tuner and the ability to play MPEG2 files without transcoding, but being able to bark "[show name]!" into the remote and having your copy of it in PiracyApp show up next to iTunes and Hulu Plus is pretty loving rad of AppleTV.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I was never particularly impressed with PHT anyway. On my PC I've been using the Windows Store app which is fine. As far as Plex's future is concerned, all I really want is for it to keep working, keep up with new formats, and maybe start giving a poo poo about live OTA TV.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Burden posted:

Yeah that is really all I need to have a complete solution. I hope the people at Silicon Dust who make the HD home runs come out with an app for Plex or Plex figures out away to integrate live tv, because I want to be able to watch OTA through Plex.

It's a tough one because for sports you really do need 60 fps (which Chromecast v1 doesn't even support, IIRC), and god knows you need a better interface than what Channels can give you. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

teagone posted:

Chromecast v1 can do 720p60. It caps at 30 fps in 1080p.

Ahh, well that makes it a nonissue with games on Fox and a couple of my locals, at least.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"You're wrong for wanting our device to support things that don't directly benefit our a la carte media store." -Apple

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

DJ Burette posted:

Yeah I've got 6 mechanical disks already in my current plex rig hence needing the case with loads of hdd spaces. 8gb ram seems sensible and shouldn't cost much more, should probably help with sabnzbd I guess even if it doesn't really directly affect plex from my understanding.

Have you thought about consolidating hard drives?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

teagone posted:

There's a new media optimizer feature in the early preview build for Plex Pass users: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/ar...2015+Newsletter

Basically it allows you to pre-transcode items in your library and have a transcoded copy that co-exists with your original copy. If someone outside your network requests content that you "optimized" the server obviously won't need to transcode since there's a copy that's ready to be direct played/streamed. This is a good feature for people who have a NAS (or an older PC like the goon below!) as their PMS who have a lot of people accessing it remotely on various devices.

Considering how cheap hard drive space is, I'd be tempted to fill some lovely Atom box with drives and have it pre-optimize everything over a painful few weeks, then just have it pre-optimize new items when they appear. That way I could actually turn off my desktop sometimes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not positive why you're asking this. You won't increase the quality by going from avi to mp4.

Maybe he's thinking by converting the video to MP4 beforehand the optimizer wouldn't have to do as much work, since client devices generally don't support DVD's original format of MPEG2 but can directplay most forms of h.264 just fine?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

diremonk posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'd like to eventually have a majority of my files in a format that doesn't need to be transposed since I share my plex library with my sister and parents. While the system that I have plex installed on is decently gast (old i7 core) I'd like to try and cut down on the comments I get about it taking a long time to actually start the video.

I was trying to figure out what would be the best thing to do either use handbrake to convert the videos or let plex optimize them and then delete the originals. I'm not really wanting to do it to save on space, it's more of speeding things up for people.

Honestly .avi rips of DVDs shouldn't taxing to transcode and are directplay-capable for lots of client devices, so format may not be the problem. My years-old Phenom II 955 has no trouble with bigass 1080p BluRay rips. Your i7 may be old but it's still an i7 and transcoding really doesn't take that much CPU power. If you're getting comments about how long it takes to start an SD video I'd be curious what their downstream is, what your upstream is, and how everyone is connected to their network.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Xbone app supports channels now, so that's nice.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Is anyone using simplex on atv4? I just got it ($3, so whatever). The cover art takes annoyingly long to load.

Why aren't you using the real Plex app?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Its for my inlaws. The plex app is working fine, but Simplex is a bit more intuitive to use, IMO.

I thought about setting my inlaws' FireTV up with Plex and pointing it at my library. Glad I slept on it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cornjob posted:

The plex app on ftv is nothing like the plex app on atv.

My point was that bringing in-laws into one's piracy universe probably isn't worth the headaches.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cornjob posted:

This is everything thats wrong with plex. If it loses your edited info, (maybe you move everything to a new HHD) then you have to re enter the data all over again.

plex needs to support local metadata.

I have done so much Sort Title poo poo with big franchises and set so many posters to the kind of poster I want that starting fresh would be horrible. Sign me up for local metadata storage.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"Home Videos" is definitely handy. I have a library of dumb poo poo I've made with my GoPro set to Home Videos, and another one of just videos we've taken of the baby and our pets.

Come to think of it, those are actually home videos and I'm not doing anything clever.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My TV show folder is just a pile of unorganized episodes named the way THE SCENE named them and Plex only has trouble scraping Wrecked, which apparently shares its title with a 2008 trucking reality show.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

You tell them to get the media using torrents and a VPN and that their kid can handle that part. Maybe if you feel like it you can show little Dylan how to fix an incorrect metadata match.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

This would be handy in my house. We use an Xbox one with its goofy OTA tuner but there's also an HDHomerun on the network for PCs and phones. DVR through Plex isn't perfect in that setup, but it's a lot better than the nothing MS ended up doing for owners of the tuner.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

What do SlingTV, Playstation Vue, and now Plex have against the standard grid-style TV guide? It works, it makes visual sense, it packs a good amount of information on the screen at once, it's easy to see if you have overlapping recordings set...why do they all feel the need to be so precious about layout?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Plex (BETA) DVR Trip Report

My TV tuner is an HDHomeRun Extend and my go-to client device is an XBox One. The server is a Phenom II 955 desktop - not bleeding edge but more than up to the task of transcoding a stream without being a bottleneck.

Video Format Spergery

First recording test was an episode of The Price Is Right. I chose it since it's the highest "difficulty level" for Plex - a 1080i, full-framerate show. Some players (including HDHomeRun View) can't quite get the deinterlacing and motion right on that kind of video - it'll do fine with 24fps scripted content like an episode of CSI, but with something shot with TV-rear end TV cameras like sports or news issues can come up.

My network tuner has built-in transcoding hardware that Plex can use to just save the show as h.264 video instead of its original MPEG2, but for the first recording I told it not touse that. Right off the bat, when playing back the recording the Plex server is transcoding for the XBox One. That shouldn't be necessary - the XBox One is quite capable of playing back unmolested broadcast MPEG2, and does so with the OTA tuner flawlessly. So my desktop's CPU is doing unnecessary work and skipping ahead of commercials takes a little longer. This is annoying, but the kind of thing that'll probably be fixed down the road. The transcoder also isn't very good at dealing with the aforementioned deinterlacing, so the motion was a little smeary and not as butter-smooth as it normally is when I'm watching OTA TV via the OneGuide.

So for the second recording (another episode of The Price is Right), I told it to use the hardware transcoder at its highest setting and put it directly in an MKV container. In this case, the XBox One was able to Direct Play the file just fine, so that's nice, but using the HDHR's transcoder caused a very real quality hit. Visible compression artifacts everywhere, despite being on its highest setting. Motion as also worse - at first it seemed smoother, but there was visible hitching that was impossible to un-see. So uglier images, moving less consistently smoothly. But CPU usage on the desktop was basically zero, so that's nice.

Interface/UX

At first I was put off by the fact that the program guide doesn't use a grid layout like a cable box or Tivo, but now that I've spent some time with it I kind of like the pile of shows it presents you. With the shopping and Jesus channels filtered out, I have 19 TV channels. If I had 200 channels it wouldn't work well, but giving me poster carousel of what shows are airing now and what shows are starting soon actually works quite well. I also like how it puts things like movies, news, and sports in their own little ghettos. You can search about two weeks into the future, and you get the usual series record options you're used to.

The recordings get put in the same folder as your TV Show library. I'm not sure how it would handle it if you had more than one folder in your TV show library, and the ability to set a specific folder elsewhere to save all these recordings would be nice. Once the recording is done it'll show up in your TV library alongside all of your Linux ISOs like it's no different.

You can't watch the recordings as they're recorded, but oddly you can open the recording's file in the ".grab" directory using VLC as it's recording.

Overall it's neat and handles our light DVR needs fine, but if you're looking for something to replace your Roamio or still-working Windows Media Center setup you should probably wait for issues to get ironed out and live playback to be supported.

UPDATE: I asked r/Plex about the server transcoding MPEG2 for the XBox One client, and a Plexman appeared and told me they pushed an update to the remote player profile to let the XBox direct play MPEG2 files. So that should be a solid playback quality improvement!

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So it'll Direct Play the recordings on an XBox One now, but I'm having audio sync issues. I can't tell if it's an issue of the recorder having trouble coping with a borderline OTA signal, or if the Wifi isn't keeping up (XBone is on 5GHz, PC is wired) and that's causing weirdness, but I'm going to put a better antenna on the HDHomeRun and see if that helps. Beta software, folks.