Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So I'm a long time XBMC/Kodi user who is trying out Plex. I'm using an Nvidia Shield as my server that streams content from a network share.

Last night I was playing a movie that has 7.1 audio and I kept getting a message that I didn't have enough resources to play the file. Another movie with 5.1 sound works just fine. I did some reading and it seems that in most cases, the 16GB of space on the device may not be enough. Would adding an SD card to handle temp storage help fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

OP is four years old. Is there any recommeneded server to use? Or would any of the mid to high end NUCs with Ubuntu work?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

For anyone running Ubuntu, is it better to start with a new HDD, format it, and then copy over data?

I have a new 8TB that I'm using as a replacement for a few 2TB and 3TB NTFS drives. I've yet to order my new server but should I wait or will I have issues connecting the 8TB drive, formatted with NFTS and all my media, to the new Ubuntu setup?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Can you still connect a GSuite Drive?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

teagone posted:

Netflix HD video bitrate is likely a lot lower than the encodes you download/rip, and are optimized for streaming. Netflix maxes out at ~6Mbps bitrate on 1080p new releases https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/per-title-encode-optimization-7e99442b62a2

Can confirm. one my of old houses only had 5MB DSL and I could stream Breaking Bad in 1080p but I had to pause all my downloaders but it worked.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Atomizer posted:

WD My Cloud Pro PR2100 or PR4100; 2 or 4 bays, respectively, with a 48 or 90 W PSU (dual-PSU capable,) respectively. I just got one of the latter myself, and while I'm still exploring it, it looks like it'll be pretty fantastic for PMS; it should be able to hardware transcode (QuickSync) 3-4 FHD streams simultaneously.

The only main issue with the Shield was that it couldn't deal with large directories, i.e. individual folders with around 100 files or more, which is pretty ridiculous; as a result it just wouldn't "see" files beyond a certain point so it would look like some of your content was just missing. I'm not sure if that's still an issue but I'd hope they've fixed it by now!!!

How much noise and heat do these things generate? The way my media room is setup I may just need to set this on the bottom shelf or punch a hole in the wall and run cable to it in the storage room.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I tried Plex years ago on a lovely Windows machine and recently installed PWS on my 1st gen Shield and I'm happy with performance. In the beginning I did have some performance issues but that turned out to be a HDD that was dying slowly.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the thinking behind the DVR function too.

Well Kodi/XBMC has these as well but gets banned quite a bit because of Android box resellers.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I had to actually institute a "I'm not troubleshooting whatever Kodi thing you bought from a guy on Facebook Marketplace" rule among the extended family

yeah I learned by lesson during the IceFilms/Megaupload fiasco. After that I've sworn off TvAddons and such. There's some kinda neat stuff there but it breaks every 6 months because the Dev gets annoyed at support requests or servers get raided.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I won't say the name (you can you can just google "Watch X on Kodi" and see the results) but there is one that is most popular Kodi add on that gets shipped. This is a repository that gives you access to several lovely, illegal, third party addons that let you stream everything from games, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, sports etc. Pretty cool if you want to watch live TV from Japan or India but you constantly are updating and changing applications.

For a while, everyone was literally getting mom and grandma to cancel cable, sign up for a higher end internet plan, and depend on a small Chinese Android box which works great until it doesn't. Usually these devices are not approved by Google so you can't use the official app store or they come with custom firmware/skinned version of Kodi that you can't easily fix. Even posting questions about these addons will get you a ban from the forum you are post one. Unless its reddit.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm new to Plex but this means that you won't have to transcode?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ixian posted:

If your Pi alternative is "build something dedicated" it's certainly worth looking at a Shield first.

The Shield is worth it on so many levels. Ifyou decide to ditch Plex its a great box for Kodi, Emby, or just plain ol' VLC if you want. Plus if you use NetFlix or Prime you don't have to struggle with 3rd party addins.

poo poo just works as soon as you plug it in.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I use my old HTPC (an Acer Revo 3610) as a NAS. It's got a whopping 4GB of RAM and has 2 or 3 USB drives hanging off of it and also runs Sonar and Torrents. My Plex server is my nVidia Shield which does all the transcoding stuff.

The old NAS just server files from the USB drives to the Shield and which I then watch on Plex/Kodi/mobiel/FireStick, etc.

I know as soon as I go Hog Wild on an expensive NAS someone will come up with a new unlimited Cloud drive or something.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I should mention that my NAS and Shield are wired, not using WiFi if that matters.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

vaginite posted:

Spec chart helps alot - thanks - think I'll consider a shield per the later comment though.

So if I get an Nvidia shield and cat5 it in to my router, wire it to something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235160

Cat6 if you want gigabit ethernet.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

welp, its been so long since I used Cat5 and I shouldn't post before coffee.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Anyone tried the Serenity plug app? Looks like its an interface for Plex and Emby on Android TV

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This is a good time for me to ask. What tools you guys use to monitor your home network?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I bought a yearly Plex pass but when I log into the webUI I still see the "Go Premium" button. Did something not apply or does it take a day or two?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Someone made a Plex version but looks like its mostly for the Shield.

https://old.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/awsvp9/i_made_my_own_pseudo_tv_for_plex_with_kodi_and/?ref=share&ref_source=link

I've yet to try it but I'm a little learly of downloading random APKs made my redditors.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is there a good tutorial for connecting a GSutie drive to Plex? I guess the one suggested method is to encrypt the uploads for added protection?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Late to the game but Emby Media Manager used to be the goto for file renames in XBMC.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Shield works for me as far as Plex but I only share out to one occasional user. I do thing the UI is fugly and I wish they would have the same format for all supported versions.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Comcast’s bandwidth limitations that I don’t really care to pay to get around stifle any desire I have to be a Netflix for other people. I feel that high level Plex sharing is going to be the new Kodi box media/legal concentration sooner or later and they’ll be pressured into changing the software.

There's already services offering paid monthly access to massive, shared Plex libraries and reddit has /r/plexshares which is public.

I personally only share out plex to my son and his family and use it for when I travel. I dabbled in setting up Kodi for people back when Icefilms was big but Mega shutting down caused a poo poo storm and that was the end of me offering help to family for things like that

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Yes I know there's a home networking/storage thread but I just wanted to ask a quick question.

To those running synology at home. What is the max I can do? if I use 4 8TB drive then that means I would have 32TB of storage but no backup, right? But if one drive fails, I just need to replace and let it rebuild?

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 8, 2019

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

I would, at minimum use SHR so you get 24tb of storage, and 1 drive of redundancy, meaning you can lose one drive at a time and still be able to rebuild. Though be aware, the rebuild process is LONG as your data is at more risk until it’s finished. I think my last rebuild took a week of constant read/write and I only use 4tb drives.

RAID isn’t a backup, so I pay for an offsite service for family photos and such. I’m ok with the rebuild risk for movies and such.

SHR is nice because if you start getting larger drives later on, you can integrate them into the pool.

yeah I'm not too worried about backup. I mainly just want to stop daisy chaining USB drives to save some room.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have a Gen1 Shield and use both the joystick and remote for headphones and don't have any issues if I walk behind a wall that is say, 10-20 feet away.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Warbird posted:

So if I wanted to point handbrake at my movies folder and tell it to go ham, what would be the go to settings these days? h264 mp4s?

h265 if your playback device supports it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I was waiting to try it when they released a Shield version of the server.

Honestly I was fine with Kodi but I wanted to access my stuff while travelling so Plex took care of that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

So the new Raspberry PI is out and I wonder if they could be used as a Plex server?

Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
1GB, 2GB or 4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (depending on model)
2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet
2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
Raspberry Pi standard 40 pin GPIO header (fully backwards compatible with previous boards)
2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
2-lane MIPI DSI display port
2-lane MIPI CSI camera port
4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A*)
5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A*)
Power over Ethernet (PoE) enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)
Operating temperature: 0 – 50 degrees C ambient

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Smashing Link posted:

Has anyone gotten Plex Media Server to run on an android device other than Shield TV?

I'm sure it's possible. The APK is for Android TV, not specially for the Shield.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

quote:

Our moderators are now able to enable any number of alternate orders for specific series (at their discretion).

So business as usual?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm plex pass and it only showed up on shield within the last few weeks.

Same here. I have a FireTV that hasn't updated yet.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Cornjob posted:

I have ATV and have had it for a few months

I'm in Canada so I wonder if that's the difference? Prime video works a bit differently up here.

I did an app status check on mine and there are no updates pending.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

well I guess Amazon is spying on this thread because Plex updated on my FireTV last night.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

so Plex will soon have ad supported, free, movies from Warner Brothers.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/29/plex-warner-bros-streaming/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Motronic posted:

Time to start testing Emby again.

I've been waiting for a server build for the shield.

Or maybe it's the fork I'm thinking of but can't recall the name

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, although one thing I'd like to see is that Roku-style multi-service integration thing, where you connect all your accounts (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) and can do a search for content across all of them at once.

I seem to remember Boxee doing this. Like I remember it showing me seasons of Lost that I had on my server and the ones that were on Hulu or whatever.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm sure something about this was announced but what did plex change that is making FF and Chrome complain about using a secure connection? Do I need to get a self signed cert or something? I host my server on my Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Taima posted:

Nah you just get the cheapest one and connect 1-2 usb hard drives to it.

The shield is absolutely incredible for Plex (server and player). I use it as a 12TB server for 4K remux and as a player to my C9. Plex recently redid their app on it and it’s even better.

It even direct plays lossless 7.1

You can also easily ssh into it and make the interface 4K. I really can’t say enough positive things about the current state of Plex on the shield.

Are you just running two 6TB drives attached to it?