Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It's probably been answered before but has anyone else had a problem with the ios app cutting episodes of TV short while streaming? The app crashes back to the home screen and if I restart it then I can continue from where it cut off.

I don't get the problem on the same files streaming to my android or Chromecast. My wife is going insane with it at the moment...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I use my Plex to store and organise my extensive collection of Linux distros :colbert:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

For some reason one of my Chromecasts has been making GBS threads the bed and causing the transcoder programme on my PC to spike to 100% during some videos and them to lag heaps. Any idea why this might be the case?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Laserface posted:

How does plex handle multiple versions of the same film?

I have 2 copies of a movie, one is a regular 700mb rip and the other is a 4.6GB HD rip. I only see one entry in Plex when I go to view my list of movies.

I'm not sure how it behaves, but I've noticed it put a little icon on the picture of the film in the web interface if there were multiple versions. I never investigated what that did, though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Fuzz posted:

This is what I see on my PC side... the port forwards just fine.

I just checked again on my PS4 and this time it actually is showing up in Plex... apparently I hadn't updated the app, and between that and the port fuckery it's working on the same network now, though most of my library isn't showing up but that's probably because I didn't do any of the labeling poo poo while still testing them.

Windows Firewall is off.

I have NOD32 but I've added exceptions for all the Plex exes so that it doesn't block any of them.

On the Cisco router it's set to Bridge Mode with a static IP, DHCP is off, NAT is off. It gets x.x.x.11-x.x.x.254, my desktop is set to go to a static IP that's less than 11 so it never gets overwritten. No idea where I'm going wrong at this point.

EDIT: Oh, and I turned off Adblock Plus in Firefox for the Plex site.

Wait a second

Why do you have dhcp off? Are you just sending your IP from your ISP through to your PC (or using a provided static)? What's your ps4 getting? Is something else like a modem doing dhcp? What kind of home network are you using?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Fuzz posted:

DHCP was off on the Cisco, because it's on on the Verizon router.

Basically the Verizon router is the NAT and DHCP, distributing IPs (UPnP on there, as well) while the Cisco is just a bridged set of IPs under the same system, plus a wifi network. (wifi on the Verizon is turned off)

Not sure what happened, but this morning when I turned everything on it was working and I can access from outside, which is what I wanted. Guess maybe the network or router reset overnight or something... I had reset it manually multiple times and it didn't do poo poo, but whatever, all working now!

That makes more sense :D

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

And if you read anything anyone else was posting you'd understand that we have tried to show our parents how to do these things. I spent years and years trying to show my dad how stuff other than e-mail and newsgroups (yes, he still uses newsgroups in 2016) work. The thing is that he doesn't give a gently caress. He just wants this dumb tech poo poo he doesn't know anything about to work, and he's old and doesn't want to learn it. It doesn't matter how simple we think it is, or how simple it might actually be, because on top of not having a lifetime of experience with stuff like this as we do, he also doesn't care. Most of the time when parents and other old people do stuff like this it's not because they're too dumb to get it, they probably could if they set their mind to it, it's because they don't care.

You're the dumb one here, and the one being a complete rear end in a top hat for no reason, because you refuse to accept the simple fact that maybe your parents are a bit more interested in this side of things than others are. Or maybe they are just a bit more tech savvy than others.

This is the correct answer - I've spent my whole career doing tech support for clients and family and a massive chunk of the time people literally don't give a gently caress and don't want to learn anything beyond "hit one button and go". There are edge-cases where you'll get someone super interested in it or actually able to follow basic steps but nearly all of the time people don't care and will actively refuse to engage any process they perceive as being complicated. There's a reason Apple made a fortune off the "it just works" line - people just want the magic box to work without any thought or action on their part.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Agreed. Plus it gets you more organised and allows for any future expansion vis a vis Chromecasts or anything else.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Do TV shows get extras?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Last couple of days Plex has broken; sound randomly drops out or it just complains that it's unable to cast. Wonder if an update broke it.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 16, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Ok, updated the server as it was a few versions out of date (thanks auto update). The schedule is set for 2-5am so I assume it's not interfering. Will see how it goes for a bit.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Plex is having more issues; it randomly says a moment after starting that the connection isn't fast enough, then works perfectly next time I try. Nothing has changed in the setup :/

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

porktree posted:

A little PSA, because it bit me in the rear end, one of Windows 10's security updates from last week (3/15-16) broke Plex. As in the server wouldn't start. It took me far to long to figure this out, removing and rebooting restored functionality.

Yep. I had that problem too, and just reinstalled Plex Server and it came good. Love seeing updates breaking poo poo.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Was just hoping to get a sanity check to make sure my current plan makes sense:

I currently have one PC that I use for gaming, Plex server and everything else. It's starting to get a little long in the tooth (5 years old) so I was thinking of using my tax refund to get a new gaming machine.

It's currently connected to my network via ethernet to a wireless-N bridge (there's only one phone port in the house so it's the best way short of rewiring the house to get it online). Multiple TVs in the house use chromecasts to stream plex (as below)

What I'm wanting to do is gut my current PC and put everything into a nondescript little case plugged directly into the modem/router via gigabit eth (controlled via remote desktop from elsewhere) whilst building a new PC to use for gaming etc where the old one was (see below).

Does this make sense, and is it sensible? Currently Plex works pretty well although occasionally has problems buffering, which I'm hoping will be mitigated somewhat by hardwiring it into the network to remove as much latency as possible.

Any thoughts?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Assuming the Chromecasts are on the wifi router I don't see why it wouldn't work. If chromecast by the bridge is on the bridge it still should work.

The only thing on the bridge is the PC, everything else connects via the wifi put out by the central modem/router. I'm idly considering getting the house wired up for eth in the future - we'll be getting the NBN fibre next year sometime so if they pipe it into the garage I'll move the Plex machine to there to keep it hardwired and out of the way.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

EconOutlines posted:

What size is your motherboard on the old PC? I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my old gaming PC, an ATX mobo w/ Sandy Bridge i7) but every case that'll fit an ATX board is huge.

Full ATX, but there are some smaller cases that support it. I was looking at some of these since it'll be hiding in the corner of the kitchen somewhere, probably. Once the NBN gets installed in our area I'm going to looking into getting the house rewired with a server cabinet in the garage where this machine will live out its days.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/lan-box-haf-series/haf-xb-evo/

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-thetis-classic-aluminium-atx-cube-case-black-ca-03c-rt.html

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

teagone posted:

The HAF XB EVO isn't bad. 4 x 3.5" bays, and he can just get drive sleds or a drive cage to convert the 2 x 5.25" bays to fit 3.5/2.5" drives for a total of 6+ drive bays. That's decent enough imo, considering the mainboard size compromise.

The PC I'll be converting from currently has 7 HDDs in it ranging from 1-4TB, so I'm planning on paring it down to 4x4TB (at least). That should last me a little while.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Horn posted:

Why do you need a screen and keyboard hooked up to the plex server? Just administer it remotely via remote desktop or ssh.

That's what I do. My plex server is my old computer sitting in the garage with nothing plugged into it except Ethernet and power.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Is it just me or is updating PMS an absolute loving chore in Windows? 100% of the time the web client update won't work and will require a manual update, which will then just hang forever when trying to update until it just randomly works one attempt. Does anyone have any clues or hints on how to make it actually work? This has been a problem for as long back as I can remember.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

When I try to use the "install" option it thinks for a moment then just says it can't and to do it manually. Then the only effective way I've found to actually get the update to work is killing every plex process, running the update as an admin, waiting ten minutes and praying.

It just finally worked after like ten attempts. Finally.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My set up is a standard install on a bog standard windows 10 box :shrug: no odd settings.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Maybe it's a network configuration issue rather than a software issue on the server itself. I have to do a ton of port forwarding fuckery (to enable remote access) but nevertheless everything works as expected after I do that. Failing that, maybe it's a permissions issue? I mean I'm running out of troubleshooting ideas for a problem I've never personally experienced, despite all the other Plex issues I've had to deal with.

Yeah, I'm not sure and since i only bother to update when I feel like wasting an hour it doesn't cause too many issues. Nothing complicated with the networking - Australia having garbage internet I've never bothered even trying to use plex outside the home.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Quick question:

My plex server is my old windows tower. It's got plex on C: and then other drives for everything else. Windows has poo poo itself, so I was thinking of using System Reset and just reinstalling plex. Will this be relatively simple (just installing it and reconfiguring it)? Or is there anything I'm missing?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Just chromecast and be happy

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Chromecast is cool but using my phone as the remote got annoying pretty quickly to me.

It's mildly annoying but has the minor benefit of generally working

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My plex has been so much better since I had the house wired up for cat 6 and moved the dedicated server box to the garage plugged into the backbone of the network directly. Haven't had it drop off once.

gently caress off wireless technology forever.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Rhaegar posted:

So I just built a new PC for gaming with an i5 8600k CPU/16gb RAM. This replaces my 2500k/8GB I currently use for gaming and media (incl. plex). I was planning on keeping my 2500k and it's 6 hdds as my media server but what I was wondering is whether it would make sense to move the plex server to the new PC to benefit from improved transcoding and streaming that I'd get with the 8600k and more RAM? How well would this work, if at all, with plex accessing the media on a network directory from my old PC?

Edit: This definitely seems possible. I guess the question is will the benefit of running plex on a faster machine negate the fact it's pulling the media off the network. It's gigabit lan so I think the answer is yes.

Can I migrate the plex server easily without having to re-set up the server/reauthorize all my devices?

Your setup sounds almost exactly like what I ended up with when I upgraded my pc last year, down to the old machine with 6 HDDs. I formatted the old machine and reinstalled plex and it now lives in the garage sitting on top of the network panel box just plugged into the network and managed remotely and works really well (except it blew its old power supply at one point but is fine now).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Having just got Alexa devices the ability to control my Plex using my voice alone is goddamn magical

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Any ideas why my plex server has all of a sudden randomly started throwing "transcoder errors" occasionally through my clients using local network chromecast? Nothing has changed, yet it is doing it every few episodes in multiple devices.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

priznat posted:

I had something similar with my appletv, I went to the codecs folder in plex and cleared it out (moved the folder just in case) and it reset them and it started working again.

Phone posting so don’t have the folder handy but it wasn’t hard to find. I run plex in an unraid docker.

I've never played around with this stuff before, so Plex just rebuilds it on the fly?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bizarre as hell, same thing was happening for me with just about any client. Plex in Docker on Ubuntu, moved the Codecs folder to force it to rebuild and all is well. Yet the new codecs match up 1:1 with the old ones on md5sum.

Yeah I've done the suggestion and the problem send to be gone, even though the new files also seem to be identical. Very odd.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

odiv posted:

Yep, finally had enough and crawled under my house to run two lengths of Cat6. Only problem now is that it's led to me looking at patch panels and poo poo online so I can do all this properly.

Welcome to my world with a server box in the garage with a 24 port gigabit switch hooked up to a patch panel and cat 6 in every room literally just for Plex and gaming

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

And last night in an attempt to resume a show I decided to try my first gen chromecast. After loving with DNS to get it "secure" it insisted on transcoding - which I think is solely because the chromecast now thought I wasn't on a local network? Changing it to "original" or whatever it is made it play just fine. I really wish Plex would offer a way to refuse transcoding and just pretend like you have literally 0 off-network clients.

Ditto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I don't know if there's an answer, but has anyone seen this before? Recently our Plex app on the bedroom Chromecast TV will play TV shows with the audio delayed, but it's fine everywhere else. On the same Chromecast it's fine if I just cast the same episode to it. Can't work out how I would even troubleshoot it.