Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Quick confirmation: My Roku 3 and my Plex Media server are on the same LAN subnet. The Roku is not going out to the internet and back in to access my PMS, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Pondering one of the new Mac Minis as a dedicated Plex server. Seems like it has enough horsepower to handle transcodes for multiple clients, yes? Anyone else using one for Plex?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I dig that server, but I need a very small unit to fit on my shelf, that server is too large. :-(

I'm debating trying to track down a 2012 Mac Mini, or build out a NUC.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
What does everyone use for that Transcoding setting, Seconds to Buffer before Throttling Transcoder? Can someone explain the benefits of increasing this beyond the default of 60 seconds?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

I use the default settings, save for setting the Transcoder Quality to "Make my CPU hurt". Haven't had any issues.

What kind of CPU are you running?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Walked posted:

Question:

I have Plex on my desktop and I will be reformatting at some point (or possibly building a second PC just to serve media).

Is there a way to backup my plex data, specifically just what I've watched and where I'm at in certain shows?

Yes, backup the Plex data directory. Should be listed within your Server settings (you may need to toggle Advanced mode to see it). Backup that directory, then reinstall after the format and replace the contents of the new data directory with your backup. Should be good to go.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

porktree posted:

I do that, then I'm in the middle of some sweet Vainglory battle and my wife want's me to pause the TV show. Spouses, children and parents love remotes.

That's why I bought a Roku 3. The kids and wife can control it easily. Plus, it's really awesome with Plex.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Have any of you Roku users tried RARFlix? Is it better than the official or test Plex channel?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

The Gunslinger posted:

It's better in terms of sorting features mainly which makes a big difference if you have a large collection. The official Plex channel on the Roku is awful for browsing large libraries.

I've got about 350 movies, and it's a pain to scroll through them. Am I missing something but is there a way to show movies as a list instead of side to side cover flow?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

RARflix has a grid mode view that's similar to the default view in PHT from what I remember.

I'd love that. Might be worth giving it a try.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

This looks AMAZING. I cannot wait to give it a shot tonight.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

Well, Cloud Sync is another option, but it has some limitations other than being behind the Plex Pass paywall. The way Cloud Sync works is you connect a cloud storage provider to your Plex account, e.g., Google Drive, and choose what content to sync to those storage services. In my case, I have my Plex server set up to recurringly sync the 5 latest movies I add to my to library to my Google Drive and Box.com accounts. Those 5 movies are optimized (transcoded) and sent to Google Drive/Box and can be remotely streamed from there, utilizing the speed of the Google/Box cloud services instead of my home internet.

I have Plex Pass but I have not used Cloud Sync yet. If I set this up like you have, and I wanted to watch one of those movies on my Roku, would it stream the local LAN version of the movie or would it stream the Cloud Sync'd transcoded version?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

Are you using the preview release of the Plex Roku app? Cloud Sync libraries aren't available for that at the moment. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204849187-Where-is-feature-X- So to answer your question, if so, you'd be streaming the local version. If you're using the regular Plex Roku app, Cloud Sync media should be under a separate Cloud Sync section.

No, I don't use local metadata. Sorry!

Yeah, I have both versions on my Roku, but 95% of the time, I'm using the Preview version (I like the interface way better). So in the regular version I'd have to actually choose the Cloud Sync version, otherwise it's the local version? What about my parents, would they stream the cloud sync'd version or is that only for Plex Pass users (they're not).

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

Yes, exactly. The Cloud Sync libraries are separate from your regular libraries.

You would have to give your parents access to your Cloud Sync libraries in order for them to access them, just as you would any other library, i.e., you have to check the libraries under "Cloud Sync" that you want to share with your parents. Your parents do not need Plex Pass on their account in order for them to access your Cloud Sync libraries.

Thank you for the info! You said you were doing something like automatic upload to Cloud Sync? How did you go about that?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
One feature I'd love for PMS would be the ability to specify how long to cache re-encoded media for offline sync. For example, 2 weeks ago, I sync'd a movie to my iPad, and then yesterday I sync'd that same movie to another iPad, but the server had to do the whole time-consuming re-encoding process and then downloaded to the iPad. If the data could be cached for a period of time, so all it has to do is download the pre-encoded media, that would be amazing.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Cornjob posted:

Doesnt plex transcode DTS audio to DD 5.1? I realize that many people will want dts, but as long as you get 5.1, itll meet *most* people needs.

I thought it did passthrough if the device streaming supported it? I know I get DTS on my Roku 3. If I remember correctly, I had to tell my Roku that I had a DTS receiver and all was good.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

Yeah, I believe you can force PMS to transcode DTS audio streams to AC3 in the Apple TV Plex app settings. To my knowledge, you have to make sure the "Enable Dolby Digital on Apple TV" checkbox in the PMS server options is ticked under the advanced transcoder settings in order to make that work. Still, the ideal scenario in any Plex eco system is to have the main home theater device Direct Play everything. Was hoping the new Apple TV would be that device but without DTS/DTS-HD/24p support, that's a big NOPE in my case.

Is that a software limitation or hardware? I'm leaning towards hardware, but if it was software, there could be a tvOS update that could enable it. Part of the reason why I'm holding off on the new Apple TV is because of things like this.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
So in theory, if I pre-optimize some movies for iOS, and then sync them, the server won't re-transcode the original and then just send the pre-optimized version to my iPad?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Jehde posted:

Subsonic is to music what Plex is to videos. They can both do both, but they're tailored for their respective focuses.

Plex seems to be getting involved with Music more now. I personally haven't dived into the music aspect, has anyone got a short review of Plex's music features and if they're good?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I can confirm when you make an optimized version of a video (i.e. for mobile), when you do an offline sync of that, the optimized version is sent directly to your device. No more waiting for the server to convert! Saved me a ton of time before my last road trip.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Anyone unable to play any video file at ALL with the latest Plex for Android TV update? Basically watching the console on my Plex server, I see connection being made then it basically gives up with a connection reset error. Tried several videos, all of them were popping up with the same issue.

*sigh* This app is a piece of poo poo on Android TV. Works awesome on every other platform I have it on, but not on my TV. I ended up having to cast from my iPhone to the TV.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Is it me or is the background of the web app now a dark red color instead of black? Can I revert that somehow?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

cruft posted:

I'm not seeing this.

I cleared my cache and reloaded and it went back to normal. That was really bizarre.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
What does everyone have their Transcoder default throttle buffer set to? I was reading that changing it from the default of 60 to something higher is a good thing?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Matt Zerella posted:

I just did my fresh install and it defaulted to 120 seconds. This is going to a 4GB ram disk for me (so I dont wear out my SSD cache).

E: whoops, defaulted to 60 seconds. Old install I had it at 120. I’ll leave it at 60 for now.

I bumped mine up to 600 because I was often having issues with buffering/stuttering, and I've watched a couple of shows with the new setting and haven't had any issues so far, so hopefully that fixed it.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I'm having issues with Plex Music. I have Lidarr and I put a few albums in separate folders with proper naming, but Plex is putting all of the songs as one album. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Is there a guide or something to setup IPTV in Plex?