Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

rock2much posted:

I'm underground for most of my commute. Can I pim/sync a show to watch when I'm on the train? Or am I better off just copy/pasting something directly to my phone's storage?

The best part of PlexPass is that it syncs back to Plex. Let's say you have a brand new show moved to your tablet and always want 5 episodes(episodes 1-5). On your commute you watch three episodes. When you get home and Plex syncs it will realize those three episdoes are watched (on deck is episode 4), remove those three episodes from your tablet, and queue up three more to transcode and copy over. If during the night you watch two more (on deck episode 6) and your tablet syncs it will get episodes 6-11 transcoded and copied over.

If you do this manually copy/pasting you have to tell Plex you watched the shows. Plus transcoding if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Also, isn't this literally how CNN took off by having coverage of the Gulf War? This just seems like people wanting to get outraged at something. More like what people in this thread are saying. Plex isn't the place to be "Netflix, but with your own media" but yet another streaming platform.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

SgtScruffy posted:

I figured probably the case. Curses and drat, I was hoping to use this tv to stream episodes of Daniel Tiger and stuff when my kid is sick. Is the workaround “get a chrome cast or fire stick and make that do the processing and it should work better” or is the tv itself a bottleneck

Edit: just watching a 720p episode of a childrens show works fine so at least I’ve got that! I guess the chip just isn’t powerful enough for 1080p+

There's no real reason for 1080p not be decoded on anything in the last ~10 years. If I had to guess the 1080p stream had to be transcoded instead of Direct Play. This article should give you the information to see if the Plex Server is transcoding or not. Having it stutter every ~30 seconds it sounds like the Raspberry Pi is transcoding and it's running at ~90% of real time, so given a little buffering the Raspberry Pi quickly catches up but eventually falls behind. I'm guessing the Raspberry Pi has enough horsepower to transcoder the 720p or it was Direct Play (the video was just sent over to the TV to play)

EDIT: Even network streaming takes very little, it's more dependent on stability. For a 1080p stream you only need ~10 megabits/second (so like 1.2 megabytes/second). The only problem is if it's a real bad network connection but most home connections should be good enough for streaming

gariig fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 29, 2022

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Kingo Ligma posted:

Please bare with me because I'm incredibly stupid. Had a look the last few pages and didn't find anything about this weird and very specific problem I have.

Server is an iMac specced pretty decently (use it for professional video editing work both locally and remotely), playback via PS4.

No matter what the native quality of the playback I have to lower it to get uninterrupted playback. The weird part is that it doesn't matter what the lower playback rate is, just that I've physically set it lower.

I can have a 1080p 10.2 MBPS file which pauses constantly, lower playback quality to 1080p 10 MBPS and have it play smoothly,

Than immediately after play a 1080p 7MBPS file which pauses constantly unless I lower it to 720p 4MBPS.

This behaviour seems to rule out all the obvious bottle necks as the actual size of the file being played back doesn't make a difference. Without the server doing the work of actively altering the file while streaming the video is unwatchable.

The most likely culprit is there's something about the video the ps4 doesn't like but by forcing the server to transcode the file it turns the video into something the ps4 can play. It's really hard without getting into what your Linux ISOs are encoded (h264, h265, av1, vp8/9; aac, dolby digital, dolby digital plus) and containerized (mp4, avi, mkv). Some part of that equation is making the ps4 do software decoding instead of hardware decoding is my hypothesis. A measly .2 MBPS isn't going to change your network constraints from terrible to flawless. Also, by it's very nature streaming video is not nearly as sensitive to network latency as most people imagine. There's a very large buffer of video before you start since it's not a live stream the player can buffer as much as it wants before playing, limited by startup time and RAM.

You could try reencoding the files again with handbrake and see if that helps. It's going to hurt your quality in the long run to make your ps4 experience better. I can't say what the quality of the ps4 Plex client is as I have never used it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Brain Issues posted:

My 4K content is still only available locally because I’ve not yet figured out a solution to the PGS problem. Please let us know if you find out a fix!

There's really not a "fix" to be done. You either need to have all clients support PGS, remove PGS for SRT/VTT subs (subs in a text file) in your library, or allow Plex to transcode the stream to burn the PGS subs into the stream for the player. You could "burn" the subs in yourself offline and host that in your Plex library so it can be direct played. PGS is more or less a transparent PNG that's overlayed onto the video you are watching. DVD subs were the same way except I think those were JPEG.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

I'd be worried about getting the feds called on you for :filez:. Also, go look at the size of your files and figure out how many plays you'll get with 200gb. You are looking at ~20 movies before you run out of bandwidth. Also, like someone else said commercial cloud bandwidth gets :homebrew: super quickly. You can look into seedboxes which I'm not going to link to because :filez: but that might be better solution to pay someone to host. Once again it's still not going to be cheap because of bandwidth costs. If everyone is using your Plex server regularly I'd estimate 500gb per user. This is a case where Tautulli would be useful.

EDIT: For how many users it comes down to if you need to transcode or not. If most of your stuff is in h264 and all of your users request to "direct play" (just play the file with no transcode) you could get away with not much. Serving files is cheap. However, if you start having h265 content and people want h264 it can take a very beefy server to handle that if everyone needs to transcode. I think people get around this by splitting libraries between h264 and h265 plus 1080p and 4k so clients can get what will direct play instead of needing transcoding. ALSO, you need all of the clients to set their clients to Direct Play instead of wanting 720p 4 megabits.

gariig fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 13, 2023

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

astral posted:

200GB is block volume storage space, not outbound transfer (of which Oracle appears to give you 10TB).

This stuck out to me

quote:

Flexible Load Balancer: 1 instance, 10 Mbps
If that's really 10mbps of bandwidth you'll only get 1 stream at a time. I have to imagine that's how you don't run a production service on the free tier and need to pay Oracle

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

astral posted:

Does Oracle require that you use a Flexible Load Balancer to access your instances?

I couldn't find it, maybe not... I know EC2 instances get a public IP so Oracle ones might so I could be wrong. I'm too lazy to signup and throw Apache or Express on there to see if I can get to a HTTP endpoint. However, 200gb is nothing so it's basically a non-starter for this application. The Rapidseedbox looks goood for using :yayclod:. Public clouds really get you on the bandwidth so unlimited is great.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hopefully a channel as big as Linus’ will actually cause the Plex people to do something because years of paid customers complaining hasn’t done anything.

I don't know why Plex would care about us, they have your cash assuming you bought a lifetime membership. What other value do you provide? At best word-of-mouth. Plex now has more streaming users than media users. Which hopefully Jellyfin (or something else) gets better once Plex just sucks.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

wandler20 posted:

Has anyone heard of ATT throttling upload speed on a Plex server? My buddy is having issues where his Plex server is suddenly having super slow upload speeds while other PCs on his network are normal.

Are they using the Plex Relay instead of a direct connection? It's pretty easy to accidentally go that route.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

univbee posted:

Still, given the pressure they're under because of much of the internet's bandwidth is being used by these services, wonder why they haven't done a parallel setup-type solution (a newer codec that pushes to newer devices while keeping the H264 for the older devices).

This is how every major streaming service operates. You make a ton of different VODs with different encodes and serve the most appropriate for a device. H264 is just that but H265 gets weird with higher color with HDR10 vs Dolby Vision vs HLG. Then there's audio encodings as well.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm .ASSuming this is being caused mostly by my server's upload bandwidth (residential internet, less than 10Mb up).

Also, if you are using the Plex Relay instead of connecting directly it has a limit of 1 or 2 mbps depending on if you have Plex Pass or not.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

EVIL Gibson posted:

I plan to transfer Plex operations to a superior system with a better GPU and CPU, but I'm waiting until I have time to bond the two Ethernet jacks. I encountered challenges with a guide I attempted to follow, like the example article linked, but keep failing. fortunately, the first method proved non-permanent and cleared on reboot.

I think most people over estimate how much bandwidth streaming media takes. Direct playing 50 Mbps streams that's still about 16 simultaneous streams before network bandwidth becomes a problem. I'd skip the headache of bonding the Ethernet jacks and move machines.

The only time the extra bandwidth is useful is for copying, but following the trash guides you should always be moving your media which is instant.

Talorat posted:

Is the purpose of the trash guides just standardized naming and quality preferences?

I found it useful for the directory layout to get all the different pieces of arrs to work together.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Nettle Soup posted:

with the single episode inside labelled completely correctly

Do you match The TV DB? The first episode should be S1982E01. Do you have it in a Season 1982 directory (not always necessary)?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
I tried out Jellyfin by firing up a Docker container and pointing at my existing libraries. Is the web UI supposed to be SUPER slow? This is on my Synology, so not the beefiest of machines, but everything takes forever. Example, browsing to a TV show and hitting the triple button "more" to do some editing takes ~30 seconds to open the menu.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
I can't imagine a scenario where Plex doesn't eventually remove the ability to play local media, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a condition of getting access to media company catalogs. Plex is a major part of media piracy, media companies would love to remove Plex. I just don't think it's next month because Plex also wants to keep user engagement but I think it will happen. I'm hoping Jellyfin catches up to Plex.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug
Plex just raised 40 million

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Oysters Autobio posted:

So I'd run the external drives from the USB3? I thought that was a general no-no when it came to storage.

I wouldn't put them in a RAID array, Windows Storage Spaces, etc. but it's fine to just attach and use. USB 3 speeds (5 gigabit/second) is more than enough for your ~10 megabit/second Linux ISOs. I wouldn't buy the $90 1 TB drive, that's a terrible deal even for Canada. I see on bestbuy.ca 14 TB for $330 but I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not for outside :patriot:. I know Best Buy in :patriot: can have 18/20 TB drives for around $200.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

fralbjabar posted:

Has anyone had success getting Dolby Vision video to play back with Plex? I've been going down a rabbit hole the last couple days trying to figure out if Profile 5 playback is even possible at all and I've come to the conclusion that it probably isn't, and anyone online saying it works for them is likely lying. Profile 7 seems to work, but I'm getting suspicious that my TV is just falling back to basic HDR10 with profile 7 but still keeping the Dolby Vision logo up - however it at least works. Profile 5, regardless of player just results in green/purple video at best and a hardlocked PS5 at worst (yes, DV Profile 5 video will hardlock a PS5 if you try to play it via the plex app!)

So far I've tried for clients, all with a Sony X900F TV
Xbox Series X - Profile 7 appears to work; Profile 5 is green/purple
PS5 - Profile 7 plays correctly, but does not display DV logo; Profile 5 crashes PS5
TV App - Profile 7 appears to work; Profile 5 is green/purple
Apple TV - No DV support for plex

Looking at the spec sheet your tv only supports HDR10 and HLG. Some profiles of Dolby Vision can fallback to HDR10. Looks like DV profile 5 doesn't fallback to HDR10 but profile 7 does at least looking at this Reddit post.

Cheston posted:

It should all be wired, 6 Mbps.

**the media's on a 5200rpm disk drive, that might do something?

No, most hard drives can do 100 megaBYTEs per second pretty easily and most streaming video is under 1 megaBYTE per second. Video is usually measured in megaBITs per second and 8 bits = 1 byte, I usually round to 10 to make the math easier. So if your Linux ISO is 50 megabits per second which is around a 4k Blu-ray h265 rip it only needs about 5 megabytes, which any hard drive could easily support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

lignicolos posted:

from the spec sheet you linked:

"4K HDR¹,² - HDR10, HLG & Dolby Vision® for incredible detail and clarity"

Looks to me like it does Dolby Vision.

You read the marketing blurb and not the spec sheet. If you read under Video Features and HDR compatibility it only supports HDR10 and HLG. Some Dolby Vision profiles contain enough data to be a super set of HDR10 but profile 5 isn't one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!