Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have an instance of Plex running on a NAS. Am I safe in assuming that, if I invite a user to my Plex server, there is zero chance whatsoever they will see files I have on my NAS but not added to my Plex library?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the information. I can't run Plex inside docker as I am unable to get 4k transcoding to work that way, I guess I'll look into setting up a partition or whatever for my non Plex files.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Atomizer posted:

Uh, you mentioned "NAS" and "4k transcoding." :stare: UHD transcoding requires substantial [CPU] hardware, you're not going to be doing it on any commercial NAS.

No, it works just fine. I have to make use of hardware transcoding, which is why I can't run Plex inside docker, but when using that the CPU usage stays below 30% on my NAS (a Synology DS918+).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm trying to move my Plex server into a docker container (currently running the native DSM app) and I have an issue where remote access is working when it's installed on the NAS directly but not working when running as a docker container. Anyone have experience with this?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've created a library on my Plex server for a specific user, is there a way for them to "mark" a movie so I know when I can delete it?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Flaggy posted:

Is there any reason that my plex is only transcoding 1mb to someone outside my network? I invited a friend to watch and it won't go over 1mb to him. Nothing is being blocked, Plex is on its own box, I have GB internet as well.

Is it possible that remote access is not properly configured and the stream is going through Plex Relay?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Flaggy posted:

It says my remote access is fully accessible outside my network, and I have no idea if its using the Relay or not, is there a way to test?

Under Settings -> Network check to see if "Enable Relay" is not active, if the box there isn't ticked and remote access still works, it's not going through relay.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Taima posted:

Question 2

My server is currently an Nvidia Shield Pro which has worked amazing and streams 4K remux with absolutely no issue whatsoever locally. Will this be a problem if I'm actually serving remotely? I can theoretically run my main computer 24/7 as an alternative, which has best in class hardware so no problems, but I would prefer to keep it on the Shield if I could...

It might work if you turn off transcoding and all your buddies have connections fast enough to stream 80 Mbps video, but even then you would likely run into issues with one playback device or another being unable to handle such high bitrate content.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ringu0 posted:

Plex/Synology users: any problems when upgrading from DSM 6.2 to DSM 7.0? I have DS918+ if it's important.

I migrated a while back when it was still in preview and it went fine following the instructions on the board. They have since removed those so I can only assume the process has been more streamlined: https://forums.plex.tv/t/dsm-7-packaging-2-0-pms-1-24-2-4973-release-information/732838/232

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a way to have Plex hide the thumbnails and plot descriptions for unwatched TV episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

echo465 posted:

Any recommendations for an inexpensive low-profile card for transcoding maybe 5 streams? I finally had to migrate Plex from a win7 box with an RTX3060ti, but that card won't physically fit in my shiny used 2u TrueNAS scale box running the Plex app.

Is there a reason it needs to be a dedicated GPU? The iGPU of modern Intel CPUs will handle 5 streams fine.