Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I just finished getting Plex setup on a little mini Lenovo I bought off ebay and threw an SSD in. This software is fantastic! Its done a great job organizing all of my media and playing everything through my tv.

No gripes or nothing, just seems to work for my simple needs. If anyone was considering it, you dont have to spend a ton to get this all setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I got my whole Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Sabnzbd setup for about $350 total.

I use an old Lenovo M73 i5, 8GB of RAM, and a terabyte SSD. Just installed Ubuntu server and used Docker Compose to get everything up and going. It runs like a dream so far! Installed DuckDNS do some remote viewing and that has worked fine as well. I dont know enough about Plex and the other options out there, but for me it was a fun weekend project to get everything up and going.

I can play 4k movies on that setup and it performs fine, no buffering or jittery picture/sound.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

If someone is already using old pc parts, what exactly is the point of using Linux? My understanding is Linux is meant for low powered devices that literally can't run Windows.

I am using a cobbled together Windows PC as my Plex server. I have Plex set up on it as well as Sonarr, Radarr, a Calibre server for 500gb in ebooks that my iPad can access at any time, plus if I need to manually download something (a movie Radarr can't find for some reason for example) it's incredibly easy. Tautulli works great with it and I have an Android app that talks to my Sonarr, Radarr, and SABNZBDB programs with ease. Also Windows 10, for all its faults (that start menu :stonklol: ) has pretty drat good stability. Like I can go a good six months without ever rebooting it.

I get the reason for using a NAS (low power consumption) but if you're using PC parts what's the point in using Linux? I'm genuinely asking as someone who isn't really familiar with it since I've never had any reason to ever have to use it.

I think, and someone can correct me because Im not an expert either, that it comes down to resource usage of the underlying OS.

Compare the "server" load of a machine using ubuntu server with just terminal access to a computer running Windows 10. Ubuntu will allow you to get more density out of your machine, you'll be able to install more services and applications on it.

Also I think docker support tends to be better on linux then it does on Windows. But again I dont really know anything, I'm a networking guy that liked playing around with docker and linux as a fun little project.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Not really related to this thread but its the closest I can think of.

I have the classic sabnzbd/radarr/plex setup and its working great. But I underestimated my storage requirements. Whats the best software to burn files into playable DVD movies? I know this is going back to the stone age but I'd like to be able to burn some movies to disc to use later.

Also I got the plexpass lifetime deal after a signed up for a trial. About two weeks later I got a half off lifetime deal that I ultimately signed up for.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The more I read about Plex setups the more I'm convinced the best setup is some flavor of Linux running Docker. I've had mine running for months now with zero issues on an old crappy Lenovo mini-pc. Just stop Docker when I need to update, have it pull down new images and away we go.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My $50 android TV no-name box running android 9 is finally starting to peter out and die.

I was looking at upgrading to an Nvidia Shield to just run the Plex client, not the server. Does anyone here use the newer TV version of the shield that looks like a baton tube? Any pros/cons I should be aware of? This link:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/apps/

Makes me concerned it wont actually even run Plex because it says its only available through the Canadian app store!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Slightly off topic but I recently bought a Nvidia Shield to replace my lovely ALLCAPS brand Amazon purchased "Android TV" box and holy poo poo it is so much better than what I was using before. Not that I ever used it as a plex server, just a player, but the new hardware still makes a huge difference.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

I wish there was a reasonable YouTube metadata client. I've gotten pretty good with youtube-dl and can even embed most of the metadata (including thumbnail) when I grab a video, but it would still be nice for Plex to have a scanner that was worth a drat.

Do you mind sharing what command you use to do that with youtube-dl? I can download videos along with metadata like a thumbnail but Im not sure on how to actually embed it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Do you mind sharing what command you use to do that with youtube-dl? I can download videos along with metadata like a thumbnail but Im not sure on how to actually embed it.

Spent some time with this tonight and here is what I am doing now:
youtube-dl -o '/home/username/Downloads/Videos/%(title)s.%(ext)s' --write-description --write-annotations --write-thumbnail -f bestvideo+bestaudio https://www.youtube.com/example

Then I throw that in a folder on my plex storage drive and I added a library under Other Videos. It's worked pretty well for me so far. Grabs the thumbnail for the cover and grabs the description. I havent played around trying to add videos as a season though or anything like that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

cruft posted:

I'm curious if anybody else in this thread is using a Raspberry Pi as their server.

I've been doing this and it's just grand. Recently switched from Ubuntu to OpenElec as the underlying OS. I'm running a 3-disk btrfs with RAID1 connected to a USB hub for storage.

It seems janky until I compare it with what I was using for essentially the same task 15 years ago, and then it seems INCREDIBLE.

I thought about it but my Pi already runs a wireless controller, pi-hole, and a few other things and didnt want it to burn out and die.

I bought a little mini Lenovo PC off of eBay for like $100 and have been running that thing 24/7 for a few years now with just a USB drive and it works incredibly well as a Plex/Sab/Sonarr/Radarr server. Money well spent in my mind.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

teagone posted:

Same. I honestly have no reason to go beyond my current ~12TB when I have access to HBO Max, Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, and Hulu.

I think I’m at like 5 TBs, a single drive connected to a tiny little eBay mini Lenovo.

Runs 4K stuff well enough locally. I just delete series as they get watched and move on. Maybe one day I’ll upgrade hardware but no need too yet at least.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Warbird posted:

Is that something I can use to make YouTube video management better? ZeroQL’s stuff is ok at best and I’d love to hop over to something that is a bit more reliable.

Are you using something like YouTube-DL to pull videos? If so you can set that to pull a screen cap and some extra info. Then you just have to make up S01E01 type titles for the videos before loading into Plex. At least thats how I've done it so far.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

lol. It was a nice try at MRR, but they screwed themselves on lifetime passes and there is no way they can continue on with the bloat they've got, no matter how much sponsored content they jam into your server.

We all need to be ready to move on. I don't know when, but it will be soon enough.

I would probably pay like $50 a year to keep plex up and running, as much as I use it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I've had my ShieldTV for a couple of years now and the last 6 months or so have been real disappointing and frustrating.

After reading that reddit thread I had to double check that I had automatic updates turned off.

The ShieldTV has been fantastic for me so far as a player. Smooth and responsive, easy to use, my wife learned the ins and outs of the controller right away, just a nice intuitive interface once I jailbroke it.
Hopefully it continues to play nice with my Plex server.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My plex server is a small Lenovo ThinkCentre M93. I think its an i5, 8 GB RAM, and a small on board HD with a USB drive plugged into it.

Works well at everything but transcoding to play over the internet, even then it works it just sounds like a jet engine taking off. I think I spent like $120 for it off of eBay. It'll do BluRays just fine locally as well.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I must be a lucky one because the Plex app works perfectly on my Shield TV box.

I did "hack" it or whatever so that I could customize the on screen menu but aside from that I've done nothing else and it works great. Voice control through the remote works, my non techy wife can use it just fine as well.

Sucks to read that AndroidTV is being abandoned though. Is the only option AppleTV moving forward? Or shudder, some sort of awful PC setup?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Netflix lost Star Trek!?!?!

I havent been able to watch much TV since I had my kid this year but was looking forward to working my way through all of Star Trek TNG. That sucks!

If not for in-laws pilfering off my Netflix we'd probably get rid of it too. Sonarr/Radarr/Plex just make things a whole lot easier.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just adding in my setup.

Running Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Sabnzbd off of a tiny old Lenovo i5 mini computer with 8GB of RAM. Works great using Ubuntu server 18 whatever with Docker. I just run updates and upgrades once a week and pull down new container. That acts as my server and then we use an Nvidia Shield for the media player.

Passes the quick and easy test for my wife or relatives that just want to watch something and not tinker around.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just got a 4k TV and was all excited, grabbed the latest and greatest version of the Lord of the Rings in 4k. But it seems like my lil mini PC plex server just cant handle playing it without stuttering and pauses.

Its an old i5 with 8 Gb of RAM and onboard video. Its played everything else just fine. Am I better off actually buying a BluRay 4k player for the few 4k movies I want to watch? Do I just need a beefier PC to host my Plex server? Something with a dedicated graphics card?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Its probably 6-7 years old at this point.

So newer CPU would likely help. Trying to decide if I want to "future proof" by building a new little server to run plex/sonarr/sab/etc or just buy a 4k bluray player and be done with it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sorry for being vague. Here is my complete setup:
Player - Nvidia Shield Media Tube thingy, purchased 2021.
Server - Lenovo M73
i5-4590 2 Ghz
8 GB ram
Xeon E3-12-- v3/4th gen core integrated graphics

All of these are hard wired ethernet cat 5e through my Ubiquiti router/switch, playing locally.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just had one other thought, I was storing the 4k movies on an old USB3 external drive. Going to move it over to the onboard SSD and see if that makes a difference as well.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's the usual plex issue way: receive actual known fixes to issues, instead try to resolve using one you've made up.

Hey I resemble that remark!

Happy to save money on this. I'm still having an issue playing the file, and wonder if its just an issue with this one file, going to pull another 4k movie and test.

Here is what I see for settings as I play the movie:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

OK more testing.

So no option for Play Original in web client, probably isnt supported who knows.

Playback on Plex app on Shield does have play original, and it plays much better but not perfectly. Thinking that if I just pause and let it buffer for a bit it would play fine.

So thank you thread! Sorry for the confusion but I was using the web player as my second test player and didnt realize it just didnt have a play original setting.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Inept posted:

If your shield is on wifi and has a poor signal, it can struggle with high bitrate content.

You should have read this guy's thread when he wanted to buy a houseboat to live in during the winter in Minnesota.

No wired connection, so thats not the issue. Pretty sure its just an occasional issue with the shield player itself, there are some HDR settings I may mess with and see if that stops the occasional hiccup I see.

Inept posted:

You should have read this guy's thread when he wanted to buy a houseboat to live in during the winter in Minnesota.

What about it?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Worth a shot even if it doesn't make much logical sense, it's quite an old thread though so this might've been included in a bug fix release since.

This was it!!!! Totally fixed the issue with that movie and havent seen any issues otherwise. Thank you so much!

I had seen a similar thread discussing the same issue and thought it may have been something with HDR settings. Glad to see I can quit mucking around with this now. Thanks again.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Inept posted:

Ignoring advice etc.

Im not sure what advice I ignored? I checked all the settings recommended and found they didnt need to change, that the web player wasnt applicable. So go pound sand I guess? Again not sure what advice I ignored.

In any event the thread EL Bromance linked to was my issue, though Im on a client release past that version listed seems like its still an issue.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

teagone posted:

If I were younger I'd be down to tinker with whatever streamer box with custom launchers and remove ads and all that stuff. But I'm old now and don't give a poo poo and just want things to work right away.

It was easy enough to do once, but right on the edge of tinkering for me.

I have to do IT all day at work, I dont want to come home and do more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wayne Knight posted:

I've been very impressed with plexamp and someday when I have time I want to get a nice touchscreen/rpi/dac/enclosure so I don't have to use a phone to play from it on my stereo.

Any off the shelf solutions out there you're aware of? Something like that would be awesome to use with my stereo.