Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

I switched to OpenPHT a while ago and it's been fine for me. Is there really a big improvement between the old PHT and this new player?

The only issue I have with OpenPHT is the same one that made me give up the old PHT: if I hit play from an area with a lot of episodes, like a show folder or a season folder, it will eventually start skipping episodes. For example, if I have episodes 1-10 in a folder, it would play 1, then 2, then maybe 5, then 6, and then 10. It makes no sense, but that may be reason enough to move to the new client even though the mouse support messes up my workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Housh posted:

I have a two part documentary I can't get to properly show up on Plex. It finds the metadata only if I put it in the movie library but it stacks both parts and doesn't let you play part two. Is there a way to force it to show up in the TV library and then manually fill in the metadata?

In this sort of situation, I've had pretty good luck with naming files *.cd1 and *.cd2. That makes it show up as 1 video and it'll play as 1 video.

EDIT: *.cd1.avi and *.cd2.avi, sorry

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Moey posted:

Windows 10 is still a festering pile of poo poo because of all the telemetry and Candy crush installs that come back with every uspdate. It's a pain in the Enterprise world too.

I keep hearing that, but somehow Candy Crush has never *ever* come back on any of my computers at home. It's almost like it might be...

Atomizer posted:

perhaps a case of PBKAC.

EDIT: If you're running Win10 home or pro in an enterprise, you get what you pay for. Almost everything people complain about in the enterprise world is solved via running Win10 enterprise and configuring your GPOs.

FAKEEDIT: I run Plex on a Server 2012R2 VM. It's rock solid, but it's prolly not for everyone.

The Diddler fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 24, 2018

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I bought myself an ethernet kit (with mediocre punch tool that's worse than the flathead screwdriver it came with) and went to all the trouble of wiring up my XBox only for Plex to still get stuck buffering every 20min while playing x265 content. What should I look for to fix this other than just ferrying poo poo to my laptop on USB?

I've had a similar problem when the HDD on my Plex server got full.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

It's been a year or so since I've needed to do it, but queuing up a list to sync and letting it run with the app open was the only way I could get it to work for iOS. I don't use it a ton, but it would be nice if it wasn't such a puzzle to make it work.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Bonzo posted:

This is a good time for me to ask. What tools you guys use to monitor your home network?

When I was running a full lab I used PRTG, but I've downsized enough that the only important things are Plex and internet access.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Windows 10 Pro, so not sure if it'll work the same. I've heard of rclone but don't know much about it.

I run it on both Windows and Linux servers to back up different stuff to google drive and once it's installed it works exactly the same.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Warbird posted:

Does Plex still not play nice with symlinks? I've found a number of posts on the matter from a few years ago, so I'm not sure if the issue lies with Plex or me goobering something up with the softlink.

They worked for me, I was able to create a new library out of softlinks in a new directory and play stuff. Didn't try anything more complicated than that though.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Has anyone gotten intro skipping to work yet? I updated my server to the latest version and analyzed my library and it doesn't work on web. Did I miss a step or is it just not great?

https://www.plex.tv/blog/go-ahead-and-skip-that-intro/

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Two odd questions if I may:

1) I am going to rip my entire collection of George Carlin standup DVDs. It's every single one of his hour-long HBO specials. Like 14 of them are from his "All My Stuff" box set, and one is the single stand-up released after that; "It's Bad For Ya". Where should these go? In the movie folder, or TV folder? Any specific way I have to name the MKV files after I rip them? I've never done this with something that is neither a TV show nor a movie.

All of my standup specials are in the movie directory and they scrape fine.

TraderStav posted:

I enabled it two nights ago and it came up when I was watching last night on my AppleTV. The Skip Intro button came in earlier than I had expected, unlike Netflix that shows up right when the Intro begins, but sticks around so when it starts you can press it. It worked as expected for the show I was watching. I'm GUESSING they're analyzing what part of the series/season has the same pattern and using that time index to identify the introduction.

I recall there being a list of platforms that it was available on in the announcement for the Skip, check if the web is there. Also, did you enable the feature in Library?

According to the instructions they posted, it should work, but I'm using web and don't know how to check the version. I guess I could try it on my Roku, but :effort:

The Diddler fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 22, 2020

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Kingnothing posted:

When you say web, do you mean the desktop client at your local IP, or the web browser from Plex.TV?

Based on https://support.plex.tv/articles/skip-content/ I don't think the plex.tv player supports it currently. For me, I just had to push the update. The setting was on by default and analyzed by default, then worked properly on my iOS app.

I just wish the button was a little more opaque like Netflix's. Sometimes I like watching the intro but that large bright yellow button is distracting.

The server IP. I dunno, still doesn't work for me but I'm not sure I care enough to make it work. I'm sure someday it'll start working out of the blue. :shrug:

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

calandryll posted:

I have a bunch of Beavis and Butt-head episodes that I'd like to get into Plex. However they are number 1-whatever. No season info or anything like that. Easiest way to do it?

I opened each file in VLC to check the title, then changed the title on each episode then ran it thru FileBot to get proper season and episode numbers. Maybe not the easiest way to do it, but it's probably as correct as it's gonna get. It only took a few boring hours to get it done.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Bonzo posted:

I'm not a Windows 10 user but can you not turn off auto updates? I know Windows server you can but you should be able to do this.

I think at this point you need to point a Win10 desktop at a WSUS server to have any control over updates.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

priznat posted:

Are there any plugins that can take Plex shows/movies that you have rated highly (5stars) and then ensure they are backed up remotely?

I was thinking it would be nice to back up stuff I really like to onedrive or other cloud storage and just have it do that automagically through plex.

Perhaps if the ratings can be parsed by an external application or if the plex plugin produces a csv with all the files/folders of the good stuff.

I don't think so. I move stuff I want to keep to a different directory, with an hourly cron job kicking off Rsync to move everything in that folder to my google drive. It works pretty well now, but was a real PITA getting set up because I'm bad at Linux.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Anonymouse Mook posted:

My understanding is that it does a similar thing to the dvr commercial skip. It analyses the episodes and tries to find a common section that would likely be an intro clip.

I'll have to check if this is per series or per season. Thinking of those shows which change intro from season to season

It seems like it's per season? It was pretty hit and miss while for all of Futurama, but I couldn't find a pattern.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly, movie studios don't seem to truly "get" what 2.0 users and non-audiophiles are looking for. I want a 2.0 track where the loudest things that happen in the movie happen at the same volume as dialog. Because yeah, I don't want to babysit the remote. The kids are asleep 30 feet away, and I want to hear what people are saying. I don't need explosions to be louder than what people are saying. I don't need music to fill the room.

Volume normalizing only does so much, please just give me a "watching through my tv speakers" 2.0 track I don't have to babysit.

Volume leveling on the Roku works really well for fixing this, except it occasionally introduces popping that requires a reboot.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

nexus6 posted:

I pulled the trigger on Plex Pass. How can I check if the server on my Shield has updated? I grabbed the update from the Play store after I upgraded my account but I don't see a 'Skip Intro' button on any of my shows?

I managed to get Plexamp ok though.

Skip intro requires a full library rescan, and it didn't really work for me for a couple of weeks. It's pretty good on new stuff I add to the server these days.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

I have been thinking about setting up Plex and Sonarr and the like to be accessible outside my home. What is the best way to do this all safely then? Is there a good guide on where to start anywhere?

I'm running a pfsense router with openvpn installed. When I connect to that server, everything is available like I'm at home. It's pretty nice.

EDIT: Plex is port forwarded so I can use the apps. I've never tried to connect over vpn with that.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Up until a week ago I used to see "continue watching" / "on deck" on the home screen. It completely went away right after I got a pop-up saying Plex was switching me over to some new home screen. It used to show it for both TV shows and movies.

Is this on Roku? Mine never changed, I assumed because I haven't updated my server.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I have a brand new house and they didn’t work worth poo poo, YMMV

I think they don't work worth a crap if you need to cross the breaker box. I've considered MOCA, but the adapters are expensive and sometimes also suck.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Are they transcoding?

EDIT: I assume your browser doesn't support direct play of any mpeg2 files, but I'm just guessing

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Scratch that, just looked today and both have lost connection to the network drive so the service solution hasn't worked. Gonna stick to checking daily and restarting manually when this happens

How often does it break? I would write a batch file to cycle the service and schedule it to run daily (or whatever) that way I don't need to mess with it when it's TV time.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

porktree posted:

I switched my internet over to Tmobile's Home thing, and it's been pretty great (250 down/25 up consistantly). I had AT&T that struggled to get me 18 up. Ping times are comparable and my COD hasn't suffered. (I'm rural until I found the TMo thing AT&T was the only thing I could get - or satellite)

The only thing that's been a hassle is Plex. I was able to port forward and assign static IP's internally before TMo, and AT&T pretty much assigned a static IP, as I never saw the external IP change in the several years I had it.

So, I can't get remote access to work - and TMo doesn't really care. I have been able to make the relay work some of the time.

My question is; would something like OpenDNS or DynDNS be a solution here? Or without port forwarding am I kind of screwed.

I use Google Domains for my dynamic DNS solution, but for the most part any service should suffice. I *think* I used no-ip before I switched mine.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Nocheez posted:

I'm so glad the bubble burst on baseball cards when I was 10 or so, because that let me cut out that part that wants to be a completionist.

Imagine wasting space (real or virtual) on garbage...

Imagine being bothered by someone else's movie collection...

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

deong posted:

edit2:
I looked into synology's file station and it shows the date modified to be 09/13/2020 after using AD. So it looks like that worked?. But when I did a re-analyze it still is showing as the last added show.

Have you added anything since then? That attribute wouldn't be part of the file metadata, it would be in the plex db.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

deong posted:

No. It was all added at the same time. So do I need to update the plex db file?

Well, I don't know that you can edit the db. I mean, it's a db, so you *can* edit it, but I don't know how. I would plex dance few files at least so you can confirm the problem files have been fixed.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Is there any way to have Sonarr and Radarr not open my web browser every time the server boots up? I am obviously glad that they start with my computer (Windows 10 machine) but I simply would prefer they did not open a browser on boot. Is there any way to do this? I didn't see anything in Sonarr or Radarr settings.

I believe if you configure it to run as a service it won't open any windows on boot.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Is there an easy way to do this? I found a guide but it seems way too convoluted to be accurate.

I did this: https://www.plexopedia.com/plex-media-server/windows/running-plex-media-server-service/

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Blu ray or DVD, your choice

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

That Works posted:

Any advice on how to attack this? I just can't seem to figure out what settings I've borked.

It sounds like a transcode issue, IMO. Have you tried enabling it to see if that makes a difference?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Zogo posted:

I'll do more troubleshooting but is there some known issue with modern Plex and .mp4 files?

I think I saw something recently where the latest version of plex server has an issue and was crashing for everyone.

EDIT:

previous page of this thread, actually:

Housh posted:

Yes. It's been crashing since the latest update on Windows. There are a lot of people posting in the Plex support forum and the dev team is aware. There is a dev in the forum that will send you a private beta version, if you send him your log file. I'm just gonna wait for them to push out the stable fix.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Boner Wad posted:

On Plex on my Apple TV when I skip content and then play, every couple of seconds the video will freeze for a few frames, enough to be irritating. If I play the same file without skipping it plays fine.

Any ideas on how to prevent that from happening?

I would assume that's a buffering thing, does it eventually get better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

madsushi posted:

Just posting that I have really enjoyed using Tailscale as a technology to get remote access to my stuff. Install it on my phone / laptop that I take places, and then onto a container on my server. Now I can get to everything, completely securely, including stuff like the IPMI for the server, etc. I found it to be a lot easier than reverse proxy for everything.

Same, I run tailscale on my pfsense appliance and it rules.

related to dockertalk, I'm trying to learn docker and am having weird issues with permissions, is there a decent thread for noobs like me somewhere?