Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Orgophlax posted:

He probably caught 2 fouls.

OR (from Facebook comments when NPR posted this):

Kimberley Jones-Howe
I don't see how this is slick. It's deceitful and publically so. Why are adult male broadcasters applauding this dishonest behaviour? How is this going to help young boys grow into strong, loving, admirable men? This would have been slick if he had given her the foul ball. Shame on you NPR for promoting this socially backwards misogynistic message paid for by tax payers dollars.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah the less-than-$.01 of my yearly taxes that are allocated to NPR, which is mostly donation funded, entitles me to pearl clutch pretty hard about nothing. Shame on you, NPR, for something.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

In all fairness, that mascot was crowding the plate.

Respect, motherfucker.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

rickiep00h posted:

Why even make that throw? Runner was through the bag and slowing down before the ball sailed over him.

Play the game right...hustle, etc.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Braves game tonight

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

BJ can even get himself out now

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

I saw this live on TV, and I desperately hoped it would be called an out, since Maldonado yanked the ball out of Upton's hand before it touched the ground.

I'm sure there's some dusty old rule that handles this exact situation, but that was what I was thinking in the moment.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Winkie01 posted:

Braves game tonight

Fan came so close to pulling a Hamilton.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
NPB forever

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby

Sexual Lorax posted:

I saw this live on TV, and I desperately hoped it would be called an out, since Maldonado yanked the ball out of Upton's hand before it touched the ground.

I'm sure there's some dusty old rule that handles this exact situation, but that was what I was thinking in the moment.

BJ never hit the ball though. It's still just a swinging strike.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Oh Adaira posted:

BJ never hit the ball though. It's still just a swinging strike.

I'm honestly not arguing, and I would like to understand the play better. From Maldonado's reaction, I assumed it was a foul tip. Watching again, I'm not sure. Actually, refresh me on foul tip rules. A foul tip caught by the catcher for strikes one or two are just strikes, but one caught by the catcher with two strikes in the count is an out. Right?

This is still directly related to the gif, but I'm happy to take this to the Newbie Appreciation Station if it merits wider discussion.

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby

Sexual Lorax posted:

A foul tip caught by the catcher for strikes one or two are just strikes, but one caught by the catcher with two strikes in the count is an out. Right?

This is correct. But the foul tip must be caught cleanly. If the catcher fumbles it but it never hits the ground, it does not count for an out.

At the time of this gif, there were not two strikes at the time. Maldonado was snatching the ball from BJ because it was a live ball and there was someone on base at the time.

*edit* Just watched the replay and the umpire did call foul ball. I didn't think he tipped it and looks like the catcher didn't hear it either.

Oh Adaira fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 20, 2014

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Oh Adaira posted:

This is correct. But the foul tip must be caught cleanly. If the catcher fumbles it but it never hits the ground, it does not count for an out.

At the time of this gif, there were not two strikes at the time. Maldonado was snatching the ball from BJ because it was a live ball and there was someone on base at the time.

You are a gentlekitty and a scholar. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
To be a little more specific and steal from the rule book

Rule 2.00 posted:

A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher’s
hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught
is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first
touched the catcher’s glove or hand.

Basically if the batter makes contact with the ball but not so much to effectively change the direction of the pitch, and the ball then goes directly to the catcher's glove (or bare hand :gonk:) and is subsequently caught, it's a foul tip, and a foul tip is rules the same as a swinging strike. The ball is live, runners can steal or otherwise advance or be picked off, and the batter can strike out if there are already two strikes.

If any of the above conditions aren't met (the ball loops, it hits a part of the catcher other than the hand or glove first, or the ball isn't caught) it would be a regular foul ball.

In the gif above, assuming the ball did touch the bat first (since I can't quite tell) it would be a foul ball since the ball was not caught by the catcher. If the catcher would have managed to catch the ball before the batter touched it, even after it popped out of his glove the way it did, it should be ruled a foul tip since it meets all of the conditions (touched the bat but didn't change direction, touched the catcher's glove first, ball is caught).

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Brett Lawrie doing a cool rear end double play with the bases loaded.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
catcher blocking the plate. SAFE

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I will forever love Mike Redmond.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

NPB :argh:

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 21, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Schweinhund posted:

catcher blocking the plate. SAFE

he has posession of the ball, OUT

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Chexoid posted:

Brett Lawrie doing a cool rear end double play with the bases loaded.

I still can't figure out how Ortiz knew to duck. He couldn't see behind him, right?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Everblight posted:

I still can't figure out how Ortiz knew to duck. He couldn't see behind him, right?

On some of the replays you can see him looking behind him.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Everblight posted:

Red Sox are known sign stealers.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

This is the antithesis of yankeesfans.gif, for any number of reasons.

Also, :h::h::h::h: the Whale shirt.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
That's not quite ThunderDan.gif but it's pretty good.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sexual Lorax posted:

This is the antithesis of yankeesfans.gif, for any number of reasons.

Also, :h::h::h::h: the Whale shirt.

My favorite are the two girls in the bottom left corner who are completely oblivious to a fly ball landing within 15 feet of them.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

ILU too Pence but cut it out w the tongue poo poo.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

:911:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

My favorite part is that the scoreboard switches to "3 out" then "mid" well before the play was over. (I know he'd be out for going off the base path anyway)

e: watching it again, it looks like he'd already been tagged out. what the hell were they doing

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

quote is not edit

canadianclassic fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 27, 2014

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

canadianclassic posted:

My favorite part is that the scoreboard switches to "3 out" then "mid" well before the play was over. (I know he'd be out for going off the base path anyway)

e: watching it again, it looks like he'd already been tagged out. what the hell were they doing

just havin' fun, man!

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

No way, baseball players are serious All of The Time

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

One handed bat grab.

Video http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2076921-white-sox-fan-catches-flying-bat-saves-baby-from-harm

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Johnny Damon cutting off Manny's first pitch. Yes it's stupid and yes I love it.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

a bad swing:

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 29, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Johnny Damon cutting off Manny's first pitch. Yes it's stupid and yes I love it.

:swoon: The Idiots were magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Can anyone get a gif of Papelbon feeling up Chooch during the Phillies walkoff last night?

• Locked thread