Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'd be more willing to let that slide for the poetry of the metaphor. What I'm trying to figure out is where there was blatant foot fetishism, I guess I don't remember too much of that other than extended shots of her getting comfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm still working with those elements as well. It doesn't help that I went to the bathroom when she let the elephant man go and had that scene quickly whispered to me by my g/f. Edit2: Elephant man is a manifestation of her own disgust and how she now views men. She can't do her first random hook-up because she views men as fundamentally disgusting. That also makes sense, given that she is a rape victim. Her struggling with hypersexuality also makes sense if you read the scene where she tries (and fails) to connect with her boyfriend as an attempt to lose her virginity after the fact. Given that it is a Scottish film, I have a hard time believing that they'd go with the whole "virginity" angle but I'm basing my understanding of Scottish culture off of my time spent in England (London), Germany (primarily Cologne but all over) and other Europeans I've known. I've got an n=1 of Scottish people and I don't even know him that well, so a puritanical edge may not be unreasonable.

Still holds. Especially when it comes to the light. You have opposite poles, with really harsh, almost painfully blinding whiteness. It happens again and again with things like the sky as well. Contrast that with the absolute blackness. They are pretty clearly telegraphing artificiality. That ties into a lot of the other Brechtian nonsense going on during the first half of the movie. Elephant-man represented a turn towards more natural colors, culminating in very natural, realistic shot at the end. So it fades from blinding unreality to soft (albeit brutal) reality.

I just took the immolation at the end as a visual representation for the destruction of the self that resulted in the rest of the film.

Probably more to it, since metaphor and reality play with each other a lot during this movie and I'm admittedly a philistine. But that is what I took out of it.

Edit: Foot Fetish. I just saw a lot of longing camera shots at S Jo's feet. Also, a lot of framing shots. Mouth, breasts, feet, crotch. Eye-as-a-vagina/anus, feet, breasts, crotch. Walking slowly away, until nothing but the feet are showing, cut-frame to a raging erection. First focusing on her face and then Venus-of-Willendorf style smash-cutting to her chest and panning down her body showing the crotch, the legs and then lingering at the feet. Dude likes him some feet and isn't afraid to let everybody knows that he considers them (at least) on par with eye-as-anus, breasts and crotch.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 20, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Shbobdb posted:

Edit: Foot Fetish. I just saw a lot of longing camera shots at S Jo's feet. Also, a lot of framing shots. Mouth, breasts, feet, crotch. Eye-as-a-vagina/anus, feet, breasts, crotch. Walking slowly away, until nothing but the feet are showing, cut-frame to a raging erection. First focusing on her face and then Venus-of-Willendorf style smash-cutting to her chest and panning down her body showing the crotch, the legs and then lingering at the feet. Dude likes him some feet and isn't afraid to let everybody knows that he considers them (at least) on par with eye-as-anus, breasts and crotch.
You say "longing", but was any of this at all erotic?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I think the director thought it was erotic and was trying to express that to the audience, yes. I don't have a foot fetish, so I thought it was somewhere between jarring and hilarious. "Dude, look at these feet! So much better than breasts!" "Uhhhhh . . . OK man, whatever floats your boat . . ."

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

I think the director thought it was erotic and was trying to express that to the audience, yes. I don't have a foot fetish, so I thought it was somewhere between jarring and hilarious. "Dude, look at these feet! So much better than breasts!" "Uhhhhh . . . OK man, whatever floats your boat . . ."

From your posts about it I have the impression you have a foot fetish more so than the director. I guess it depends on your perspective.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm really surprised nobody else noticed it. My g/f and I were cracking up throughout the entire movie because of it. It made Quentin Tarantino seem subtle.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I didn't notice the feet thing at all.

I second the projecting.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, I would say projecting too, but the reaction doesn't really fit that...?

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Thirding...i have no idea what you are talking about. The "feet" frames were just low perspective shots that showed the men being progressively sucked into the black goo and her feet tracked along with that shot.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, I would say projecting too, but the reaction doesn't really fit that...?
Projection is often employed as a psychological defense by subjects who are unable to integrate unconscious drives, impulses, or desires with their conception of self. An angry person, for example, might project that anger onto another (imagining that the other is experiencing anger and/or is more aggressive than they actually are) because they are unable to consciously admit to their own capacity for anger/aggression, and would rather deny their role in instigating an argument.

I'm not weighing in on whether Shbobdb is projecting, just pointing out that denial would actually be consistent with projection.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
That's... actually kind of fallacious, though, since it means that if you accuse someone of projecting then whatever response they give you is further evidence that they're projecting.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Well, Shbobbd, I think you and your girlfriend know what you need to do.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

vivisectvnv posted:

Thirding...i have no idea what you are talking about. The "feet" frames were just low perspective shots that showed the men being progressively sucked into the black goo and her feet tracked along with that shot.

While there are more egregious examples, those were the kinds of things we found funny. You've got a sex scene, right? Naked chick, walking along. The only bright aspect in a dark screen (light/dark in the movie is a big theme). This pans slowly along her naked body until feet. And then nothing but feet, feet, feet. It spends much more time on her feet than it does on her breasts. Walking away. SMASHCUT! Dude with a giant erection.

Sure, it is "just filmed that way". But this is a sex scene. An aborted, emotionally stunted sex scene, but a sex scene nonetheless. Think about the other options he could have used. Jesus walking on water is the only other metaphor I can come up with, as opposed to the more explicit "HOLY poo poo I LOVE FEET!" I we are going to go with the Jesus angle, I can only think of Kahlil Gibran's fascination with "The whole Earth is my home but I have nowhere to rest my head" which could work with the alien stuff . . . but I don't see it.

It's easy to say "Work X" is about Jesus because the Christian tradition has such a huge influence on Western (and now World) culture. You want to Jesuit it up, sure, you've got an alien trying to give love (of a physical variety) that seemingly can't, is redeemed (by the rejects of society), and then sacrificed in fire, like how the world ends (and aren't we all, like, a world man? Contrasting with the aqueous deaths "a la petite mort" we saw earlier in the film).

Bing-bang-boom. Feet aren't sexy, all those foot-shots are just to establish that she is Space Jesus come to love and forgive us all. Nevermind all the shots associating feet with sexual organs. We'll push those to the side. They represent artifice(?) on the director's behalf. Because if I'm shooting a sex scene with boobs and pussy and mouths and poo poo, what it needs is the occasional palate cleanser of feet. And we all know that we end dinner on a light palate cleanser, and not the desert we've been craving all meal.

As a lover of food (and not of film) I may be reifying certain factors. But when you have a tasting menu, the chef is clearly in love with something and trying to tell you that. When that love in cooking is non-commercial or in film otherwise forbidden, workarounds are found.

I may well be wrong, but rewatch the movie and think "feet". The boob/feet/eye-as-anus (expanding anus also means "willing" rape/she was asking for it!*)/feet/crotch shots and their variations make a lot more sense.

NO!

I'll admit that interpretation works. But it is incongruent with the film that I saw. I'll give you "Is an Alien" and "Walks on water" as totally sufficient for a Christ metaphor. But what is Christ-like about the alien? Where is the metaphor or simile or allusion? Or is a cigar just a cigar and it is just a poorly-executed movie about an alien who murders people?

*If the movie is about rape's aftermath, which I think it is, the eyes' normal expansion and contraction of arousal contrasts with the anal/involuntary message of the film with the eyes' contraction, expansion and then aggressive contraction. But during sex aggressive contraction is tight-tight-tight and AWESOME!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

That's... actually kind of fallacious, though, since it means that if you accuse someone of projecting then whatever response they give you is further evidence that they're projecting.
That's the normal objection to the concept of projection-as-denial.

The trouble as I see it is that (in theory) you're dealing with an unconscious process that can't be directly observed, so it's impossible to say with certainty whether projection is occurring in any given case. It's just more or less reasonable to believe that it is happening depending on observable facts. But I have no doubt that projection as a means for denial does occur.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
e: completely misread, sorry

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Projection-as-denial only really works if there is social pressure. What kind of social pressure exists on an anonymous internet forum? I saw plenty of projection-as-denial in Middle School when my gay friends were actively insisting that everyone else was a cum-guzzling human being while they loved them some girls with their breasts and them titties. But that theater only makes sense within the context of them trying to convince everyone else that they are super not-gay. Anonymity removes that impetus.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Projection-as-denial only really works if there is social pressure. What kind of social pressure exists on an anonymous internet forum? I saw plenty of projection-as-denial in Middle School when my gay friends were actively insisting that everyone else was a cum-guzzling human being while they loved them some girls with their breasts and them titties. But that theater only makes sense within the context of them trying to convince everyone else that they are super not-gay. Anonymity removes that impetus.
Projection-as-denial occurs when there is an internal conflict. Current internalized social pressure may be one source of that, but it is not the only source. Moreover, if an individual identifies with their online persona (believes that it is reflective of their true self) pseudonymity wouldn't prevent the defense from occuring.

Edit: also, bear in mind that the superego is dumb; its injunctions often don't stand up to rational scrutiny. There are good reasons for feeling badly about hitting another person. Not so much for feeling badly about thinking about hitting another person. Even less for (unconsciously) believing that it is Wrong to have a foot fetish.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 21, 2014

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

While there are more egregious examples, those were the kinds of things we found funny. You've got a sex scene, right? Naked chick, walking along. The only bright aspect in a dark screen (light/dark in the movie is a big theme). This pans slowly along her naked body until feet. And then nothing but feet, feet, feet. It spends much more time on her feet than it does on her breasts. Walking away. SMASHCUT! Dude with a giant erection.

Sure, it is "just filmed that way". But this is a sex scene. An aborted, emotionally stunted sex scene, but a sex scene nonetheless. Think about the other options he could have used. Jesus walking on water is the only other metaphor I can come up with, as opposed to the more explicit "HOLY poo poo I LOVE FEET!" I we are going to go with the Jesus angle, I can only think of Kahlil Gibran's fascination with "The whole Earth is my home but I have nowhere to rest my head" which could work with the alien stuff . . . but I don't see it.

It's easy to say "Work X" is about Jesus because the Christian tradition has such a huge influence on Western (and now World) culture. You want to Jesuit it up, sure, you've got an alien trying to give love (of a physical variety) that seemingly can't, is redeemed (by the rejects of society), and then sacrificed in fire, like how the world ends (and aren't we all, like, a world man? Contrasting with the aqueous deaths "a la petite mort" we saw earlier in the film).

Bing-bang-boom. Feet aren't sexy, all those foot-shots are just to establish that she is Space Jesus come to love and forgive us all. Nevermind all the shots associating feet with sexual organs. We'll push those to the side. They represent artifice(?) on the director's behalf. Because if I'm shooting a sex scene with boobs and pussy and mouths and poo poo, what it needs is the occasional palate cleanser of feet. And we all know that we end dinner on a light palate cleanser, and not the desert we've been craving all meal.

As a lover of food (and not of film) I may be reifying certain factors. But when you have a tasting menu, the chef is clearly in love with something and trying to tell you that. When that love in cooking is non-commercial or in film otherwise forbidden, workarounds are found.

I may well be wrong, but rewatch the movie and think "feet". The boob/feet/eye-as-anus (expanding anus also means "willing" rape/she was asking for it!*)/feet/crotch shots and their variations make a lot more sense.

NO!

I'll admit that interpretation works. But it is incongruent with the film that I saw. I'll give you "Is an Alien" and "Walks on water" as totally sufficient for a Christ metaphor. But what is Christ-like about the alien? Where is the metaphor or simile or allusion? Or is a cigar just a cigar and it is just a poorly-executed movie about an alien who murders people?

*If the movie is about rape's aftermath, which I think it is, the eyes' normal expansion and contraction of arousal contrasts with the anal/involuntary message of the film with the eyes' contraction, expansion and then aggressive contraction. But during sex aggressive contraction is tight-tight-tight and AWESOME!
I thought that the shots of her feet while walking backward simply established that she was luring
the men forward.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Now you're also outing yourself as an anus eye fetishist, poo poo's just embarrassing!

It's an interesting interpretation in the death of the author vein but I don't think the movie presents eyes as buttholes or feet as an important sexual stimulus. I thought the shots were at feet level to give the audience the sensation that they were kind of sinking with the male victims as she walked (with her feet) backwards. The male victims gaze is at her face and torso but their eyes are at feet and so we view at their level with our own butt eyes but don't follow their gaze.

Feet feet feet foot feet anus

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That's what is cool about directors. They are just filming what is there, so their personal aesthetic has no bearing on how the film is presented. Also, direct discussions of directorial intent only exist within the framework of death of the author.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
For what its worth, I'm with you on this.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm a big fan of the book, but I enjoyed the movie a lot too. As much as I like the book, I don't think a movie of it would work primarily because of depicting Isserley and the other aliens as goat-like creatures - it works on the page but would be laughed at onscreen.

This movie finally came to my town and I totally agree with you on this. I am also a huge fan of the book, and I felt that the movie and the book are both excellent and cover the same themes but in very different ways. I felt the book had a lot more humanity and pathos and the movie was a lot more stark and mysterious - but in general I felt that Glazer did a good job of translating the source material into a visual medium without being too literal.

I absolutely loved the scene of the two men confronting each other in the black goo. It was beautifully filmed and having read the book I could see where he was pulling the scene from while still managing to tie it together with what he was doing uniquely in the movie. That scene, out of all the other scenes, really came across as 'Kubrickian' to me.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
About an escape later in the film: How did the elephant man get out of the goo? I was confused by that but I assume it isn't something we're supposed to spend a lot of time theory crafting about.

Also about the very beginning: The girl who Johansson strips seems to be alive but paralyzed since she sheds tears. Was she a previous alien assassin who also "went native" and had to be neutralized and recycled by the motorcycle man?

After reading the plot summary of the book on wikipedia, it sounds even more gruesome and horrifying than the film. Is the author a vegan, going for a modern The Jungle?

reading fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 5, 2014

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

reading posted:

Also about the very beginning: The girl who Johansson strips seems to be alive but paralyzed since she sheds tears. Was she a previous alien assassin who also "went native" and had to be neutralized and recycled by the motorcycle man?

After reading the plot summary of the book on wikipedia, it sounds even more gruesome and horrifying than the film. Is the author a vegan, going for a modern The Jungle?

For your question about the beginning: I'm not sure. I always just assumed it was a random person they killed to obtain clothes for Johansson, but I like the idea of it being a previous assassin. Very interesting. One of the things I like most about the film is its ambiguity.

The book is very much worth a read. I read it years ago, and almost didn't watch the film because the book's protagonist is definitely not Scarlett Johansson. But they took the central idea and did much different though equally good things. I don't think the book's concept of the aliens would work on screen.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

reading posted:

About an escape later in the film: How did the elephant man get out of the goo? I was confused by that but I assume it isn't something we're supposed to spend a lot of time theory crafting about.

Hijinks answered the second question, but as to your first: Johannson let the guy out of the goo after putting him in there, because she had a moment of guilt (due to the connection she'd formed with him in their first meeting). She's the one who lets him go, and the biker recaptures him anyway and starts chasing after Johannson, who's now gone rogue. It's the reason she goes on the run in the final act of the movie.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

reading posted:

Read the book earlier this week and you hit the nail on the head. The aliens in the book are carnivorous sheep and the main character is considered a freak from the horrific and disfiguring surgery she has undergone to be able to walk on two legs. She's not even described as looking like a fabulous babe, she looks like a shaved sheep on two legs with a wig, thick glasses, and enormous fake breasts. There's a couple of times where they mention they can't believe that Earth sheep are just dumb animals because they look so much like "real people" and of course they've never tried mutton because that would practically be cannibalism.

Didn't make me want to become a vegan, though, the description of human meat in the book is so appetizing it made me want to eat a person. I don't know if it's trying to be a modern-day The Jungle or a parody of a modern-day The Jungle.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
So some of the shots were with random people who didn't know they were being filmed..........

Do they not have Scarlett Johannson in Scotland?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Slugworth posted:

So some of the shots were with random people who didn't know they were being filmed..........

She had a wig on and it was dark. It's quite possible some people recognized her, but we wouldn't see that in the movie.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

You're also probably not expecting Scarlett Johannson to come out of the dark and proposition you for sex in the middle of Scotland. Why would they assume it's her?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm officially expecting it everyday, after watching that trailer.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
One of the things that stood out during a recent re-read of the book is how horrible the aliens' home world is. They regard what we think of as a bleak, depressing landscape as something incredibly beautiful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really liked this beautiful weird creepy movie but I have to say even when I looked for it I really did not see the foot fetish thing at all. :shrug:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

precision posted:

I really liked this beautiful weird creepy movie but I have to say even when I looked for it I really did not see the foot fetish thing at all. :shrug:

Having just rewatched it again, I can't remember a single shot of feet (at least, ones that focused on feet).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hewlett posted:

Having just rewatched it again, I can't remember a single shot of feet (at least, ones that focused on feet).

There are a couple, but they focus on feet because those feet are like, being used for walking, I didn't see anything fetishistic about those shots as opposed to literally any other shots that focused on anything else (there are a few shots that focus on Johansson's butt, maybe the director has a butt fetish!)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slugworth posted:

You can go to rural Ohio and find yahoos who don't know who Scarlett Johnannson is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't think she looked very Scarlett Johansson-y in those awful "Scottish hooker" clothes and wig anyway.

Speaking of which, this movie really highlights how ugly Scottish people can be. If not for the people driving on the other side of the road, you might well mistake this film's setting for... well, rural Ohio or Georgia.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always like watching stuff like EastEnders just to see that the UK has jugeared yokels too.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
As someone who seems to enjoy the idea of "becoming what you are pretending to be/being what you pretend to be" is that a large focus of this movie, or is that idea entirely peripheral to what this movie is about? The idea of an alien Mother Night sounds like it would be right up my alley, but what little I've read about the movie has been vague and the response to it has been polarizing.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Marketing New Brain posted:

As someone who seems to enjoy the idea of "becoming what you are pretending to be/being what you pretend to be" is that a large focus of this movie, or is that idea entirely peripheral to what this movie is about? The idea of an alien Mother Night sounds like it would be right up my alley, but what little I've read about the movie has been vague and the response to it has been polarizing.

I'd say the second half of the movie really tackles that subject, as once ScarJo decides to rebel against her purpose, she spends a lot of time trying to act/be human, to mixed results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You can go to rural Ohio and find yahoos who don't know who Scarlett Johnannson is.

But it's filmed in Glasgow. We found that hard to grasp too. While I'm sure loads of people wouldn't know her name (not many people know actors beyond the ultra famous Tom Hanks level ones) I'm surprised that more people aren't a bit "Don't I know you?" with her.

• Locked thread