Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Connie is upstairs and Toby would let you know immediately. You have one bedroom with four beds, beautiful windows, an oil lamp, a light and fan above, and some power outlets.

You notice that it's getting dark but no one seems to be coming in the Tavern. Johnathan is about done with his bottle.

"This town has gone to poo poo."

Norah keeps cleaning glasses, trying to ignore him.

"Nothing means loving anything. You work all your life, trying to make something better, trying to help the world grow. Then you can't even sleep in your own home without having to worry about having to lose someone else."

He tilts the bottom up.

"Time was when you would have to sacrifice for the land, for the Earth, and all you asked in return was a good family that was safe and happy and fed.

We're sacks of meat spending every waking moment trying to convince ourselves otherwise. I'm loving done. I'm done with everything"

Johnathan tosses his keys on the bar

"I'll be back in the morning for the truck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Toby

Toby is on his way out of the bar when Hart's short monologue stops him. He considers speaking, but Hart seems indisposed to questioning. He stops for a beat, then turns around. "Mr. Hart, the sky's getting nasty out there. What say we drive you home instead of walking?" He tilts his head at John.

Toby keeps it together but given how on-edge he's been as of late, his mind is feverish. you can't even sleep in your own home without having to worry about having to lose someone else. Time was when you would have to sacrifice for the land.

Lose someone else. Sacrifice for the land.

Behind his poker face, Toby stifled a nervous cackle. He was just about losing it in this shithole town. Toby thought about the pack of smokes in the car. He wasn't a habitual smoker, preferring to light up and offer a stick as an ice breaker whenever he had a sorry son of a bitch in interrogation. He felt like he needed one now, though.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
John

John had experience dealing with small town drunks, generally the best course of action was just to let them speak and try to look like you were focused elsewhere. When Toby came back in, he was all but ready to head up to bed himself, but he couldn't help overhearing Jonathan as he raved to himself. Thinking he'd misheard, ye turned to look at his partner, and the look on his face convinced him otherwise. Returning the sly nod, he pushed his mostly finished plate forward, ready to move out if Mr. Hart agreed to Toby's offer.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Do you want to go without Connie and split up, or do you want to go get her out of her jam jams?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

Since Connie has the keys to the truck anyway, Toby will make a quick trip to the room, depositing his provisions under an empty bed as he does so. Spotting Connie, he stops. "Hart's drunk and I don't feel comfortable leaving him to walk home in this weather. John and I are gonna drive him, less you wanna come with." Toby takes a moment to gaze out at the clouds. "He's talking real ominously. I know how crazy it sounds but trust me, I want to be wrong about all this more than you do."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Connie

"Fine, I'll drive. Just don't let him get sick in the back seat or you're cleaning it." Connie didn't bother swapping her sweatpants, just tied her boots on over them. She wasn't exactly happy about missing more sleep but the Interceptor was her responsibility. Besides, John had drunk too much and Toby was way too wigged out over the crime scene to be behind the wheel right now.

"Is your sat-phone acting up or is it just mine?" she asked, curious if she'd gotten a faulty model.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

Toby gets the satellite phone out of his pack and tests it. "... No, mine's not working either. That shouldn't be happening."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Johnathan goes into the excursion and is excited about his ride home. You drive through the downtown and enjoy how quiet and serine it is. The street lights are dim and accommodating to your weary eyes.

The drive to Johnathan's farm is long despite it's relatively short distance. The road away from downtown has no lights, and you constantly see deer jet out from the corners.

In the distance at the base of a mountain on the other side of the valley (you are West of downtown, this is North), you see a few points of what looks like small camp fires or even lamps in the distance. You can't make out much and trees obscure the view. Nearby the lights is a clearing of some kind in the forest with something coming out of it that you can not see very well, probably a house.

Johnathan's house is well maintained with thick wood and a great deal of variety in crops. There is a garden near the house that grows all sorts of food (probably for private consumption), but around you see fields of what looks like wheat and corn, and large thin plants twice your size organized in rows that are straighter and cleaner than Arlington.

Meryl is in a rocking chair out from in a bathrobe, she looks at Johnathan and does not smile.

"I'm not mad at you, or your team. I understand you did not kill my daughter. I'm glad I've met you, it's reminded me of a lot of things and I'm glad I wasn't alone when we found her. I don't know what I would have done had I been alone. No matter what happens or who is upset, feel free to stay in my home if you need a room. I know Norah has you set up, but my offer will always be there as a back up if you have no place to return."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

Toby nods. "We understand Mr. Hart. We'll keep it in mind. Get some rest. We'll get to the bottom of all this tomorrow."

Toby stops a beat. He didn't know when he'd get the opportunity to talk to him alone again. He speaks exuding resolve and calm. "Mr. Hart, I've never seen anything like this before... Has anything like this happened before?"

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll roll manipulation + persuasion (or something along those lines) and expend a point of willpower to try and ensure that I can ask the question without being accusatory and without ruffling feathers, trying to put across that Toby's on Hart's side and is the sort of man who will do what it takes to solve this case.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"You ever had the weight of everything important to you in your hands?"

He looks up at the dark swirling clouds above, lighting striking repeatedly deep in them.

"I mean everything important? Megan..."

He gets a bit teary.

"I'm not composed enough for this. I don't know who killed Megan. I really don't, and it's probably better that way. The last thing we need is someone else dead. But I have a pretty good feeling why. You want some answers? Ask Hazel about her boarding school. Ask Jerry Jerrod's on the mountain about everything. Watch Nathan and the other Carignans. I can't tell you because you won't believe me, and you shouldn't. If I tell you now, you'll just leave and never come back, but I don't want to be forgotten. I need a witness."

He begins walking inside his house to steer himself towards a couch, plowing into it headfirst.

He begins laughing defeatedly.

"Probably just killed us all. Whoops"

He laughs again, transitioning into a deep, laborious snore.

Johnathan is safe and sleeps with a smile.

You walk out of the house awkwardly and look in the distance. There's more lights but the rain is thick, and fog spreads despite the clouds above and the hour.

Great roll, love the risk taking.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

John

John turned to look at his partner, impressed by the accuracy of his gut reactions so far. They'd need to ride those a lot further if they were going to get to the bottom of this though...

"So, where do we start with all that?" He asked, pausing to pull out and light up his last cigarette of the day. "And were you saying something before about your sat phone being broke?"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

Toby stays silent for awhile, resting his forearms on the open window of the truck with his eyes closed, breathing. He straightens up, takes a cig from John's pack, and lights it, taking a deep drag. His hands are shaking as he exhales. "Our satellite phones aren't working. I'm feeling just crazy enough to assume it's not coincidence." Toby pushes back from the car and paces in a circle, slowly. He laughs incredulously to himself, shaking his head, then turns back to his partners.

"You heard the man, we follow up on what we've got. Jerrod, Carignan, and the boarding school. If we go out into the sticks we should go together or with one left behind. One of us could probably scope the boarding school tomorrow."

Toby takes another deep drag and exhales. He looks at his partners with a calm demeanor. "From what we've just heard I think we need to continue under the assumption that we're facing an organized and violent conspiracy, membership unknown. From this point on, assume that we're being watched and listened to. We'll need a code for the radio, let each other know when it's safe to pass info. We don't know how much longer we have until they figure out we're onto them, they may already assume we have. There is real danger here, for us and for Hart." Toby looks back at the sleeping mound of man back at his house and is silent for a few moments. "I'm staying here for the night, in case someone comes for him. You can tell Norah that I was concerned for his emotional state. I left dried and canned goods under my bed at the inn." With that, Toby walks around to the back of the truck, opens it, and returns to the group with the pump-action shotgun and shells in tow. "Meet us here at 7 AM sharp. And for God's sake, watch your backs." With that, he begins walking to the house. "Being right never feels good."

Toby will go into the house, checking with Hart to make sure he's okay / let him know he's around, and he'll check on Meryl and make sure she's in the house and okay. He will lock the doors and windows, and place cans and other loud detritus in hallways that will be easily stumbled over in the dark. Toby will then make himself at home to a degree - he still hasn't eaten so he'll make himself a simple meal from the pantry if possible. Then he'll get a chair, preferably in a corner with a good view of Hart and as many doors / windows as possible, turn off all the lights, and camp out with the shotgun. Sleeping with one eye open is a must-have skill for vice stakeouts.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 24, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

I will give a little time in case anyone has any objections to splitting the group up.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Connie

Connie wasn't sure just how right Toby was, (though she was pretty sure how right he thought he was.) She sighed. "Right. Let's keep it simple. Password is 'Rocky'. Use it in a sentence. Counterpass is 'Mountains'. If you don't get the right reply then there's ears on the other end. We're going to need you in the morning Toby, so take care of yourself. Sheriff Jim already told me to say hello to the lady that runs the school so I'll look into that first. St. Lawrence's School for Wayward Children, he called it." She thought about it, wondering why it bothered her. "St. Lawrence was kind of an odd duck, I remember he was martyred but..." She shook her head. "Anyway, it's time we got back."

With that she headed outside. The thin tall plants she didn't recognize drew her eye, and she pulled a leaf off of one of them and pocketed it before climbing back into the SUV.

"Looks like we're not the only ones out tonight." she said, looking at the fires in the distance.

Connie will go back to Norah's and go to bed. John can come with or stay as he likes.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

John
Watching Toby head into the house, and Connie head for the car, John gave a little sigh as he took his last drag. Dropping his butt, he gave Toby a nod and headed back to the car with Connie. One person keeping an eye on Hart was concern, after all, two looked suspiciously like protection detail. Besides, it was probably safer here than in town, Connie might need some back-up.

Do I get a common/danger sense about leaving Toby here/heading back with Connie at all?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

ForeverBWFC posted:

Do I get a common/danger sense about leaving Toby here/heading back with Connie at all?

Yep. You get a reeeeal bad feeling about it. You're not thrilled about splitting up the group, especially leaving a single man out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe you could all stay but you're not getting great impressions of that either, but still better than leaving him alone.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

John

Taking a look back to the retreating Toby, John jogged over to the car and caught Connie's arm before she could get in.

"Connie, I don't like this." he said, softly. "Call it a hunch, but something about this feels majorly off. I really don't think we should split up tonight. Come on, bring the car with the gear in right round front, I'll see if I can persuade him to come back to town with us. Hell, he can bring Hart for all I care!"

And with that, he turned back to the house.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Connie

That got Connie's attention. Toby might have been given to dramatics at times, but John wasn't. "You think... Whoever went after the daughter might come back for the parents?" she asked in a low whisper. What Hart had said made her wonder just how much of a snakepit they'd really stumbled into.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

Toby is checking on the comatose Hart and notices that John and Connie haven't left and appear to be conversing. If he was going to be left here he was going to have to argue his point. He wasn't surprised - Toby wasn't a superior officer and they didn't have to accept the risk he was volunteering to take if they didn't want to. And he had to admit, if the danger was as real as he thought, he was still just one man, shotgun or no.

His decision had been based primarily on the desire to maintain cover, but if his gut was right and Hart was in danger tonight then the noose was likely tightening around their throats in any case. He didn't feel right about leaving Hart behind - he was the only person in town that he felt could be trusted, at this point, and if he died it stood to reason that whatever avenues of inquiry the team could make would dry up. But he also didn't know to what extent the team could protect Hart and his wife. If they managed to bring them to the hotel, they might be saved, but at the cost of whatever pretenses toward being unsuspecting that the team had left in Tokacha. They would know that the troopers were aware of their threat... but at this point, maybe it was worth throwing curveballs.

Would we be able to bring the team plus Hart and his wife in the truck in one trip?

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 26, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Phone post : It is possible

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

Toby sizes up the sleeping Hart and mentally charts the easiest path to haul the man to the car. The man was comparatively massive, but Toby was in fairly good shape and had broad enough shoulders to have played line defense in high school.

Toby checks the back door one last time and strides out to meet his partners, shotgun slung across his shoulders. "Something on your minds? Place is locked up tight as I can manage."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

John and Toby carry Johnathan while Connie backs up the SUV. They toss the 300 pounds of tall farmer into the trunk and make room.

As you go off, you notice more of those lights in the distance. Now there's dozens, maybe more. The clouds swirl and scream, and the wind is with you.

The rest of the ride to Norah's is uneventful. You make your way to her tavern and see the door open and unlocked. There is a flashlight at the entrance with a note.

quote:

Feel free to go inside, I know you are busy. I left this light so you could find your way upstairs. Don't want you turning the main light on, people might think we're open. There's drinks and the stew is still in the cooker warm if you're hungry.

-Norah

You drag up Johnathan and find a bed in the room. As you look out the windows, you see more lights in the distance. You're tired and desperately want sleep.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

After having exerted himself mightily over a very long day, Toby is just about tapped out. There was no further recourse for whatever danger they might be in. They had perhaps saved the Harts (for a time) and that would have to be enough.

Toby checks the doors and the windows for locks and crashes out with his pistol under his pillow and the shotgun leaning on the nightstand within reach, as one does. If the door swings inward rather than outward, he'll wedge a chair under the handle, and bolt it if there's a bolt. Norah could have a key, after all.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The three investigators wake up, with no incident. Johnathan is still sound asleep, snoring loudly.

Outside, the terrible weather continues.

Something feels very very wrong to you. Downstairs you smell eggs and pork, Norah seems to be cooking.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

mugrim posted:

Something feels very very wrong to you. Downstairs you smell eggs and pork,

Hey, if you wake up and can smell bacon and eggs, nothing much can be wrong :)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

Toby cracks his neck. It felt good to be recharged after a night's sleep, but the stone in his stomach upon waking was troubling. It occurs to Toby that whoever had killed Megan was probably focused elsewhere last night, even given the danger they'd felt at the Hart farm. Or if this was some pagan conspiracy, they had multiple targets. They couldn't waste any more time. Something was happening and they needed to stop it.

With the blinds open, Toby gently wakes Hart and informs him of the danger they felt he and his wife were in, and asks if he can feel this dread too.

Is this feeling just a general sense of unease or is there something unique to it that might be characteristic of Toby's unseen sense?

Toby might be going Nic Cage here soon.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Toby

Both

Hart is barely listening as you rattle on. You're a bit too loud for him.

"What? Where am I?"

He looks around.

"No, NO!"

He looks around, disheartened.

"I'm getting some loving pancakes."

He walks downstairs, Norah has pancakes being made on the stove, some ham steak too.

He makes his way down to the bar. Norah's dog barks a couple of times. She serves Johnathan a plate with a pancakes and ham. Johnathan drops the ham steak to the dog immediately.

A lonely old man sits a few seats away from Hart, also just eating pancakes. His breakfast is eggs and pancakes, with a glass of Whiskey.

Norah yells out to you upstairs, without her head turning in the slightest.

"I have anything you all want! Come down and eat!"

Johnathan reluctantly eats his pancakes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

As soon as Hart walks out the door of the room, Toby is struck by an electric twinge that flares in the back of his neck and travels down his back to his tailbone, like he had touched a circuit that hadn't been grounded. The first twinge is powerful, and it washes over him in echoes, until it registers as a cold thrum in his body. The jolt extends to his senses - Toby suddenly feels awake in a raw and vivid way. Toby had only been knocked out once, during the police academy boxing semifinals in his last year there, and the effects he felt now only reminded him of the smelling salts violently plucking him from his post-bout stupor.

Toby momentarily loses his balance and steadies himself on Hart's headboard, and he takes a deep breathe. His nose registers the faint smell of copper and rain on concrete. Something had changed last night, and he had picked up its signal like an antenna.

He turns to John and Connie. "Something... Something is very wrong. Very, very wrong. Whoever... They are doing something and we have to stop them. It's going to get worse." Toby checks the clip and chamber of his pistol and straps it to his side, then hurriedly exits the room and travels down the stairs. He stands at the entrance of the bar for a few moments, collecting himself. He then walks to the bar and takes a seat between Hart and the old man. "Flapjacks, please." he says, sounding slightly confused. He turns to the old man, a blank and dazed look on his face.

Does Toby recognize the old man?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Toby has no idea who the old man is.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

Toby focuses, trying to act less freaked out than he clearly is. While waiting for his pancakes, Toby fishes his pack of cigarettes from his jacket pocket. Still unopened - he had bummed from John earlier - so he unwraps it and pulls one, then places the pack on the bar. He turns to the old man. "Got a light, mister?"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Totally missed this. Whoops.

"Absolutely."

The older man whips out a match and strikes it in one motion, quicker than a man half his age.

He pulls out his own cigar with his other hand and lights it with the same match before it's out.

"Why the hell not. Jerry Jerrod. Pleasure to meet you. What brings some fine state officials like you to our dull neck of the woods?"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The townsfolk know about the body (so to speak) being found, right? I'll continue assuming that's the case, if it's not I'll probably want to revise.

Toby

"Thank you." Toby says as he draws the cigarette back and drags. "Toby Shaw, Kentucky State Troopers. My partners came out here on a tip regarding an old unresolved case, and... well." Toby glances at Hart through the corner of his eye and takes another deep drag. "We're still trying to get our bearings, we're not familiar with this area of Kentucky. Would we be able to bend your ear for a little while?"

Manipulation + Persuade, if necessary.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

you assume, but he seemingly does not know

"I'm not much of what you would call a social person typically. Keep to myself on the mountain. But this morning I woke up and felt different, and this is quite the surprise."

He puffs his cigar and downs the entire glass of Whiskey.

"I'm a writer, I live here. My writing gets on the shelves, but not a lot of people read it. Probably better that way, lets me live how I want and I don't have to talk about how poo poo it is. So tell me about this case you're following, I'll help you anyway I can. Norah, get me another bottle of local."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

"I appreciate that, Mr. Jerrod. Let's finish our breakfast, then we can go up to our room. My notepad's still up there, and we might as well speak privately."

Toby will eat the pancakes he was presumably given and then head up with Jerrod.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

He quickly goes to the room with you, he is eager to speak. Johnathan remains downstairs.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

Toby introduces Jerrod to John and Connie, then sits down on the edge of his bed and pulls out his notepad and pen. He looks straight at Jerrod. "Mr. Jerrod, what is going on in this town?"

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

John

While Toby got cosy with the local hack, John ate his pancakes in a glum mood. He couldn't describe the sense of foreboding he'd felt yesterday, but now it was daylight and comfortable he felt silly for reacting like a scared kid. Still, his gut was usually right... Skipping the meat, John just had pancakes as well, lighting up a smoke before turning to Norah.

"Anything interesting happen while we were away yesterday?" he said, attempting small talk.

Also, body language check on Norah please. How is she reacting to Hart's being there?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Connie

Connie woke up late, rubbed her eyes, got dressed in a T-shirt and a pair of jeans, and walked down the stairs following the siren scent of pancakes. "Oh thank you, Norah! That smells great." She said, plopping down in the seat next to Hart. "Seriously, if there's anything we can do to help out around here that won't interfere with the investigation don't hesitate to ask."

She gives the dog a scratch on the ears before noticing that Hart had dropped his ham to it.

"You a vegetarian or something?" She asked him quietly, hoping Norah wouldn't hear. When her own plate arrived she dug into everything. Home cooking was a rare enough treat in her life, and home cooking while on a murder investigation was basically unheard of. The pancakes were delicious.

Her ears perked up when the old man Toby was interviewing mentioned his name, and she shoveled the rest of breakfast down in order to follow them upstairs. "Duty calls!" She said, waving to Norah and chasing after Toby. It wasn't just what Hart had said the night before that had her in such a rush, it was the fact that she didn't trust Toby alone with the God-damned press in his current state.

Seriously, the paranoia was starting to get to her. Talking about 'THEM' as if there were aliens watching their every move here. Wasn't plain old murder bad enough?

--

Sorry yesterday was super busy for me!

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Norah

"Pretty boring really. Well, other than everything involving you that is."

The dog licks your hand.

Jerrod

"Well I don't know what YOU are talking about, but I know things get weird here. The weather, the mist, the whiskey, all of it. This entire town tries it's damndest to cut itself off from the world as much as it can."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Toby

Toby holds his right hand up, the pen between his fingers, and gives the man a stern look. "Easy now, Mr. Jerrod. Let's back up. How could this town possibly have any effect on the weather?"

• Locked thread