Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

One of the shops I had to go pick some stuff up from had some pretty cool things.

1 of 5.

Also I found these from Christmas. We don't set up a train around the tree anymore.

Tomorrow I'll be in Knoxville to visit a friend and maybe snag a few more parts. There are a few things owed to me I need to go grab.

I've been waffling on what to do with the motor. I could drop it in relatively stock and use the M50 mani and OBD1 conversion stuff from the other M52 I traded to get the alloy one, or I could keep it OBD2 and take advantage of stuff like android phone apps with bluetooth OBD2 dongles for diagnostic purposes. It'd be a cheap gauge setup. Not as readable or cool as analog gauges though.

I've also been debating opening the motor up or leaving it alone for now. There is some sludgy build up in the motor. It's pretty minor, but since I am tracking this thing I'd like the peace of mind from new rod bearings. If I'm gonna do rod bearings, I'm gonna do new piston rings and a quick and dirty bottle hone of the cylinders. If I'm gonna do that, I guess I might as well chuck another $150 at it and go with M50tu pistons and get 11.5 CR for my troubles.

I guess I'm just gonna go for it and throw some money at the motor. I'd rather delay my track time some more and know for certain the motor is in good shape then risk it and have issues. I want that alloy block to stay windowless.

This semester ends May 1st, and exams last until May 9th. I have until the end of May free before the summer semester starts, so I'll be getting a lot of work done then.

I'm going to see how much it'll cost to balance the rotating assembly. I can do some of the work myself. More expense, but I really want the car to be bulletproof. I'm going to look at a VAC oil pump upgrade too.

For those not in the know about M5X/S5X motors, they love to back off the nut the holds the oil pump drive sprocket on. The nut falls off in the pan, and the sprocket either pops off or shears the spines from the drive shaft. Instant oil starvation. The solution involves red locktite, safety wire, or welding in order of efficacy. This is not a perfect cure however. The shaft itself can shear off. VAC sells an upgraded shaft and sprocket that helps alleviate the issue. That combined with a balanced rotating assembly should leave me safe to wind the motor out to 7200rpm all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
That Jaguar looks loving intense. Please post more pictures of it.

It's probably best to upgrade the motor while you are there. There's no sense in not, it seems.

I found a seized caliper slide on my Girling calipers. Found some ATE calipers in the scrap bin that cleaned up nicely, and some brass guides and new slides. Rebuild kit on order, but I'm feeling fancy.

I also poorly adjusted my valves. Tick tick tick tick tick. I'm going to redo that job tomorrow.

At least everything looks nice and clean in there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, those slot cars bring me back. I had the Aurora Vertigo set but I forget what cars I had.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Lightbulb, I'll try to get out there to take more pictures of that XJ if you post some more pictures of your garage here.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
That's not my garage, but I'll post some pictures. I am fortunate enough to have a good relationship with the local independent BMW shop. I get to use their poo poo myself and for cheap, and I provide on-call computer assistance whenever they need it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I redid my valve adjustment today and now everything sounds great! Photos...

The BMW recycler next door. There are BMWs all the way down the line on both sides.

I also used the scales. Here's the weight with me and a tank of gas.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 19, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Where is this BMW recycler at?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Where is this BMW recycler at?

Iowa City on the east side of town. He mostly does E46s and E36s, with some E30 stuff thrown in there every now and then.

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
Are we still posting clean E30s with Ronals?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I don't remember anyone saying stop :justpost:

I don't think I ever posted pictures of the Cocaine Cowboy here. A good friend of mine in Knoxville heard rumors of this thing sitting in front of some podunk repair shop in Knoxville. He bought it for $2000.

It needs a bit of tlc.

Here's a teaser and a cockblock from some of my other photos. No other pics of the Jag, I wasn't about to remove the cover!

Two more weeks till the end of the semester. Then I can start making some progress! I really do need to find a good place to store the e30, though.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The wheels on that E30 are intense. I really wonder how that thing handles.

That 2002 interior certainly looks nice as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Woo official-ish E30 thread. Yesterday was a pretty good day for German 80's cars at my house...3 E30's, 2 E21's, a E28 and a 928.

Party Alarm posted:

So, anyone ever restore an old shift knob?

Yes

Party Alarm posted:

I don't think I ever posted pictures of the Cocaine Cowboy here. A good friend of mine in Knoxville heard rumors of this thing sitting in front of some podunk repair shop in Knoxville. He bought it for $2000.

Crap I remember seeing that a while ago but never stopped back to see what the story was. Wonder if your friend will bring it to the Knoxville Cars & Coffee on Sunday.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I just bought a '92 318i vert in calypsorot. I have a problem and I need help. :(

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Moxie Omen posted:

I just bought a '92 318i vert in calypsorot. I have a problem and I need help. :(

Pix or it didn't happen.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
What should I do with it, Nitro?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

What should I do with it, Nitro?

Guessing you're asking about the shift knob. I can't tell for sure from the picture but it looks like the basic wood with a plastic inlay type. You can use a light polish or rubbing compound to buff and clean up the plastic emblem then a buffing wheel followed by coat of sealant and more buffing for the handle. I'll have to see if I can figure out where the last one I did ended up.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'm not 100% certain that the emblem is plastic, it kinda looks like painted metal

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013
Ooooh, can I play?

Its been in my family for 22 years!

Sadly I must sell it because moving.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

Pix or it didn't happen.

I've gone full retard.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Alabamarama posted:

Ooooh, can I play?

You're a terrible person

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Alabamarama posted:

Ooooh, can I play?

For how much and where? :getin:

Moxie Omen posted:

I've gone full retard.

Looks like a nice example. The verts don't do much for me but it's cool that you have a '92. Can I ask how much you picked it up for?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

Looks like a nice example. The verts don't do much for me but it's cool that you have a '92. Can I ask how much you picked it up for?

Low enough that I feel a little bad + lucky. Dude a couple blocks over from my apt had it for a while and then his wife got a new VW and it was an extraneous third car. I walked over and offered him cash and he took it.

It's in decent shape, I just need to fix a bunch of typical E30 things like window switches and the gauge cluster. I need to do the thermostat & coolant gauge temp sensor since it never seems to fully get up to temp. Also need to bleed the clutch and refresh some suspension as it seems to have a shimmy around 50-60mph.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I should let you all know that my old E30 is still in the driveway as a parts car should any of you want something.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Beach Bum, what front calipers are on your car?

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

My iX is the best car I've ever owned. It's sadly been replaced by something a little more fun but I'm having a hard time willing myself to sell it...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Don't sell it.... it can't be that awful to insure?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here is my 91 318is

Ordered GC coilovers, some ESM 007 16x8 +20 wheels, a 3.73 LSD, and a few other things. Daily beater in style. Replaced the o2 sensor and redid all of the vac lines as soon as I bought it since the thing was eating gas / bouncing idle / etc and now it's smooth as hell. Also put in AKG offset CABs, new control arms, inner and outer tie rods... next on the list is to take care of the rear of the car.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 25, 2014

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

Here is my 91 318is

Ordered GC coilovers, some ESM 007 16x8 +20 wheels, a 3.73 LSD, and a few other things. Daily beater in style. Replaced the o2 sensor and redid all of the vac lines as soon as I bought it since the thing was eating gas / bouncing idle / etc and now it's smooth as hell. Also put in AKG offset CABs, new control arms, inner and outer tie rods... next on the list is to take care of the rear of the car.

It's pretty hilarious to me but that's just typical E30 purchase now. First, buy the car. Then, replace a ton of poo poo.

I know you said it's running great now, but check your intake boot for cracks as well. They go bad fairly often.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll probably just order another boot anyway - I can see cracks in it but not ones that go through which means a few probably do go through.
Too bad I've got the motorcycle bug bad otherwise I'd sell my track-ish GSXR750 and drop a 24v in here... What the hell am I saying, it'll end up swapped eventually if I keep it long enough.

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013

Lightbulb Out posted:

For how much and where? :getin:

Huntsville, AL (hence username) and its in the "AI For Sale" thread, bottom of pg. 5 if you are interested.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Sometimes I think I want an e30. Then I realize I don't hate myself that much. It's like wanting a w8 powered VW. I'd much rather live vicariously through you guys. Also: Jesus loving Christ to that Jag. Are you kidding me?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sometimes I think I want an e30. Then I realize I don't hate myself that much. It's like wanting a w8 powered VW. I'd much rather live vicariously through you guys. Also: Jesus loving Christ to that Jag. Are you kidding me?

Comparing a W8 powered VW to an E30 is a little extreme, but to have a sorted one definitely takes some work. Once it's set up, it's really not that bad though. Pretty standard old car poo poo. And the car is easy to work on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

They are super easy to work on, parts are cheap, and every issue is well documented. If I didn't need the extra space I'd be building a K24 Miata right now.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Its no where near as bad as VAG products.

Most e30s you see have over 150k miles and are all over 20 years old now. Of course they need maintenance!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I abuse the poo poo out of my E30 and defer maintenance all the time and the only time it's ever left me stranded is when I've killed the battery and had a pinhole in a radiator hose. Parts are way less than all my coworkers with VAG products and most importantly the car is fun to drive.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

I abuse the poo poo out of my E30 and defer maintenance all the time and the only time it's ever left me stranded is when I've killed the battery and had a pinhole in a radiator hose. Parts are way less than all my coworkers with VAG products and most importantly the car is fun to drive.

That describes it exactly. My only stranding was when my clutch fan let go and then took out the belts, too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

E30's are generally very reliable as well as being cheap and easy to fix. I've owned several, my brothers totaled several and we race one in ChumpCar/WRL. You can beat on them for hours and defer maintenance without too much worry of things going horribly wrong as long as you are up to date on the more major things (timing belt, water pump). Our stupid ChumpCar has 250k+ on the chassis, engine is from a junkyard car that had 180k+ and we run it without breaks for 7 hours at a time minimum. It continues to amaze me every race.

Today is E30 and E28 wash day at my house once it warms up, cars and coffee tomorrow morning. Should have some nice pictures from the event and supposedly there will be 3 E30 M3's in attendance. If any of you are around Knoxville and have some time to kill tomorrow morning it's 8-11am at the West Town mall parking lot - https://www.facebook.com/events/219731038228323/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 26, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am always jealous of your driveway. 80's german tech at its finest!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The wiring to the speed sensor on the diff let go. I crimped a new connector on, didn't even have to jack it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setanta
Feb 6, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

Who else have gods true chariot, an E30, on the forums? I know myself, Beach Bum, Party Alarm, Moxie Alarm, aventari....

My '86 325 with '80s BBS bodykit:

• Locked thread