Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lightbulb Out posted:

Who else have gods true chariot, an E30, on the forums? I know myself, Beach Bum, Party Alarm, Moxie Alarm, aventari....

91 318is DD here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here is my 91 318is

Ordered GC coilovers, some ESM 007 16x8 +20 wheels, a 3.73 LSD, and a few other things. Daily beater in style. Replaced the o2 sensor and redid all of the vac lines as soon as I bought it since the thing was eating gas / bouncing idle / etc and now it's smooth as hell. Also put in AKG offset CABs, new control arms, inner and outer tie rods... next on the list is to take care of the rear of the car.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 25, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll probably just order another boot anyway - I can see cracks in it but not ones that go through which means a few probably do go through.
Too bad I've got the motorcycle bug bad otherwise I'd sell my track-ish GSXR750 and drop a 24v in here... What the hell am I saying, it'll end up swapped eventually if I keep it long enough.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sometimes I think I want an e30. Then I realize I don't hate myself that much. It's like wanting a w8 powered VW. I'd much rather live vicariously through you guys. Also: Jesus loving Christ to that Jag. Are you kidding me?

They are super easy to work on, parts are cheap, and every issue is well documented. If I didn't need the extra space I'd be building a K24 Miata right now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been running my budget coilover set for a while now - $350 for the GC coilover kit with 450/600 rates, $73 for KYB Gas-a-Just Camaro rear shocks, and $100 for KYB AGX SW22 MR2 rear shocks used in the front from Amazon warehouse. $525 isn't bad. Love it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 21, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Party Alarm posted:

Yeah, south of Nashville. I studied at UT K for a while.

I JUST BOUGHT MORE PARTS!

Snagged two sets of Triumph Daytona 675 throttle bodies for 70 shipped.

Do these really work on the x5x motors? I've got a set left over from my 06 675 and I've also got a spare set for my 06 GSXR750.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like my M42 for what it is. It's not quick but it's got enough power for the street and it's reliable. Only downsides I have for it are that because it's got the 88 pin ECU there isn't an official PNP Megasquirt kit and there isn't a company currently selling a plug and play MS kit (there used to be two). Also, the V-Belt setup means it's a pain in the rear end to put a SC on the car. I feel like the car (at least mine, the way it's set up) suits a highly strung i4 or i6 like the F20C or S50B30.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 12, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

Aren't you in Phoenix? We could make an MS harness in a weekend if we really really really work hard at it.

Yeah, Scottsdale. I want a PNP kit so I can pop the stock ECU back in without an issue while I work out the bugs tuning. Have you run MS before?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What calipers are those?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Smallest wheel to clear?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

boxen posted:

I managed mine without too much trouble. You need a special thin wrench for the fan clutch but otherwise it's not too bad.

Bicycle shop will have this. They use 'em for the cranks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I ordered a stock ECU to gut for a housing / 88 pin ECU connector for my 318is. I hate my sanity so I am trying out Megasquirt in a form that I will be able to PNP into my stock harness so I can easily switch back to the stock ECU.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's really really really fun. I average about 28mpg on the highway and 25 in town. If you slow down it does significantly better.

Check the oil pan for bolts, there's a plastic coolant passageway that breaks under the manifold, you'll probably want to replace the chain tensioner, and I think it handles better than my 325 due to the lighter motor. Also, typical E30 rust and bushings issues.

Yeah, I'm averaging 26mpg city/highway with my 91 318is. It's got heavy wheels on it and I beat on it. Savagely. All the time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Guys, every time I see a new post in my thread it leads me to start looking for another E30. :smith:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
When you decide to get rid of one... let me know...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Always hoard parts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, E36 5 lug stuff fucks your geometry so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Party Alarm posted:

Or you could just press e36 hubs on stock e30 spindles like I did v0v

It's a lot cheaper. I have e36 M3 brakes on all four corners right now, and they're bolted up and work. I can send you a set of adapters

What about the rear?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Widens the track?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=210078

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 13, 2015

• Locked thread