Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Woo official-ish E30 thread. Yesterday was a pretty good day for German 80's cars at my house...3 E30's, 2 E21's, a E28 and a 928.

Party Alarm posted:

So, anyone ever restore an old shift knob?

Yes

Party Alarm posted:

I don't think I ever posted pictures of the Cocaine Cowboy here. A good friend of mine in Knoxville heard rumors of this thing sitting in front of some podunk repair shop in Knoxville. He bought it for $2000.

Crap I remember seeing that a while ago but never stopped back to see what the story was. Wonder if your friend will bring it to the Knoxville Cars & Coffee on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

What should I do with it, Nitro?

Guessing you're asking about the shift knob. I can't tell for sure from the picture but it looks like the basic wood with a plastic inlay type. You can use a light polish or rubbing compound to buff and clean up the plastic emblem then a buffing wheel followed by coat of sealant and more buffing for the handle. I'll have to see if I can figure out where the last one I did ended up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

E30's are generally very reliable as well as being cheap and easy to fix. I've owned several, my brothers totaled several and we race one in ChumpCar/WRL. You can beat on them for hours and defer maintenance without too much worry of things going horribly wrong as long as you are up to date on the more major things (timing belt, water pump). Our stupid ChumpCar has 250k+ on the chassis, engine is from a junkyard car that had 180k+ and we run it without breaks for 7 hours at a time minimum. It continues to amaze me every race.

Today is E30 and E28 wash day at my house once it warms up, cars and coffee tomorrow morning. Should have some nice pictures from the event and supposedly there will be 3 E30 M3's in attendance. If any of you are around Knoxville and have some time to kill tomorrow morning it's 8-11am at the West Town mall parking lot - https://www.facebook.com/events/219731038228323/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 26, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Foam Party :krad:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Track One is a thing again, I should post some pictures soon.
Good to hear, weren't you guys located somewhere in the South East? I know I've seen a couple cars driving around Knoxville with Track One stickers.

Regular Car Reviews recently posted their E30 video, mildly entertaining - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSgZGOCyYcY

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

A3th3r posted:

Cool e30, man! I drove an awd gc8 impreza, but sort of wanted to get an rwd e30 or miata (yes, because of 4chan/o/) for a while, especially in college. They look like fun project cars. I threw new shocks & struts in the gc8 but did not ever turbo it, which I wanted to do. She was a real beaut. I've heard that the e30 is the best ever for powerslides.. is that true??

E30's are very well balanced and very easy to control in a slide. In the wet or snow they will slide for as long as you want.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Finally had time and a nice weekend so I put some miles on the M3. Bad news is mice got into it while I was out of town at some point. Bundle of stuff (looks like shipping blanket material) in the trunk and while driving with the sunroof open small chunks of the yellow foam above the headliner were popping out. So that sucks.

Someday I'll remember to bring a real camera when I go for a drive.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

E30 tribute video/documentary - http://vimeo.com/107437867

Pretty good clip

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

poo poo I missed it last year because I was sick, missed it this year because I was out of town (and forgot about it). One of these years everything will line up and I'll make it in one of the E30's. Looks like you guys had a good turnout.

In E30 news I banged up our E30 vert chump pretty good at RA the last race. We're going to re-skin the entire passenger side, fix the bent/broke components and continue to beat the hell out of it. Looking at four races for next season.

Party Alarm posted:

RIP little buddy. I'll miss you :smith:
Sorry about the furry friend.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Think I may be going to look at a E30 318is slicktop in a few hours. Don't need another car, especially another E30 but the price is stupid cheap and it looks immaculate. We'll see what 'upgrades' have been installed and go from there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Haven't seen the car yet, guy got back to me late but sent me a list of what's been done. Then a friend offered his one owner, full records, houndstooth interior 325es. Damnit I'm bad at impulse buying cars when I have to pick between two...leaning towards the 318is at the moment. A clean, full records car is nice but I'm not a huge fan of the 325es.

Need to find some time this week or weekend to do some test drives.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rscott posted:

Don't you have an entire spare M20 engine? eta crank/rods + is pistons and heads makes a decent little lump

I have several M20's but if I'm going to bother with a swap or building a motor I have an S52 that would be going in. This week looks like crap so hopefully I can find time this weekend to go take a look at both.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Went and looked at the 318is today. It's at a shop now so one of the guys there showed it and told me what they know, owner was busy. Pictures didn't show how bad the paint is. Not sure if it's been resprayed already or factory clearcoat but it's peeling all over and looks like poo poo. Mechanically it seems good, didn't find any rust and it sounds good. Waiting on the guy to get back to me for a test drive. So we'll see.

Found the listing where he bought it - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=330561

If I buy it I'll either wrap or plasti-dip it so it looks a little better. Also thinking about dropping the E21 off at the shop to have them put in all the suspension, bushings, 5-speed and other stuff. Just don't have the time to tear into it right now and want to start driving it. Not sure if it will be 318is OR 320i or it will be both...need to see how much he'll come down on price.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looks like E36 M3 front calipers to me, also his assembly lists them as that.

Test driving 318is Thursday night I think.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Test driving 318is Thursday night I think.

Test drove it this morning. While it drives good it has a TON of little issues that would add up quickly. Made them an offer but they feel the car is worth 5k which seems pretty drat high. So no new beater E30 for me this weekend.

First time driving a 318 and that's a fun little engine. More torque than I expected and honestly feels fairly similar to the S14.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone object to me dumping E21 content in here? I don't feel like making my own thread and it would make more sense here then the general BMW thread...those guys and their NEW cars.

Planned on working on it tonight but got tied up on some work related crap so I'm just going to wait until I have the full day tomorrow. Will be going through pretty much everything.

Party Alarm posted:

This is unrelated to e30s, but Speedhunter's Scion FR-S won some Scion Tuner Challenge.... Parts I designed for Chase Bays are on that car. This is so awesome!
Very cool

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Made some progress on the E21. Sadly you'll have to put up with snapchat images and only the ones I remembered to save. I may take some real pictures next time.

Tuesday night I rearranged the garage to move the E21 to center then put it up on jack stands in preparation for the holiday weekend. Planned on getting started earlier but didn't get garage time until yesterday and more today. Pictures are somewhat in order other than some random stuff at the beginning.

Big box of bushings from Eurometric included a bunch of stickers which is awesome.

Goofy E21 control arm from Eurometric, he sends these ready to bold in.

Original Clymer manual for the E21

First step I thought I would pull the drums, disassemble the rear end and drop everything.

I thought wrong - got these out this evening with BFH

Moved up front and tossed the engine support bar on in preparation for dropping the front subframe

Front subframe dropped - then I put it back on because fighting old hardware while that thing is flopping around sucks

Some old brakes - I'm thinking of doing the Volvo caliper upgrade

Front mostly torn down - tie rods and control arm are stuck on both side

Prepping to drop the driveshaft - still stuck on this end

Guibo is in excellent condition and the hardware looked new - need to check records

Removing half shafts - lots of stinky fluid

Those done - prepping for trailing arms but ended up pulling shocks first

End of the day today - front subframe out, rear shocks out and all bolts loose ready to drop rear subframe

Plan for tomorrow is get the stupid driveshaft separated from the diff then drop the rear subframe. Then pull the steering rack off the front subframe so I can start cleaning that up. Need to figure out how to get the struts un-stuck from things. Might start working on getting the old bushings out. I'm seriously considering running out and buying a large compressor and some air tools before I start tomorrow.

Thanks to black Friday specials I had a last minute change of mind for the suspension, there's a big expensive box of goodies that should be here in a week or so.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

AncientTV posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who leaves all my tools laying around like that.

Bachelor life! Usually I'd clean up but when I'm going to be right back at it the next morning I don't bother. Once I drop the rear sub and get everything separated today I'll clean up some stuff so it's not a complete disaster while I'm waiting for parts.

Who wants to guess how many orders are going to be placed for stupid miscellaneous hardware? Haven't placed an order yet but I should really start a list...

Love to contrast in that shot. I'm throwing how much money at the car yet I'm working out of a Sears all-in-one toolkit I bought years ago using hand tools. The drill isn't even an impact and has poo poo for torque. Priorities man.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 29, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

E21 Update #2

Started by pulling out the trailing arms - still can't get the stupid swaybar point out

Then dropped the diff after fighting to get the driveshaft off for 20 minutes

Rear subframe dropped out nicely and didn't hang up at all...I'm amazed

Old vs new subframe bushings - like how the mount detaches from the subframe

Pulled the steering rack off the front subframe

Need to load everything up in the VW and drop it off at the local E30 shop in a couple hours. I'm going to have them remove the old bushings and press in the new ones, I don't have a torch or press. Also going to have them tear down the front struts (for core charge return) and detach them from the control arms and tie rods. Might have them do some general cleanup of the stuff I drop off as well.

Rest of the weekend will be spent cleaning up the subframes, diff and other parts I'm going to reuse. Lots of degreaser will be used, this car had some long term leaks from the look of things.

I need to take a closer look at my front swaybar, it looks close but slightly different from the new one I have. It's listed as fitting 77-83 but I'm not so sure. If it won't fit I need to change the spring rates I ordered before everything ships.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm, didn't know you guys were working with Eric for detailing. Great guy, did the M3 right after I brought it home.

E21 progress is slow at the moment. Between waiting on parts and going away for the holidays there's not much to report. 63lb of suspension goodies shipped this morning and should be waiting for me when I get back from vacation. Massive order of bearings, calipers, rotors and brake stuff is arriving today. Looking at upgrading the master cylinder to possibly E12 to go with the large calipers in front and calipers (instead of drums) in the rear.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

angryrobots posted:

I think the new wheels are pretty OK.

Not bad, I might pick up a set of those for the E21 if I don't like how the Kosei K1's look on it. The dinky 13" wheels aren't going to clear the calipers I'm putting on the car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I ordered a stock ECU to gut for a housing / 88 pin ECU connector for my 318is. I hate my sanity so I am trying out Megasquirt in a form that I will be able to PNP into my stock harness so I can easily switch back to the stock ECU.

You figure out everything and take lots of notes. Then once you're done send me a copy so I don't go as crazy trying to Megasquirt the 320i. I've started sourcing the parts to change it over to EFI but plan to drive it for a while before I start that project.

It's slowly nearing being done with brakes, suspension, bushings and 5-speed. I think all that's left is make brake lines, install shifter stuff, install driveshaft (new guibo, new csb), rebuild CV's, rebuild rear axles, mount exhaust and fill all the fluids.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Anyone have a spare differential for a 4sp E30 laying around? Sister in law's car is back on the road finally and it sounds like the diff is dying.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 20, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looks like I'll be joining the beater 5 army. A chipped S38 is a wonderful thing...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

91 318i would be M42 wouldn't it? M10 was phased out in late 80's to M40 then M42 around 1990 I think. Either way the 4 cylinder cars are fun if you rev them and get good mileage if you don't. The Eta M20 engined cars are a great option as rscott mentioned, good torque and mileage just no top end.

318 four door would be a nice little car for commuting and hauling kids.

Interior on the M5 should be finished by next weekend, trying to figure out when I can run up there and drive it back. Only ~500 mile trip so not bad and the car cruises really well. Friend and his girlfriend want to see DC so I might drive up with them instead of flying.

E21 is done and on the road once I remove, clean and reseal the exhaust studs. It fired right up into a crappy idle despite sitting for over a year. Need to toss the cotter pins in the rear axle after I torque them a little more and fix the studs then it'll be ready to drive. Need to find the title and stuff so I can re-register it and be legal.

What a tease

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Saturday afternoon I was able to drive the E21 out of the garage under its own power. Still have some things to work out but after ~11 weeks it felt drat good to get the thing back on the ground and moving.

Have one brake that's dragging, think it's drivers side rear so need to pop that off and make sure it isn't seized or something. Right now it's headers only so it's loud as hell. The exhaust I bought wasn't made to work with aftermarket headers so I fought with that a bit Sunday. Think I'm just going to drive it as-is to the fab/welding shop a few minutes away and have him deal with it...I hate exhaust work.

Ground Control Coilovers, 15x7 Kosei K1 (E30 fit) with 15mm spacers to clear steering knuckle. May put in some front camber so it matches the rear a little better.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sinestro posted:

You probably don't still need one, but I've got a 4.10 smallcase lying in my garage.
I've convinced him running the 3.73 out of the parts car isn't going to 'ruin' her car and driving experience. Thanks for the offer.

That the E36 caliper mount for E30? Looks like it turned out pretty good and should be easy to machine if everything lines up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

M50b25tu pistons (just a vanos M50) in an M52b28 with b28 rods and crank.

I think a local BMW shop is doing the same M50/M52 hybrid type thing. Interesting build.

Party Alarm posted:

Chem-dip to the rescue.
drat I'm going to have to keep Chem-Dip in mind, that cleaned up great.

Debating between a S50/52 or M20 stroker for a possible future project. Thought it was as simple as using some parts from a super eta engine but apparently there's about a million drat ways to do it. Guess I need to figure out how much money I want to spend and how much power I want.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

drat how the hell. We were trying to figure out what we would need to do to fit 225 on the racecar, 275 would be pretty fun.

charliemonster42 posted:

Stroker M20 is going to cost you at least as much as an S50/52 *and* you still have to do valve adjustments every how often. I was on the same line of thinking and was fairly set on the stroker M20 until the last time I had to do the valves and then I said gently caress this lovely loving engine and gently caress these loving valve loving adjusters. It wouldn't be that bad if the brim on the head was 3/4" lower than it is. Just enough to allow you to get the feeler gauges in there at a decent angle rather than having to fight the bastards in there.

And then I found a full M52B28 swap on craigslist for $1200 and that sealed the deal.
I need to read up on the S50 swap more but I've got one sitting in WI that I should just send down and use. Haven't driven a S50/52 powered one in a while but I remember it being pretty drat fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

How in the gently caress did I lose my 3.25 LSD
Dumbass

Hey I might finally have some time to do a heads up of the M3 and the M5 next month. What do you fuckers want?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Just a heads up, the Spring Brodeo is coming up in a couple weeks. Mostly an E30 meet but other BMW's usually show up as well.

R3V link - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=349134
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/912546888789473/

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Hoping to have the brown car make the brodeo so I can finally show up in an e30
Other than the diff you misplaced what does it need?

I need to get off my rear end and replace the god drat cooling system on the E30 then it will be ready to go. Worst case I go the lazy route and just toss in the radiator then do everything else after.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Ha, I didn't even click on it until you said this, I didn't know there were any events in the southeast. I sent the link to my wife and she said "Oh my. You should go".

I've never been a member of r3v, think I'd be welcome? Give me a reason to hang on to the old girl a while longer (the car not the wife).

You'd be welcome, I haven't been active on r3v or any BMW forum in a long time but am friends with the guy hosting. As long as you aren't an rear end you'll get along with everyone and be welcome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Guys, every time I see a new post in my thread it leads me to start looking for another E30. :smith:

As you should, get rid of that lemon of a car you're driving and get another money pit E30.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That turned out pretty great despite the lovely plastic.

Replacing ALL the heater and coolant hoses on a S14 car is a loving pain in the rear end. I wimped out and only did the ones on the front of the engine and going to the overflow tank. Went to replace the thermostat and can't get the loving sensors out of it, can't even get the block plugs out of the new one. So running old thermostat for now as well because :effort: At least the water pump was a piece of cake to change. Fill, flush, fill then bleed the system today then take it for a spin.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Building a motor is a huge pain in the rear end and you have to clean everything elevendy billion times, just btw

Well yeah but when it's done you get to brag about the motor you built. Unless it blows up, then you say someone else built it.

You making it to the Brodeo?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Brodeo was awesome, had to leave early to make a lunch date. Looks like I missed a good drive back to Knoxville...or I lucked out and didn't get stuck working on the stupid E30 vert when it broke AGAIN.

Your E30 better be at the next one. Whatever I bring will have proper tires and brakes so I can do dusk runs.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

Another one showed up. 87 325is w/ 93k
Here's the 90

drat those are clean, love the red on black. Nice find on the 87.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Oh god I'm bleeding money out of my rear end

pics or it didn't happen. Of the things you're throwing money at, not your bloody rear end.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You missed me sliding the M5 around Tail of the Dragon in the rain. That thing going to be at the Spring Brodeo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Do I spend $4k on a full drop-in E30 M3 Ground Control coilover setup with reinforced subframes, trailing arms and all the goodies or wait until I at least have a rolling chassis to put them in?

Think I'm going to start hoarding parts for a E30 track rat build next winter. Regular E30, fully caged and gutted down to around 2200lb with a fun engine swap.

Let the :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew: begin because I'm likely either buying that or an engine.

• Locked thread