Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

Why no V8 anymore? I love your E30s and it makes me want to swap all of mine.

Superleggera man! Looks like he's going for light weight over raw power with that aluminum block M52

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
M54 is electronic throttle which is a lot harder to swap over to an E30

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hi I'm stealing that first picture picture for my desktop background at work so I have something to motivate me to give a gently caress, that is basically what I want my car to look like except in alpine white.

Here is my crappy but lovable E30:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I abuse the poo poo out of my E30 and defer maintenance all the time and the only time it's ever left me stranded is when I've killed the battery and had a pinhole in a radiator hose. Parts are way less than all my coworkers with VAG products and most importantly the car is fun to drive.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You just have to lose 80 lbs to make up for it (if you are a skinny person don't do this) :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yall realize he's already done a m60 swap in this car before right, I don't think finishing it will be the issue, I guess it comes down to how you want the car to drive

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Don't you have an entire spare M20 engine? eta crank/rods + is pistons and heads makes a decent little lump

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If that's optical I'm not 100% sure on the accuracy but the laser Faro scanner we have is accurate out to about .010" @ 15 feet or so IIRC and the precision gets smaller as you move closer, our arms are somewhere like .0001 in an 8 foot cubic space

we use verisurf to do our builds and poo poo

e: this is my lab

rscott fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 14, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is the kinect driver some kind of home brew that's specific to the metrology software you're using? Wonder if I could do a build with one and test the accuracy, I've got enough standards I could use, not exactly sure how you would align it properly though

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A very good idea if there's records of maintenance, M30s are tanks of engines even more so than M20s since they're timing chain driven

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
if i had $2k sitting around i'd drive down there with a buddy and get it myself, besides the hail damage the thing looks to be in excellent shape

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So you can run 5 bolt hubs on the E30 spindles with what you're designing? It'll be nice to be able to swap in bigger brakes without screwing up the suspension geometry

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Who's 87 is that, gently caress that's a pretty car

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

I have the usual e36 32mm fan wrench. Same?

it's the same wrench iirc, and it's not a difficult job at all. might as well do the water pump too if you're doing the rest of the front of the engine

e: Time for some Christmas maintenance on the eta, try and chase down that stupid misfire issue after it rains. Gonna throw all this poo poo at it
code:
	Air Filter (from 9/85) Brand: Mann (1986 BMW 325es Base Coupe)
    [More Info] 	$8.00	1 	

Fuel Filter Brand: Mahle-Knecht, Brand: Mahle-Knecht
    [More Info] 	$14.25	1 	

Rocker Shaft Plug In Head (4 per car, sold individually), Brand: Victor Reinz
    [More Info] 	$1.00	4 	

Kit PEL-E30IGNSK-03N: Ignition Coil, 325/e/es/i/is/iC/iX (1984-91), M3 (1987-91) Brand: Bosch
    [More Info] 	$80.25	1 	

Kit PEL-E30IGNSK-03N: Ignition Wire Set Brand: Karlyn-STI
    [More Info] 	$86.50	1 	

Kit PEL-E30IGNSK-03N: Spark Plug, Bosch WR-9-LS, 325/e/es (1984-87), Each Brand: Bosch
    [More Info] 	$6.50	6 	

Kit PEL-E30IGNSK-03N: Ignition Rotor (Bolt-On Type), Brand: Bremi Brand: Bremi
    [More Info] 	$20.50	1 	

Kit PEL-E30IGNSK-03N: Distributor Cap, Brand: Bremi Brand: Bremi
    [More Info] 	$54.75	1 	
Subtotal: $307.25
And the valve cover gasket i'm buying locally because gently caress paying $11.25 shipping for gasket, i'll get that poo poo at autozone and do the valves too while i'm in there

once all that's done i'll have replaced pretty much everything on the outside of the engine except for the rear main seal :unsmith:

then i just need to do the blower motor and the cluster and the ac and the brakes and get new seats and a new windshield and a new exhaust... :smithicide:

rscott fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 28, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you're looking at m10s you might as well get a 5 spd eta, they're cheap as chips (for e30s) and I regularly got 27mpg combined with 75% highway miles and they actually have some torque, they just fall flat on their face after 4k rpm

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I might buy a M52 swapped E30 in the near future but it doesn't currently have the A/C operational. I'm trying to get more details about what AC hardware is present, but generally how hard/how much is it going to cost to get it working? Looks like most people use the E36 compressor and the rest of the hardware from the E30 but I think that requires customs lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The compressor is mounted, just need to put the belt on and get the lines put in and the system charged.

Don't have any pics of it on my phone right now but this is what I know about it so far:
1989 BMW 325is zinnoberrot
Fully rebuilt m52 motor with m3 cams. Port and polished head
Pink top injectors 
Obd1 converted, all new sensors: crank, cam, temp sensor, intake air temp sensor, o2 sensor 
Ob2 exhaust manifolds
New clutch kit with pressure plate and m20 balanced flywheel
Transmission seals replaced front and rear, with new shift bushings and new shift selector seal.
Stainless steel brake lines all around and stainless steel  clutch line
Catuned stage 1 bbk 4 piston
HnR Coilover in front with camber kit ebach spring setup in rear with Bilstien shocks absorbers all around
318 radiator with electric fan set up
New rubber fuel lines and new fuel filter
Esm wheels
5mm spacer in front to clear bbk kit, 15 mm spacer in rear.
Crack free dash with dash mat to protect it.
Catuned e30 to m50 wireing loom
Rebuilt cluster, with cluster rings and red needles
Rear pop out windows
318is carpet
Is Sport seats
Ski pass seat in rear with head rests
Hounds tooth door cards
Is sport steering wheel
Is front lip
Is rear spoiler
Custom side skirts
Catuned front spilter
Posi diff (LSD)
E36 steering rack with new tie rod ends and new control arms (also had alignment done)
Ireland engineering steering bushing
Ireland engineering Poly motor mounts
New transmission mounts
Stromung exhaust and e36 cats
M3 Wiring loom covers
Renewed finishes powdercoated valve cover
Map light mirror
They want $8500 for it which I could theoretically afford but is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

• Locked thread