Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ok so the question is pretty much summed up in the thread title. Over my time in SA, I spent a lot of time in GBS and over time was exposed to a lot of useful and interesting ideas regarding gender politics and race. I didn't always agree with what was presented but it definitely influenced me. However I started seeing people use the phrase SJW to deride someone who had a critique or criticism about something, like whether it portrayed women or minorities in a bad light, was culturally insensitive, whatever. Now, some of this made sense to me as this site started as a comedy website and the irreverent humor is part of the charm. However it seems that this is a widely held belief, that people who see any problem with the way something is presented are SJW's and therefore shouldn't be listened to. I just don't get it, can anyone let me in on where this opinion came from? I mean, isn't being a crusader for social justice a good thing? I mean, if its purely sarcastic dismissal for the sake of a laugh that would make sense, but that doesn't seem to usually be the case.

So, can someone tell me whats going on here? As I am incredibly confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks for the responses, I have a bit of an idea of what is going on here now, and the two main sides of the discussion. I don't use tumblr so the fact that a lot of the disdain for this "group" doesn't come as a surprise for me. With the current usage and reasoning in mind, I can see why it is used, but I do think it is an overused phrase, insult. As I have seen a few people with legitimate complaints/concerns/questions get laughed out as SJW's. The most recent one I can think of was a derail started in the South Park thread in games where some poster had wished you could play as a girl. The thread tore him to pieces. I also remember some of the threads in old gbs with eighty trigger warnings and people condescendingly correcting each other about what is the appropriate term for someone who sleeps with men who present as women while wearing fursuits. So I know there is a group that is taking itself way to seriously. But now I know where the disdain and usage comes from, so thanks for answering my questions here.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 1, 2014

• Locked thread