Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Madmarker posted:

Ok so the question is pretty much summed up in the thread title. Over my time in SA, I spent a lot of time in GBS and over time was exposed to a lot of useful and interesting ideas regarding gender politics and race. I didn't always agree with what was presented but it definitely influenced me. However I started seeing people use the phrase SJW to deride someone who had a critique or criticism about something, like whether it portrayed women or minorities in a bad light, was culturally insensitive, whatever. Now, some of this made sense to me as this site started as a comedy website and the irreverent humor is part of the charm. However it seems that this is a widely held belief, that people who see any problem with the way something is presented are SJW's and therefore shouldn't be listened to. I just don't get it, can anyone let me in on where this opinion came from? I mean, isn't being a crusader for social justice a good thing? I mean, if its purely sarcastic dismissal for the sake of a laugh that would make sense, but that doesn't seem to usually be the case.

So, can someone tell me whats going on here? As I am incredibly confused.

I feel that any argument of why the social justice warriors are not very well tolerated can be summed up in this post from two years ago about the state of the forums at the time and indeed a growing problem on the internet.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3477096&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post402395175

quote:

There's a lot of hosed up and weird people, on this comedy forum website, who do not ever post jokes, do not enjoy jokes or indeed even laughing, and have coined a derogatory term for people who make jokes. They're all missionaries drawn here by the allure of the fertile lands of videos of a severely asthmatic man playing Megaman games, and interesting philosophical quandries posted by the fake PTSD guy about the nature of doors and windows in Dungeons and Dragons. They are wise men here to educate a savage, uneducated, indigenous sort. It is a sonorous, musical form of education; a greasy collective amasses on the front line of the battle against social injustice, the video game subforum on a message board that has a drop down menu that makes light of the holocaust on every single page, and sings a shrill harmony that permeates the very aether, making my pets feel unsafe, when a video game muscle man calls Catwoman a bitch. They have picked their battles well, and I note from my foxhole that I am running out of ammunition, chiefly in the form of the increasingly finite number of ways I can frame this absurd situation with the English language. I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the poo poo out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The term social justice warrior isn't just for the modern day ultra-PC people who visibly cringe whenever someone says gypsy instead of roma, but is for the type of people who when told they should volunteer their time to physically help their pet cause would instead flippantly react the comments on tumblr as "trolling" and then stay inside all day and post on their 5 different twitter accounts to complain about their pet cause because they post so much that they hit the daily cap on four of those accounts.

This is in no way hyperbole.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

disheveled posted:

I don't like the term "social justice warrior" because this is honestly the first thread where I've seen people generally stick to ripping on the obnoxious morons with tumblrs; when I hear the term in real life, it's usually coming from someone who is getting all pissy after being called out for having a lovely MRA or racist opinion. I've managed to ignore the radical tumblr crap, so my perception of "SJW" has been more like a sort of insult that people fling around when they don't want to acknowledge an argument about "why sexual assault is a problem".

That's not really the SJW people are trying to strawman, but the strawman is more of someone who's personal crusade is "why sexual assault is a pokemon."

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BigFactory posted:

Only nerds listen to metal.

Metal Rules.

• Locked thread