Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
SJWs are like any annoying person on the internet: they're high on their own farts and above all else want to win the argument with star rangers and win internet cred.

What makes them so horrible is their methods, which are to forge some identity (real or imagined) and angle the argument that they are both oppresses and correct and their foes are both bigoted and enjoying an unjust power imbalance.

The "warrrior" part is because they really just get high off the confrontation. In a world where being transfat or whatever was a recognized thing, they would move on to something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Is "head mates" a thing? Like, do SJW types make up another persona so they can always be on the convenient side of an argument?

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I am a trans-ancestor of a witch, so same for me.

Last Buffalo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 3, 2014

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

My Q-Face posted:

Seriously, watch this interview, This Suey Park person is the epitome of SJW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNK-e6nnFGY

God, she is just a ruthless self promoter. When he asks about the whole point of the satire, the racist names of some sports teams, she hand waves it away by saying "Hey, I cared about it before. Now this is my thing. Don't hate, bro." She's like another Guy Aoki in the making.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
The reason SJWs are so disliked isn't because they support things people hate. Ideas like "Sexism still hurts people" or "institutional racism is real and needs to be addressed" are not radical ideas. Its that you must make these ideas the focus of a thread about emulator games, which doesn't advance any cause. And when you disagree with them, they quickly label you the opposition instead of trying to have a conversation or convince anyone.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Yeah, Biotruths have a significant amount of assumptions behind their ideas, and it always comes off as a pseudoscience. After reading this thread, though, it feels like it always comes from men, who while they don't hold any personal prejudices against women, are aware of the inequalities that exist between men and women around them. However, since they assume people are like them, and don't think of women as incapable or weak, they look for another explanation for the difference and figure it has to come from those weird periods womenfolk get.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I'm just saying that Biotruths seem come from people who have a relatively positive view of women, but aren't necessarily sympathetic to them. I don't know how spurious they are, there might be some explanations that are correct. But when I hear something obviously wrong like "Women aren't Engineers because they aren't programmed to be as much as men," I think it usually comes from that type of dude.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

Suben posted:

Mehreen got on Riley's bad side because she made a post talking about how people on Tumblr talk a lot but never actually do anything. They don't protest or demonstrate or anything like that and that if they want to change things they need to do that. She's Pakistani-American but her family is from Pakistan and she's been living there for a long time and is working as a teacher there. Anyway that post pissed off someone (sotrieu I think) who's part of Riley's little Tumblr circle who immediately started crying about how she's ableist because some times people aren't able to protest and how she's also racist becaue if you're black you don't want to go to jail.

Since this person was part of Riley's circle Riley and her crew proceeded to harass and stalk her online for a while. Then they'd stop for a few months, then randomly start up again. The "bar in Lahore" incident was like the third or fourth time they started.

All because someone told them "stop complaining and actually DO something".

Who the gently caress are these people? Are they internet celebrities, or are these just members of a SJW tumbler community you guys read on the reg? Is this a well known internet drama?

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
My first intro to SJWs gone amuck was when Miley Cyrus' Twerkgate happened and some girl wrote some HufPo piece about how she was robbing black culture and it was just like all the times where white men try to sexually attack black women in clubs because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Cultural Appropriation isn't really a big deal. It really isn't.

You want to live in a diverse and open society that values different cultures and the sharing of ideas? Then you are inevitably asking everyone to discover things they like from other cultures and start using it themselves.

Outside of heinously offensive things like minstrel shows it's actually a sign of a thriving and healthy society.

I find some sympathy with people who see other appropriating things, but remaining ignorant about their history and origins. That's not a great thing. But I agree that it never really does that much damage. Colonialism wasn't bad because the colonizers appropriated and repurposed local traditions and cultures, it's that they steamrolled them and tried to replace them. The difference between those two things is what a lot of SJWs miss when talking about it.

• Locked thread