Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp
e: actually, I'm pretty sure I know what answer this is gonna get. :shobon:

Impatient Skype JO fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

Spark That Bled posted:

You know, I see this being bandied about a lot, but I don't see anybody really suggest a concrete example of what they mean. Is this supposed to be a cure-all to absolve you of your social justice sins?

I'm pretty sure lots of people feel the exact same way when they're told to check their privilege or whatever.

But for real, it's not that hard to understand, especially if whoever the post is directed at is involving themselves in a bunch of debates about social justice and how people are oppressed. If you don't know what "go[ing] outside and do[ing] something for your fellow man" entails, then you're what good are you to actual, tangible social justice? (Not 'you' as in you personally, I mean generally)

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

Strategic Tea posted:

SA never seemed like a haven to the kind of SJWs we're mocking in this thread. I've never seen anyone seriously complain that we don't take their trans-nippon dragonsouled idenitity seriously or whatever.

The SJW complaining on SA is mostly people upset that they can't use the word human being for hilarious irony anymore. In which case we've turned our back on our history of mocking 'freaks' like... homosexuals and brown people?

I'm really sick of hearing people say that when every other thread on this site has a sexism derail that pops up out of thin air. We can't even put together a gamers.txt or crappy webcomics thread without a bunch of dipshits chatting about sexism nonstop. Like, don't get me wrong, I'm glad people here are relatively sane, but boy does that "gently caress Misogyny 24/7" thing get old. You'd think they would get tired of agreeing with each other.

Impatient Skype JO fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 11, 2014

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't disagree, I just don't think that the kind of SJW-ing we've mostly been complaining about is very prevalent here, like Faux-rear end implied. At worst we get some threadshitting, and even that usually has a point even if it's a bad place to make it.

SA certainly isn't an otherkin clubhouse or whatever, but it's certainly got a lot of, er, 'socially conscious' posters on it. For instance, pop your head into any mock thread (or any random thread, really) and chances are that somehow, misogyny is one of the main topics. I mean, I like the fact that so many goons are progressive, but we really don't need to hear about it all the time.

Dusseldorf posted:

Sorry people are interrupting your god given video game chatting time.
:rolleyes:
Wow, you're so sassy. A jaded crusader with liquor in his soul and a keyboard in his claw, jonesing for a chance to slap a mean-rear end burn on a goon.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

Dusseldorf posted:

I made my opinion on "SJW"s clear in my first post of this thread.

Don't try to justify yourself, nobody cares

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

He's doing that thing people do where they get all flustered and pretend to have been TROLLING THE WHOLE TIME by writing some wacky poo poo.

Either that or he's really opposed to people making fun of gamers for something other than sexism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

Lowly posted:

So ... talk about something else? As far as I know, people are free to talk about whatever they like within a given forum as long as it's on topic, and it's the moderators who decide what's on topic, not random forum users. If it's off-topic, the mods will shut it down, in my experience. So if a moderator is letting the discussion happen, then it seems it's on topic within the forum's rules?

It's also possible to have multiple discussions happening simultaneously. If you aren't interested in one discussion, just have another alongside it. If people are interested they'll respond. If they're not, they won't. You can't force people to only talk about the topics you like best.

How is 'Don't like, don't read' a good response to me providing examples of social justice conversations being everywhere on SA? This isn't an issue of me trying to shape discussion, it's about disagreeing with the notion that 'social justice warriors are an imaginary bogeyman on SA'. And drat, do you really think that forum users shouldn't have a say in what happens on SA and that we can't criticize anything if a mod allows it?

quote:

I don't really look in the video game forums too often so maybe it's different there, but most threads I look at, the discussion moves so fast, it doesn't really stay on one topic for that long unless you're checking it every few minutes. I almost never get to respond to topics I'm interested in because I don't check the forums all that regularly. Usually when I do check, I find that four or five topics have been discussed since I last looked. If you feel like a certain discussion is taking up too much forum space, just leave and come back in like a day, the conversation will have moved on.

I really don't know how you saw this as a forums 101 issue instead of a discussion people are having.

e:^I love how in the whole five minutes of that video, not a single person articulated exactly what the speaker did to piss them off. Protests are a bit more than chanting, cursing and using buzzwords.

Impatient Skype JO fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 13, 2014

• Locked thread