Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
One of those Mexican ladies was built like a full plate of mashed potatoes

Although there are many real "SJW"s it's also a super lucrative way to troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ungoal posted:

The internet has been progressively getting worse each year with the extreme social justice types so naturally this term will become more popular along with it. For instance in 2006; blogs, forums (including these), and social media in general didn't perpetuate perceived racism, patriarchy, misogyny, or homophobia in video games or cartoons.

Oh my, you're just really angry about the Anita Sarkeesian videos.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

But the SJWs said something mean about video games.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

TheRedCrumpet posted:

Isn't it common sense that evolution breeds gender based likes and dislikes to some degree? Exposure has something to do with it sure, but I don't think it's purely gender roles that make men enjoy aggressive sports more than women do on average.

No, you're pretty stupid with regards to men biologically being better engineers.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pycckuu posted:

Wait, so you are a guy who a) never studied engineering and b) believes that women should be raised differently so that more of them will "want" to become engineers? I don't necessarily disagree with you, but how did you arrive to hold point of view?

Also, did you know that fields like chemical, biomedical, textile and material science engineering have quite a lot of women in them? As far as I know, the only really male dominated fields are electrical engineering, computer science, and mechanical/aerospace engineering. Hell, even nuclear engineering is full of girls.

My theory is that the 18 year old boys in any of those fields are such twerps that any scientifically inclined woman will choose another field of science.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Angstrom posted:

Yes, some people in the classes you dropped out of said rape jokes, therefore every engineer makes rape jokes.

Just enough of them do.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Haha, sorry about your experiences dude and how mine are logically impossible.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pycckuu posted:

I mean, the discussion started with someone using lack of women in engineering as an example of gender inequality in society. People who actually studied engineering responded that its not a good example and we got into this "societal pressures" discussion.

People who are engineers started the discussion.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Numerical Anxiety is annoyed that keyvin is agreeing with him for the wrong reasons.

Personally, I think that keyvin's idea that more diversity in cultural and social backgrounds on an engineering team leads to a better engineered product is pretty stupid one. I'd be really surprised if that were true. Diversity of cultural background doesn't necessarily lead to a diversity of opinions and expertise in engineering and science.

It's actually very useful to work with people who come from different fields and people who were educated in different countries when working on science/engineering projects. Having an all male team can limit your opinions in solving a problem many times too. Like it or not women quite often have a very different experience in their engineering education than men.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

At the risk of playing with fire:

Isn't this a tacit acknowledgement/agreement with the :biotruths: crowd?

Yes, different cultures and educational experiences are clearly only generated by :biotruths:.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Of course not.

But when you say our cultural experiences are what help make us valuable team members and then in the next breath say there should be no difference between men and women in the same society then what valuable differences and insight are women bringing to engineering in a society where there is no noticeable difference between the genders?

Basically what I'm saying is (and this only really applies when we're talking about strictly men and women), you can't say that women and men aren't different and then say that the differences are what make women valuable team members.

You're pretty loving dense.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PT6A posted:

Darker Hispanic people will still be considered racially separate from white people in all likelihood, but "white Hispanics" are probably going to become just "white" in the near future. Interestingly, black Hispanics are already primarily viewed as "black."

Well the origin of the term "Hispanic" is that people wanted a way to categorize light skinned Cuban people not "white".

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that those groups are insignificant relative to the entire Hispanic population.

There's actually a significant population in Mexico and Brazil of Lebanese decent.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 18, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

Are they a significant part of the migrants to the US, though?

I mean I know there are white as gently caress Hispanics, I know a few myself that are indistinguishable from someone of (eg) German descent until you hear them talk. I'm just not convinced that there's enough of them that you can just magic away Hispanic as being white.

The point is you can't magic hispanic as "white" because the racial police explicitly excluded people from latin american as "white" regardless of skin color. As I said, this was explicitly created (originally) to justify the discrimination of light skinned Cubans. The fact that Pittbull can pass the paperbag test is orthogonal to the current racial politics although there is certainly different treatment between light and dark skinned hispanics.

Edit: this also leads to my theory that Pittbull is actually Billy Corgan a la the Bill Hicks/Alex Jones conspiracy.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 18, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Powerlurker posted:

There's also a pretty significant population of white Hispanics in Spain. I believe they are called "Spaniards".

First of all the Spanish aren't Hispanic by US census definition (or probably popular racial distinction). Secondly I was addressing that there is a (semi-)significant group of white hispanics who are not of European origin.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Earwicker posted:

Does this actually happen? I grew up in an area that was pretty mixed between whites, Asians, and Hispanics and when I was a kid literally every single kid had a piņata at their birthday party regardless of race, no one cared or really even seemed to consider piņatas a particularly Hispanic thing... it was just a thing you did at any birthday party just as much as having a cake

I mean someone has raised a stink about everything, which is what this thread is about. It's also about people who aren't able to filter that out and want their own counter-stink.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I've always assumed the people who get huffy about SJWs are the people who are grumpy they can't use "fag" ironically without someone thinking less of them and everyone else can filter them out.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

dogcrash truther posted:

I think it's pretty hosed up that you used your post as an excuse to write the word "f**"

Pretty much, fatty.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

But you don't get to destroy people's lives that way.

Pass.

Wait, whose lives are being destroyed here?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Impatient Skype JO posted:

I'm really sick of hearing people say that when every other thread on this site has a sexism derail that pops up out of thin air. We can't even put together a gamers.txt or crappy webcomics thread without a bunch of dipshits chatting about sexism nonstop. Like, don't get me wrong, I'm glad people here are relatively sane, but boy does that "gently caress Misogyny 24/7" thing get old. You'd think they would get tired of agreeing with each other.

Sorry people are interrupting your god given video game chatting time.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

:rolleyes:
Wow, you're so sassy. A jaded crusader with liquor in his soul and a keyboard in his claw, jonesing for a chance to slap a mean-rear end burn on a goon.

I made my opinion on "SJW"s clear in my first post of this thread.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Don't try to justify yourself, nobody cares

"Nobody cares"

- a man who just wrote a long winded rant about being interrupted while posting about Bayonetta's thong-vision in video game forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

How is 'Don't like, don't read' a good response to me providing examples of social justice conversations being everywhere on SA? This isn't an issue of me trying to shape discussion, it's about disagreeing with the notion that 'social justice warriors are an imaginary bogeyman on SA'. And drat, do you really think that forum users shouldn't have a say in what happens on SA and that we can't criticize anything if a mod allows it?

I really don't know how you saw this as a forums 101 issue instead of a discussion people are having.

e:^I love how in the whole five minutes of that video, not a single person articulated exactly what the speaker did to piss them off. Protests are a bit more than chanting, cursing and using buzzwords.

Sorry about your eye-rape, duder.

• Locked thread