Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

It's another example of how the internet can create these extremely insular groups of people who instinctively forge an in-group that allows them to indulge their passions but also magnifies their flaws. I don't really keep up on internet activism much but I really wonder how your average tumblr user would fare if you sat them down with some middle-aged salt-of-the-earth person and made them engage in a dialog about whatever cause they were advocating.

I remember people like Tape Speed who tried very hard to talk the talk and walk the walk, but upon further investigation held pretty repugnant beliefs. He and a lot of other people like him try their best to learn all of the incantations and apocrypha that these groups have invented, but in the end it doesn't seem like it changes the world much besides getting a few people on the internet extremely wound up. They don't appear like they're arguing in good faith, I guess.

I can see how college-aged kids can get really wrapped up in this stuff, as it fits in with that kind of atmosphere, but once you're out in the wider world it starts looking further and further removed from reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread