Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I love La Mulana. I've used the walkthrough for about a third of the puzzles, but only after i failed trying it on my own/situations where I didn't even know what I was doing wrong because the puzzle was so cryptic I didn't know it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

SimianNinja posted:

Oh come on, you pretty much have to!
It's certainly not for our sick pleasure or anything... :unsmigghh:

If nothing else, I totally want to see how "finding your way into that place" fits in with this thread's theme of "find it on your own through in game hints." I'm finally to that part of the game and gently caress it, walkthrough time to get into it. The path to enter is one of the most obscure puzzles in any game I'm familiar with.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Kind of disappointed you killed Amphisbaena first, you can use that Ankh Jewel on much more important bosses and just use one of the later Ankh Jewels on snake face there.

Also, any one of three areas could be considered "the second area," so I'll be interested to see where you go next.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

Doublepost bestpost.

Episode 3 Youtube

This next area can also be solved without a guide, it's a touch more complicated but you can brute force a good amount of it as we'll see in the next video. My favorite part is that it starts to build the legend of La Mulana which we haven't seen much so far. Remember we're just here to find our dad, these mysterious ruins are just a backdrop.

LA Mulana has a surprisingly deep plot and it's integrated in surprisingly skillful fashion into the puzzles.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I beat La Mulana today!

Finally. I wanted to make sure I beat the final boss before this LP caught up to me.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I did it! I beat Hell Temple! Looking forward to seeing you take it on, if you dare.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

Xelpud is pretty much the worst thing, there is a reason I turned off the e-mail. When I talk to him at the end of the video I was just trying to guesstimate when the 'COME BACK TO TOWN I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO TELL YOU!' e-mail comes in so I could talk about how horrible he is.

I think that email happens right after you kill Amphisbaena, i.e. you're already past it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Going to enjoy this. Someday my masochist streak will lead me to play this again in hard mode, but until then I'll just have to settle for this.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I totally couldn't figure out how to activate the Ellmac bossfight and so I didn't do it until way later. On the other hand, my super-powered late game Lemeza absolutely obliterated poor Ellmac.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Request: take the ladder up from the Temple of Moonlight. Though you can't do anything in that area, it's good to know it's there.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've always thought that the backside was a great way to deal with a light world-dark world thing in a 2D platformer. I think of the world as sort of a flat canvas behind Lemeza, and he just walks through a hole in the canvas and ends up on the other side, where there's a different canvas. It works really well as a way of conceiving of La Mulana with the exception of one area: just a big flat wall divided into many areas, and if you go to the other side of the wall, there's another set of areas that match up to the front side.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Caltrops are actually really useful. They damage you for one damage, and mercy invincibility is a thing in this game. Stepping on caltrops to avoid powerful attacks is a very viable defensive strategy.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just so we're on the same page, we mean that ladder in the upper-right part of the Temple of Moonlight to the Twin Labyrinth, right?

As if there aren't like a dozen ways to get into that accursed area already.

Agent's already been in it, for that matter! I don't even know why I'm spoilering it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Are there any hints pertaining to the chain whip puzzle? Because that's a dick move even for this game.

Yes, there are. It's oblique and dickish but not totally secret.

It really encourages you to focus. No one wants to fight Pazuzu again.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cassa posted:

Edit: Speaking of throwing Chakrams away, can you just go buy more, or were those two the only ones in all of La Mulana?

You can buy more, and there are even enemies that drop them. However, they're very expensive (not quite on bullet level, but still way more than the other subweapons) and you can only have ten at a time, so it's very much worth your while to not lose them.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I was a bit disappointed that we had Xelpud mailer off here as we missed one of the best emails in the game, when you get the feather. Maybe Hard Mode will show it off.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Neruz posted:

The statues moving around is because they are magic statues; hell one of the statues falls to pieces while you're messing with time. This idea of the Mausoleum being nothing but an empty hall of statues while the backside is where the 'real' Giants are also fits thematically with the rest of the game as in general the frontsides are a glorious facade while the backside of the area reveals a darker truth. The Sun and Moon temples are the exception to this being more about duality instead, though you could make a reasonable argument that the 'facade of man' stands in front of the woman or something.

How does the Twin Labyrinth fit into this?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm not convinced that the bosses themselves are necessarily of the 'children', which are pretty clearly races, not individuals. Remember that that each of the races were destroyed in turn, according to one of the tablets; I think that the bosses are the destroyers of each race.

We'll discuss this more later, but for now, I'll just point out that Sakit was clearly himself a giant.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
That bit at the end before the Gate of Guidance and Illusion track loops is exactly the same.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
You fought Viy without full health? Why?

Also it took me the longest time to figure out to hit that hand with the Earth Spear. I was too terrified of the Eye of Divine Punishment to experiment much.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

unfair posted:

Those little jumping zombies look like Donald Duck.

Aren't they those Chinese vampires? Like Chaotzu from Dragonball.

Also, yeah, are we going to see the secret exit from the Gate of Time?

BTW, proud owner of the Steam Achievement for beating the race in the third floor of the Endless Corridor :whatup:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Baphomet's origins do lie a bit earlier. The French charges against the Knights Templar when they were arrested included that they worshiped an idol with a goat's head named Baphomet. The Baphomet we see today was fleshed out from that in the 17th century, but the concept of goat-headed god with that name dates back to the 14th.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also, the Twin Labyrinth has the last two members of the first race (the snake-people) saved by the third race, not the last members of the second race (who, as giants, would be difficult for the Twin Heroes to save).

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tengames posted:

The 2015 doomsday prediction tablet seems to be a sequal hook for La-mulana 2, which has an "estimated delivery" of December 2015 on its funded kickstarter page.

I disagree, I think that the 2015 prediction is a way of setting the stakes for Lemeza's current struggle.

Mother triggered the previous four apocalypses because those races had failed her. If Lemeza doesn't kill Mother, the 8th children will meet the same fate as the four races that had been wiped out previously.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Turns into "Bats?" I mean, you can find the guy's name out by looking at the map screen. He's Beelzebub, which means he's the Lord of the Flies.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I got that sacred orb. It took about half an hour and was the most frustrating part of the game. (Even that place was more annoying than truly frustrating because I just broke out a walkthrough and refused to go along with its bullshit).

Dimensional Corridor with Treasure Fairy is my favorite place to load up on cash.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

Why the gently caress did I try to include the flail whip puzzle and the mantra puzzle in the same video. This is going to be 50 minutes of me saying 'no really it makes sense if you think about it long enough'

There is absolutely no way I could've solved the mantras without a walkthrough. With the other puzzle, it's annoying but doable, but I started the mantras without a guide but didn't realize you had to do them in numerical order and promptly got stuck even though I figured some of them out.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Seems kind of odd that the mother kills all his children after a set date. You need a certain ammount of tech to actually lob a giant building into space and I doupt any of the races have had time to advance that far.

Isn't the Tower of Ruin the Giants' failed attempt at a spaceship?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Stupid speedrunners, they got to La Mulana an hour ahead of schedule. I tuned in on the time on the schedule and they were in the Gate of Illusion. Will have to wait for the videos after the conference.

Looking forward to the last ep, Agent! Will watch instead of the speedrun.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Aaand that's why you don't post until you've watched the whole video. So how about [REDACTED]? I've only seen it in Deceased Crab's videos years ago, is it as bad as he makes it look?

It's new and improved, the remake changes that place quite a bit.

It's twice the size of a usual area (I believe it's exactly the same number of rooms as the Twin Labyrinth) and it's...not terrible in terms of puzzles (getting in, however, is the trickiest puzzle in the game). It is, however, some of the most intense platforming you'll see.

On the plus side, the reward is much, much better than it was in the original game!

I certainly felt it was worthwhile beating it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
By the way, there's also a horrible glitch in this version's final boss fight that can leave it unwinnable...that I actually did twice.

If you jump in the transition between the water form and the final form, you will never, ever touch the ground and you'll float helplessly in the air until the Mother dispatches you.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Do you still have to go through that place 3 total times? That was the real kicker in the original.

Agent hasn't done it yet, so I'd prefer not to discuss the actual challenges in any specific detail.

Two full times, though it's closer to two and a half if you count the time you have to go back to the big spike pit and do that part again.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hell Temple is relatively straightforward, if incredibly punishing, but Olesh will not be able to find his way into it without a guide. Period. I'm seconding the "guide to get into Hell Temple, playing Hell Temple blind" camp for Olesh.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
A cool challenge just occurred to me for this game that I'm not aware of anyone doing.

Two different players start load save files at Xelpud's house, are given a location somewhere in the ruins, and have to get there without using the Holy Grail, whoever gets to the room faster wins.

It'd challenge you to use all those shortcuts and figure out what the fastest route would be.

Presumably the rooms would be things that would take a while to get to on foot, like "go to the room where you fought Palenque."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

ousire posted:

Just a heads up for anyone who wants to grab this game: It's currently 80% off on steam until the 18th!

This is a very good deal and if you haven't played La Mulana yourself I highly recommend it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

Now how does it accomplish that? I wanna hear how that's possible.

Unless the cheat engine allows Lemeza to levitate, there's not a lot you can do to make Hell Temple significantly easier. Invincibility would be utterly useless, you probably already have all upgrades, infinite items would only excise some minor backtracking to go back and buy more subweapons...what else could you cheat yourself?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

NRVNQSR posted:

Will Agent be talking through the "logic" of how you unlock hell temple, or has that already happened off camera? Because that's actually the part I'm most interested in.

Up to the final bit in the Inferno Cavern, it's all possible to figure out, if obtuse as hell. You've probably already noticed the upside-down door in the Gate of Illusion, for example.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
We've already seen the most amusing part of Hell Temple, so I probably won't stick with the livestream much longer, but I definitely will be watching the whole vod at some point.

Funny you guys mentioned the achievements: I got "This Is La Mulana 1, 2, and 4." Achievement "This is La Mulana 3 is apparently letting the chandelier in Chi You's room kill you, but I had no desire to do that fight over again.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chuu posted:

I think we all know the answer. Then again, even as a viewer, that room was getting old.

Here's a link to how the speedrunners reliability get past that room. I'm guessing this is the trick you're talking about.

I have no idea how hard this is in practice. That speedrunner makes Hell Temple look so easy, it's kind of stunning after seeing how brutal it was during the livestream.

It's every bit as doable as it looks. I had to rely on that trick to beat Hell Temple, and I had to cross that room probably upwards of 20 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I beat Hell Temple, but admittedly that was with a walkthrough open from start to finish. I did beat its boss on the first try, but only out of pure "I am not making it all the way down here again" gumption and by the skin of my teeth.

Olesh is right before the boss. He's the guy that runs 25 miles in a marathon and quits.

• Locked thread