Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I got this game from a sadistically inclined friend of mine, never had enough patience with it to get past the second boss; the combination of clunky movement and fast attacks just frustrated me way too much. That being said, I was always interested in how stupid the puzzles and bosses get, so I'm going to watch this with great interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It kinda irks me that the ankhs don't look like ankhs. At all. I mean, there's a lot of archeological trivia in there and they mess up something this basic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Cromlechs in Japan? I thought they were a Celtic thing?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is actually amazing. I did this area literally by trial and error, never tried to figure out which giant is which. Stuff like this really makes you realize there's more to La Mulana than sadistic design.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the Buer, the guy comes from a 15th century occult grimoire, where he's described as a centaur demon. He's also very pro-democracy, having the title of Hellish President. The whole multi-legged lion thing comes from an 18th century illustration by Luis de Breton, who did a series of pictures of demons that keep being using in various occultism related thingamajigs even today.
What I'm saying is while it's more likely to be a reference to Castlevania, it is entirely possible to run into this guy when you google demons or something.

Also it's a minor detail but maybe you should elaborate a bit on just how much of an annoying rear end in a top hat Xelpud is in this version; I honestly cannot fathom why they included the whole spam thing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 15, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

I think that email happens right after you kill Amphisbaena, i.e. you're already past it.

Yeah, this is why I thought you skipped it on purpose. It's even better if you go into it like I did: fall for it and don't even have the loving grail.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's guaranteed to exist somewhere.
e: Yes, this is a hands up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually I'm fairly sure Buer showed up on a couple of metal album covers.
edit:

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 15, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ptah has, funnily enough, the head of a human. Wadjet was a snake goddess.
edit: Also, there totally was a frog goddess. Her name was Heget.
edit2: The jesus lizard is called basilisk. Eat that, mythology.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 17, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

Two men go in the back side of a lady.

And she speaks a language you can't understand.

La Mulana, ladies and gentlemen.

Oh, it will get better.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SourceElement posted:

I'm looking at the list of scans that Vil sent me and comparing notes to my own and I noticed something I wanted to share.

Ra is the Egyptian God of the Sun, right? Ostensibly the zone is a place to worship Ra, even with a pyramid being built in his honor. So why doesn't he have a statue there? There is no mention of Ra in the one place that it would make sense to see a reference to him!

Just something interesting to think about.

This is actually less puzzling if you read a bit about ancient Egyptian history. There were multiple sun gods that were referred to in different contexts, periods and places (hell, even Ra got re-imagined a couple times, most famously by having fused with Amun - and eventually became one with Horus) - pinpointing an actual Egyptian sun god would be quite a problem and we already got Aten in the boss room. It's similar as with the moon temple - the actual Egyptian god of the moon, Khonsu, was, for one, male, and for two, a bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat. While he did have some ties to fertility, there was nothing particularly female about him.
edit: He did, however, love to play checkers.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 19, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Are there any hints pertaining to the chain whip puzzle? Because that's a dick move even for this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I seem to recall that upwards jumping section in Temple of Moonlight being a total loving nightmare in the original version, but can't remember what was on top of it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Okay, so if this is what it looks like, ie a mandatory boss list, where the hell is Ellmac?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Plus I somehow don't see amphysbainas building anything. Lack of hands and all. But it seems at least some of those are bosses - the snakes, the fish, there's probably going to be a flying boss at some point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there an explanation for why the minotaur guy is using your weapons?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's clearly a suit fashioned from fairy skin.

Anyway, software combos, that's a thing I feel doesn't belong in the game. I know the original was pretty much a love letter to the MSX but they really should've got rid of the mechanic in the remake - they're completely nonsensical and as far as I can tell there's no way to find out the combinations in the game itself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I forgot: Viy is a reference to a story by the Ukrainian writer Nikolai Gogol. It's a monster that can see everything but needs other demons to draw up its eyelids. If i remember correctly, there's a mask and not an eye under them, but I'm surprised how close to the actual story the game's portrayal is. Plus it looks cool as hell.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So that's what the totally-not-boss-list tablet is for! Well played, La Mulana, well played.
I'm honestly glad I stopped playing this at Sakit, this game would drive me crazy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The game really seems to be heading towards the whole "Earth visited by aliens in the distant past resulting in humanity" business. Didn't it feature the Nazca engravings before? UFO conspiracy freaks love those.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You might've meant inconspicous?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We're playing as the smallest giant ever.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And to finish the trivia hour, the headless axemen are Blemmyae, a staple of various medieval maps and bestiaries. If I remember correctly, there are one of the many, many monsters accidentally spawned by Pliny the Elder, who was way too trusting for a naturalist.

edit: Baphomet's origins are also theorized to be political in nature - one explanation for the name is that it's a misheard form of "Mohammed".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh look, multiple cultures have headless people. Who knew?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if you dig deeper, you'll find out "paganism" is pretty modern and a very loose mishmash of various mythologies so it's not like there's need to stigmatize it in particular, it's all been done before.
edit: On second thought we probably don't want to have this particular derail here.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 22, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I remember having trouble with normal bats back when I tried playing this. Those supersonic ones look just stupid.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So you just smack the bird boss around? The tablet is irrelevant then?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He kinda shifted from actually writing stories to developing the world. Unseen Academicals, Snuff and Raising Steam have very little plot; the jokes are still good but there's not much more to them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

This has been a pretty steady shift for a long time now. Frankly I'm fine with it because the Discworld is an interesting place and I want to know more about it.

Not saying they are bad books, just different from he wrote before. Also there's distinct lack of my favorite character.
The world needs more Granny Weatherwax.

edit: VVV Yeah. Not as good in my opinion since they mostly lack the Shakespeare/folktale screwery.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 6, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pharohman777 posted:

Lets Play La-Mulana: Discworld edition.

Well, the ratio of shrine desacration to getting hit by lightning would be similar...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, and here I thought the game reserved the bullshit for puzzles. One thing not evident from the videos is that the platforming controls are floaty as gently caress, doing precision jumping is no joke.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Tiamat gets some amazingly goofy expressions once her eyes start following you around.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

OmegaGoo posted:

On the other hand, unlike most games with an ignorable plot, La-Mulana actually has a really good one.
I kinda hope we still have some twists coming, because what we get so far is completely generic "aliens created mankind" conspiracy theories. Don't get me wrong, the presentation and attention to detail are great, but plot? Unless there are some twists coming, it's pretty boring. Sure, it's fun to figure it out, but from what we've so far there isn't much to it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know, "surprisingly predictable" isn't exactly the best recommendation for platformer controls.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still don't get the vertical wrapping. Horizontal, sure. But whenever I try to guess a vertically wrapped location, Agent proves me wrong within a minute.
Suddenly I'm really glad I gave up at Sakit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oh. Oooooh. The Mother being a donut-based lifeform and the map actively lying to you clicked it for me. I think.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So what's the logic behind yelling random mantras at random fairies?
edit: Aaand that's why you don't post until you've watched the whole video. So how about [REDACTED]? I've only seen it in Deceased Crab's videos years ago, is it as bad as he makes it look?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 26, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Olesh posted:

Hell Temple blind will depend on Agent telling me whether or not it's feasible; I'll trust his judgement on that.
You know what to do, Agent. You know what to do.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the devs just responded to the players' overwhelming desire to see Xelpud flattened... In their own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just out of curiosity - the reward in the remake is the same terrible thing as it was in original, right?

• Locked thread