Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

gunblade posted:

Looks like some kind of self defense key chain attachment, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiremet-Titanium-Ti-Kubotan-Kubaton-Pocket-Keychain-Keyring-Self-Defense-Stick-/261198887019

So yeah, don't gently caress with Buffer.

It's something like that for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

wooger posted:

Also, as several other folks have said; several people have died in MMA. All due to brain injuries as far as I know.

Nine so far, three of those in sanctioned fights, according to Wikipedia. Although I'm fairly sure that list is missing at least one death, a recent fatality in a South African show.

There have also been a number of deaths related to weight cutting, before the fights.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

yessssssssssss

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

wooger posted:

There is no science showing that pride rules are more dangerous than the current unified rules. In fact the round structure (10 mins then 5 mins) probably made it safer.

I can remember more than one occasion where a Pride referee would drag unconscious men back in to the ring to continue receiving their beating. It's a wonder Pride didn't kill anyone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Meat Recital posted:

I can remember more than one occasion where a Pride referee would drag unconscious men back in to the ring to continue receiving their beating. It's a wonder Pride didn't kill anyone.

That's more their corrupt officials. Using a ring was definitely more dangerous though, although they had to appeal to the Takada fans so it is understandable they'd use a ring.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I like how the cage was basically started in MMA as a gimmick and it being 10x better than a ring for grappling was just an afterthought to "raaah CAGE FIGHTERS".

e: mark hunt is having another facebook faith crisis.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 4, 2014

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWPx9L6_jI

The GSP Documentary full version. So far it is quite good.

Also alot of Danaher in it, I love hearing that guy talk.

raingwc fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 4, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

That's more their corrupt officials. Using a ring was definitely more dangerous though, although they had to appeal to the Takada fans so it is understandable they'd use a ring.

Why is the ring more dangerous? Because you can fall out of it?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Count Roland posted:

Why is the ring more dangerous? Because you can fall out of it?

Yep.

At about 7:40 here, for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2PtvvWuPI

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 4, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There was that one Z League show where they forgot to lock the cage and the two dudes spilled out. Major splat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViHxEWBxHS4

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That... wasn't bad at all? I've seen worse ones in Pride, where both fighters fell completely outside the ring. Never seen any injuries from it. If it were a large concern you just add more vertical lines to form a sort of mesh that a body wouldn't pass through.

I personally like the ring. I like the cage too, but I enjoy diversity. A great deal of MMA has become wall fighting, which is fine, but I feel its sometimes a bit too prominent. The elastic nature of the ring allows for some interesting tactics, and its square shape makes movement quite different. Its also a bit more difficult to use the ring to prevent a takedown (yes, I know Fedor did it against Lindland).

A flat, open mat would be neat too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Count Roland posted:

A flat, open mat would be neat too.

Rogan and Serra talked about that on Rogan's podcast. Serra pointed out that an open mat would have lots more people running.

Personally, I prefer the Hipshow Arena and would be curious to see how UFC-level fighters would fare.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think it was rampage vs wanderlei where rampage was slumped against the ropes taking knees with his eyes all glassy. That was kind of disturbing.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Meat Recital posted:

I think it was Thompson Yoshida in Pride where the ref drags the corpse back in just to make sure?

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
If my memory serves me correctly wasnt Yoshida basicly knocked out from being thrown out of the ring..

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Probably, All I can remember is he ate some big knees then died

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

coconono posted:

Rogan and Serra talked about that on Rogan's podcast. Serra pointed out that an open mat would have lots more people running.

As we saw thoroughly demonstrated in the Schaub vs. Cyborg Metamoris match.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Count Roland posted:

The elastic nature of the ring allows for some interesting tactics, and its square shape makes movement quite different.

The Showtime Kick probably never happens in a ring.

Wall walking or pushing off the cage to get up from the bottom also doesn't really happen in a ring.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Xguard86 posted:

I think it was rampage vs wanderlei where rampage was slumped against the ropes taking knees with his eyes all glassy. That was kind of disturbing.

This was the best. Rampage was draped over the ropes unconscious. Here is a gif for your viewing pleasure.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

1st AD posted:

The Showtime Kick probably never happens in a ring.

Wall walking or pushing off the cage to get up from the bottom also doesn't really happen in a ring.

These are not necessarily bad things. Different moves are available by jumping off the turnbuckles (if the rules allow it).

In the ring as well ground battles are usually moved to the center. This is neither good nor bad, just different. Traditional grapplers perhaps get an advantage, since they're used to training on flat surfaces. But traditional strikers get an advantage from the ring structure.

Xguard86 posted:

Unfortunately this kind of poo poo happens in the UFC too. Bigfoot vs Overeem comes to mind, though there was an even worse one recently.

coconono posted:

Depends on how you structure it. You'd want to make the surface area be not much bigger than the octagon is now, I would think. Like in most wrestling arts, you need an "out of bounds" rule. This necessitates extra ref involvement which usually isn't good, but it'd be interesting. For extra fun you could give points to a guy who can push his opponent out of bounds. See sumo wrestlers flock to the sport.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MycroftXXX posted:

This was the best. Rampage was draped over the ropes unconscious. Here is a gif for your viewing pleasure.

While that sequence is one of the best in the sports history, its not what he was thinking of. It might have been Rampage vs Shogun; Rampage was trapped on the turnbuckle for a while there, though it was from body blows.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Count Roland posted:

Unfortunately this kind of poo poo happens in the UFC too. Bigfoot vs Overeem comes to mind, though there was an even worse one recently.

Oh ya that was bad as well, I remember watching it live and getting that churning stomach feeling. Its way creepier though when guys are slumped against the ropes, like a carcass waiting to be butchered.

MycroftXXX posted:

I never noticed how it was that hook to the body that pretty much ended it. JackSlack the MMA writer has a huge hard on for body shots and recently wrote an article on their effectiveness, especially against guys with unbreakable chins. I don't think he mentioned this one but its a great example.

The scene I was thinking about was from their first fight. Rampage is facing Silva and still standing, but pretty much catatonic against the ropes and taking shot after shot. Like, you wish he'd just fall down so it would end.

EDIT: ^^ oh ya maybe it was Shogun.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

DekeThornton posted:

Nine so far, three of those in sanctioned fights, according to Wikipedia. Although I'm fairly sure that list is missing at least one death, a recent fatality in a South African show.
I feel bad for the guy simply listed as "Lee". Lee died.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I dunno, I like the cage but the ability to double leg people out of the ring is pretty cool.

Also just about the only cool thing about it. Maybe also how it was a lot easier for teammates to rush the ring and get in fights.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Xguard86 posted:

The scene I was thinking about was from their first fight. Rampage is facing Silva and still standing, but pretty much catatonic against the ropes and taking shot after shot. Like, you wish he'd just fall down so it would end.
This one?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Rogan wants UFC: Hunger Games Edition.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I don't remember exactly how their conversation went but it sounded like Joe wanted like a stadium sized surface for them to fight on.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The best events for ringouts was that Shine Fights card where they totally hosed up the tension on the ropes and they were way too slack. I think there were like 3 or 4 over the course of the evening.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That is both hilarious an awful.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

really like that knee to the rear end in the bottom left.

Grifter posted:

This one?

There is this strangely clear image in my mind of rampage leaning on the ropes, Ali style but not moving at all. Hes got this really weird glassy/terrified look in his eyes like hes only partially conscious but looking death in the face. Wand or Shogun is just hammering knees but Rampage's legs lock up and hes out but not falling down. I remember it was maybe the only time I wondered if MMA was really too much.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Xguard86 posted:

really like that knee to the rear end in the bottom left.

There is this strangely clear image in my mind of rampage leaning on the ropes, Ali style but not moving at all. Hes got this really weird glassy/terrified look in his eyes like hes only partially conscious but looking death in the face. Wand or Shogun is just hammering knees but Rampage's legs lock up and hes out but not falling down. I remember it was maybe the only time I wondered if MMA was really too much.

I think that is what happens after that gif ends. The Shogun fight ends with Rampage slumped in a corner getting soccer kicked in the face several times over.

Azx
Dec 22, 2004
Hey guys, long time lurker here. Being in the middle east, UFC Fight Night 39 is probably my only chance of watching UFC live! So despite how lovely the main event is, I am hoping to go watch it live. Any tips on how best seats, how to get tickets etc..?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Azx posted:

Hey guys, long time lurker here. Being in the middle east, UFC Fight Night 39 is probably my only chance of watching UFC live! So despite how lovely the main event is, I am hoping to go watch it live. Any tips on how best seats, how to get tickets etc..?

The main event is only lovely in terms of title relevancy. It features one of the greatest fighters of all time albeit past his prime and a big fat guy who usually does something really awesome, really embarrassing, or both.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Try to get tickets off the floor, approx 10-20 rows up (assuming you have stadium seating). You'll end up with a view above the cage and it's pretty much the best you're going to get besides right up beside the fights. Good luck!

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Azx posted:

If you subscribe to the UFC's email newsletter, they will send out a presale code that gives you access to tickets a day early.

Azx
Dec 22, 2004

Sprecherscrow posted:

The main event is only lovely in terms of title relevancy. It features one of the greatest fighters of all time albeit past his prime and a big fat guy who usually does something really awesome, really embarrassing, or both.
OK you're right, but I'd hate to see Big Nog arm-barred again or worse yet.. KOed :(

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Try to get tickets off the floor, approx 10-20 rows up (assuming you have stadium seating). You'll end up with a view above the cage and it's pretty much the best you're going to get besides right up beside the fights. Good luck!

MycroftXXX posted:

If you subscribe to the UFC's email newsletter, they will send out a presale code that gives you access to tickets a day early.
Ah cool, thanks for the tip guys. I have no idea if they started selling tickets yet (I guess they have since the card is next Friday). Will check it out.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Any reason for Wand to be poo poo talking Werdum on twitter? or just ~brasil~?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KidDynamite posted:

Any reason for Wand to be poo poo talking Werdum on twitter? or just ~brasil~?

to get out of fighting Chael.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Azx posted:

If you're looking for cheap seats, DO NOT get seats marked as "partially obstructed view". I got these once, and they were right behind a projector screen. I could see 0% of the actual octagon, it was loving bullshit.

But, you'll have a great time. Get there early to catch all the prelims, and be ready to buy tickets the second they go on sale so you can get the seats you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Count Roland posted:

If you're looking for cheap seats, DO NOT get seats marked as "partially obstructed view". I got these once, and they were right behind a projector screen. I could see 0% of the actual octagon, it was loving bullshit.

lol

• Locked thread