Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lid posted:

Jake Shields was in the octagon for one hour, 55 minutes, and 53 seconds. Name a single highlight.

Being tossed around repeatedly by Akiyama. Single-legging the ref after Ellenberger knocked him stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
ATTN: Gregor Samsa

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/video-in-pre-fight-interview-bellator-116s-rob-emerson-makes-startling-accusation/

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grifter posted:

I had no feelings about Chris Carmozzi before this, but he's now solidly in the cool guy column. It's too bad that he's bad enough to get decisioned by Lorenz Larkin.

He's always been a cool guy who is really tough and has okay fights but won't go anywhere in the division. Like a MW Sam Stout.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

david carmichael posted:

In my head I'm sure I've seen Vitor/Sakuraba but I can't remember a single thing about it.

I do and I wish I didn't.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

red19fire posted:

Was this around the time he was spinning in the chair and awkward as hell on live television for UFC on FOX?

He bellyaches about everyone he's supposed to fight. He's like the UFC's Mayweather, he'd make actual title contenders do bizarre fraternity initiations while handpicking tomato cans from a coma ward if he could. Torpedoing UFC 151, the bentley full of strippers, the eye-raking; it's like he set out to be the most hypocritical fighter possible.

The loving herbest.

It was a Bud Light commercial, in which he was too terrified to say the one line he had assigned, so Dana White had to say it while he stared into the camera like a deer in the headlights, then had his agent call Warner Brothers the next day to discuss acting opportunities.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

fatherdog posted:

That could have interesting implications regarding the relationship between the UFC and OneFC.

Hasn't OneFC done the same thing that RFA and other smaller organizations do by saying they're just a regional organization and giving the blessing to their guys going over the UFC? I haven't heard rumors about their funding the way I have about WSOF, but it makes sense that the UFC and OneFC could have a mutually beneficial relationship.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheRationalRedditor posted:

travis browne just isn't as good as you think!

He's looked like poo poo in every fight where he didn't manage to land some stupid loopy knockout. Remember when he was outstruck and outwrestled by Cheick Kongo? I don't see how anyone thought he had a striking advantage over Werdum except for the very real chance of catching him with some flailing spaz strike, or how anyone thought that he would be very tough to take down. Also, how were they saying he'd never been taken down in the UFC when I remember Bigfoot taking him down twice?

I also figured that Barboza vs Cerrone was going to be Barboza whaling on him until either Cerrone's chin cracked or Barboza got knocked down, and that the latter was a lot more probable. The only fight that really surprised me was Romero vs Tavares, which I thought was going to be a lot more competitive.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

attackmole posted:

Yeah Romero looking like a legitimate good fighter kind of surprised me. I feel like he's gonna be caught be a disciplined striker sometime, but he seems pretty good. I just assumed he was built for hilarity rather than actually being a particularly good fighter, but his gas tank is holding up and he does cool stuff.

I thought Tavares was that striker. he's been really good about controlling distance in the past, but Romero hit him with counter lefts every time he tried coming in and took him down every time he tried to jab and move. He had a Mighty Mouse-esque speed advantage

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
[quote="EvanSchenck" post="428570267"]
It wasn't an unreasonable assumption because nobody had done it before, and I don't think Werdum's takedowns are even close to as touted as his overall game on the ground.
[/quote

Werdum isn't particularly good at takedowns, but he still landed them pretty easily. I'm not really trying to say Browne is a bad fighter because he is coming off first round knockouts of three pretty good fighters, but with heavyweights especially, being good at winning fights isn't necessarily the same as being good at fighting overall.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Novum posted:

I wish I could find the interview again, but he said it more as a way to make the point that KOing someone really fast isn't a proper fight. A fight is a back and forth and that's where the test is. Considering the guy's career, like I said, I'll have to take his word on it.

Browne is a good fighter in the sense that he's always a threat to win a fight, but he's going to look bad in any fight that goes to decision and his metrics are going to be poor, which makes it hard to predict the outcome of his fights.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mewse posted:

Too slow to avoid getting injured, too stupid to stop fighting with a broken rib, a true warrior, the future champion ladies and gentlemen

Too stupid to stop fighting when he should have is what won him the Overeem fight. Let's not take away from the one cool thing Travis Browne has ever done.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

david carmichael posted:

the jump kick against nobody while bigfoot looked at him all confused and concerned and then browne starts crying was pretty freaking cool

That fight was hilarious because it becomes really clear how stupid Browne's Spazz Nodes are against someone who moves as slow as Bigfoot. Someone with athletic ability like Barnett or Overeem might accidentally step into his wildly flailing limbs, but Bigfoot's lumbering was never even disturbed.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Disgusting Coward posted:

I loving know, right? Every morning waking up and realising that you're not one of the good fat fightmen like Hunto or Dos Santos, nor are you one of the likeable entertaining trashweights like Pat Berry or Joey Beltran. No sir, you're four pounds of misfiring motor neurons scraped along the inside of a 230lb Tiki themed turd golem and you're so innately unlikeable that even the notoriously racist PSPMMA will cheer a Brazilian just for hurting you. Every morning the dude probably tries to put the gun in his mouth but accidentally ends up flying crescent kicking it out the window when he gets a fit of The Brownes.

The Brownes

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

outy posted:

I feel quite bad for Travis Browne. He just wasn't performing to his potential, especially after accidentally running into Werdum's leg. You put all that effort into a training camp, then have to suffer such a cruel, capricious twist of fate.
The luckier man won.

Travis Browne has made a career out of people accidentally running into his flailing limbs, so turnabout is fair play.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

lmao

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
And I didn't realize that he's done this before:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/3/5/5476220/ufc-light-heavyweight-champ-jon-jones-twitter-beerf-tyson-griffin-waterboy-mma-news

And after Romero KO'd Derek Brunson, Jones DM'ed "dick sucker" to some guy who commented on it.

So apparently, even worse than being a herb, Jones doesn't appreciate the greatness that is Yoel Romero.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sprecherscrow posted:

His previous two fights were both really cool as well.

I recall his fight with Bigfoot being good but can't remember anything about it.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
DC just hit Bigfoot with a perfect combo that Bigfoot was too slow to see coming. It wasn't a one-punch KO, it was more like Velasquez vs Bigfoot 2.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Skip My Posts posted:

Sure Looked to me like one huge uppercut starched Bigfoot when I watched it just now.

Your problem is that you watched it instead of firing off some half-remembered conjecture like a true pro poster would.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lloyd Boner posted:

That's gonna be a cool loving fight

It's a question of who's dumber and more grapple-happy, and one I can't wait to see answered.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MassRafTer posted:

I'm glad people are seeing Glover is really cool, sad it is only happening in defeat.

While Glover was smashing people PSP said he sucked, and after losing five rounds to Jones PSP decided he was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So you think Silva is a bad style matchup for him? I sort of think that if Silva can weather the storm (which he's never really had to do before) he's got a pretty good chance.

• Locked thread