Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bubba Smith posted:

Assuming Henderson's chin holds up at least as good as it did in the Shogun fight, he'll go the distance with DC. Henderson could win a couple of rounds. I believe.

Henderson probably should have been stopped at least twice in the second Shogun fight though. Whether DC hits harder than Shogun might be debatable but I do think he hits much cleaner/better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

On the flipside (and full disclosure, this was a concert and not the octagon) I've been to shows in seats that were technically "obstructed view" but were right under the jumbotron instead of behind it, so I actually had near-floor seats right behind the performer for way cheaper than what it should have been.
So there's ways it can work out but I wouldn't bank on it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mike Brown is injured and will be replaced by Alex White, an undefeated newcomer from right outside the small Missouri town where I work as a reporter.

Oh god I'm about to become an MMA journalist :gonk:

E: OH poo poo ITS THE RUSTY SULLIVAN KO KID

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 8, 2014

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

1st AD posted:

lmao what boxers is nate diaz outdrawing

Probably a decent number when taking no-name prelim-level guys into account.

How many multimillion dollar boxers is Nate Diaz outdrawing? Absolutely none.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

Man I didn't read anything mma in the past week or two and I feel completely out of the loop.

Not sure how I feel about Barnatt vs Hunt. I like both guys way too much to be excited about that fight.

Luke Barnatt vs. Mark Hunt would be cruel and unusual

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Captain Log posted:

:respek:

Seriously, have you all ever competed in something (sport, game, dick waggering contest) where the opponent is so new, bizarre, bad, convention defying, or strange that you have no idea how to handle them? Browne has built a career off that. It's like fencing someone who suddenly starts swinging the handle end of the epee at you while hooting. What they do isn't necessarily skilled but you sure as gently caress don't know how to handle it.

In the time I've been watching Jon Jones to date I believed this about him for the first third of it, and spent the second third of it trying to believe this about him. Now I am just cold and resigned to the fate of the 205 belt :smith:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

If Jon Jones discredits his opponents and -Atom- is not there to change his mind and defend him, will he still be a herb?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Panama Red posted:

So I'm interested in following UFC although I admittedly know very little, other than what little I've gleamed from watching the odd PRIDE fight back in the 2000s and a handful of UFC fights here and there, plus by playing around with the 2009 UFC video game. I like BJJ since it seems to be more about skill and technique than about sheer strength (correct me if I'm wrong), so Demian Mata and BJ Penn have been some of my favorite guys. I know Mata is ranked #8 in the welterweight division right now and I'm curious as to if he's passed his prime or not. I'd also like to know more about the current crop of guys who I might not be as familiar with. Even the guys I do know I know very little about their personalities and antics; I only knew that Wanderlei Silva used to destroy people, not that he's also an idiot until I saw some of this thread. Kinda curious as to what people think of Anderson Silva since I know there was a time he was completely dominant and everyone loved him but I picked up that he recently got KO'd while showboating or something to that effect.

edit: Also curious if there is a good MMA podcast people recommend, most of those that I've tried are fairly Opie & Anthony-style, and I'd like one that was just news and analysis without a lot of macho sideshow (I suspect that may be a bit much)

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone who makes a post like this: watch Chris Leben vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama, with a couple chili dogs and the cheapest beer you got. Enjoy enlightenment.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Panama Red posted:

Funny that should be brought up because I was just thinking about Big Nog being another favorite of mine and also a Brazilian and it stemming from him being such a soft-spoken and seemingly nice guy (I may be making this up but I remember something awhile back about Big Nog loving hugs? Maybe have been on TUF?). I definitely like guys who seem to genuinely enjoy themselves and don't feel the need to do a lot of macho chest-pounding and mean-mugging. There was a guy whose name escapes me who was very flamboyant and I think came to a weigh-in dressed as Hulk Hogan or something but then ended up losing at the PPV he was set to appear on… I liked him but he may have been cut after that.

I also really like guys who seem to have high fighting IQs and that's where the Maia love came from. (Of course I could be wrong about that and he could be a 'dumb' fighter, but it sounds like his underperformance is mostly due to lack of striking ability…?) I saw my fair share of PRIDE back in the day and was a huge Sakuraba fan precisely because he was the "IQ Wrestler" using smarts over brawn but nevertheless came to the ring dressed as luchadors and Super Mario. I'm less enamored with meatheads who come in and GnP or whatever and win through brute force alone. I'm much more likely to cheer for the guy who uses skill and smarts over just being bigger and stronger than the other guy.

I'll definitely check out Jacare Souza and use YouTube to look up both old fighters I know and the new guys I'm not familiar with. I downloaded the UFC Fans app and just looking at the fighter rankings the Middleweight division looks the most intriguing to me because of Weidman, Silva, Machida and this Jacare guy people keep recommending to me. The name Bisping sounds familiar to me but for some reason it has a negative association, although I can't recall why.

I have TiVo but it looks like everything is on UFC.tv these days. Is there any free UFC on regular TV, like Fight Night that used to be on Spike?

Panama Red posted:

Funny that should be brought up because I was just thinking about Big Nog being another favorite of mine and also a Brazilian and it stemming from him being such a soft-spoken and seemingly nice guy (I may be making this up but I remember something awhile back about Big Nog loving hugs? Maybe have been on TUF?). I definitely like guys who seem to genuinely enjoy themselves and don't feel the need to do a lot of macho chest-pounding and mean-mugging. There was a guy whose name escapes me who was very flamboyant and I think came to a weigh-in dressed as Hulk Hogan or something but then ended up losing at the PPV he was set to appear on… I liked him but he may have been cut after that.

I also really like guys who seem to have high fighting IQs and that's where the Maia love came from. (Of course I could be wrong about that and he could be a 'dumb' fighter, but it sounds like his underperformance is mostly due to lack of striking ability…?) I saw my fair share of PRIDE back in the day and was a huge Sakuraba fan precisely because he was the "IQ Wrestler" using smarts over brawn but nevertheless came to the ring dressed as luchadors and Super Mario. I'm less enamored with meatheads who come in and GnP or whatever and win through brute force alone. I'm much more likely to cheer for the guy who uses skill and smarts over just being bigger and stronger than the other guy.

I'll definitely check out Jacare Souza and use YouTube to look up both old fighters I know and the new guys I'm not familiar with. I downloaded the UFC Fans app and just looking at the fighter rankings the Middleweight division looks the most intriguing to me because of Weidman, Silva, Machida and this Jacare guy people keep recommending to me. The name Bisping sounds familiar to me but for some reason it has a negative association, although I can't recall why.

I have TiVo but it looks like everything is on UFC.tv these days. Is there any free UFC on regular TV, like Fight Night that used to be on Spike?

The guy with the walk-out you're thinking of is Tom Lawlor, who I think is still on the roster but hasn't fought in a while.

The UFC does a good number of free shows on Fox and Fox Sports 1, including this Wednesday (FS1) and this Saturday (FOX main card, FS1/FightPass prelims). Tomorrow's card features Michael. Bisping vs. Tim Kennedy, a US ARMY RANGER who Bisping should casually outpoint. This weekend features Travis Browne vs. Fabricio Werdum in what should be a fun fight. Based on what you've described, I think you'd really like Werdum. He's a fun grappler who's really developed his muay thai recently.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

david carmichael posted:

I have no idea what "fight IQ" means. Sakrabab had an excellent single, and was good enough at wrestling and catch to control a lot of dudes on the ground. He beat some very good grapplers by being much larger than them, and when he fought dudes he couldn't muscle around (who had any clue whatsoever as to what they were doing) he was crushed. Viciously.

Fight IQ is a very real phenomenon that due to its origins in Japanese shoot fighting cannot be articulately described in English. Take for example the smartest gameplanner in the sport's history, Randy Couture, who was known for his immediate ability to size up his opponents and determine how best to push them into a fence

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Who's calling who gay in what language?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Requesting this for Jones' pic in the OP and every OP for as long as he is champ (hopefully never again after this month)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Jones is claiming he was "apparently" hacked, Malki claimed Jones' phone was stolen first and then said it was photoshopped. Translation: it's real and UFC Champion Jon Jones told me on XBox Live he hosed my mom

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Here's the story on bloodyelbow, apparently Jones even posted a selfie during the point in time his phone was allegedly stolen and used by a thief to post hurtful comments on the instagram of a guy who just happened to call him out for ducking Gustafsson on a different social media platform.

What a loving moron.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Lost For Words posted:

I'm not an expert or nothing but that's some drunk posting poo poo

Nah, he didn't check in from a utility pole

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Decades posted:

I was early if anything to hop on the herb hater bandwagon, but for his last few fights I've had a real hard time sticking to it. Before the Gustaffson fight I was all ramped up to watch him lose and savor his delicious tears, but once the bell rings a switch gets flipped and I suddenly involuntarily just wanna see Jon smash a dude. It's this perpetual struggle where I keep tallying more and more reasons to admire him as a fighter and revile him as a person, and I'm hoping that the homophobia stuff pushes him over the line, but in all liklihood he'll invent a new technique in the first minute of the Glover fight that'll absolve him of his last ten slurs.

Rest easy knowing we've seen little to no unorthodox striking since he's won the belt. He still favors the super-fast elbow break from the clinch but I can't think of a time where he's leapfrogged a dude or whatever the gently caress else in a while.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 16, 2014

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Do people really think Jones is the type of narcissist who would sit on a selfie? He posted that poo poo fresh.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Sorry I should have been more clear, I know no one here thinks that's legit but there are people in the BE thread clinging to it as the obvious truth and it's bizarre to see

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I could really give a poo poo if Ronda Rousey and Brendan Schaub are dating or not, but I don't think them going to a friend's wedding together is conclusive evidence of anything. Now let's get back to discussing the important things, like Jon Jones' instagram-posting habits.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The problem is. Mighty Mouse is a pretty big outward nerd so I think he might have happily taken that Xbox sponsorship in exchange for a free Gold subscription and an advance copy of Tomb Raider.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Travis Browne's 90-day medical suspension after this fight makes no mention whatsoever of a broken rib or hand and only notes he broke his nose and got cut over his right eye, so actually Browne wasn't hurt that badly at all and is a bad fighter and a 6'7" baby.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

"All right man I need a tattoo of UFC LHW champ Jon Jones, but he needs to have just recovered from a really bad flu, and he needs to have just realized he needs to take a really bad poo poo but he's in public"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Also Joey Beltran is a lhw, sucks and hasn't had a fun fight in several years. Did Travis Browne steal your prom date or something?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I might contribute so I can laugh at this guy for continuing to think Joey Beltran is better than Travis Browne (they are both bad in their own special ways)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

I don't think DC will squash Hendo. Hendo did get crushed by Vitor but just before that he had back-to-back close rear end decisions against Rashad and Machida. I see it playing out like those fights or perhaps more lopsided like DC/Roy. And we have yet to see anyone land a big shot on DC, and well, AKA did ruin Gray's chin so maybe...

Hendo was within a fly's pube of getting finished in the second Rua fight, and while it's debatable who hits harder between Rua and Cormier, Cormier is the cleaner fighter and will be in a better position to hit Hendo hard (postured up on top of him)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Why are you posting Jeffrey Dean Morgan in the UFC thread?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

http://www.5thround.com/167934/ufc-might-force-jon-jones-to-rematch-alexander-gustafsson-in-swedish-stadium/

It won't happen probably, but seeing Jones' reaction to being booed by 65,000 people would bring a tear to my eye

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I'm glad people are seeing Glover is really cool, sad it is only happening in defeat.

JDS only had nice things to say about Cain immediately after the second and third fights too. Give him a month and a Portuguese interview before you start building him up as the most humble Brazilian.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I don't watch boxing but friends who do have told me that Mexican American boxers are near-universally hated in Mexico and if they want to hype a native American they'll match him against a Mexican American for that reason. Is that actually true, and is there any reason it wouldn't work this way in Mexico?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

BlueArmyMan posted:

For the uninitiated, what is happening in the roidtech vid? Looks like a sloppy takedown/float over something or other, but I know next to nothing of who's in the vid or what was attempted.
It is UFC/Pride stars Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman, both of whom were highly successful, accomplished collegiate wrestlers, having the most gassy, awful and ineffectual wrestling sparring because they are both 900 years old, not on steroids anymore and evidently had been sparring for upwards of four minutes prior to that video being taken.

acejackson42 posted:

I think the whole Chael-Wanderlei thing comes down to this - these are two guys who are actually good friends outside of the camera and are pranking each other relentlessly leading up to their fight, taking nothing seriously along the way, knowing everyone will believe everything as real because of the TV. TV never ever lies or is set up to look fake. Ever.

Meanwhile, one of them gets hurt legitimately in training. Christ knows which one actually, because for all we know the one hurt is the one calling out the other. Both parties act butthurt as hell all the way. Finally the fight happens.

And then they grapple the poo poo out of each other to a five-round split decision. Huzzah. Both make millions upon millions in PPV revenue from crazy Brazilians and racist rednecks expecting to see a murder on behalf of their guy.

Edit: I base this all on Wand apparently being one of the nicest guys on the planet and Chael making it his personal business to be as entertaining as possible outside of the cage. Completely scientific analysis.

You are very wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Rashad did some wrist-grabbing in their fight and got elbowed in the mouth for his trouble.

Yeah part of his success with that is not just his long arms, but the fact that if you try to commit your own hands to grabbing his wrist and doing anything with it he can move in and elbow you while you aren't in a position to defend. I do wonder if anyone could train some bullshit flying armbar from that position, especially after Vitor almost got Jones to tap with an armbar by pulling guard. That would be some Ryo Chonan type of nonsense though and we'll likely never see it in this tragic post-PRIDE era we live in :japan:

• Locked thread