Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

coconono posted:

I'm no expert but a dislocated finger doesn't sound that severe.

Happened to my coworker during kickball season, his pinky was hanging the wrong way. Wasn't Jon Jones injury in the Chael fight just a "dislocated toe"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I usually play devil's advocate against more fighter pay (because most fighters are bad at fighting and i am against giving more money to people who are bad at their jobs) but Nate made some fun points. "We entertain entertainers." I previously thought he had signed a really bad deal, like 15/15k, so 60/60k didn't sound bad when I first read it. But after thinking about it, he does make a couple points. Despite him and Nick being not great athletes with extensive highlight reels, they actually are pretty big draws, especially in this day and age where MMA is really popular, but there aren't many big stars. Nate probably draws as many viewers now as Rampage did a few years back, and Nate isn't making nearly that kind of money. He wants to go crush cans for 200 Gs.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Coincidently I was clearing out old notes on my iPhone yesterday and found a comment I typed after Condit v Diaz. At the time the Forums were crashing often on my phone so I typed it in notes and meant to paste it in the UFC thread, but forgot. I'll just leave it right here:

On 7am Feb 12, 2012, I posted:

"I watched the fight at home with a couple MMA friends.

We all thought Diaz won round 1 and 2, although they were pretty close. Condit was moving straight back and fell into Nick's game several times. Then rounds 3 and 4 were clearly Condit's, with Diaz looking silly and confused. I don't even remember him connecting at all in one of the rounds.  

When five began, it was conceivably even on the scorecards although Carlos most certainly had huge momentum going in his favor.  He seemed to continue to win the striking, despite Diaz picking up the pace. The round was closer than 3 and 4 but still leaning towards Carlos when Diaz took his back and got him down. At that point it looked like Diaz might be able to steal the round, if not submit Condit. He stayed active and looked good on the ground until he went for the armbar and finished the fight getting elbowed by Los.

The judging criteria says the fifth should be awarded to the more successful striker since the round was primarily fought standing, but since the standup was sort of close and Diaz had the single most dominant minute(s) of the fight, I'd like to give him the 5th round.

We are all fans of both guys but were cheering for Diaz for the comedy factor. the overall vibe we had before the decision was sadness because Condit would get the decision. That said it should have been 3-2 condit or 3-2 Diaz. 4-1 Condit doesn't make sense to me."

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Skip My Posts posted:

Nobody is gonna read this.

A drat shame, as it's easily the best post ever made about that fight.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It remains to be seen how good he is when he next faces a HW who retains the memory to not clinch him into the fence with their head down

I think this is exactly what Werdum will do. I'm looking forward to him listening to some elbows.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

beggar posted:

I know a couple of us are going to the Orlando fights this weekend, any interest in a meetup before hand? My wife and I will be driving in from Georgia that day and I'll be ready for a beer or eight after tollroad Hell. Let me know here in a PM or on Twitter @beghead and if there's enough interest, I'll try to find a good place close to Amway Center. First round's on me.

My girl and I would most likely be down. We'll be in Orlando for the weekend staying with my folks so we planned on getting there early to pregame and watch the prelims.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ahahahahahaa

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's time. Hunt vs Nelson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

I don't think anyone wants to see Aldo/Mendes II and it looks like that is going to happen.

Ahem. That's a fight I do want to see. I'd love it both fighters cheat this time.

• Locked thread