Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Castle Caldwell and Beyond

Chapter 1: The Clearing of Castle Caldwell

In the Town of Fenswick
Clifton Caldwell, a local merchant, has recently purchased a small castle, located a few miles outside of town. The castle had not been occupied for some time. Clifton had purchased the castle for a ridiculously high price, since he had always wanted to own one. But when he went to visit his new home, he found that it was overrun by monsters! He was lucky to escape with his life.
He has hired you, a party of adventurers, to rid the castle of its monstrous inhabitants so that he can move in.

Clifton Caldwell

A pudgy man in fine clothing steps atop the bounty postings and shouts out above you.

"I am looking for fine warriors to reclaim my home. I will offer up to ten brave souls one hundred gold a piece, in addition, of course, to all the treasure you may find in my newly purchased home. An abandoned castle just a few miles travel beyond this village. Who among is you brave enough?"

He looks like he could pay more, but it was honest work and you would be sure to find treasure in an abandoned castle. What's the worst that could happen?

------

GM Notes
Welcome to D&D Basic, B9: Castle Caldwell and Beyond. The OOC thread is here.

We can roleplay this initial part by you all interacting with Clifton, and introducing yourselves(as well as linking or posting your sheets in this thread).

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Opportunity. At last! Conrad steps forward, having donned his only fine tabard in case he'd have to impress a potential employer. He fails to look as resplendent as he feels.

"I am Conrad, a swordsman by vocation and trade, and I find this cause to my taste. Reclaiming a castle from monsters is no mean feat. Is there anything else to know about it?"

It only just now occurs to Conrad that he's signed up with up to ten other people sight unseen. He silently prays to whatever deity will listen that his comrades-to-be don't end up being an unsavoury bunch of thugs...

Obligatory first post stats.

pre:
AC: 3    HP: 8    Gold: 10   Alignment: L

STR* 14 +1     Poison/Death Ray:       12
INT  10 +0     Magic Wand:             13
WIS  11 +0     Stone/Paralysis:        14
DEX  8  -1     Dragon Breath:          15
CON  10 +0     Spells / Rods/ Staves:  16
CHA  10 +0     Retainers / Morale:    4/7

Hit Roll Chart (Str)
 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0 -1 -2
 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Hit Roll Chart (Dex)
 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0 -1
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 (21)

xp adjustment: +5% (If used)

Encumbrance: 700cn

Normal Speed:    90
Running Speed:   90
Encounter Speed: 30

Proficiency: If I see it I wield it
Languages: Common and Lawful

Armament:
Normal Sword (1d8, +1 from strength)
Plate Mail (AC 3)
Shield (+1 bonus to AC)
Short Bow (1d6)
Quiver (20 arrows)

Equipment:
Backpack
Large Sack
Lantern
2 Oil Flasks
Tinderbox
Wineskin(full)
12 Iron Spikes
Small Hammer

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Olaf Helmsplitter

One hundred gold? Hardly seems worth it. Then again it would take a man a good time to earn that normally, and 100 gold in hand is better than 100 gold in someone else's hand. And an abandoned castle filled with monsters is bound to have treasures. So more gold there. The initial offer may seem low but granting free reign to loot perks it up.

Olaf dwells on these matters for a bit before finally deciding, well at least it wasn't mining. He steps forward, gives his best approximation of a bow, and proclaims. "Olaf Helmsplitter at your service. Fear not we shall clear this castle out."

Olaf Helmsplitter
Dwarf:
Level 1, XP: 0
+5% XP for PR.

pre:
AC: 2    HP: 7    Gold: 20   Alignment: N

STR* 13 +1     Poison/Death Ray:       08
INT  10 +0     Magic Wand:             09
WIS  11 +0     Stone/Paralysis:        10
DEX  11 +0     Dragon Breath:          13
CON  11 +0     Spells / Rods/ Staves:  12
CHA  13 +1     Retainers / Morale:    5/8

Hit Roll Chart (Str)

Hit Roll Chart (Dex)
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Languages: Common, Neutral, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin, Kobold.

Proficiency
A dwarf may wear any kind of armor, may use any kind of shield, 
and may use any small or medium weapons.  May not use longbows.

Special Skills
- Infravision, 60'.
- Trap, Sliding walls, Sloping corridors, New construction 
  Detection (1-2 on 1d6 finds it).
- Cannot be paralyzed by ghouls.
- Lance Attack
- Set Spear vs Charge

Gear 
Plate Mail 
Normal Sword 
Shield 
Backpack
Large Sack
Lantern
2 Oil Flasks
Tinderbox
Wineskin(full)
12 Iron Spikes
Small Hammer
10gp

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 3, 2014

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Adrian Miros

The gangly robed young man looks at the dwarf and large swordsman hopefully. They certainly seem...strong, or at least in possession of sharp swords that they seem to know how to use. Perfect companions, as far as he can see. The perfect opportunity to use his skills in the real world! So it's with a rare and unexpected confidence that he shuffles forward, and bravely calls out, "Err....hmmm, I, maybe...that's to say...I think, I mean, if you need someone, I maybe could help? I know magic."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Godfrey

Stepping forward, a grim man speaks without humor:

"The gods smile upon even the most simple of tasks done with a brave heart - and this is no simple task! But I go willingly. I am Godfrey. Rest assured that should any volunteer perish during this dangerous journey, I will conduct their souls to the afterlife of their choosing."

pre:
Godfrey, level 1 cleric
AC: 2    HP: 3    Gold: 48.5   Alignment: L
XP: 98

STR  10 +0     Poison/Death Ray:       11
INT  13 +1     Magic Wand:             12
WIS  14 +1     Stone/Paralysis:        14
DEX  10 +0     Dragon Breath:          16
CON  14 +1     Spells / Rods/ Staves:  15 (+1 spells)
CHA  13 +1     Retainers / Morale:    5/8

Languages: Common, Lawful, Dwarven
Skills: Turn Undead, +5% XP for PR.
Encumbrance: 700cn (70lbs), 30'/rnd

Gear:
Plate Mail
Shield
Mace (1d6 dmg, 20 Thac0)
Sling (1d4 dmg, 20 Thac0)
30 stones

Backpack:
4 Small Sacks
50' Rope
12 Iron Spikes
Mirror
Rations(normal)
Wineskin(full)
Holy Symbol & Holy Water Vial
Rod of Health 
  (heal 1d6+1 points of damage
  to any number of creatures, once
  per day.)

Spells: none yet!
pre:
Change log
+50g advance pay, -2g inn
+48.5g, -5g tithe
+51XP
-60g for plate mail
-40g for Rod of Health
+45g from gems, +47xp

ritorix fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 17, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Gale Sara

Talk about fortune; nothing good had been posted to the board for months. Worst case, she'll get some gold and maybe some old rings or something. Best case, she'll get those things and be able to case the joint for later.

"Sure, I'm in. Name's Sara. It's a pleasure." No real names, of course.

Gale Moonstride
Thief: Apprentice
Level 1, XP: 51 (PR 5% Bonus)

Elven thief. An outcast born without the ability to use magic; turned to crime adventuring to find her place in the world.

pre:
AC: 6    HP: 5    Gold: 0   Alignment: C

STR  11 +0     Poison/Death Ray:       13
INT  09 +0     Magic Wand:             14
WIS  10 +0     Stone/Paralysis:        13
DEX* 13 +1     Dragon Breath:          16
CON  14 +1     Spells / Rods/ Staves:  15
CHA  07 -1     Retainers / Morale:    3/6

Hit Roll Chart (Str)

Hit Roll Chart (Dex)
Languages: Common, Chaotic

Proficiency: Leather armor, missile weapons, one-handed weapons; cannot use shields and two-handed weapons

Special Skills
- Open Locks (15%)
- Find Traps (10%)
- Remove Traps (10%)
- Climb Walls (87%)
- Move Silently (20%)
- Hide in Shadows (10%)
- Pick Pockets (20%)
- Hear Noise (1-2)
- Backstabbing

Gear (Encumbrance 300; 120 ft/turn normal speed)
Leather armor (20)
Dagger (3)
Shortbow (25)
Quiver with 20 arrows (5)
Backpack (5)
Flask of oil (2)
Lantern (10)
Pole [wood, 10' long] (1)
Thieves' tools (25)
Unpreserved rations [1 week] (5)
Large sack (2)
Small sack (1)
Tinder box (3)
Torches [6] (1)
Waterskin (1)
50' rope (1)

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 18, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Amelaide Florantha Starfall
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%)

Amelia stepped forth, steeped in shyness, and her voice barely carried. "I'm Ame, and I know my way around a blade, and I've a bow, and my own spellbook, and I could use the coin, and besides it might be fun."

She looked over the others, and wondered at their healthy glows compared to her own fragile form, but it was too late now: she had already volunteered.

QuantumNinja posted:

Level 1, XP: 0 (+5%)

Amelaide Florantha Starfall, Ame for short, was raised a high noble of the Starfall family, the daughter of Count Triswin Starfall and Lady Dotta Starfall, who held a small parcel a land under the Lord Wizard Rainwinds. She grew up with her older brother and younger sister in the safety of the silver-leafed forests of the Lord Wizard's stronghold. She used to spend evening under starlight and mornings in the mistfallen dew, running barefoot through the beautiful woods. As she grew, her father taught her magic, her mother trained her in courtly politics and and manipulation, and Frain the weapon master drilled her in the the classical Elven ways of arms and armor. Frain gave her something else, though: stories about the world, and his time walking through it, weaving for her magical tales about hiding from giants and exploring goblin-filled tombs.

When she came of age, Ame was to be married off to a an elf of station whose marriage would strengthen political connections, but there was unrest in the land: orcs and goblins came to live in the forest, and began to wage war on the stronghold of Lord Wizard Rainwinds. A little over a month ago, these beasts came over the wall, razing the city. Ame fled with her siblings into the silver-leafed forest of their childhoods, now lit with torches and filled with smoke as their ancient home was destroyed. As the orcs pursued them, they got lost from one another, and Ame ended up falling down a waterfall and found herself on a riverbank miles away.

She was left with her trusty bow, a Solstice present from her mother, and one of her father's scale coats, but little else: she managed to grab her spellbook in the chaos, and her brother had given her a stocked backpack and a small pouch of gold as they fled through the forest. Other than that, she has her traveling cloak and a single change of clothes, but that's the least of her trouble: her family are missing---or maybe dead, and Ame cannot return home.

She's been wandering for the last month, learning about the world beyond the forest and looking for jobs or opportunities to amass the money necessary to hire retainers to help find her family: she can't do it alone, and it's hard to find someone to trust. But Frain's stories always ended in gold and riches, so when Ame found the job posting for adventurers with payment, she was certain it would be a first step.

pre:
AC: 7    HP: 2    Gold: 10   Alignment: N

STR* 13 +1     Poison/Death Ray:       12
INT* 11 +0     Magic Wand:             13
WIS  11 +0     Stone/Paralysis:        13
DEX  11 +0     Dragon Breath:          15
CON  10 +0     Spells / Rods/ Staves:  15
CHA  15 +1     Retainers / Morale:    5/8

Hit Roll Chart (Str)

Hit Roll Chart (Dex)

Languages: Common, Neutral, Elf, Gnoll, Hobgoblin, Orc.

Proficiency
An elf may wear any kind of armor, may use any kind of shield, and may use any kind of weapon.

Special Skills
- Infravision, 60'.
- Secret Door Detection (1-2 on 1d6 finds it).
- Cannot be paralyzed by ghouls.
- Spells!

Spells (1 / First)
- Shield
- Read Magic

pre:
Item                        Cost    Enc (cn)
Scale Mail                    30         300
Short Bow                     25          20 
Quiver                         5         (5)
- 20 Arrows                 ----    (.5)  10
Backpack                     (20)         20 
- 2 Large Sacks               (4)   (5)   10
- 6 Torches                 (1.2)   (20) 120
- 1 Oil Flask                 (2)         10
- Tinderbox                   (3)          5 
- 10' Pole                    (1)        100
- Rations                       
- - (5, unpreserved)          (5)        200
- Waterskin (full)            (1)
- [x] full                                30

Total                          60        825
Ability Scores: 6#3d6 8 11 11 11 10 15
Ability Scores: 3d6 13
Health: 1d6 2
Money: 3d6 7

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jalen

Monsters taken over a mansion? Sounds like a place of great magic. A perfect opportunity to find scrolls, or even tomes of arcane knowledge. Such things cannot be passed up, even in the potential. The 100 gold, that is a nice bonus. The real treasure, however, will be what is scavenged. He has not been inside yet, how will he know what is missing? The veiled man presents himself to the small group already formed.

"Jalen. I will aid."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Clifton Caldwell

Conroy
Caldwell looks to you as you spring forward with enthusiasm. "Excellent, the first of many warriors who will be so brave to reclaim my home, I hope. Sir alas I can only show you the way, for I was not but maybe forty or fifty feet into my new home when I was beset by foul creatures that nearly claimed my life. I can give you this depiction of the castle that I received with the title and deed."

He searches through his possessions and produces a scrawl with an outline of his castle. "Here is my newly purchased home. Once the full band is assembled we will make arrangements to depart at dawn on the morrow." he says before an attendant takes your name and hands you the scrawl. "Feel free to keep it, the deed came in triplicate."

---

Olaf Helmsplitter
"Ah, a brave Dwarven warrior. Surely you've seen many battles?" Clifton says to you as he has his attendant take your name.

---

Adrian Miros
"I have never had a knack for magical abilities, though my mother did so desire. Your skills will probably serve you well in the clearing of my home, skilled mage." Caldwell mentions as his attendant takes your name.

---

Godfrey
"Yes, a noble cleric. A righteous warrior. I pray to the Gods that no souls are lost on my behalf, but should they... I do feel better with your being there." Clifton says as you step forward presenting yourself. An attendant takes your name shortly thereafter.

---

Gale Moonstride Sara
Clifton gives you a nervous glance, but considers his current predicament. Swindled into purchasing a monster infested castle, he needs all the help he can get to claim his home and not suffer a total loss.

"You look to be skilled. The more expertise this excursion has the sooner I can take my home and you all can take your rewards." He has an attendant take your name.

---

Amelaide Lorantha Starfall
Caldwell looks down at you with an amused grin on his face. "You're not the typical adventurer, I imagine. BUT I've always been one to judge on merit over appearance. I've not had much chance to interact with Elves. I'm glad to have you aboard."

---

Jalen
"A quiet man, with an inquisitive gaze. And your aid, I will accept! At this rate, my home will be reclaimed in no time." he says laughing heartily as an attendant takes your name.

-----

GM Notes
I'll be skipping to castle in the morning.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Roger

A tall, proud looking warrior arrives slightly later then the others.

"Hail, friends! Forgive my tardiness; I was assisting many young, would-be warriors with their lessons. I am Roger, of the western mercenary bands. It would be my honor to assist in reclaiming this home, not for the gold, but for the glory. An abandoned castle beset and filled with all sorts of evil? True adventure!"

pre:
AC: 0    HP: 9   Alignment: L    EP: 1    GP: 2    PP: 4
XP: 98 

STR* 14 +1     Poison/Death Ray:       12
INT  10 +0     Magic Wand:             13
WIS  8  -1     Stone/Paralysis:        14
DEX  17 +2     Dragon Breath:          15
CON  15 +1     Spells / Rods/ Staves:  16
CHA  10 +0     Retainers / Morale:    4/7

Hit Roll Chart (Str)

Hit Roll Chart (Dex)
 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1  0 -1 -2 -3
 8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Bow Range
Short (+1)   Medium (0)   Long (-1)
70           140          210

XP adjustment: +5%

Encumbrance: 707cn

Proficiency: EVERYTHING
Languages: Common, Lawful

Equipment:
Normal Sword 1d8+1
Long Bow 1d6
* 40 arrows
* 10 silver tipped arrows
Plate Armor
Shield

Backpack (7/400)
2 Large Sacks (0/600|0/600)
6 Torches
Oil Flask
Tinderbox
10' Pole
Rations (normal)
50' Rope
Waterskin (full)
Potion of Cure Light Wounds

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 10, 2014

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

Wyndham stumbles out of the tavern, having forgotten what time it was. How could he have possibly forgotten? Adventure! Excitement! It is what he had been waiting for all along, and when the opportunity came, he had almost forgotten about it in favour of another tankard of mead. He pulls his backpack on as he runs to the bounty postings behind the human warrior - who looks both tall and proud - and is relieved to see he is not the smallest of the assembled adventurers.

"Wyndham Thornpicker at your service, sirs," he hiccups. "Oh, and madams." He blushes and gestures at Clifton. "Please, carry on, I'll catch up!"

Wyndham Thornpicker
Halfling: Veteran

Wyndham had lived in his idyllic village for his whole life. It was a peaceful, serene, friendly place, where any conflict could be solved with a flagon of ale and a sing-a-long, the weather was always bright and clear, and everybody got along.

It was boring.

He may not be the sharpest arrow in the quiver, and his small stature means he hasn't the strength of a human warrior, the pickpocketing skills he picked up trying to bring some excitement into his sleepy town have served him well, as does his desire to do something new and exciting. And if it's dangerous, all the better...

pre:
AC: 5    HP: 2    Gold: 18   Alignment: C

STR  7 -1    Poison/Death Ray:       8
INT  7 +0    Magic Wand:             9
WIS  9 +0    Stone/Paralysis:        10
DEX* 17 +2   Dragon Breath:          13
CON  11 +0   Spells / Rods/ Staves:  12
CHA  11 +0   Retainers / Morale:     4/7

Hit Roll Chart (Str)
 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 21

Hit Roll Chart (Dex)
 7  8  9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Encumbrance: 300cn

Normal Speed:    120
Running Speed:   120
Encounter Speed: 40

Languages: Common, Chaotic

Special Abilities
- Difficult to spot outside (10% of being detected) and in dungeons (one-third chance, roll of 1 or 2 on 1d6)
- Bonus of +1 on hit rolls with missile weapons
- Bonus of -2 on Armor Class when attacked by creatures larger than man-sized 
- +5% XP for Dexterity

Gear (32)
Leather Armour (20)
Sling with 30 Sling stones(2)
Shield (10)
Pack B
- Backpack
- 2 Large Sacks
- 6 Torches
- 1 Oil Flask
- Tinderbox
- 10' Pole
- Rations(normal)
- 50' Rope
- Waterskin(full)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson

The clanking of armour and kit fills the air for a good few seconds before the kitted-up dwarf comes into view. "Hello, hello, wait for me! Whew." He comes to a stop in front of Caldwell and his staff.

"Hello, Mr. Caldwell. It's me, Huw. Sorry I'm late. The goodbyes went on a bit longer than they should have. Thought I'd try my hand at this adventuring lark. We'll have that castle cleaned out for you in no time, don't you worry. So I've got two questions; first, have you got a map of the property-"

The map is passed into Huw's hands. He tries to hide his disappointment at the lack of details.

"Ah, brilliant. I suggest we start at the slope. Second question: what can you remember about your visit? Can you tell us anything about the monsters that attacked you, or the room you were in?"

He turns to the other adventurers. "Hello, everyone. Name's Huw Rhysson. Come to offer my services to old Clifton here. The more the merrier, that's what you adventurers always say, hmm?"

-----

Huw Rhysson, Neutral Dwarven Veteran
pre:
AC: 4    HP: 6    Gold: 11   Alignment: N

STR* 15 +1     Poison/Death Ray:        8
INT   9 +0     Magic Wand:              9
WIS  10 +0     Stone/Paralysis:        10
DEX  13 +1     Dragon Breath:          13
CON  13 +1     Spells / Rods/ Staves:  12
CHA  15 +1     Retainers / Morale:    5/8

Languages: Common, Neutral, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin, Kobold
Skills: Infravision, Detection
+5% XP for PR.

Equipment:
Hand Axe         (1d6)     4
Short Sword      (1d6)     7
Chain Mail                40
Shield                    10
Pack B (w/ Iron Rations)  33
  Backpack               5
  2 Large Sacks          4
  6 Torches              1
  1 Oil Flask            2
  Tinderbox              3
  10' Pole               1
  Rations(Iron)         15
  50' Rope               1
  Waterskin(full)        1
Mirror                     5
Edited back to original status.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 3, 2014

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Clifton Caldwell

The pudgy man is delighted to see so many prospective heroes stepping forward to reclaim his home. After a band of adventurers is assembled he steps down and makes an announcement.

"Valiant warriors, apprentices, scholars and adventurers. I thank you for offering your services. As a token of good faith, please accept half of the payment up front."

You all receive 50gp.

"Rest well this night, for on the morning... you reclaim my home!"

You get settled in for the night at various places of rest, be it the local temple or the inn. You are given a chance to get acquainted with the others, but for the most part all you needed to do was make sure you were ready for travel and adventure.

Anyone who hasn't introduced themselves and plans to play, just join us at the castle. If you want to flex some of your gold on potions or other items prior to leaving town, just let me know and we'll visit the shop.

---

Castle Caldwell
At dawn you gather at the gates of Fenswick and are greeted by the rotund merchant and his personal guard. "Good morning brave ones, let us be off to adventure!"

Exiting from Fenswick, you leisurely cross over the countryside until you can see the keep cresting over the horizon. It is not long thereafter that you find yourselves coming upon a large stone castle only in slight disrepair. There are windows all along the first level of the castle, but they are far too narrow and too high for you to climb through, or for anything to look out at you. The main entrance to the castle was a set of heavy and elaborately carved oak doors.

"We have arrived. From here adventurer's, unless you have any further questions, I will take my leave and await news of your success back in Fenswick."

The castle appeared to be about 180-200' across, definitely over 200' long and at least 30' tall at its lowest point.

You all stand at the mouth of the slope that leads up to the castle.

What do you do?

---

GM Notes
Seeing as this is PbP, I will need no Caller, but I am looking for someone willing to be the mapper. I will provide all the pieces of the map necessary to assemble the dungeon, and can even assemble it for you as you go along, but one(or more persons) will be in the know of the actual castle layout should you need to flee or make notes about objects or rooms.

So who wants to be Mapper?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
+50 gp, -2 for a night at the inn, now on 59gp.

Huw spent the night at the local inn, chatting with the other adventurers who were there, but keeping a clear head for tomorrow's exertions.

The next day, at the foot of the foreboding castle, Huw says "Mr. Caldwell, just one question; may we have the keys, to unlock the door?" And the the party he says "I wonder if this place has a back door or somesuch. Does anyone think it'd be worth our time to walk around the exterior of the castle, see what we can see?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Huw Rhysson posted:

"Ah, brilliant. I suggest we start at the slope. Second question: what can you remember about your visit? Can you tell us anything about the monsters that attacked you, or the room you were in?"

"Mr. Caldwell, just one question; may we have the keys, to unlock the door?"

"Ah, yes dear warrior. I neglected to answer your question before! Unfortunately I hadn't made it far before goblins ran me out of the castle, but a cloaked figure awaited at the end of the only corridor I personally was able to explore. However, the castle should be fully unlocked. I'll need to see to it that a locksmith comes to this place immediately once the castle is cleared."

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham Thornpicker
+50 gp, -2 for a night at the inn, now on 66gp.

Upon the end of Caldwell's rallying speech Wyndham eagerly returned to the inn but was refused any further mead, so instead opted - sensibly - to rest up before the adventure's beginning. This is what he had been waiting for, and he was going to make the most of it.

The following morning the young halfling traipses towards the gates of the pudgy man's afflicted property. "Goblins? Pah. That doesn't seem so terrible," he says. "And that cloaked figure was probably just two of the little blighters stood on top of each other. My friends and I used to pull that little deception all the time, sneak into the human taverns and such."

He hasn't much time for Caldwell besides his promise of payment, but the dwarf seems worthy of some respect. "I supposed it would not hurt to survey the castle beforehand," he agrees. "Although I don't think the goblins are going to be very civil whichever way we come in."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad
+50-2=58gp. Also do we gain 50xp+5% for this gold? :v:

"Mysterious cloaked figures? It seems as if there is more to this castle than a monster clearing. Not that this alone would not a perfectly valorous task for a band of warriors, of course, but could there be more to this?

At least the lack of locks won't affect us. I have brought with me plenty of spikes. Hope you don't mind a little wood damage in an emergency, master Caldwell."

I'll be a mapper, sure. No idea if this will work. We could also use some easy way of tracking marching order.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Castle Caldwell
Wyndham Thornpicker
"You may 'Pah!'now, but we'll see how well you fare!" Clifton says with a chuckle.

Conrad
"Just take care not to destroy the place and all will be well." Caldwell responds.

---

"Adventurers, I take my leave of you now. I have important matter to attend to in the town, but I will patiently await your return. I bid thee farewell."

With that Caldwell and his attendant leave you all at the entrance of the castle.

---

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'll be a mapper, sure. No idea if this will work. We could also use some easy way of tracking marching order.

I'll prompt you with segments of the whole as the party explores. If you've explored a section, you have that piece permanently added to your map. The whole party will be able to see the map, but unless Conrad explains the map to the other players, then he is the only character with knowledge of the layout of the castle.

For marching order: I feel you should all decide among yourselves, but I suggest three tiers:
  • Thief, Fighter, Dwarf
  • Magic-User, Dwarf, Cleric
  • Halfling, Magic-User, Elf, Fighter

For XP, I'll award you whenever you rest with a lump amount and then you can apply your percentage bonuses.

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 1, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"I'll take one of the lead positions. I'm fairly useless with a bow I'm afraid, old childhood injury, so I would be of less use at the back."

He begins packing his nice red tabard away and brings out more segments of armour, quickly and expertly tying and locking them in place.

"Lady... Sara, was it? You seem to be of a, well, scoutly persuasion. If you could stay close to assist in detecting danger, it would be appreciated. Simply duck behind us in case of threats. After all..."

"...We're more equipped for it."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson

"I haven't got any bows or crossbows or slings or what-have-you, so I'll join Conrad on point." Huw gets his shield and axe ready. "Now, we gonna take a stroll around the place first, or just get right to it?"

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

Wyndham looked sadly at the sling looped around his belt. "I suppose that means I shall head up the back of our little team," he said with a sigh. "Just make sure you save some of the good loot for us!"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
You don't have to go with the proposed Marching Order, I just put people who had ranged capabilities at the back. That doesn't mean you'll be at the back of the fight necessarily. What if you get surrounded!?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Gale

"Of course, Sir Conrad." Internally, she's a little pissed; it'll be hard to do more unscrupulous scouting with the knights breathing down her neck.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jalen
30GP + 50GP - 30GP (bought 10 daggers) - 2GP (inn rent) = 28GP

"Now, now, mysterious cloaked figures could be nothing. After all, one could describe me as a mysterious cloaked figure." Jalen chuckled dryly at his own joke. "Either way, I feel that I can serve the group best in the back. I am perceptive, and can keep an eye on our rear, ensure nothing will sneak up."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

+50 gp, then -2 for inn

Having spent a the night checking his gear and ensuring everything was prepared, Roger looked...disappointed with the greetings in the morning.

"Very well. I shall take rear guard, I suspect. And not join you in glorious arms in the front. If you think that is the best use of my abilities. Well, either way, it does not surprise me there is a wizard amongst this rabble. They can be attracted to such evil activities, you know. Ah, present company excluded. Of course."

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

ProfessorCirno posted:

"...it does not surprise me there is a wizard amongst this rabble. They can be attracted to such evil activities, you know. Ah, present company excluded. Of course."

Something about what... Rogar? Regdar? said seemed off, but Conrad can't quite put his finger on it.

"I'm sure we will rotate duties as injuries are accrued, Sir... Warrior."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Adrian Miros

Adrian, happy to be in the company of people larger, stronger, and braver than he is, happily settles into the middle of the party, knowing that that way, should they be attacked, he won't be in too much danger. He does, however, look at Roger dubiously, half sure he was just insulted. "If...if enemies ambush us and attack from behind, you'll be able to defend us. Sometimes being in the, um, rear guard, is more prestigious than being in front."

+50 gp -2 for a night at the inn, 68gp. Also, are you, as per the Rules Cyclopedia, letting magic users use weapons other than a dagger? If so, can I buy a sling?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Godfrey

After spending the night in prayer, Godfrey was prepared to meet his fate. Would the gods favor him, reward him with their divine blessing? Or would he fail in the coming trials like so many others? It was all in their hands.

Though brave, Godfrey's days as a militia soldier were behind him. He took a place behind the warriors. His support was mostly spiritual, but he could still hurl a sling stone with precision.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Olaf Helmsplitter
+50gp -2 for a night at the inn, gives 68 gp

Olaf grudgingly spares a few coins for a night at the inn, but avoids spending any more on any provisions. He is so concerned over such matters that the other dwarf takes the lead. And since the front row was getting so crowded he humbly takes the middle. Though he too is not exactly a ranged combatant.

"Well lets get on with it, nothing to do but to start with the big front door."

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 3, 2014

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Clearing of Castle Caldwell
Group
Arranging yourselves in an order conducive to the exploration of the castle, you proceed towards the keep. The heavy oak doors are unlocked and swing open easily.

You enter into a large hallway. About 15 feet into the castle on either side of the hall are sturdy wooden doors. The hallway extends about 40 feet where it splits into diverging paths going west and east. Another solid wooden door is at the end of the hall, and you can make out the beginnings of two more. One on either side, just barely peeking out from behind their corners.

What do you do?

Conrad
You withdraw the parchment that identifies Caldwell's castle and quickly make notes about your new environment.

GM Notes

Epicurius posted:

Adrian Miros
+50 gp -2 for a night at the inn, 68gp. Also, are you, as per the Rules Cyclopedia, letting magic users use weapons other than a dagger? If so, can I buy a sling?

I am fine with this. Alouicious, should you feel like changing your purchases around that is fine as well.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%), GP: 10 + 60 - 3 (lodgings) = 68

Ame spent her evening in the inn where she saw many of the other volunteers, but spent much of the night with her nose buried in The Life And Times of Lord Wizard Peregrine. She spent the night alone, but bubbly, and drank more than a glass of wine, stumbling to bed in a melancholy stupor. The next morning, though, she was prompt and bathed and outfitted in elven-made mail, if just a little inattentive. As the great doors swung open, she shuffled in with the last of the group, hoping her armor and the last of the rich wine would see her through the day. Her voice carries, high-pitched and unsure, as she sees the great entry hall. "So, which way?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"I vote we head left. Left seems more sinister. Best we defeat the foes before they fall on us unawares."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Suddenly, a group of 6 goblins comes from the eastern hall walking and grumbling to one another and then they spot you, as you also spot them. You meet eyes and the goblins give you all a confused and startled look before attacking.

Someone give me a check of 1d6. I'll take the first check.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Surprise? 1d6 1

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

---

You do not have time to react before the goblins set their crude blades and arrows upon you.

---

Conrad
Two of the ugly creatures come up on either side of you and swing their rusted looking blades futilely at you.

---

Huw
A whole squad of goblins quickly approaches. Two gather around Conrad and another goes for Sara. Unfortunately for you, the one that approaches you is quick and nimbly manages to slink its blade into your side.

Take 2 points of damage.

---

Gale
You are caught off guard as you are rushed by the a squad of wandering goblins. One manages to tumble towards your feet and slice at your legs, breaking through your defenses.

Take 2 points of damage.

---

Godfrey
An arrow from behind the sudden melee in front of you comes flying overhead, piercing into your armor and consequently, your flesh.

Take 2 points of damage.

---

Adrian
An arrow comes flying from overhead, but is deflected mid-air in the unexpected combat. The Arrow goes clattering to the ground nearby.

---

Everyone roll 1d6 and take your turns.

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 2, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"Stand like a rock", father had said, "and let them crash around you like the wave."

Well, the wave was spilling over now and hurting people. Thanks, dad.

A 1d6 roll: 1d6 2
If this is Individual Initiative, I have an extra -1 from my Dexterity. Because I am totally great.

Conrad slices at the closest Goblin to his left. Or any Goblin left once everyone else goes first.
Attack!: 1d20 16
Here's how this works, for the newcomers: I look at my Melee combat chart and find 16 in the top row since that's what I rolled. This determines that I will hit a creature of AC 2 or above. Since this is a Goblin I assume I hit.

Damage: 1d8+1 7.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 2, 2014

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jalen

Goblins? Not worth using a spell on. Larger foes perhaps, but nothing of this stature.

1d6 roll = 1 If this is Individual Initiative, I get a +1 to it from my Dexterity, because I'm totally great.

Drawing one of his newly bought daggers, he tosses it past Godfrey and Gale, targeting the goblin to the left of Gale. If it's still alive, at least, if not by the time I go then it's gettin tossed at whoever.

A 1d20+1 roll (thanks dex) = 18

Given my Ranged Combat chart (I hit at AC 0), I'mma say that's a hit.

A 1d4 roll for damage. = 4

Max damage. :toot:

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Gale
HP 3/5 | AC 6

Gale staggers backwards from the goblin's strike, cursing as she struggles to keep her footing.

Init: 1d6 4 Total of 5 from Dex!

She draws her dagger and brings it down, trying to stab the goblin in its back.

Attack: 1d20 9 I hit AC 10 :saddowns:

Damage: 1d4 4

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

As the others hold back the monsters, Roger draws his bow and lets loose an arrow into one of the foul creatures; it may not yet be dead, but it's certainly injured!

Initiative (+2 if blah blah, though I THINK bows automatically go first?): 1d6 4
Ranged Attack: 1d20 16
( Hit AC 1 )
Damage: 1d6 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Adrian Miros

Goblins! Dangerous enough individually, they have a nasty tendency to travel in packs. Much like adventurers, for that matter. At any rate, a horde of goblins can be dangerous. Adrian has a sling, but he has something more. He's not, really, all that skilled in magic, but he does have a spell that could work here. Adrian has studied a spell that can put creatures to sleep...not that he needed it as a student. Indeed, he could have used a spell to stay awake. But might come in handy here...it would incapacitate the enemy and let them be dealt with at the party's leisure. And, should they need one alive to interrogate, it would let them capture a goblin as well. and while part of him regrets using the one spell he knows he can cast so early, he decides it's better to cast it now and stay alive rather than save it and get killed by goblins.

So, calling on the one spell he has memorized, he begins to chant the words of magic as he holds his hands out over the goblins, calling on them to rest. It'll be the sling for him until he's able to memorize more spells.

Initiative: 1d6 3

Casting Sleep

• Locked thread