Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson HP: 4/6 AC: 4

Huw lets out a scream as the goblin's blade pierces his side, and swung his axe...

1d6 roll: 1d6 1 If initiative, I have +1 Dex. Or is this surprise?
Attack: 1d20 3 Um, +1 from STR means it's really a 4? :ohdear:

... but the nimble goblin dodges the blow easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham
HP 2 | AC 5

The halfling hurriedly unravelled the sling from his belt, hands shaking with excitement. "Well, I was going to suggest we head west," he smiles. "But this is much more fun!"

Initiative 1d6 (+2 for dexterity son) 1
Missile Attack 1d20 (+1 for being a halfling, +2 dex) 23
Hits AC...anything?

Wyndham whips a stone that sails over the crowd and slams into a goblin's gruesome visage for...

Damage 1d4 4 :smuggo:

-1 sling stone from inventory

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Godfrey HP 1/3

As his blood pools on the ground, Godfrey's fervor increases. He hadn't expected the gods to call him home quite so quickly. Glory be!

"Glory to the first man to die!"

Grimacing in pain, he lets a stone fly true, dealing some righteous wrath to a goblin.

initiative: 1d6 6
sling stone: 1d20 16 1d4 3
Hit AC4 for 3 damage.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Amelaide Florantha Starfall
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%), GP: 10 + 60 - 3 (lodgings) = 68

Ame let out a small yelp when the goblins rounded the corner, which is probably why everyone was too busy looking at her to guard against the first round of blows. Oh, jeeze, this was bad!

Initiative: 1d6 5

But her bow was handy, and so she peeked over a few shoulders and let loose an arrow, aiming for the closest goblin's eye.

Bow Attack: 1d20 6

The arrow went wide, though, burying itself firmly into the wall of the passage, and she let out an exasperated sound as the monsters closed in on their group and the sounds of battle broke out.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Godfrey
init.: 6
Taking serious damage, you take your sling and return the favor. A stone flies right into the face of the Goblin that had stabbed Gale and you watch the wretched creature fall backwards in death.

Roger
init.: 6
With individual initiative, Missile combat doesn't occur first necessarily(at least that's my understanding of the rules :v: , feel free to correct), but I'm also thinking about doing away with individual initiative and just taking party rolls.
A battle breaking out, you draw your long bow and send an arrow flying at a goblin. It lands in its foot causing it to yelp out in pain.

Amelaide
init.: 5
You see your arrow embed itself in a crack in the stone walls flying past ally and foe.

Gale
init.: 5
Recovering from your stagger, you go to cut the goblin who had injured you only to see it catch a stone right in the center of its face. The damage was lethal.

Adrian
init.: 3
As the sudden battle picks up in intensity and you see your allies become injured, you decide to put a halt to this with a spell. You cast Sleep and all the red-eyed goblins left alive in the hall slump to the ground.

---

The battle comes to an end, and the Castle remains silent cept' for the snores of Goblins slumped into misshapen piles on the ground in front of you. One not so lucky with a stone embedded in its face.

What do you do?

---

GM Notes
I followed the course of combat by initiative and did the rolling for any tied scores to determine order. After Adrian cast's sleep the combat ends and the creatures drift into magical sleep for an unknown duration of time(that I have rolled for)

Those of you whose actions were halted by Sleep. Be sure to update your inventory to reflect that you did not lose ammo!

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 2, 2014

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

Disappointed, Wyndham returns his unused sling to his belt. "I suppose that was quite impressive, magician. Give someone else a chance next time though, eh?" He leans through the group and prods one of the dozing goblins. "I vote we carry on to the east. Perhaps this motley crew were guarding something?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Things about this hallway, visible without deep inspection:
  • The goblins have tiny coin pouches
  • The hall narrows to be about 10 feet wide when it splits, you'll need a new party marching order
  • Light from the windows high above, leaves the place mostly illuminated, though there are pockets of deep shadow.
  • There are doors on either side of you, and three visible where the hall splits, two on the sides and one in the center.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Roger

"Hold a moment, please."

Roger checks first to see if his arrow is salvageable, then takes out his rope and begins tying the goblins together, using the most cunning and tricky knots he had learned as a mercenary.

"Best we ensure these little beasties don't ambush us when they awaken, eh?"

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"A brother of mine would say the best way would be to slay them all as they sleep. I'm glad you don't share his view on that."

Conrad is also decidedly looking away from anyone who decides to take their purses. He knows how this works.

"Huw, it's your call as to whether you switch out for someone unwounded for now. Sara, same for you. As for right now, I suggest taking on the room to our left and clearing it. It's better to be systematic about these things."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Roger
You retrieve your rope and proceed to bind the goblins to one another so that they do not go free when they awake.

Please make an intelligence check for your general skill use.

Also since you bound them, you find 15 electrum, 27 silver and 32 copper on the goblins that you can share how you see fit.

---

GM Notes
I elected not to have you pick (Optional)General Skills, instead you can try anything and you will simply roll 1d20 with the appropriate modifier to handle actions not implicitly covered by your class. Should you have questions about the roll, I'll let you know what you need to roll with.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson

"Good work on that Sleep spell, Roger. Conrad, I think I will step aside for a little bit, but looks to me like whichever direction we head, it'll be single file.

Also, I speak a little Goblin, we could try interrogating one of these wretches, see if they've any information?"

As the rest of the group discuss the next steps, Huw examines his surroundings...

Detection: 1d6 5

...sees nothing unusual.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Huw Rhysson
You don't notice anything out of the ordinary about your surroundings. The walls, ceiling and floors are all stonework, probably no more than four or five decades old(and of amateur human craftsmanship, no doubt). The doors simply sturdy and heavy oak. Outside of that, nothing seems out of place.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%), GP: 68, Arrows = 19

As the goblins got bound and tied and their fates were discussed, Amelaide studied the hideous creatures. She even moved to touch one. "They're gross. But Huw's right. They probably know something useful. It looks like they're living here, so maybe they could help us fill out the map a bit more. And maybe anything that heard the noise will come to us, right? Isn't that what the books say, get your enemy to attack you?"

And then, before she could work up the courage to actually touch the thing, it let out a grunt in its sleep, and Ame jumped and let out a small, scared sound, scrambling backwards.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

Wyndham bites his lip in thought. "They might be able to tell us more about the castle," he says, "Or they may just awaken ready to fight. I am also unsure as to how long we will have to wait for the magician's spell to wear off and for these...gross creatures to wake up. We could be here for hours! That's valuable looting time!" He pauses. "That, and more goblins could come looking for their friends. What are we going to do about these shrinking hallways? Are we going to split up and each group take a different route, or shall we just proceed single file in one direction?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Group
You stand at the entrance of the large hallway, the goblins securely bound. In the minutes that pass, you discuss how to proceed and recover from the unexpected from the battle.

One rounds worth of time(10 minutes) has passed.
@ProfessorCirno: That arrow is salvageable.
Also while the goblins swords are useless, there are two quivers of arrows(10 arrows each).

---

Loot Discovered Track
  • 15 Electrum, 27 Silver, 32 Copper
  • 20 Arrows (ENC.: 1cn/2 arrows: 10cn total)

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 2, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad
I took the liberty of adding the coins to a bag for now, we'll divvy them up later. I'll take the encumbrance hit. I'm also editing the recruit post directly for updates.

"We should not split the party. I suggest we clear the rooms to our left and right, single file if necessary. That order is as good as any, and it helps to know our exit is secure if we need to hurry away. And if someone does attack our rear, Sir... our archer is there." Was his name Robilar? Damnable memory.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Adrian Miros

Adrian looks guilty as he answers Wyndham. "I'm sorry. I thought they were dangerous. I can't cast the spell again unless I take the time to study it, though, so next time, you'll get your chance to fight whoever we run into." He thinks. "I think we should focus on the doors to our left and right first before we go down the hallway. Who knows if there's something in one of them that could block our escape if we ignore it? Is there anyone who can check the doors, see if they're locked or trapped or anything? If these goblins have been using this as a base, they might have booby trapped it against intruders."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Ropes!: 1d20 14

"Roger, friend Conrad. I am Roger. And do not fear; I am fairly skilled with a bow, though this shield and blade are not for decoration, either!"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Godfrey HP 1/3

Grunting, Godfrey removes the arrow from his arm, snapping the head off where it had pierced through and pulling the shaft back through the wound. He then set about wrapping the wound. The whole experience looked excruciating, but he gritted his teeth and bore it well. Still, Godfrey looked pale, and likely had lost too much blood to be of use in battle.

"Good man, Roger. Let us clear these side doors, then, and ensure we are not trapped here in a rear attack."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Olaf Helmsplitter

Olaf blinks as the whole thing is over before he gets a chance to even ready his weapon. Well he can wet his blade in the next batch. And perhaps it was premature to use such a spell on a simple batch of goblins, but Olaf is not about to bring it up, can't help a man being anxious at his first sight of a swarm of goblins.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 3, 2014

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Conrad
As your party enters the room to the left you make notes on your map.

---

Group
After sedating the goblins and securing them with rope, you decide to explore the chambers to your left and right before exploring the halls.

First, you visit the room on the left.

---

This room appears to have once been used as a dining room. There are tables and benches scattered throughout the room, many turned on their sides or upside down. Everything is covered with cobwebs.

What do you do?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Godfrey HP 1/3

"It appears that goblins have no use for fine dining. I'm sure this room shall be the very first to be renovated when the new owner moves in. Shall we check the next room?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"I can see nothing of interest here myself. Perhaps the neighboring room will be of interest."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Gale
HP 3/5 | AC 6

Gale looks around, hoping to find some silverware or something to snatch up.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%), GP: 68, Arrows = 19

Ame walks the room slowly, inspecting the cobweb-covered dining hall for any secret passages or doorways, but when she doesn't turn anything up she frowns. "I guess this is just a dingy old castle, then, huh? Lost rooms, inches of dust, maybe a few clanging suits of armor, and just some unsavories living here? Let's go check the other room, I guess."

Looking for secret doors and passages: 1d6 4

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Adrian Miros

Adrian tries to stifle a sneeze from the dust. "At least the room's empty.", he says positively. He's of the opinion that 'not of interest' is a positive when it comes to abandoned castles that have been invaded by monsters.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Gale
You look through the overturned tables and find a sack containing several coins. It feels surprisingly lumpy for a sack of coins.

---

Group
Determining that the room was of little value to the overall goal, you designate it cleared and proceed across the hall to the other room.

The goblins still slept, slouched over in the rope prison that Roger had made for them.

Conrad
You continue to mark your map as you move along the castle.

---

You push open the door to the right and find yourselves facing four additional goblins who look absolutely terrified to see you. They are seemingly arguing over two large piles of coin on the floor.

They look at you cautiously, but do nothing and shriek at you in goblinese.

---

those of you who understand goblin
"Ack! Adventurer's come to claim this castle... this is it, we're dead!!!"

---

What do you do?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson

In the dining room, Huw joins Amelaide in inspecting the room - another set of eyes can't hurt, after all.

Dining room detection: 1d6 3

In the second room, Huw shouts at the goblins. "Don't move, or you're all dead!"

Intimidate: 1d20 8 +1 CHA makes 9

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jalen

Hearing his stout companion's threat and deciding it would not be best to let it stand on its own, Jalen attempted to assuage the goblins.

Roll 1d20 = 16 "I do not speak your language, but I hope you can understand my intentions as well as that of my retinue. This does not need to end in violence."

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

"Ah, so now we've got the advantage!" Wyndham smirks, hand hovering over his weapon. "Do any of us speak goblin? If you do, it might not be wise to mention what's in the hallway back there..."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Godfrey HP 1/3

With his lip curling back in disgust, Godfrey says, "Their minds are so warped by chaos that they cannot understand even the most basic words of the common tongue. Don't lower yourself to sharing in their tainted speech. Our weapons speak our intentions well enough."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Huw Rhysson
Room 1
You look around the room and find that the stonework is similar to that of the halls, but you determine nothing out of the ordinary about it.

Room 2
The goblins seem to be too startled to process your threats. They tremble irregardless of your stance until one of them pushes forward at the sound of Jalen's voice.

Group
The goblins tremor in fear, but one steps forward, hands raised.

"W-WAIT! No kill us please, we friends, yes?" the pale ugly creature nervously responds.

goblinese
"Ig, what you doing?!"

goblinese
"Me no want die, Zot can die, no Ig."

The goblins seemingly start arguing with one another.

---

Jalen
The goblin looks to be speaking to you. Your words must have reached its ears.

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 3, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger simply shrugs.

"Such monsters make for little glory. If they will leave this place peacefully - and do not return - I see no reason to set blade and arrow on them. They can take their friends too. So I can get my rope back."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Roger
The speaking goblin turns towards you, "Yes, yes. We leave, I swears it! You can even have coin, look!"

goblinese
"Not my shinies! Don't give up shinies!!"

goblinese
"You want shinies or life?"

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

The halfling snatches the coin right out of the goblin's hand. "Deal!" He beams. "Perhaps you two can relay this acknowledgement of surrender to your friends in the castle, too?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Wyndham
"Uh, of-of course. Me tell em all to git. I swears it."

---

Anyone opposed to letting the goblins go?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"I have no idea what's going on but if this means we don't fight I'm for it."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Olaf Helmsplitter

Olaf is torn. On the one hand letting goblins go? What madness! Yet on the other hand, gold.....mmmm gold. He is not sure if he can trust the goblins to leave without setting up a trap, but at least some of them clearly want to get out of there alive and are willing to give up any treasure they found.

Finally he gruffly grumbles, "get to it before someone changes their mind."

Eh we could have probably used the practice, then again the last batch of goblins nearly killed some of us. And well this way we get some gold, without expending any resources.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 3, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson

"Thanks for the shinies. It's been real swell."

goblinese
"Hey, uh, Ig, is it? Before you go, is there anything you can tell us about the other monsters in the castle? Or what the general layout of the castle is?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Group
The goblins begin to carefully approach the exit of the room, navigating cautiously around your large group.

They paid little attention to the murmur's about their friends, until they see them bound together in the hall. One lying dead.

The goblin who seems to be leading this group of rebels looks surprised when Huw addresses them in the goblin tongue.

goblinese
"Wh- Of course, friend who let us live, friend who get help!"

The other goblins scowl at his eagerness to help, but don't do anything to stop them taking in full the size of your party and seeing their allies defeated.

goblinese
"Castle big and hold more than goblin. Kobolds, bandits and beasts even! Us goblin like to stay around the front, going around scraping up whatever shinies we can find. Ig show Goblin hiding spots."

The goblin carefully walks to the edge of the hall and points towards the eastern corridor identifying three rooms.

"Wif us gon', rooms empty. Not much in rooms, but room straight ahead have strange statue. Always feel like ig be watched."

"Ig no waste time, we leave, Ig promise."

All in all, the goblins were hoarders who were none too bright. After getting all you can from them, Ig and the other goblins in the guard room you entered wake up the sleeping goblins that they could, and those still under the effects of the spell are dragged away.

In a few moments, they are gone from the castle.

---

In the empty guard room
A large bounty of coins sits on the floor, coppers and silvers. Also a red gem sits on the floor.
(3000cp, 4000sp, one gem)

---

Loot Track
  • 15 Electrum, 27 Silver, 32 Copper (Goblins)
  • 20 Arrows (ENC.: 1cn/2 arrows: 10cn total)
  • 3000cp, 4000sp, one gem (Room 2)
  • Lumpy Bag of Coins (Room 1)(500sp, ???)

---

At this point about 40 to 50 minutes(4-5 noncombat rounds total) have passed since you entered the castle. The goblins have cleared out, but they indicated that more than goblins occupied the castle. They couldn't go into too many details as they seemingly only occupied the area towards the front of the castle.

Ig also pointed out that directly ahead(to the east) is a room containing a peculiar statue.

What do you do?

---

GM Notes
Sorry for crude map at work and limited to MS Paint.

• Locked thread