Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson

Huw lets out a low whistle at the size of the pile of 'shinies'. "I don't think we'll be able to carry all that and continue clearing out this place. Maybe we could put it all in the dining room, secure it, and pick it up on our way out? Then we can head east and look at the looking statue.

Also, Gale, what's in that sack you found in the dining room? My curiosity's getting the better of me."

Huw then gets back to the careful observation of the surroundings... Detection: 1d6 6 It's OK to do this in every room, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Huw Rhysson
I don't see a problem with it :)

You survey the guardroom looking for any irregularities in the stonework, but it's hard to focus with all this money laying about. The walls, ceiling, door and floor appear as they do in the first room you entered. Nothing catches your attention in particular.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Gale

Gale shrugs nonchalantly and yanks on the sack's drawstrings to peek inside.

Do I need to roll a thing

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Gale
You open the lumpy sack of coins and peer into it. There is a large amount of silver, but just beneath that, you see two gems barely cresting above the scattered coins.

No roll :)

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Gale

Gale picks the gems out of the bag, shrugs again, and tosses them into the pile of treasure before dumping the rest of the sack's contents into it.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"The safest thing to do is probably to spike the door shut for now. We'll hear if someone tries to bash it open. The downside, of course, is that it will take time to get it open again, but we can handle that.

So, what was that thing the Goblin said about the statue? We should look into this. Robert, will you take the lead this time?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Roger

"It is Roger, friend Conrad. And, happily! By blade and shield, I will ensure our party remains safe!"

The young warrior puffs up with pride considerably.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Adrian Miros

"We should be careful around the statue," Adrian warns. "It might be magical, and might provide a way for a skilled wizard to spy on us. There are wizards who know how to do that sort of thing. I mean, I don't, but some do."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Olaf Helmsplitter

Seeing the other dwarf inspecting the stone of the room Olaf begins to do the same. Of course like the other Dwarf Olag is far, far, far too concerned with the treasure. His eyes keep turning toward it, he licks his lips a few times, and he does a rather terrible job of inspecting the room.

Dwarf Detection 1d6 5

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

"If the statue IS magical, I've found the simplest way to stop magic is to crush it beneath my boot. A statue just means it will take more then one blow. That said, this is a mighty treasure indeed; perhaps we should return this to turn, allow our wounded to recuperate slightly, then return?"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jalen

Jalen clears his throat to get the attention of the warriors, particularly the young, brusque one.

"If the statue is indeed magic, I have a means to determine it."

Casting Detect Magic.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

"And if it is magical,I have a means to knock its head off!"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Olaf
You look around the guard room and are unable to notice anything out of the ordinary about the stonework in this room as your eyes continue to turn towards the coin.

---

Castle map with areas Ig showed you.
Also taking it you all are moving in to look at the Statue in room 7?

---

Group
As you enter into the room that the Goblin Ig had pointed out, you spot a marble statue of a Goddess carrying a sword and scales, at its base is a plaque with an engraving that had been worn away with time.

The east wall of this room has a ledge about seven feet from the floor, with two small windows above the ledge. The room appears to be empty except for the statue of the goddess in the northeast corner.

---

Jalen
The statue glows with a shimmering light revealing to you that it is in fact magic.

---

Roger, Adrian, Conrad & Godfrey
You enter into the room and it appears as if the statue turns to you, and then it begins to speak.

Lawful
"Valiant disciples of truth and justice, how may I serve you?"

To everyone else, the statue is silent and appears to be fixed in its place.

---

GM Notes
So how were you all handling that treasure? Taking it away, spiking it into the room? Carrying it with you now?

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 4, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"Oh! The statue speaks!"

Conrad speaks in Lawful. It's kind of weird.

"So what do you do, statue?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Group
Conrad begins to speak to the statue after announcing that it speaks. Most of you hear nothing.

Conrad
"I will answer any three questions, you and your virtuous brethren may have about this castle or its inhabitants. Three and only three, then I will fall silent til sight of the next morning's sun."

Adrian, Roger, Godfrey
You hear the statue say it will answer three questions about the castle and its inhabitants.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Amelaide Florantha Starfall
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%), GP: 68, Arrows = 19

The elf's eyes go wide at Conrad's part of the conversation. She looks over the statue, and then says, "Woah, wait, what's going on? Is it, like, talking to you or something?"

While the conversation continues, she looks around the room for other passages, doors, and anything else. Unfortunately, she still doesn't turn anything up at all. She frowns back at the statue, and says, "Why do you think it's here? Oh, I know! Ask it who made this castle, and put it here!"

Passage Finding: 1d6 5

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"The statue claims that it will answer any three questions about this castle per day to any who align themselves to law, and then be silent until the next day. And while I too am curious about where it came from, I suspect it could tell us where potential threats are! We can ask it again once the castle is clear.

Tell us, Statue, what beings aside from ourselves are in this castle and where might they be found?"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jalen

"What he says is likely the truth. While I do not speak that language, the statue glowed to indicate its magical properties. The information we get out of it could be helpful, as it must have been here a very long time."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson

"Strange. I can't hear the statue at all," says Huw. "But at least it's not attacking, so I'll leave you guys to it and help secure the treasure we just found."

As he leaves the statue room, he casts about for any possible clues... Detection: 1d6 4

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Godfrey

Looking with concern to Huw as the dwarf departs, Godfrey says, "Perhaps only those pure of heart can hear its speech. It is a divine statue, and the gods are careful in choosing to whom they speak."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
You look around the room but are unable to discern any hidden passages. Dust and cobwebs cling to the stone, but not much else.

Conrad
"Valiant Warrior, that is two questions, the latter to which I could not provide in any circumstance. However, I have felt the taint of the others. Men with hearts impure and a lust for greed. Innocent blood has been spilled by their hands. There are other humans as well, capable in the ways of trade and defense. Kobolds lurk, keeping wolves at bay. Giant insects and animals have found their way to this castle as well. Then something more... Something to which my knowledge is clouded."

Huw Rhysson
You look around the strange room for any irregularities but find none as you pass through the doorway and head towards the Guardroom where all the treasure your group had found was stored.

If you spike it shut, use 6-12 spikes. You can reclaim them later, the door will be damaged but not your spikes. It'll take you 20 minutes by default, or 10 on a 1d20 strength check of 11+

Godfrey
"That is correct, warrior. Do you have a question?" you hear the statue speak to you.

Those of you who are not Lawful
The strange conversation with the statue continues, but Jalen's magics and the words of your allies have confirmed the nature of the enchanted marble. Huw goes to spike the door shut.

If you want to go take that treasure or some of it to go and shop/heal like proper contractors, now is the time to declare it.

7 rounds overall have passed. 1hr 10min. About 9:00 AM

What do you do?

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 5, 2014

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

Wyndham looks at the bloodied and bruised members of his group. "Perhaps now would be a good time to rest up and heal, before we venture any further. We're free of goblins now, but we might come across worse..." He suppressed an excited smirk. "We should be prepared. I would also like to determine how much of that treasure belongs to me..."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Adrian Miros

Adrian hears the statue's words, including it's warnings of what other creatures lurk in the castle, and asks, "Statue, I would ask a question. What is the greatest danger we face in this castle, and how do we best defeat it?"

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson:

Huw heads to the treasure room, intending to spike it shut. But when he gets there, he realises he has no spikes! With no means of barring the door, he takes a seat, grabs his waterskin and takes a swig before pouring some water over the wound one of the goblins gave him. Pretty foolish to come into a monster-infested castle with no way of healing your injuries, he thinks. I wonder how many potions one-tenth of that pile of loot would buy?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger mostly stays quiet. Even if the statue was speaking in the tongue his mercenary group taught him, even if it was warning them of strange and potent dangers, it still stunk of magic.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Adrian Miros
The statue responds, "I will answer but one question mage, and it is that of the greatest threat you face in this castle. A question which I cannot confidently answer. In terms of tenacity, it will be the wolves. However, there exist magics in this place that obscure the fullness of my sight."

"I have the capability to answer one more question and then I will be gone til the next sun."

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Gale

Gale remains silent and tries to make herself scarce. Something about the statue unnerves her.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Elf: Veteran-Medium, Level 1, HP: 2/2, XP: 0 (+5%), GP: 68, Arrows = 19

"What if we, like, took the statue with us back to town? We could put it in the town square, and then talk to it all the time, right?" Ame beamed at what she considered a brilliant idea, and started inspecting the base of the well-carved marble to see how mobile it might be.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 10, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

"We should consider it, perhaps, but it seems too heavy. A final question then for now; Who made you, Statue?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Olaf Helmsplitter

Olaf looks back and forth between the silent statue, and the people supposedly talking to it. And remains silent on the comment about how perhaps one has to be pure of heart to hear it. It sounds more like one has to be touched in the head. He also silently scoffs at the idea of trying to carry the statue out. Instead he notices the lack of the other dwarf and heads back to search for him. The previous room may have been cleared but it is still better not to have anyone left alone.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
In the Utility Room
Conrad
"A virtuous cleric by the name of Esyllt, she was wise and devout in life. Fare-the-well, Warriors." The essence in the statue responds before vanishing.

Jalen
The magical glow fades away from the statue.

The statue seems to be quite heavy and although sections of it have crumbled away. It would probably take most, if not all of you to carry it back to town without some type of cart or wagon to carry it with.

---

At the Guard Room
Huw Rhysson & Olaf Helmsplitter
Huw Rhysson
Heading to spike the treasure in the room, you come to realize you have no spikes with which to seal the room so you admire the treasure. Not too long after, Olaf Helmsplitter comes in search of you.

Olaf Helmsplitter
You find Huw Rhysson, admiring the stacks of coin in the room instead of securing it.

---

9:10 AM

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 7, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson:

"Hey, Olaf," Huw says to his fellow dwarf. "Have the righteous finished talking to the magic rock yet? Do we know what we're doing with all this treasure?"

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wyndham

Wyndham pipes up as the light fades from the statute: "Hm. Doesn't look nearly as impressive now. But it does look heavy. I think we will have our hands full carting our loot back into town without having to worry about lifting this thing, too." He too is smarting a little from Godfrey's "pure of heart" crack, turning his back on the group and leaving to see what the dwarves are up to.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Godfrey

"Let us return to town with these coins, then, and recover from our injuries. But leave the statue here. I don't want to risk damaging it from a move and inviting the wrath of the gods."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Adrian Miros

"The statue is holy. We should leave it alone. But we probably should get this treasure back to town and get help for the wounded.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 7, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Roger

Roger takes out his bags and his backpack and begins gathering up the coins.

"I too vote we leave the statue. We have more then enough to bring back as is; let us invest our gold, rest the night, and return in the morning!"

The warrior finishes gathering as much as he could and leaves with the others to spend a night carousing; he, after all, had taken no injuries!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Olaf Helmsplitter

Before the others come back to help relocate the treasure to a more secure, and likely to soon be spent, condition Olaf shakes his head, barely taking his eyes off the treasure. "No, last I saw they were still talking to the statue. I am beginning to worry about the sanity of those we are working with.

When the others start arriving to transport the treasure Olaf helps secure it for carrying out. He may linger here and there on a particularly nice piece of treasure, or bit of gold, but he does a good job of securing it for transfer all the same.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Heading back to Fenswick
Group
Deciding that you would be best suited to handle the dangers of the castle after you were collectively restored to good health, you ask the statue three questions and go to collect the treasure you had found thus far and head back to Fenswick.

Exiting the castle, you head back to town, with a significant amount of treasure.

Each of you get 300 CP, 450 SP, and 1 EP with a deficit of 5 EP, 27 SP and 32 CP, also four* gems. I said three, but there were three in the bag Gale picked up and 1 in the guard room.
You all can decide how to divide deficit, but I'm going to go ahead and split up XP for everyone based on the collective gold worth of your loot.
Gold worth not accounting the unappraised gems is 489 gold, excluding 1 EP, 7 SP and 32 CP.
Everyone gets 49XP before your XP bonuses. Mark your XP, if you have 5% bonus you get 51XP, if you have 10% bonus you get 53XP.

Those injured among you go to seek the temple clerics who gracefully mend your wounds irregardless of your faith or demeanor. This is a free service, but they graciously accept donation.

"You are healed by the grace of Pelor. Be well, adventurers."

---

At the Shop
"Why isn't this quite the band of adventurer's, welcome to my shop. Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular" a jovial shopkeep says as he eyes your heavy coin pouches. "Where are my manners, my name is Torvald and I have a fine selection of wares to accomdate your adventuring needs."

Tell me what you want and I'll haggle with you. Also this guy can identify your gems.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huw Rhysson:
XP: 51    HP: 6/6    GP: 54 (before loot)

Huw takes out his two large sacks, stuffs them full of treasure, and slowly carries them back to Fenswick with the rest of the party, discussing the statue's proclamations. "So based on what Esyllt's statue and the goblins told us, we're facing wolves and kobolds; bandits, Caldwell's "cloaked figure", and other humans "capable in the ways of trade and defense" so we should be careful who we fight; giant insects, animals, and maybe other beasts; and a great big spooky thing that blocks the statue's vision. Hmm.

As for the treasure, I am of the mind to split the coin equally between the ten of us, and the gems to those who have excelled themselves this day. That is to say, a gem each for Godfrey, the goblin-slayer; Adrian, who finished the fight with a single spell; Jalen, who negotiated the goblins' surrender; and Conrad, the statue-speaker. I should stress that this is merely my humble opinion; and I am open to other wealth distribution possibilities."

Huw first visits the temple of Pelor, and is healed by the clerics there. For this service, he gives a donation of 5gp along with his thanks. He then makes his way to Torvald's shop. "Hello, Torvald. I'm looking mainly for restorative potions, although I am wondering, would you also perchance have some spoiled meat and/or some quick-acting poison?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Conrad

Conrad rests and reflects on events. He feels they surely could have gone further if they'd simply rotated duties around, but... well, he couldn't protect everyone behind him, and they were more vulnerable. Caution was probably for the best.

He decides to invest in a Polearm. If the party can advance in two ranks of armed warriors, he can stand in the second at the ready, able to strike at any who come close. Maybe he'd take this up with Roderick later.

Bath first, though. And some way to keep the coins safe while in the dungeon. Perhaps he should simply hire the room for the entire week and find a loose floorboard...

Subtracting 7gp for a nice Pole Arm (a halberd), not a knight's weapon but what's a horseless, landless man to do? Also someone get those gems appraised they mean XP too.

• Locked thread