Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
today I was dispatched to a home that had been "ramshacked"

Dispatchers are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

beanieson posted:

Did she at least have a hot voice?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

beanieson posted:

You're very insensitive to people with lisps.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

beanieson posted:

So that's what Connery is doing post-retirement.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

You're very insensitive to people with lisps.

Is there a name for this? Am I a lispist?

It wasn't just spoken over the radio either, in the call summary on my MDT it said "ramshacked" :negative:

E: maybe the complainant said it first and they just went along

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of my stepsisters is a dispatcher. She has slept with a number of cops, most of them married. She looks like the michelin man. I figure this is pretty standard.

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007
Got old money, could buy a dinosaur
Hot voice is never an indicator of hot body.

Dispatchers taught me this. More than once.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

:siren: Public Service Announcement :siren:

In case you guys don't bother to read the big red server announcements at the top of the page, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. OpenSSL had a major security breach that resulted in people being able to use a rather simple Python scripts to trawl for log-in/password information for any site that uses OpenSSL for security.

SA was effected by this but it was patched this morning, so any password you make now should be ok.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
I'm just tired of getting dispatched to the Libary

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Why don't you all just put your guns in your mouth then pull the trigger, severing your pigshit brain from your central nervous system?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I guess somebody just got a traffic ticket.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

He's probably a dispatcher with a lisp.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

fresh catchphrase posted:

Why don't you all just put your guns in your mouth then pull the trigger, severing your pigshit brain from your central nervous system?

Makes you think

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!
I just got my start date for the academy and the first thing they've asked me to buy is a pair of black bdu pants. I thought the black tactical cargo pants thing was supposed to be a joke. Militarization of the police. Ron Paul 2012.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

tacyak posted:

I just got my start date for the academy and the first thing they've asked me to buy is a pair of black bdu pants. I thought the black tactical cargo pants thing was supposed to be a joke. Militarization of the police. Ron Paul 2012.

You'll understand when you're on the job. Basically BDU's are a godsend when you need a place to stuff flashlights, gloves, a knife, keys, evidence you pick up at a scene. The extra pockets are really necessary and I hate wearing dress pants instead.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

You'll understand when you're on the job. Basically BDU's are a godsend when you need a place to stuff flashlights, gloves, a knife, keys, evidence you drop at a scene. The extra pockets are really necessary and I hate wearing dress pants instead.

FTFY

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

tacyak posted:

it's probably just your academy uniform. Also make sure you ask for something durable for your drop gun, don't wanna have to keep getting new ones cause you asked for a kel tec instead of a diamondback.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Branis posted:

it's probably just your academy uniform. Also make sure you ask for something durable for your drop gun, don't wanna have to keep getting new ones cause you asked for a kel tec instead of a diamondback.

don't you ideally want something cheap so that costs don't run up when you plant guns on the poor people you opress?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Branis posted:

We all know a poor, um brown, er bad guy is more likely to carry a keltec c'mon it's the perfect drop.

edit - Serious guntalk. When my Keltec failed, they had it repaired and shipped back to me, free of charge, within nearly 2 weeks. It was a really pleasant customer service experience, though I don't know if that quite makes up for the overall poorer quality of the weapon.

There are times I just don't carry off-duty anymore because I figure it's more likely that my Keltec would fail on me than it is that I would be involved in a shooting. It's actually pretty scary when I think about it but I try not to.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 9, 2014

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
scratch off the serial and sell the keltec on the streets, buy an M&P shield 9mm and a crossbreed holster. I don't off duty carry much because I can't be bothered to wear anything but sweat pants anymore

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Kel-tec is poo poo, it's true, but the poors out here have a taste for hi-points.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I had a buddy who worked a murder in iowa where the victim got killed by a .45acp hipoint. Probably the first time in history that the victim and the shooter weren't the same person when a hipoint is involved.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Branis posted:

M&P shield 9mm

Man last year I was so close to buying that gun. I still want it, but I just don't have the money.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
This is something that I still find hard to understand. I get that people have a budget, but considering how important your weapon is, why would you go for low quality to save a few bucks? Do you have to buy your own body armor too? I'm fairly sure that these purchases would at least be tax deductable(6 days, just fyi).

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is something that I still find hard to understand. I get that people have a budget, but considering how important your weapon is, why would you go for low quality to save a few bucks? Do you have to buy your own body armor too? I'm fairly sure that these purchases would at least be tax deductable(6 days, just fyi).

The KelTec PF-9 was very highly recommended to me by some very experienced LEO's I worked with at the time who served as our department range masters and armorers. I never had a problem with it until the firing pin just broke on it one day and it wouldn't fire anymore. Prior to that, it started having misfeeds constantly but I don't know if that was connected to the firing pin failure.

KelTec replaced about everything except the frame on the gun when they shipped it back. I haven't had a problem with it since then, it's just a feeling in the back of my mind that I don't trust it.

I'd love to go out and drop $700 on a gun I can trust, but 1) I don't make a lot of money and I have a lot of bills, 2)I have very expensive hobbies, 3) I'm not really a gun guy so I just don't care that much. I have my primary duty-gun that I carry off-duty if I know I absolutely want to have something I can rely on.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Reign Of Pain posted:

keltecs have a 6000 round garaunteed lifespan which is hilariously low but most ov you coppers will never come close to firing it that much

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Just by a j frame and be done with it.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Wait, your armorers recommended a Kel-Tec? :wtc:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

To be fair, they only did because I told them price was my biggest concern.

I was making about $15/hr at the time so money was tight.

Also ask me about : Owning uncle mikes duty gear (it's awful).

The Shep fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 9, 2014

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

To be fair, they only did because I told them price was my biggest concern.

I was making about $15/hr at the time so money was tight.

Also ask me about : Owning uncle mikes duty gear (it's awful).

:smith::respek::smith:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Smiling Jack posted:

I guess a Kel Tec is better than nothing but still, :wtf:

Our GOs state that we can only carry off duty Sigs or Glocks in 40 or 9 along with Colt, S&W, Ruger revolvers in .38.

Speaking of, I just off duty qualified yesterday on a new to me Glock 23 from cdnn sports I got for $390 shipped. Beats the hell out of any Kel Tec.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I thought you were RCMP, if so you can definitely afford not lovely gear.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I thought drakerider was a cop in saskatchewan, which is like canada's version of flyover states isn't it? Full of meth, rednecks and lovely wages.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Branis posted:

I thought drakerider was a cop in saskatchewan, which is like canada's version of flyover states isn't it? Full of meth, rednecks and lovely wages.

yes, yes, no. Also RCMP are the federal police, which are used to police areas that aren't big enough to justify a local pd.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

yes, yes, no. Also RCMP are the federal police, which are used to police areas that aren't big enough to justify a local pd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6_7xvGrU34

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

JayKay posted:

I guess a Kel Tec is better than nothing but still, :wtf:

Our GOs state that we can only carry off duty Sigs or Glocks in 40 or 9 along with Colt, S&W, Ruger revolvers in .38.

Speaking of, I just off duty qualified yesterday on a new to me Glock 23 from cdnn sports I got for $390 shipped. Beats the hell out of any Kel Tec.

Sigh. My new agency's backup/off duty list sucks. No revolvers at all. Suspect they just don't want to buy any ammo other than the issue caliber. My old agency I could carry any gun the armorer approved (in effect anything that wasn't poo poo) in 5 or 6 calibers.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Tyro posted:

Sigh. My new agency's backup/off duty list sucks. No revolvers at all. Suspect they just don't want to buy any ammo other than the issue caliber. My old agency I could carry any gun the armorer approved (in effect anything that wasn't poo poo) in 5 or 6 calibers.

Untagged's department has the best off duty policy. If you can qualify on it, you can carry it.

We're Glock/Sig only due to the fact that's what our 2 agencies are issued (PD=Sig, Sheriff=Glock). We also have revolvers on the list because of legacy.

I'd say the breakdown for off-duty carry here is 50% Glock, 30% Sig, 10% unarmed, 5% duty weapon, 5% revolver.

Edit: I just switched from carrying the Sig 239 in .40 to the Glock 23 for off duty.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 9, 2014

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

JayKay posted:

Untagged's department has the best off duty policy. If you can qualify on it, you can carry it.

We're Glock/Sig only due to the fact that's what our 2 agencies are issued (PD=Sig, Sheriff=Glock). We also have revolvers on the list because of legacy.

I'd say the breakdown for off-duty carry here is 50% Glock, 30% Sig, 10% unarmed, 5% duty weapon, 5% revolver.

Edit: I just switched from carrying the Sig 239 in .40 to the Glock 23 for off duty.

I never understood why agencies in the same area don't standardize their firearm, at least so ammo and magazines are interchangeable. Although here in my bumfuck dept everybody is allowed to carry whatever you want, so you have guys with midsize or full size glocks some in 9 some in 40 and one weird dude with an ancient beretta 92.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Branis posted:

I never understood why agencies in the same area don't standardize their firearm, at least so ammo and magazines are interchangeable. Although here in my bumfuck dept everybody is allowed to carry whatever you want, so you have guys with midsize or full size glocks some in 9 some in 40 and one weird dude with an ancient beretta 92.

Could be worse, I heard of one department where a guy carries an XD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

guy's still carrying 92s are the weirdest.

we carry whatever we want from an approved list (anything that isn't crap). There was talk recently of issueing all the swat guys glock 35s just to have the interchangeable magazines but nothing ever came of it.

In other news I wrote a big rear end check today, down payment on a lot/construction loan. If I suddenly stop posting it's cause I'm busy pulling my hair out for the next 7-8 months & am now poor.

• Locked thread