Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

Tests have shown my speeds to hold around 3Mbps down and 0.5 up. (I'm pretty sure my house is made of lead)

Tentatively declaring "don't panic".

Also known as "Canadian Internet speed." :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 28: When it Raines... (Polsy) :siren:

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

The Dreams of Man

While exploring the Ark, the l'Cie meet Cid Raines, who reveals the horrendous truth of the fal'Cie's agenda:

The divinity responsible for creating both fal'Cie and humans—known only as the 'Maker'—departed long ago, leaving the world to fall into ruin. To save it, the Maker must return, but to call back the Maker, millions of lives—no less than the entire population of Cocoon—must be sacrificed.

Thus the Sanctum fal'Cie carefully nurture the people within their floating shell in preparation for this bloody tribute.

Yet, unable to unmake that which they themselves have made, the fal'Cie have long sought suitable tools to carry out Cocoon's destruction. The Pulse l'Cie, in short, have been surreptitiously watched and protected so that they might gain the strength necessary to complete their terrible Focus...

Raines, the bearer of this awful truth, reveals himself to be a l'Cie under the control of Barthandelus.

So far, he has guided Lightning and her friends as his Focus required, but now he chooses to exercise his final shred of free will in an act of rebellion against the fal'Cie—if he can kill the Pulse l'Cie, then Cocoon will escape destruction.

His last wish as a human is to fight for the survival of his world. Even in defeat, he turns to crystal, and gains his eternal reward.

quote:

People: Cid Raines

Raines had been planning to overthrow fal'Cie rule, but was made into a l'Cie by Barthandelus before those plans could be put into action.

Since then, he has been a part of the fal'Cie's scheme to guide Lightning and the others through their battles with the Sanctum, and along the path to Cocoon's destruction.

However, Raines regains the will he once had as a human, and attempts to foil Barthandelus's plans by killing the l'Cie. Despite his eventual defeat, the Cavalry commander transforms into crystal.

quote:

The Fal'Cie: Orphan

This mysterious being fuels the fal'Cie Eden with the power necessary to maintain Cocoon's complex operational systems, and as such, its death would bring about Cocoon's certain destruction. Nevertheless, its death is what Barthandelus desires, for he seeks to offer the lives of the world's millions of inhabitants in sacrifice to call the vanished Maker back to this realm.

As Sanctum fal'Cie and l'Cie are themselves incapable of harming Orphan, Barthandelus requires the assistance of Pulse l'Cie. If they can transform into Ragnarok and destroy Orphan, Cocoon's demise will be assured.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Artix posted:

Update 28: When it Raines...

... it's poor?

(it being the plot)

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 22, 2014

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Artix, if you hold right on the controller while hovering over Abilities you will be able to just repeat your last action without having to input it again. Just fyi. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So is this the moment where we can't even defend the game's art direction anymore?

That said, even though the level itself was bland, Raines' crystal form was neat and I agree that it's unfair that the player-controlled l'Cie don't get cool poo poo like that. Admittedly, Raines didn't have the power to summon a mechanical monster that turns into a vehicle, so I guess it is somewhat fair.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blaze Dragon posted:

So is this the moment where we can't even defend the game's art direction anymore?

That said, even though the level itself was bland, Raines' crystal form was neat and I agree that it's unfair that the player-controlled l'Cie don't get cool poo poo like that. Admittedly, Raines didn't have the power to summon a mechanical monster that turns into a vehicle, so I guess it is somewhat fair.

Maybe that's a Pulse only thing.
And Cocoon L'Cie get the funky crystal form.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That whole cutscene leading up to the battle was anime as gently caress. Even by Final Fantasy standards.

You know, I've been playing The Banner Saga lately, and I'm struck by how much it has in common with FF13. Both games consist of a long linear march broken up by battles in a unique combat system. Both sell themselves on style. Neither has a strongly-directed plot, with your linear march largely being the pursuit of one small goal after another. And yet Banner Saga manages to be compelling the whole way through; its combat is much less repetitive (despite having a much smaller variety of enemies), its characters are more enjoyable (despite having much less screen time each), its plot is much better presented. Might be a good case study to see how this game could have turned out better.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I seem to remember reading in an artbook somewhere the crystal form was Raines intentionally forcing a conflict on his focus and transforming himself into a cieth early so he could try and kill them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kurieg posted:

I seem to remember reading in an artbook somewhere the crystal form was Raines intentionally forcing a conflict on his focus and transforming himself into a cieth early so he could try and kill them.

That's stupid.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kurieg posted:

Wait, but Cie'ths don't... they can't actually... :psyduck:

You know what, sure, let's go with that. It's more explanation than the game is ever going to give us.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
so the characters are doing things because a god is telling them to and the gods are making them do things because their god told them to.

...how is this plot salvageable again?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rita Repulsa posted:

so the characters are doing things because a god is telling them to and the gods are making them do things because their god told them to.

...how is this plot salvageable again?

They're trying to do the exact opposite that they're being told to do so hard and so badly that it somehow has imploded on itself and they're doing what they're told to, but being really pissed off about doing it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FeyerbrandX posted:

They're trying to do the exact opposite that they're being told to do so hard and so badly that it somehow has imploded on itself and they're doing what they're told to, but being really pissed off about doing it.

So the cast is a bunch of angsty teenagers.

Which is far since 1/6 of it is actually an angsty teenager.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Artix posted:

Wait, but Cie'ths don't... they can't actually... :psyduck:

You know what, sure, let's go with that. It's more explanation than the game is ever going to give us.

Yeah that's the thing, the only information we have about the cie'th is what the game tells us and then Cid comes along and does this.

Which looks suspiciously like this<--Enemy we technically haven't seen yet.

Honestly, the whole fal'cie plot would probably seem a lot more menacing if it didn't come off as a bunch of petulant children who are angry at their parents. Dad left them alone and told them not to break all the pottery, and they want to be good and not break the pottery, but there's the family pet right there and if they keep smacking it it might get angry enough to break the pottery for them. And then dad will love them again.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Honestly, the whole fal'cie plot would probably seem a lot more menacing if it didn't come off as a bunch of petulant children who are angry at their parents. Dad left them alone and told them not to break all the pottery, and they want to be good and not break the pottery, but there's the family pet right there and if they keep smacking it it might get angry enough to break the pottery for them. And then dad will love them again.

That's... shockingly accurate. Except the pottery is full of chocolate or anti-freeze and the dogs die and daddy comes back with a new puppy.

Those psychopathic fucks.

Wouldn't put it past them to make stage 4 or 5 of their plan to murder daddy and Bart wears his face as a mask, over his ridiculous mechanical one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The fal'Cie's plot is pretty much "I'll hold my breath until I get what I want (or pass out from asphyxiation)". Only when they pass out... everyone dies.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So... the fal'Cie can't destroy Cocoon. Except there are Pulse fal'Cie who seem specifically focused on doing exactly that. So why don't the Pulse fal'Cie just destroy Cocoon while the Cocoon fal'Cie watch? Or if the Pulse fal'Cie can't personally destroy Cocoon, but have to make l'Cie do it for them, why can't the Cocoon fal'Cie do the same thing? And why have the fal'Cie created an atmosphere of fear and hatred and aggression against all things Pulse if they actually WANT Cocoon destroyed?

And then Cid comes and says "if you do nothing, their plan will fail." And the party agrees, and says "OK, we'll do nothing." And then Cid tries to kill them anyway.

And he says his focus was to set them on their current path. Which he did. But he didn't turn into a crystal. So that wasn't actually his focus?

Ugh, this plot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I finally got around to watching part of this, and I'm really glad someone pointed out all the flagrant disregard for firearm safety in the first chapter. That whole section really felt like there were no stakes involved. I mean, they say that they're fighting for their lives and their freedom, but then you have Snow's gaggle of idiots doing poses and whining about wanting to take a nap while bullets whizz through their perfect anime hair. The game wants you to feel like there's an actual battle happening, but what you really feel is that you're watching a bunch of kids playing paintball.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Watched it all. Thank you for cutting out the combat. gently caress this game. Sazh is the greatest

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think one thing that could have really helped this game is to get rid of the 2-man party segments. You can still split the party in half, but bring Fang in sooner so the split would be Lightning/Hope/Fang and Sazh/Vanille/Snow.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Fister Roboto posted:

I think one thing that could have really helped this game is to get rid of the 2-man party segments. You can still split the party in half, but bring Fang in sooner so the split would be Lightning/Hope/Fang and Sazh/Vanille/Snow.

Definitely. For its faults, once it actually gets going FFXIII's combat is pretty enjoyable I found. Makes for good boss fights, but quick animations and basic enemies tend not to has so much HP that you have to stagger and whale on them for ages to take them down so it has some semblance of pacing. But you never even get access to a full party (aside from a fight in the prologue before you have access to the Crystarium and Roles) to actually make use of that system until mid Chapter 9. Which at least for me was 20 hours into a ~30 hour game. It gives the entire game to that point the feel of being a tutorial, and given it takes up two thirds of total play time that much tutorial is just unacceptable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way, it was never touched upon but earlier it was mentioned that the Player Characters have stagger meters even though noone can stagger them, but that might not be true. Cid Raines can launch your characters during his combo, so I think he may also be staggering you there as well.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Many things can launch you, like Bazooka shots. Unless I didn't watch closely enough and it was higher and/or did specifically display "Launch"?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Simply Simon posted:

Many things can launch you, like Bazooka shots. Unless I didn't watch closely enough and it was higher and/or did specifically display "Launch"?

Guess I forgot about that :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, even things that you can't mechanically stagger still have a stagger gauge because focus-firing to build up damage is so intricate to the system.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like how Cid Raines' armor has a little necktie shape built into it. It's important to look professional.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I like how Cid Raines' armor has a little necktie shape built into it. It's important to look professional.

The question then is, is that better or worse than Bartholomew's burnished steel necklace tie?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The player stagger gauges actually determine a few different things i think? I know for sure that influences how much somebody gets healed for and barring very specific way to do it, you'll never max it out.

I can't find the video on youtube now for whatever reason but there was/is a video of sombody setting it up so that he got Snow's stagger gauge to 999 with just a bunch of healing and the holy crap the green numbers were so big man.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The question then is, is that better or worse than Bartholomew's burnished steel necklace tie?

Apparently everyone evil has a tie. The Baroness, Rosch. Anima and the Guard Scorpion probably did too.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 29: Falling with Style (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Fang's Theme

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

On Wings of Misery

Seeing Raines turn to crystal, not as a consequence of completing his Focus as a l'Cie, but from fulfilling his wish as a human, has lifted Snow out of his uncharacteristic despair.

It seems that it doesn't matter what his Focus is. All he needs to do is remember Serah's words, and fight to protect Cocoon just as he originally intended. And ultimately, if ignoring his task were to turn him into a Cie'th, wouldn't that still be better than ignoring his fiancée's wish and destroying the world?

Snow decides to spend whatever time he has left in a way that would make Serah proud.

Though the others warm to his idea, Fang stands apart. She'll never let herself, let alone her friends, turn Cie'th. Even if it means tearing Cocoon out of the sky, she'll complete their Focus to save them from that fate.

Her spirit in turmoil, Fang feels her inert brand blaze to life, and looks on in stunned amazement as the Eidolon Bahamut is summoned from the skies.

Eidolons 'save' l'Cie who waver in their conviction by ending their indecision with death. Realizing that Bahamut is a danger to all of them, Fang is forced to rethink her path.

Unable to stand by and see her friends hurt, she helps them to defeat the Eidolon and finds a new road has opened up before them.

quote:

Terra Incognita

The fal'Cie hope to restore their world with the help of the Maker, but calling back the lost divinity requires the energy generated by the deaths of millions of people. Now, the beings who built Cocoon as a place to nurture their 'tribute' seek to manipulate Pulse l'Cie in the final stages of their grand scheme.

Lightning and her friends have been monitored and assisted by the fal'Cie from the very beginning. Even their clashes with the military have been carefully orchestrated to ensure their survival.

Countless Sanctum soldiers, unaware of the callous fal'Cie's true objectives, have been thrown into the jaws of the l'Cie in an effort to nurture ever-stronger beasts.

Knowing this, there is no clear path for the l'Cie to take. Ignore their Focus and become Cie'th, or give in to the fal'Cie and condemn millions to death.

Their only hope is to trust their own strength of will. They have to follow Raines's noble example—and Serah's parting wish—by going through with their plan to protect Cocoon.

More determined than ever after the battle with Bahamut, the l'Cie begin their journey to the untamed world of Gran Pulse.

quote:

People: Snow Villiers

Without a family to take care of him, Snow was raised in a Sanctum facility. Now he leads the rebellious group of youths known as NORA.

Believing Serah's last words to be his Focus, Snow pours all of his energy into saving Cocoon. His fervor is blunted by the claim that she was nothing more than a fal'Cie tool, but he renews his determination to overcome the destiny laid before them. Nothing will prevent him from protecting his world and seeing Serah return from her crystallized state.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh man is this the fabled 20 hour mark?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm still sorta confused about this whole set-up. Pulse is a planet, and Cocoon is basically a shell/coccoon surrounding it? Or is it more like a moon? A really close moon?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm still sorta confused about this whole set-up. Pulse is a planet, and Cocoon is basically a shell/coccoon surrounding it? Or is it more like a moon? A really close moon?

The latter. Pulse is the planet itself, and Cocoon is basically an artificial moon.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Beaten.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The latter. It's basically a Moon with the area of North America (apparently) that orbits Pulse at a low-ish altitude in its breathable atmosphere.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ok, gotcha. Thanks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Every cutscene in that video was far longer than it had any reason to be. If it had any reason to exist at all.

There's something to be said for how bad the writing is when they absolutely have to have Fang break character to get her her Eidolon. That was very stupid. I'll disagree with Simon on Bahamut's design though (and on Artix on how to pronounce the name): the "normal" form is the worst Bahamut design I've seen in any Final Fantasy, holy poo poo that's really ugly and badly designed and I have no idea what they were thinking. The Gestalt version is a lot cooler, if only because it at least has wings that look strong enough for flight. The idea of a dragon turning into another dragon to be ridden is kind of silly though...

The whole thing with Hope was cringe-worthy. Lad, you've had your development, we know it, please stop talking. And the next scene...it was visually gorgeous, and seeing gameplay and story integration with Fang summoning Bahamut was neat, but...you start the cutscene making light of the monster, then said monster destroys the hell out of the airship. You'd think Fang and Vanille would know better. Fang, at least!

Also destroying the airship without giving the player any chance to use it is super-lame.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Every cutscene in that video was far longer than it had any reason to be. If it had any reason to exist at all.

And the next scene...it was visually gorgeous, and seeing gameplay and story integration with Fang summoning Bahamut was neat, but...you start the cutscene making light of the monster, then said monster destroys the hell out of the airship. You'd think Fang and Vanille would know better. Fang, at least!

Also destroying the airship without giving the player any chance to use it is super-lame.

This is my "go to" part when talking about how badly this game is paced. Ideally, how it could have gone is getting Bahamut at the very start of the level, seeing the airship off in the distance, and then working your way there, battling, and getting a chance to play with your new summon and such (just pretend the level isn't garbage). Maybe a minigame controlling the airship or even Bahamut, and then having the airship shot down.

As it is, Fang gets the summon, walks 10 yards into a cutscene, the airship lasts less than a minute, before Fang summons Bahamut. It just kills any impact getting the airship has.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blaze Dragon posted:

The whole thing with Hope was cringe-worthy. Lad, you've had your development, we know it, please stop talking.

Just pointing out that Hope hasn't got his Eidolon yet.

I think Bahamut is the only Eidolon I never really used. Odin, Shiva and Brynhildr all had their uses during the story parts where Eidolons were actually useful, but from here on out you get to develop your characters, and summons don't really get that much use. Plus if you're leading with Fang, you're likely putting out more damage than Bahamut can do.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Snow's gunna drop that stupid tear one of these days if he keeps tossing it up for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just pointing out that Hope hasn't got his Eidolon yet.

I think Bahamut is the only Eidolon I never really used. Odin, Shiva and Brynhildr all had their uses during the story parts where Eidolons were actually useful, but from here on out you get to develop your characters, and summons don't really get that much use. Plus if you're leading with Fang, you're likely putting out more damage than Bahamut can do.

The only reason I can think of is the "gently caress that damned max damage trophy, get it over with already," or "Oh poo poo, need a full heal now!"

• Locked thread