Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Maybe Fang freaked out because she realized there was a chance that Vanille would turn a C'ieth if they went through with their plans, but the way it played out....was bad.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blankd
Mar 26, 2010
I like to think Fang got pissed off with all the flip-flopping on what they should do. Or just all the dumb words coming out of everyone's mouth- maybe it's contagious.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FeyerbrandX posted:

The only reason I can think of is the "gently caress that damned max damage trophy, get it over with already," or "Oh poo poo, need a full heal now!"
Summons are great against these obnoxious 6-frog-fights which summon more and buff and ugh. They're just wiped out immediately.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

At least "So, you haven't made up your mind yet" was a line with very Troy Baker delivery.

Snow's awful, but Troy Baker makes some of the pain go away.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have no idea what's going on, but it sure is pretty

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I thought that they were inside some kind of Pulse ship thing which was inside Eden which is at the center of Cocoon, so how did they get into an airship and suddenly end up outside the thing? Was that green thing they flew into some kind of teleporter? And how would they know it was a teleporter? Huh? What?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I thought that they were inside some kind of Pulse ship thing which was inside Eden which is at the center of Cocoon, so how did they get into an airship and suddenly end up outside the thing? Was that green thing they flew into some kind of teleporter? And how would they know it was a teleporter? Huh? What?

A Wizard, or rather a Fal'cie did it. :v:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This would be among the more explainable things, I think. The green thing was a "gate" (i.e. teleporter), and Fang knew what it was because she and Vanille are from Pulse from the time of the war everyone was talking about earlier.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Fang thing makes some sense in light of the Raines fight. She trusted him, he tried to kill them, then everyone agreed he was doing the right thing. I'd question my loyalties too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I guess the thing about Fang is that for the most part she doesn't give two shits about Cocoon, all she cares about is her survival and that of Vanille. Everyone else can and will die if it's necessary to achieve that goal.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I guess the thing about Fang is that for the most part she doesn't give two shits about Cocoon, all she cares about is her survival and that of Vanille. Everyone else can and will die if it's necessary to achieve that goal.

I dunno how much she really cares about her own survival. I think most everything she's done at this point has been for Vanille.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So... I have a question.

Do we have an actual plot yet?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Shei-kun posted:

So... I have a question.

The exact same plot we've had since an hour in: We're l'Cie that have to destroy Cocoon, but we really don't want to. There have been no substantive developments since then.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

So... I have a question.

:catholic:: Blow up Cocoon.
:j:: No.
:j:: Bite me.
:byodood:: SERAH!!!
:dawkins101:: ...You loving--

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 30: The Writing on the Wall (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Terra Incognita

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

A Fruitless Search

The l'Cie scour Gran Pulse for some way to overcome their Focus, but even after days of searching the bleak terrain, they discover nothing but crumbling ruins and vicious wildlife. No matter how far they range, there is not another soul to be found.

Did the people of Gran Pulse fall victim to the brutal struggle for survival that dominates every aspect of this unforgiving world? And is the rebirth of this same desolate land the purpose behind the Cocoon fal'Cie's plan to slaughter millions of people?

As time passes and their fruitless expedition drags on, the l'Cie slowly succumb to frustration and despair—their most dangerous enemies.

Emotional extremes can accelerate the progress of a l'Cie brand. If a brand evolves to the final stage, it triggers the transformation into a Cie'th.

They are all reminded of how little time remains when Hope's brand suddenly advances another step.

quote:

A Man's Hope is His Castle

Eidolons come to grant a despairing l'Cie the death they crave—or so it is believed. But when the Eidolon Alexander is summoned by Hope's confused anguish, Lightning sees a different reason behind the entity's appearance.

She comes to believe that the Eidolons appear in order to prevent l'Cie from giving up on themselves. When l'Cie consumed by despair or rage, are close to losing their path, an Eidolon appears and gives them a life-or-death trial to overcome—thereby forcing them to rethink their decision to surrender.

Through his battle with Alexander, Hope renews his determination to survive and rejoins the others as they set off to the north. That way lies the village of Oerba.

If they can reach Fang and Vanille's hometown, then maybe they can learn the true story behind the War of Transgression, and find a clue to help them break the shackles of their Focus.

The l'Cie continue their journey, each playing their part to keep this tiny flame of hope alive.

quote:

Locales: Gran Pulse

The savage world derives its name from that of the god Pulse. Its vast wilderness is populated by creatures ranging from the monstrous to the deadly, and its fal'Cie seem to have taken a decidedly less friendly approach toward human dealings than those of Cocoon, cultivating the land for settlement, but demonstrating little concern beyond that.

At one time in its history, Gran Pulse was home to a thriving civilization and many great cities. Now it is home to many great ruins, and people are nowhere to be seen.

quote:

Locales: Vallis Media

This is the area where Lightning and her companions set up camp after their escape from Cocoon and emergency landing on Gran Pulse.

The valley has been formed through great shifts in the earth's crust and centuries of erosion, and scattered among its twists and turns are mechanical remnants of Gran Pulse civilization. Half-buried in the ground and overgrown with vegetation, these abandoned artifacts tell the tale of a fallen age.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
"A Man's Hope is His Castle" is the best line of text in this game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And we finally have the bestworst Eidolon. It is so sublimely stupid it's amazing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair in FF7 and 6 Alex basically is a castle/knight combo, and in FF9 he is literally a castle that turns into a knight and fights a dragon. It's silly as hell but there is plenty of precedent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's weird because Type-0, a game that is in the same universe as FF13, has a completely different Alexander that's basically a gently caress-off castle with a giant End of the World Laser. It's so powerful that a high class L'Cie can't even summon it without major juice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Aaaand we have a thread title for the Lightning Returns LP: "Oh god, I give up..." - Fedule

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

nine-gear crow posted:

Aaaand we have a thread title for the Lightning Returns LP: "Oh god, I give up..." - Fedule

But Lightning Returns is a good game that I like.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

Yes, but will you still feel that way after Artix keelhauls you through XIII-2 to get there? :cheeky:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, but will you still feel that way after Artix keelhauls you through XIII-2 to get there? :cheeky:

I just spent a week getting all 160 fragments in XIII-2 :shepicide:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fedule posted:

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Alraune is actually another name for the mandrake plant, as I learned from a completely unrelated LP.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Tae posted:

It's weird because Type-0, a game that is in the same universe as FF13, has a completely different Alexander that's basically a gently caress-off castle with a giant End of the World Laser. It's so powerful that a high class L'Cie can't even summon it without major juice.

It's really close to the Final Fantasy VI version, and boy is it ridiculous and pretty damned violent.

SPOILERS. DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU'VE PLAYED TYPE-0 or really don't care to see the remake:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20tuwj_final-fantasy-type-0-fmv-30-alexander_videogames

Edit: Type-0 has some interesting ideas, I'll give it that.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 2, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, for being the main character, Lightning is really seeming less like the hero and more like the one everyone turns to for advice instead of growing herself. And something about her reminds me of Tellah.

Oooh wait, is she gonna be Ragnarok?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh hey, Alexander! One of my favourite Eidolons, and not just because that happens to be my name. :v: I mean, he's a giant mechanical castle/golem! Pretty hard to mess that up.

Wait...

Dear God, what happened to Alexander?

I... uh...

Nidoking posted:

Alraune is actually another name for the mandrake plant, as I learned from a completely unrelated LP.

I remember the LP you're probably referring to. That was a good one. :allears:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Fister Roboto posted:

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

It actually is a good game, it just came too late to save itself in most people's eyes.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Judge Tesla posted:

It actually is a good game, it just came too late to save itself in most people's eyes.

Why anyone would play through FFXIII and then go "Yeah, I'll give the multiple sequels a shot" is loving beyond me.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
How does a wall even fight during battle? I mean, having the punchy variant around seems useful enough, but how does the wall work there?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nuramor posted:

How does a wall even fight during battle? I mean, having the punchy variant around seems useful enough, but how does the wall work there?

Artillery and lasers.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I think the thing that bothers me the most about Alexander is that there is a way more logical place for Hope to get him, way back in Palumpolum, you know when he was having an emotion breakdown that didn't straight the gently caress out of nowhere. I guess they didn't want him to have a summon that early for some reason.

This portion of game just feels like they went, "gently caress half the cast doesn't have summons yet, quick make everyone have emotion breakdowns for increasingly contrived reasons."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LeafyOrb posted:

I think the thing that bothers me the most about Alexander is that there is a way more logical place for Hope to get him, way back in Palumpolum, you know when he was having an emotion breakdown that didn't straight the gently caress out of nowhere. I guess they didn't want him to have a summon that early for some reason.

This portion of game just feels like they went, "gently caress half the cast doesn't have summons yet, quick make everyone have emotion breakdowns for increasingly contrived reasons."

Also amusing how the most emotional of the group (Snow) is the only one so far that didn't summon his Eidolon through emotional breakdown.

Also Alexander is a cool dude and the only thing that upsets me about him is that you have to use Hope as a party leader to use him. Which is never.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
I find it so discordant that the squishy mage gets a giant gently caress off wall as his summon. Probably someone at SE thought it would cover a weakness, but really guys? Why would you put the squishy mage as leader in a game where the leader going down is a game over?

Speaking of discordant, damnit FP; seeing this game with Neptunia mods would just ruin the prettiness of the setting! :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Alacron posted:

Why anyone would play through FFXIII and then go "Yeah, I'll give the multiple sequels a shot" is loving beyond me.

I got around this by skipping the first two and starting with Lightning Returns. I think it was a sound plan.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alacron posted:

"How much worse did they make the sequel?"

The David Cage trainwreck is good example of this.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I think the reason Alexander comes off as so hilarious is that all the other summons are super dynamic. Alexander is obviously a slow, lumbering type, but then you'd at least expect a rocket or something, not a literally immobile wall.

Here's my suggestion for a much better Alexander Gestalt Mode:

Aithon fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 2, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Alacron posted:

When steam is selling them for 15 bucks each, that is me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Maybe show off the status screens of the Eidolons we have so people can get an idea of how crazy Alexander is?

• Locked thread