Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
For how important this brand thing supposedly is, the game does a poo poo job of showing how it's progressing in people... but from this episode, it looks like it's either on the second-last or penultimate stage before people transform into a Cieth.

Also, what were the designers thinking, with that corridor to Hope? It was at least twice as long as it needed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

I was so looking forward to Hope chugging along on his glorified Thomas the Tank Engine too :(

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Finally caught up on the LP. You guys are doing god's work by playing through the game and dissecting it. I'm wondering though Artix, what is it that you really like about this game? Is it the combat?

Also, what if this game got a live-action movie adaptation? Who would be the best person to direct it?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Big Scary Owl posted:

Finally caught up on the LP. You guys are doing god's work by playing through the game and dissecting it. I'm wondering though Artix, what is it that you really like about this game? Is it the combat?

Also, what if this game got a live-action movie adaptation? Who would be the best person to direct it?

Remember the last two Final Fantasy movies? Spirits Within which nearly destroyed Square as a company, and Advent Children, which was pretty unremarkable, 13 as a film would probably finish off the company, and I say this as someone who likes the the 13 series, but 13 itself is nearly unplayable compared to the superior sequels.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

David Cage Uwe Boll Hideo Kojima.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

David Cage Uwe Boll Hideo Kojima.

I'm 100% confident that Uwe Boll would make this more entertaining than it is.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Michael Bay.
It will be very pretty, but the dialogue will be poo poo and the story even more poo poo.

It's like nothing will change.
Though I shudder at what would happen to Sazh.

And Hope or Snow will become the primary protagonist.

And Baby chocobo will get a voice and will be the tag team ebonics Comic Relief with Sazh.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 3, 2014

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Michael Bay.
It will be very pretty, but the dialogue will be poo poo and the story even more poo poo.

It's like nothing will change.
Though I shudder at what would happen to Sazh.

And Hope or Snow will become the primary protagonist.

And Baby chocobo will get a voice and will be the tag team ebonics Comic Relief with Sazh.

Lord that makes me sick just thinking about it.

It makes me even more terrified that if Tetris is being made into a movie, it is a real, terrifying possibility that this would get the green light.

Even more horrifying is if Peter Jackson gets his hands on it, and breaks it into a Trilogy. Not FFXIII, FFXIII-2 and FFX111-3, but like the Hobbit, a small story inflated and bloated into 3 movies.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

FeyerbrandX posted:

Lord that makes me sick just thinking about it.

It makes me even more terrified that if Tetris is being made into a movie, it is a real, terrifying possibility that this would get the green light.

Even more horrifying is if Peter Jackson gets his hands on it, and breaks it into a Trilogy. Not FFXIII, FFXIII-2 and FFX111-3, but like the Hobbit, a small story inflated and bloated into 3 movies.

Thing is that I can see the story breaks for ffxiii as a trilogy more easily than I can for the hobbit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Big Scary Owl posted:

Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
They did kind of write them into a corner with this supposed purpose to Eidolons.

And, I mean, is that just Pulse? Cid was definitely having a crisis of faith, but nothing showed up for him.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Big Scary Owl posted:

Part guilty pleasure, part that I really enjoy the combat. I also give it more credit than it really deserves for the story because I like the concept behind it, even if the execution is godawful.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Just a shame that an interesting concept doesn't save a poo poo execution.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 31: The Hunt Begins (Polsy) :siren:

Music

The Archylte Steppe
The Yaschas Massif

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

History and Myth: Cie'th Stones

L'Cie who fail their Foci become Cie'th, cursed to wander the wilds in a form of living death. Only after many years and much suffering do they extinguish the last of their strength and cease to roam. When this happens, the Cie'th's remains slowly fossilize, turning into what is known as a Cie'th Stone.

However, this transformation does not mark an end to the Cie'th's regret and sorrow at having failed. Even after having turned to stone the Cie'th cry out, imploring other l'Cie to fulfill the Focus they could not.

quote:

Locales: The Archylte Steppe

This great plain covers a vast expanse of Gran Pulse.

With an unobstructed view clear to the horizon, creatures can easily spot intruders into their territory. Perhaps this explains why so many beasts of the steppe are merciless predators—victors of the unending struggle for survival.

quote:

Locales: The Yaschas Massif

This mountain group stretches across a southern region of Gran Pulse. The area's geography is diverse, consisting of scenic highplains, sheer escarpments, and deep fault valleys, with mammoth fallen trees a common sight across its landscape.

At the massif's southernmost tip lies the ruin of the fallen city-state of Paddra. Once the flourishing center of an advanced culture, it is now nothing more than a Cie'th-infested archaeopolis.

quote:

Analect I: The Vanished Gods

Luminous lamented, for creation spiraled unto doom.

Stout fashioned earth, that future might take root.

Sage turned mind's eye inward, seeking truth profound.

Fool desired naught, and soon was made one with it.

Maker forged fal'Cie, from fragments Maker's own.

Maker forged Man, from traces once Divine.

In time the gods departed, leaving all by their hands wrought.

Fal'Cie were as Man forsaken, orphans of Maker absconded.

–Author unknown

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
The Archlyte Steppe really is just very pretty. It does a lot, I think, to give you the impression that Gran Pulse is just miles and away different than Cocoon in every way, both in design and in environment.

Also I hope you're doing all the hunts, because there's at least one later one that's hilarious.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
You're in the most open part of the game with complete choice of party members and you're not immediately using Sazh. I am disappointed, guys. :colbert:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
FFXIII would have been great if it were just like FFX in the way it designed its world, i.e. it's still linear but there are interesting areas and people you can meet and actual sidequests, etc. and like, things like actual towns or whatever where your party can take a break from running the gently caress around fighting all the time and you know, developing as characters like most RPGs do.

Instead it's just fightfightfightfight walk to X spot in the hallway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FF13 would've been better if they did the simple thing and not hide super important information behind codex

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FFXIII would've been better if they did the simple thing and done everything differently.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Final Fantasy XIII could have been done better if .*

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So uh I suppose the cieth are made of assets they had lying around too?

The stones look nothing like the giant burly monster from previous and the progression from human to monster to human like statue weirds my brain out a little. And why are they angels? Why are they all the same woman with bird wings? Was everyone who failed a focus a clone of a certain person? Are they actually some form of headstone or something? idgi

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mercifex is a verdeo germ relearsed by Bierwere, sterring Cermender Sherperd.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
"Mercifex" is more semi-Latin. It's a suffix meaning "creator", so your rank is currently "Creator of Mercy".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Final Fantasy XIII could have but didn't.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

idonotlikepeas posted:

"Mercifex" is more semi-Latin. It's a suffix meaning "creator", so your rank is currently "Creator of Mercy".

:confuoot:

Anyway, the next two videos are going to be more hunts and exploring the Yaschas Massif. Once we're done with that, I'm going to put up a poll asking how you guys want to handle hunts versus progress, but I'll go into more detail about that then. For now, let's have another Party Vote. I'll take the top 4 and put together a usable team that we haven't seen much of yet.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So hey, FF13 released on PC today, and I've got a couple announcements related to that. First, a trip report. This a very, very bare-bones port. There are no resolution or graphical options and the only settings you can change are fullscreen/windowed and Japanese/English voices (along with the text language of your choice). You are getting what is more or less an identical copy of the PS3 version, but on your PC. The sole difference as far as I can tell is that everything in-engine (battles, field movement, etc.) now runs at 60 FPS, although the prerendered stuff (CGI, certain cutscenes) is still 30 FPS.

Next, to celebrate the release, I'm going to give away a copy to one lucky viewer in the thread. Fortunately, the hard work seems to have been done for me. If you will all turn your attention to Page 34, you'll see that we have two people who have elected to play the "Not it!" game. My good friend and fellow bad JRPG enthusiast nine-gear crow is the second, and therefore last, person to say "Not it!" Therefore, it is my honor to declare him the winner of one brand new copy of FF13 on Steam. Let's all give him a big round of applause, everyone!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:getin:

Of course now you do know, Artix, that my commentary for Eden is just going to consist of me blasting an airhorn directly into my mic.

Also, I just survived Vellgander, for Christ sake. Haven't I suffered enough? :negative:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The LP has sadly not demystified the battle system and how it presents challenges etc, and while people are complaining it's not next gen enough it might run on my computer

I'm tempted but I do not have 60gb's for it, and I do know it'll be hours of skipping whiny cutscenes and tolerating vanille noises before really experiencing the battle system proper.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm 100% sure my computer could easily run Final Fantasy XIII.

I'm not 100% sure if my patience can tolerate it. In fact, I'm leaning towards "no". I think I'll keep using the LPer's suffering to teach me about the game.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Artix posted:

So hey, FF13 released on PC today, and I've got a couple announcements related to that. First, a trip report. This a very, very bare-bones port. There are no resolution or graphical options and the only settings you can change are fullscreen/windowed and Japanese/English voices (along with the text language of your choice). You are getting what is more or less an identical copy of the PS3 version, but on your PC. The sole difference as far as I can tell is that everything in-engine (battles, field movement, etc.) now runs at 60 FPS, although the prerendered stuff (CGI, certain cutscenes) is still 30 FPS.

You bought the game again? You shouldn't give Square Enix money for their bad games! :v:

Wonder if it will be easy to make mods for the game. Everyone get ready to brainstorm for terrible FFXIII mod ideas!

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Well, he did mention it was gifted to him, so.... :v:

I still can't wait until we get to XIII-2, since I actually played through that in its entirety. At least part of that game is fine, but the plot can go eat poo poo.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Artix posted:

Next, to celebrate the release, I'm going to give away a copy to one lucky viewer in the thread. Fortunately, the hard work seems to have been done for me. If you will all turn your attention to Page 34, you'll see that we have two people who have elected to play the "Not it!" game. My good friend and fellow bad JRPG enthusiast nine-gear crow is the second, and therefore last, person to say "Not it!" Therefore, it is my honor to declare him the winner of one brand new copy of FF13 on Steam. Let's all give him a big round of applause, everyone!

Why must you hurt crow :negative:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Big Scary Owl posted:

You bought the game again? You shouldn't give Square Enix money for their bad games! :v:

A very good point. Artix shouldn't waste money to get the game again, just on a different platform. That's why I wasted my money instead.

Honestly, the game is running way better on my laptop than it rightfully should. Worst that happens is that there's slowdown during the gameplay portions. Aside from that ridiculous file size and no way to turn down the graphics to avoid said lag, I really have no complaints about this port.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 32: Drakengard! :argh: (Polsy) :siren:

Bestiary

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Hey, you've found the Repeat button.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
As weird as this game is about earth damage, XII did something similar. The only ways to inflict it are through the 2-3 weapons that dealt it as a damage type.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Thats am interesting point brought up about Wind being the only element without a Bar and En spell. To the best of my knowledge 13-2 didn't fix this and in 13-3 Wind is a good staggering spell regardless of enemy resistances. Wonder why that is :tinfoil:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well its a bit of a change up from the other FFs. Switching the Element trinity to add water and make it a quadrity...quadrolty....whatever And having Wind and Quake the separate two.

I dont kniw why they left out Holy and Dark though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
XIII isn't the first to make an element quadrant; X also had Fire-Ice-Thunder-Water.

My guess is they left out Holy/Dark due to the fast-paced system of Staggering and the general lack of low-level spells of such nature in the franchise.

Earth is really the odd element out, it's never had three tiers like Fire/Ice/Thunder/Water/Aero, but it's never as good as Holy/Dark. It's just a middling element nobody really uses because if you have wings you avoid the thing completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They could have been cool spells. Doing a shitload ot of damage at the cost of decreasing the Stagger gauge/multiplier.

Or that could have been Ultima. Or Ultima tanks both numbers and holy/dark decrease on or the other.

I feel that this is a good Idea. Is it?

• Locked thread