Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 15: Why did we come here again? (Polsy) :siren:

Datalogs

quote:

Locales: The Coliseum

In a lost corner of the Void Beyond, there is a place where mighty souls gather. It is a testing ground for powerful warriors from every age and every reality, who come to pit their fighting skills against one another. On the Day of Reckoning, it is said these combatants will join the battle to end all battles.

Only one law governs the Coliseum — the weak serve the strong. The one that stands triumphant in this arena commands unswerving loyalty from the rest.

quote:

White Hole Gem

Countless flan are emerging from the gate in the Sunleth Waterscape and disrupting the balance of the ecosystem.

This fragment is the twin of the Black Hole Gem. It has the power to take monsters absorbed by a Black Hole Gem, generate a rift in spacetime, and disgorge those same monsters into a different era and place.

quote:

Amur's Sphere

We'd been having problems with our automated delivery system, and customers were complaining they didn't get their goods. For a virtual shop like us, this is a serious problem. Then again, I only started this as a hobby, so do I really care if we go under?

Well, anyway, we patched the problem by borrowing space on the Moogleworks system, which is why some of you have been greeted by the squeaky 'Welcome, kupo!'...Say, wouldn't it be wild if that shop was run by a real live moogle?

- Lenora's Garage Latest

quote:

The Sword of Lachesis

This is the prophecy told by Lachesis, messenger of the magic world.

Ragnarok the beast shall bring down Cocoon. After the War of Transgression, two girls from the far north shall come to Cocoon, the nest of Lindzei, and transform into the beast that destroys it. Until the end of time, this day shall be known as the Day of Ragnarok.

- The Book of Haerii

quote:

Extraordinary Egg

I still find it difficult to believe. Today, we uncovered a recording of Snow in the machine. There was nothing unusual about the image itself. We expected that Snow might be traveling the timeline. What shocked me was the brand. He bore the mark of a Gran Pulse l'Cie.

Since the catastrophe, the Pulse fal'Cie have had nothing to do with human affairs. They have shown no interest in attacking Cocoon, and they have no reason to make anybody a l'Cie. Which leaves only one possibility—Snow himself asked for the brand.

What is happening to Snow, in that distant future? What terrible need drove him to take the l'Cie brand?

- A Research Director's Notebook

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Wait... if Serah and Noel were carrying around the White Hole Gem the whole time, shouldn't flans have been popping out of their pockets or something? Since they hadn't stopped the dragon from eating flans yet.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

GeneralYeti posted:

Wait... if Serah and Noel were carrying around the White Hole Gem the whole time, shouldn't flans have been popping out of their pockets or something? Since they hadn't stopped the dragon from eating flans yet.

I asked this same question a page or two back. I think its another "we are thinking about this more then the developers did".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

GeneralYeti posted:

They're eating them, that's why you never see them eat or get hungry. Every really long loading screen is them having to stop and chow down on the flan buildup in their pockets.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How does a dragon eating flans and pooping them into another time period cause those flans to form a giant flan monster anyway? Wouldn't that flan monster form on the Steppe anyway then, since if the dragon ate that many then that many existed in the first place for it to eat?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Augus posted:

How does a dragon eating flans and pooping them into another time period cause those flans to form a giant flan monster anyway? Wouldn't that flan monster form on the Steppe anyway then, since if the dragon ate that many then that many existed in the first place for it to eat?

Look at all the poo poo that hangs out on the Archlyte Steppe. Most of them probably eat Flan for snacks.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Augus posted:

No, no. You see, the Black Hole/White Hole portal transports the flans across time AND space, thus they appear in the Sunleth Waterscape where they have no natural predators, allowing them all to survive long enough to converge because that is their natural instinct, and then the giant flan licks the giant crystal candy cane pillar because that is its natural instinct.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ramengank posted:

No, no. You see, the Black Hole/White Hole portal transports the flans across time AND space, thus they appear in the Sunleth Waterscape where they have no natural predators, allowing them all to survive long enough to converge because that is their natural instinct, and then the giant flan licks the giant crystal candy cane pillar because that is its natural instinct.

Like putting too much air into a balloon!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 16: The Hunters' Test (Polsy) :siren:

Datalogs

quote:

Goblin Fragment

The goblins that inhabit the Archylte Steppe of Pulse are highly intelligent carnivores who lay traps for their prey and hunt in packs. For this reason, they are a direct threat to the hunters who also live off the plains.

Climate change can cause a decline in prey and force the goblins to wander closer to human settlements in search of food. They love a good fight and like to pounce on unwary humans. We recommend staying in large groups when traversing goblin-infested lands.

quote:

Woolly Stone

We're the sheep of Gran Pulse
and our wool is the best,
We grow it this thick
so it keeps off the pests.
But the men chase us down
with scissors and shears,
And cut it all off
before it covers our ears.

Our Rough Wool is strong
and makes saddles and carpets,
Our Thick Wool makes hats
and booties and blankets.
But it's our fine Fluffy Wool
that holds them in thrall,
When plucked at the roots,
It's the best wool of all.

Its hard to be a sheep
out here on the plain,
Avoiding the hunters
is such a terrible strain.
Oh, I wish that just once
I could munch on some grass,
Without a man coming to pull
a tuft from my... side.

- The Melancholy of the Lambs

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 16, 2015

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Those sheep are cute.
bur the meter on thaat poem feels awkward.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 17: Chocobo Cannibalism (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Plains of Eternity
Plains of Eternity - Aggressive Mix

Lyrics posted:

Our prayers meet no matter where we’re going
In unison they beat the sky is glowing
Above our thoughts we’ll find a key together
To fill the day with all the things we treasure

A crystal view
I’ll follow you
An open gate
Invites me through

Our prayers meet no matter where we’re going
In unison they sing with love
Above our thoughts we’ll find a key together
To fill the day with all the

Things we treasure
All we treasure

A crystal view
I sing to you
And in my sleep
You softly speak

In stormy seas
Or sunny blue
I’ll remember
To trust in you

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 16, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It seems Destro's Weather Dominator is directly responsible for all those hunter deaths, if you read that goblin profile. Global Warming is still a thing even though the Weather Dominator avoids those problems.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 18: Trans-Dimensional Bowels (Polsy) :siren:

Datalogs

quote:

Black Hole Gem

A stone recovered from inside a faeryl. This substance was responsible for summoning up a tempest, sucking up huge numbers of monsters, and sending them flying to another spacetime.

Faeryl monsters like to swallow crystals that sit in their stomachs and ignite the flames they breathe from their mouths. This particular monster must have swallowed the fragment by mistake, thinking it another crystal.

quote:

Mutantomato Fragment

Mutantomatoes are flan mutations that arose suddenly in Cocoon's Sunleth Waterscape nature preserve. Researchers believe that the creatures feed on the crystal latticework that runs through the interior of Cocoon and helps support it in the sky.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 16, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 19: gently caress Academia 400 (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Threat Level Omega
Chaotic Guardian

Datalogs

quote:

Paradoxes: Proto Fal'Cie Adam

ACADEMY DATANET FILE

The Proto fal'Cie Adam is an artificial fal'Cie that oversees the city of Academia.

This man-made entity handles all of the roles previously filled by the Cocoon fal'Cie. Adam is an all-powerful being who protects the lives and interests of the citizenry — a fal'Cie for the people.

quote:

Locales: Academia

ACADEMY DATANET FILE

Academia is the capital city of the settlements that have sprung up around the base of Cocoon's pillar, and the location of the Academy Headquarters.

Construction of Academia began approximately four hundred years ago. Later, the artificial fal'Cie Adam was completed and set to oversee the running of the city.

Academia is protected by a highly advanced security system. In the event that intruders enter the city, a range of countermeasures will be set in motion to contain and eliminate the threat.

quote:

Zenobia Fragment

Zenobia is one of the fearsome group of Cie'th known as the 'Undying.' After descending upon the Haerii Archaeopolis and wreaking untold havoc, she disappeared from the pages of history.

In 400 AF, Zenobia was summoned through a crack in spacetime by the Proto fal'Cie Adam, and became the harbinger of death for the seeress Yeul. It is said this moment was 'seen' and recorded within an Oracle Drive.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 16, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Why? Why, after all the poo poo the fal'Cie have done to humanity in the realm of loving Over Stupid Human Insects, would you go an MAKE an artificial fal'Cie of your own? And not only that, WHY would you make it look like loving Anima of all things?

You guys remember Anima right? The prick who started off this whole bullshit escapade back in OG XIII? THAT motherfucker?

...gently caress this, just let Cocoon fall. If this is what we're getting, Noel deserves to be the last of humanity.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Something I've been meaning to ask: do you guys actually like the Sunleth Waterscape song? I really can't tell what's sarcasm, what's genuine appreciation, and what's Stockholm Syndrome anymore.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I feel that Zozo is a worse town. Some of the worst enemies for your level appear and will wreck your face. It is also a thief town, so your stuff will get stolen. It has a second area that is worse.

If they are able to create beings with the power to mutate people, then why couldn't they create them without it?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I like the massive overreaction the as of yet unnamed Fal'cie is having towards Serah and Noel's appearence, turn everybody into Cie'th just to kill two people, we do find out the reasons as to why he's freaking out so much, but it still doesn't excuse Random Encounters: the City.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Judge Tesla posted:

I like the massive overreaction the as of yet unnamed Fal'cie is having towards Serah and Noel's appearence, turn everybody into Cie'th just to kill two people, we do find out the reasons as to why he's freaking out so much, but it still doesn't excuse Random Encounters: the City.

The reason is time travel, isn't it? As in, the boss fight with mechAnima is before 400?
Although, why doesn't the fal'Cie turn Serah and Noel into l'Cie? Or rather, is it going to be explained why it can't?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I feel that Zozo is a worse town. Some of the worst enemies for your level appear and will wreck your face. It is also a thief town, so your stuff will get stolen. It has a second area that is worse.

If they are able to create beings with the power to mutate people, then why couldn't they create them without it?

At least Zozo gives you experience.

Academia 400AF gives you absolutely nothing but wasted time.

The only way it could have been worse would be if every encounter was unavoidable and it had that blaring klaxon from the Ruins of Home in FFX throughout.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Omobono posted:

The reason is time travel, isn't it? As in, the boss fight with mechAnima is before 400?
Although, why doesn't the fal'Cie turn Serah and Noel into l'Cie? Or rather, is it going to be explained why it can't?

Good question. Well, we see that Adam recognizes Serah was at one point a l'Cie herself when her and Noel emerge from the gate. It spots the remnant of her brand on her arm and goes into panic mode. And, as we've seen with Fang and Vanille, there is a precedent for people being re-l'Cie-ed even if they've already completed a Focus or while they were already the l'Cie to another fal'Cie.

When Anima turns the party over to Pulse to be branded at the start of OG XIII, Vanille (who's already a l'Cie at that point), gets re-branded and her original Focus overwritten.

Though the real reason Adam didn't just up and Cie'th Serah and Noel is of course, as always, the Almighty Plot, that's why :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't know, it feels kind of appropiate that all these fights are weak and pointless. You are killing countless civilians, who have no choice but to fight you.

And Square Enix is actually a good publisher for a while now. Pretty much all of my favorite games of that time where published by them.
-Just Cause 2
-Human Revolution
-Sleeping Dogs
-Nier
-Tomb Raider

Sure, they also made Final Fantasy 13. But that's an exception.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 28, 2015

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I fully expected the audio for this section to be nothing but half an hour of anguished screaming.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

I don't know, it feels kind of appropiate that all these fights are weak and pointless. You are killing countless civilians, who have no choice but to fight you.

And Square Enix is actually a good publisher for a while now. Pretty much all of my favorite games of that time where published by them.
-Just Cause 2
-Human Revolution
-Sleeping Dogs
-Nier
-Tomb Raider

No, it's the proof. Square's a great publisher, they're just a :mediocre: developer.

Also, if you're looking for an example of "how modern Square would handle the single-digit Final Fantasies", then I invite you to look at Dissidia and its sequel. You give the classic FF protagonists and antagonist actual voice actors and suddenly Kuja's insufferable, yet Kefka is still amazing :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

The only way it could have been worse would be if every encounter was unavoidable and it had that blaring klaxon from the Ruins of Home in FFX throughout.

And it also takes away CP after every fight.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

nine-gear crow posted:

No, it's the proof. Square's a great publisher, they're just a :mediocre: developer.

Also, if you're looking for an example of "how modern Square would handle the single-digit Final Fantasies", then I invite you to look at Dissidia and its sequel. You give the classic FF protagonists and antagonist actual voice actors and suddenly Kuja's insufferable, yet Kefka is still amazing :allears:

All the actual talent in Square is working on FF14.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

And the Flanitors from FFXIII sewers sirens.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

FeyerbrandX posted:

And the Flanitors from FFXIII sewers sirens.

Don't you dare disparage the Flanitors.

Also this city is Beautiful in the rain! What a spectacular location! Any other game in this space would be amazing. Somehow it becomes a hell of strange obstacles and boring battles that are mostly loading times. I am amazed at the talent behind Square-Enix's developers that can still result in utter tripe.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I will defend large chunks of this game. gently caress Academia 400.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

-Just Cause 2
-Human Revolution
-Sleeping Dogs
-Nier
-Tomb Raider

Our saving grace is that they only publish those games. None of those are made in house. (Idk about Nier though. Who did the original one?)

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Our saving grace is that they only publish those games. None of those are made in house. (Idk about Nier though. Who did the original one?)

Nier was made by the now-defunct Cavia. The new one is being developed by Platinum Games and produced by Yoko Taro, who was also the producer of the first game, as well as the Drakengard series. By all accounts this will be the first time this guy gets a considerable budget and staff who knows what they're doing. Considering the batshit insanity of the previous games, Powers That Be have us in their mercy.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 29, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wow. Platinum is really getting around with their freelance work arent they?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

Why? Why, after all the poo poo the fal'Cie have done to humanity in the realm of loving Over Stupid Human Insects, would you go an MAKE an artificial fal'Cie of your own?

I can sort of follow their initial logic - Cocoon was designed to be run by AI, after all.

But why the HELL would you make your artificial fal'Cie able to turn people in mindless monsters?

To me, that seems like the first line of code you'd remove.

Fal'Cie Operating Task list:
  • run large city
  • purify water
  • open doors
  • turn people into mindless monsters

Gee, Bob, I'm kinda unsure about that last one. Should we delete it?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I can sort of follow their initial logic - Cocoon was designed to be run by AI, after all.

In fact, it makes so much sense that they literally salvaged some of Eden's AI cores for Adam. They didn't just build a fal'Cie to run Cocoon, they took it straight from the fal'Cie that originally ran it. :eng101:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

In fact, it makes so much sense that they literally salvaged some of Eden's AI cores for Adam. They didn't just build a fal'Cie to run Cocoon, they took it straight from the fal'Cie that originally ran it. :eng101:

And given what a duplicitous bitch Eden was ON HISTORICAL RECORD as being, Adam probably inherited her personality when they plugged in her AI cores, so he probably hid the "turn people into mindless monsters" directives from the Academia overseers while snickering at their stupidity.

You would think that once the true details of the Sanctum's collapse came to light, anything even remotely associated with Orphan, Eden, and Barthandelus would have become incredibly taboo subjects and objects, no? Oh wait, nevermind, that requires actual thinking to assume. My bad. Sorry, FFXIII-2.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 29, 2015

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

:cripes: that's stupid. Is humanity in 400 years going to look back, see how we've left Hitler or Stalin's brain in a storage locker collecting dust and say 'what a horrible crime against humanity, let's build it a new nigh-omnipotent body... For science!'

I take that back. Eden wasn't really Hitler or anything, more like a Himmler, or Goering.

But still, that idiot ought to have known better. At least give Robopope a new body with the big-head cheat set on max.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

But still, that idiot ought to have known better. At least give Robopope a new body with the big-head cheat set on max.

https://youtu.be/YorXKF88d5o?t=2m55s :newlol:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I just

They said

Then she

:psyduck:

HOW DOES THIS GAME MAKE EVEN LESS SENSE THAN BEFORE?!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Shei-kun posted:

I just

They said

Then she

:psyduck:

HOW DOES THIS GAME MAKE EVEN LESS SENSE THAN BEFORE?!

If you change the future you change the past if you change the past you change the future and you paradoxed the forbidden history in the future past and so david bowie is making magic skynet something something yuel died again

:kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Archenteron posted:

If you change the future you change the past if you change the past you change the future and you paradoxed the forbidden history in the future past and so david bowie is making magic skynet something something yuel died again

:kheldragar:

I can't wait for when this did make sense.

• Locked thread