Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

No joke, I would be interesting in further scholarly analysis of the clock puzzles. (Technically Hamiltonian path problems are NP-complete, but that class of problems is a subset of NP-hard problems and thus that's enough pedantry from someone who's focused more on probability.)

Edit: Update on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shame they did not have enough Chocobucks to ride the Red Chocobo.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

but this game only allows you to pick up like 3? sidequests at once, so you wouldn't have been able to have done them all at once anyways.:v:

What? No, I don't think that's right at all, I'm pretty sure you can just pick up all the sidequests you want.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can only have 2 active sidequests in an area/time at once. I have no idea why they imposed this limit because you rarely can have more than 2, but when you can it's really annoying.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Oh hey, I completely forgot about the loving clock puzzles. For good reason, because I can't figure these goddamn things out in the slightest. Gonna agree with Fedule here, gently caress clock puzzles.

I am also rather sad we didn't have enough Chocofood to ride the Chocobo. I could have sworn it drained them at a slower rate than one a second, though...

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
If you do have that paper, I'd like to see it for myself. Part of me simply can't believe that a game this awful can be the basis for an academic paper.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Morroque posted:

If you do have that paper, I'd like to see it for myself. Part of me simply can't believe that a game this awful can be the basis for an academic paper.

I've got some bad news for you about the average student in a cs department.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Air is lava! posted:

Wow that was exactly what I was about to post. Including the part about mostly focusing on probability theory.

And technically there might be a way to find a polynomial algorithm for solving that problem. But I am confident that literally no one who reads this thread will find that.
:toxx: If someone sends me a complete algorithm to find hamiltonian paths which runs in polynomial time I will pay him a thousand dollars. :toxx:

Well, if it's just for this specific set of them in the game and the game is sufficiently moddable, a couple instructions jumping the entire segment whenever it appears would solve the problem in the most efficient manner possible

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 18, 2015

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
^^^^ Yes, I guess. Luckily I didn't specify, so I asked for a general solution.

NGDBSS posted:

No joke, I would be interesting in further scholarly analysis of the clock puzzles. (Technically Hamiltonian path problems are NP-complete, but that class of problems is a subset of NP-hard problems and thus that's enough pedantry from someone who's focused more on probability.)

Wow that was exactly what I was about to post. Including the part about mostly focusing on probability theory.

And technically there might be a way to find a polynomial algorithm for solving that problem. But I am confident that literally no one who reads this thread will find that.
:toxx: If someone sends me a complete algorithm to find hamiltonian paths which runs in polynomial time I will pay him a thousand dollars. :toxx:

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 18, 2015

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Shei-kun posted:

All I know about the plot of this game is that I gave up trying to make sense of it a few videos ago and my mental health has greatly improved as a result of this decision.
Well as someone slowly collapsing into total psychological meltdown, I'm enjoying working out what the gently caress just happened.

In this case, it's good to start with what Hope mentions. Some time after 10AF, Hope discovers a Chaos drive with a recording on it. In this recording, Serah is shouting angrily at Hope for making an Artificial Fal'Cie. This makes Hope think about that brown envelope file with "Top Secret Artificial Fal'Cie Project" scrawled on it he has hidden in his top drawer and he decides to shred it and come up with a different plan. He finds out about this thing called the 13th Arc and decides to put himself into suspended animation until it's about to appear, in order to try to make a new Cocoon to stop the collapse of the old one from killing everyone.

In Serah and Noel's personal experience, after portalling out of a (paradoxical) 300AF Sunlieth Waterscape, they arrive in a version of 400AF where such an Artificial Fal'Cie exists. They are thoroughly miserable here, and are informed by a fake version of Caius that they shouldn't be there, because they should have been imprisoned back in 200AF. So they see their presence in 400AF as paradoxical. Serah is worried that it's not even something or some phenomenon that is a paradox but simply their arrival that distorts the timeline, but Yeul lets them know that the timeline was already distorted so she shouldn't worry about it.

They go back to 200AF (detouring via 300AF because artificial gameplay lengthening reasons) to find out that Adam, the Fal'Cie that's being constructed in the tower, is actually being built by a future version of Adam that's sending data back from 400AF. This helps alleviate Serah's existential uncertainties, because now they know for a fact that there's a real closed loop that's not of their making. So Serah... sends a message to Hope via an Oracle Drive image. Since this message stops the Fal'Cie from ever being constructed, this confirms that the paradox is real, and so both 200AF and the previous 400AF collapse into Chaos.

So although in their personal experiences of time Serah and Noel have been through a number of different worlds, actually every world between 1XAF Yaschas Massif and 40XAF Academia has turned out to be paradoxical. Serah and Noel disappeared from the timeline after meeting Hope, and arrive in Academia shortly after Hope does. And that's literally all that has happened. Everything else is a detour into impossible alternate realities.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Funny enough I have seen stranger things discussed with rigor in academic papers. Such as, I poo poo you not, a mathematical theory of drunkenness.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I've got some bad news for you about the average student in a cs department.

Oh, I understand that part. I'm just wondering who published it.

... aside from SIGBOVIK.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The article in question: Counting and Solving Final Fantasy XIII-2's Clock Puzzles

He implemented his solution in Matlab because of course he did.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Huh, that is surprisingly well written. It feels kind of interesting, that N=5 always has a solution, while N=4 or N>5 do not.

Fedule posted:

He implemented his solution in Matlab because of course he did.

It's a brute force algorithm. There wont be a huge difference in performance or style anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This guy also made a calculator that brute forces its way through all the variables in the clock path and gives you the correct one automatically.

E: Basically ^^^

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

GeneralYeti posted:

Oh hey, I completely forgot about the loving clock puzzles. For good reason, because I can't figure these goddamn things out in the slightest. Gonna agree with Fedule here, gently caress clock puzzles.

I am also rather sad we didn't have enough Chocofood to ride the Chocobo. I could have sworn it drained them at a slower rate than one a second, though...

To be fair, it's not exactly one a second, it's closer to one every ten or fifteen seconds. Even so, that's still a pretty hefty price to pay considering that it still costs you one just to get on the thing at all, and you have to make a minimum of two laps around the place. BUT you can't use Mog's power while on a chocobo, so every time you come up to an invisible chest you have to get off, use his power, then get back on (which costs you another Gysahl Green). Basically no matter how you slice it, it's just totally inefficient to use the chocobos here.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly didn't mind the clock puzzles for some reason. Some were tough maybe, but I don't think I had to go to some website to solve the random ones.

Granted this was years ago, so maybe I forgot or the bullshit was eclipsed by other aspects of the game. Or maybe it's because I'm odd and like Killer Sudoku and Nonograms and other things like that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

GeneralYeti posted:

They did mention some artifact or something that reduces the drain. My guess is a forced-feeding one.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hahaha this game is amazing

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Artix posted:

To be fair, it's not exactly one a second, it's closer to one every ten or fifteen seconds. Even so, that's still a pretty hefty price to pay considering that it still costs you one just to get on the thing at all, and you have to make a minimum of two laps around the place. BUT you can't use Mog's power while on a chocobo, so every time you come up to an invisible chest you have to get off, use his power, then get back on (which costs you another Gysahl Green). Basically no matter how you slice it, it's just totally inefficient to use the chocobos here.

There's a hidden mechanic that is mentioned nowhere else in the game, I only know it because I have the guide. The more fragments you have in total, the longer it takes for the chocobo to chew through one green. I think at maximum fragments it's like a full 45 seconds or something like that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm playing XIII-2 for the first time, aiming for all the Fragments (at 138/160) and my view of this game is as bipolar as the game itself. I go from loving it to hating it.

My only regret is letting my anger at XIII stop me from playing this. Personal trivia, I played XIII right when XIII-2 first came out here, fully thinking "all those haters are wrong! I'm gonna love this game and I'm gonna preorder the sequel!" Then the second half of XIII happened and the ending happened and suddenly I had no desire to indulge in more FFXIIII.

It was a terrible mistake on my part. If nothing else, XIII-2 is a lot more fun to play than XIII was.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 26: Crazy...Flan? (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Crazy Chocobo

quote:

:rock: Lyrics :rock:

GAS 'EM UP WITH THE GREENS AND LET 'EM GO!
STAND BACK, STAND CLEAR AS HE PUTS ON THE SHOW!
SO CUTE YET FIERCE, IS HE FROM HELL?
I CANNOT TELL, YET I DON'T EVEN WANNA KNOW

SO YOU WANNA BE A TRAILBLAZER
KICK UP DIRT LIKE A HELLRAISER
TAKE THE REINS, BUT DON'T REACT SLOW
IT'S TIME TO FEEL THE FORCE - OF THE CHOCOBO!

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN RIDE THIS CHOCOBO?
GOT CHOCOBUCKS? YOU BETTER PUT 'EM ON THE CHOCOBO!
SADDLE UP IF YOU THINK YOU CAN RIDE IN THIS RODEO
ARE WE IN HELL? I DUNNO! TO THE DIRT, LET'S ROLL!

COME IF YOU THINK YOU GONNA HIDE THIS CHOCOBO
EVERYBODY'S GONNA WANT TO RIDE YOUR CHOCOBO
IT'S CHOCO-LOCO STYLE IN THE CHOCO-RODEO
GONNA RIDE HIM STRAIGHT THROUGH HELL IN THE CHOCOBO RODEO!

YEAH, LET'S RIIIIIIIDE!

Datalogs

quote:

Miniflan Fragment

The self-styled miniflan musketeers are a gang of five kinds of flan who somehow acquired self-awareness. The group consists of cool Blue, emo Black, lady Pink, mischievous Yellow, and their hot-blooded leader, Red.

Red is a regular miniflan. As for the others, it is not clear if they will turn the same color as they age. In any case, scientists are praying that they won't grow any bigger.

quote:

Graviton Core Eta

So here I am, in the Void Beyond. I heard there's some kind of coliseum place up ahead. I've got something I need to do there.

All I have to do is climb on Shiva and head straight in. Only one thing I'm worried about... What exactly is that Caius guy up to?

quote:

Lapis Lazuli

In the future, Fang and I are called the 'daughters of the goddess,' right? It's kind of embarrassing, to be honest.

When they say goddess, I guess they mean Etro. I remember her. When Fang and I first tried to hold up Cocoon, we felt this... kindly strength, surrounding us. It was the same feeling as back when I first turned to crystal.

I bet Fang doesn't remember it as well as me, but I think maybe it was the goddess we felt. Although the priests back home always made her out to be much scarier than that. So maybe I'm wrong?

quote:

Heliodor Ore

While we're here, sleeping inside the pillar that holds up Cocoon, Lightning is fighting to protect Etro. I wonder why. Etro is a cruel goddess. She sends Eidolons to persecute dying l'Cie and slaughters her 'children' as carelessly as we swat flies.

I don't really know what Lightning's game is, but I can tell you this. She's in a really bad place. Once she set foot in there, she had no way to get out. It's hard for her to be heard while she's in there, too. So, Serah, you've got to help. Listen to your heart — you might hear Lightning if you do.

quote:

Carnelian

Hope visited again. We always know when he does. He comes to check on the pillar. Fang and I are lost in our dreams, but even so, we know when our friends are close. We can feel them in our hearts.

We're fine here, inside the crystal. But I worry about the future. I... I caused so much trouble for the people of Cocoon. And for Serah, and her sister, and their friends and family. Hope, we're counting on you to save the future and stop the tragedy from happening all over again!

quote:

Celestine

That idiot Snow is hell-bent on going to the Coliseum. There's nothing there, except dead fools fighting for a glory that no one will ever know. Is he really that obsessed with becoming strong? The worst part is, he's doing it for our sake.

I really wish we could tell him to forget about us and help Serah and Lightning. It was our fault they got caught up in this mess in the first place. If things keep going the way they are, maybe our nightmares'll come true, and those two girls won't ever see each other again.

quote:

Cosmo Aura

Serah, can you hear me? Fang and I just had the most wonderful dream. We were in a place I didn't know, with a young man and woman who I've never met. They were laughing together, enjoying the moment. They were so happy.

When I think that we're helping to build a future for people like that, the weight of Cocoon doesn't seem that heavy at all. Fang and I are here inside the crystal, but even so, we can feel you in our hearts. So, Serah, don't give up, okay? You can make a future where everyone can be happy again. I know you can.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

While playing this game, this was my first experience with Crazy Chocobo, and it was as amazing this time as it was back then. Just confusion -> awe -> gently caress YES.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I don't even know how to react to this. :stare:

It's something I'd expect from a parody song, not an actual in-game track.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AradoBalanga posted:

:magical:

That's how

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Crazy Chocobo no doubt came from the "gently caress it, let's have fun and pisstake ourselves/the series" camp of XIII-2's development team. They slipped it in under the radar before the "let's make a serious sequel to the equally serious FFXIII, seriously guys, we're serious" camp realized what was happening.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

It's something I'd expect from a parody song, not an actual in-game track.

Why is this not the music for riding my FF14 chocobo?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Crazy Chocobo no doubt came from the "gently caress it, let's have fun and pisstake ourselves/the series" camp of XIII-2's development team. They slipped it in under the radar before the "let's make a serious sequel to the equally serious FFXIII, seriously guys, we're serious" camp realized what was happening.
Given the song's placement in the game, that is a very logical explanation.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

I vaguely remember there being an internet shitstorm before the game came out about how they ruined the soundtrack because of Crazy Chocobo, and I just look back at those fools and laugh.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GeneralYeti posted:

I vaguely remember there being an internet shitstorm before the game came out about how they ruined the soundtrack because of Crazy Chocobo, and I just look back at those fools and laugh.

I went from irrationally hating XIII-2's soundtrack before actually siting down and listening to it, to it being one of my favorite Final Fantasy soundtracks, probably up there with X and VII's. It's a weird and experimental album to be sure, but it's probably one of the better aspects of the game overall.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

XIII-2's OST is as bipolar as the rest of it. I would say, on the whole, it isn't quite as good as XIII's but it has some tracks I love more than anything from XIII. It also has the experimental quality you mentioned, which really sets it apart from most FF albums.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm almost a little sad that my first exposure to Crazy Chocobo was not a serene little forest scene that complete juxtaposes everything. It's still completely out of nowhere and not fitting at all but it doesn't play during fights in that certain area :(

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It was an appropriate choice of music in a forest setting where flan gather.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Finally this song came up, all the "ride the chocobo" references always made me grin knowing this was coming up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So in this video, Serah and Noel help find some cute lost flans. They then immediately turn around and murder a bunch of those flans. Hooray?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I mean, in most RPGs and the like you are trying to protect human beings. You do this by killing other human beings.

IT'S A PARADOX.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

NikkolasKing posted:

IT'S A PARADOX.

So we should fix it by killing something? Or possibly yelling at someone.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Schwartzcough posted:

So in this video, Serah and Noel help find some cute lost flans. They then immediately turn around and murder a bunch of those flans. Hooray?
I am not racist, but this is what happens when you help monsters.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm still catching up and am about to finis the FF XIII videos. I remember that, at one point, you'd be interesting to see someone work with this concept in a better way. While it could just be me making connections were none exist, some of the setting shares elements with the trpg Exalted which, while not known for having good mechanics, is lauded for having an evocative setting. It's not one to one, but I saw some similarities.

Edit: To go into more detail, it has that little-gods-manage-everything-in-the-world thing as well as people being both blessed and cursed into higher beings (Exalted) by the gods (instead of going Cei'th, they lose themselves a bit to an extreme vice such as anger which can turn them into mass murders if their limit breaks. Except for Lunar Exalted who practically do turn Cei'th, IIRC). You also have a higher plane of gods called Primordials. Big difference: instead of the gods wanting to return them to free them from their existence, the gods made Exalted to kill them which, in turn, hosed up the cosmology of the universe and screwed up the afterlife. Like I said, not perfect, but, if you want to see an rpg that runs with a similar conceit, but does it well, this is an option.

Also, liking the LP guys. Looking forward to the XIII-2 videos as I actually liked that game.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 23, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 27: The Beginning of the End (Polsy) :siren:

Bonus: Paradox Ending - The Future is Hope

Datalogs

quote:

Paradoxes: Paradoxes and Memory

Something strange is happening to Noel's memory. The affected parts appear to be anything related to Yeul, Caius, and the history of Cocoon's fall.

The problem is not with Noel—interference in history has destabilized the past, giving rise to another type of paradox effect.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Final_Fantasy_Thirteen_two.jpg

• Locked thread