Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Artix posted:

Yo so how do you guys want me to do Paradox Endings? I have another one recorded and I'm going to try and get the last one that I can before beating the game, do you want me to just kinda toss them out when it's vaguely appropriate or when I have them done? Because really, they don't have any context to the rest of the game and they don't really need any context.

Do them whenever you are ready and able I'd say, the bulk of them require you to do stuff like fight Atlas at full power or use the Paradox Scope, as mentioned, before specific boss fights..

And let me tell you, full power Atlas hits rather hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That's actually the one I'm uploading right now :v:

E: I'm asking more along of the lines of "Do you want me to post them as soon as I record them or when it would be kind of appropriate (ie posting the Atlas ending when we do a Bresha Ruins video)?"

Artix fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 3, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Artix posted:

That's actually the one I'm uploading right now :v:

E: I'm asking more along of the lines of "Do you want me to post them as soon as I record them or when it would be kind of appropriate (ie posting the Atlas ending when we do a Bresha Ruins video)?"

That sounds good to me. If you're running through the area once over again then showing the paradox as the capper makes the most sense to me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I took on Atlas after the Long Gui so it wasn't much of a problem.

But yeah I agree with the other recommendations about the Paradox Endings.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I'm all for having them injected at random times and completely out of context, but it would probably serve for better LP flow to bundle them with the related area, especially from an archival standpoint.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

When has context or flow been a part of the game? Just throw them in at random.

Heck, inject them into the FFXIII - 1 playlist helter skelter.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Save them for when appropriate, I'd say. Toss up paradox endings you can get from a certain boss after you do that boss fight, if you can, and ones we've passed up you should save until we do something tangentially related to the subject.

I'd actually suggest putting the Atlas paradox ending right after the first Bresha Ruins videos in the episode list, even though it's done much later.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So just for reference since a couple people have said to put them with their relevant boss fight, I've recorded Atlas and Royal Ripeness. The remaining boss-based ones are Adam and the three Caius fights with the final two endings being dialogue choices, none of which can be gotten until postgame. So if that's worth anything for putting them in context, there ya go.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what you're saying is you haven't gotten the BEST paradox ending yet? :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, I'd say put them with their relevant bossfight. Just include a little spiel at the start on how you're Artix from the futuuuuuure! and this happened later down the timeline and blah blah. Make it a meta-joke for people in the archive.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 30: Donald Trump presents: The Monster Hunter (Polsy) :siren:

Bonus: Paradox Ending - Heir to Chaos

Music

Noel's Theme ~ Final Journey

quote:

Lyrics

Long ago
When I was just a boy
So alone then
Last of my kind in the world
I believed futures could be reborn
I would go back in time
Change what's to come

Hunting, searching for futures I've dreamed
Ever chasing, believing visions unseen
Hearing that hope is futile
Only inspires me not to give up

Valhalla is calling me to the end
I can hear now the beating hearts of lost friends
Pushing me to not forget them
As the last hunter, I'll find the key

Countless Partings

Datalogs

quote:

People: Serah Farron

Serah began her journey through time to search for her sister, Lightning, who somehow slipped through the cracks of history. She is a gentle person at heart, but shows her strength of will when faced with difficulty or hardship.

During the events leading up to her departure from New Bodhum, Serah was 'blessed' with the ability to see changes to the future—a power known as the 'Eyes of Etro'. This power has its source in the chaotic realm of Valhalla, and each ripple in history drains a little more of her life force.

Even knowing the danger in which this puts her, Serah is determined to accompany Noel as they strive to make changes and bring hope for the world of tomorrow.

quote:

People: Noel Kreiss

Noel is the last child of humanity, born in a world 700 years after the catastrophe. He is the hunter from the future who encouraged Serah to step out of the present and into the flow of time.

Noel is one of the Farseer tribe, and became the seeress Yeul's protector at a young age. The earnest hunter yearned to best Caius in combat, but was abandoned by his mentor before he had the chance to prove himself. Finally, unable to save Yeul from her mortal fate, Noel was left alone, the last human on earth.

Noel refused to give in to despair, and when he reached out his hand to Etro, the goddess sent him to Valhalla to meet with Lightning. Thus began Noel and Serah's mission to save the future.

quote:

People: Yeul

Yeul is a seeress, burdened with the power of prophecy—her life span grows shorter with every vision of the future. She dies at a young age, only to be born once more among the Farseer people. Each reincarnation has the same appearance and ability, and is given the name 'Yeul'.

The Yeul who Noel befriends is the last seeress. She promises the young hunter that they will meet again, before breathing her last. The last vision she sees is not one of despair, but of hope.

quote:

History and Myth: Guardians

The warriors who accompany and protect the seeress Yeul are chosen from among the most capable of the Farseer people.

A Guardian is the strongest of these, a defender that wields the power of chaos. This power is said to surpass even the godlike might of the fal'Cie.

Only one true Guardian is permitted to exist at any one time. Another protector of the Farseer tribe who challenges and defeats the champion becomes the new Guardian and wielder of chaotic energy.

quote:

History and Myth: Heart of Chaos

The Heart of Chaos is the goddess Etro's own heart, given to Caius. It is the font of the immortal Guardian's power. Only if another potential Guardian defeats him and takes this power can Caius truly be killed. And the only person remaining in this world with that potential is Noel.

If the new Guardian has enough strength of will, he can release the Heart's power and put an end to immortal destiny. If he wavers, however, he will be enslaved in chains of chaos, and become the latest in a line of eternal servants.

quote:

History and Myth: Eyes of Etro

The 'Eyes of Etro' is another name given to Yeul's power to see changes in the timeline. Not restricted to the past or future, Yeul can witness any period in history. This ability is associated with the power of chaos, and is thus seen as a blessing of the goddess. The fact that Serah shares this ability is a sign that she has come under the gaze of Etro at some point in the past.

Every time a seeress has a vision, a part of her life force is drained away. For this reason, all the Yeuls in history have died before their twentieth birthdays. The Eyes of Etro cannot be voluntarily closed, and most often when history undergoes a significant upheaval. Noel is afraid that every change they make during their journey is eating away a little more of Serah's life span.

quote:

Gogmagog Fragment Gamma

The legends are not clear on the reason why Gogmagog searches for an escape from the Void Beyond. Some say that what he truly seeks is oblivion. Should he find a way out and be reunited with his lost half, only then will he find release.

A certain passage in the legend reads thusly: 'Gogmagog once believed he had found his missing half within the Void Beyond - it was, however, but a shadow of his past self, searching endlessly through the mists of time.'

Artix fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 21, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's so dense, every single image has so many things going on...

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I would be down for a Moogle Dance Army ending.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The behemoth is the greatest of feasts.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 4, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Judge Tesla posted:

But this would mean not hearing anymore of Caius's voice, and that is a fate worse than death.

Senerio posted:

On the other side, that would mean not having to hear anything else Caius SAYS, and that's the best possible outcome.

So what you're saying is that it truly was a paradox ending.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Scalding Coffee posted:

Was it a joke that Gargamel was a recurring boss? An hour after meeting him and a few more for his palette swap and they have yet to show up like some random encounter.

Gogmagog heard you were talking poo poo :whatup:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Was Godmadog, Noel's Nightmare? I guess because of how unnatural it looked and it did make an early appearance like the Mani Mani.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
The feast was planned for Caius, Noel, Yeul, a Yeul from a different timeline, a Yuel who liked ketchup with behemoth, a Yeul that was vegetarian, a Yeul who preferred Behemoth with a side of Flan, and about 1000 other Yeuls.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

pichupal posted:

The feast was planned for Caius, Noel, Yeul, a Yeul from a different timeline, a Yuel who liked ketchup with behemoth, a Yeul that was vegetarian, a Yeul who preferred Behemoth with a side of Flan, and about 1000 other Yeuls.

that can't be right I didn't see a Yeul log

(it's probably because I haven't gotten to the end of the thread, or indeed to XIII-2)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Paradox Ending: A Giant Mistake :siren:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just imagine that the other side had giant weapons on the screen because Atlas was already hurting the frame rate.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 31: A Shocking Reveal (Polsy) :siren:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Caius was Miang the whole time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'm guessing it'll never get explained how or why Caius "killed them but not really and actually sent them to a dream world for reasons"?

So anyway, people rag on this game a lot for being stupidly easy unless you skip all encounters, but random enemies seem to kill your guys on a regular basis (and presumably you've played the game before and really know what you're doing). Is it just that death is so trivial, and you get fully healed after battles? Or is the easiness of the game exaggerated?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm guessing it'll never get explained how or why Caius "killed them but not really and actually sent them to a dream world for reasons"?

So anyway, people rag on this game a lot for being stupidly easy unless you skip all encounters, but random enemies seem to kill your guys on a regular basis (and presumably you've played the game before and really know what you're doing). Is it just that death is so trivial, and you get fully healed after battles? Or is the easiness of the game exaggerated?

As someone who has played the game, I'd argue the easiness is exaggerated. While I didn't play FF13 before FF13-2 and that apparently factors in, I wouldn't say the game is unreasonably easy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Caius was Miang the whole time.

Of course Caius isn't this game's Miang. Miang's a better written character :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Covok posted:

As someone who has played the game, I'd argue the easiness is exaggerated. While I didn't play FF13 before FF13-2 and that apparently factors in, I wouldn't say the game is unreasonably easy.

It all comes down to how much side questing and exploring you do, if you race through all the plot critical areas and unavoidable things, then the endgame will be hard, if you do everything you possibly can, its God Mode until the DLC kicks your teeth in for being overleveled as some of the DLC bosses get harder the more you level up your skills.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Schwartzcough posted:

Little of column A, little of column B. For starters, yes, it uses the same system as 13 so you get fully healed after every fight. And it is a little easier than 13 on the whole. Not significantly easier, but enough that you probably won't find it too hard if you know what you're doing.

Covok posted:

THIS, however, is the big thing. Playing 13 really changes how you see 13-2 because the combat system hasn't fundamentally changed, but it's given you a lot more options to play with. While a lot of the difficulty in 13 does come from bullshit like getting a game over when the party leader dies, it still forces you to not only really learn the system, but also know when you need to be cautious, when you can go all out for a kill, etc, etc. 13-2's problem is that it strips a lot of that stuff out.

In 13-2, you don't get a game over if your leader dies anymore. That's much more player friendly of course, but unless you just got caught in a super attack, when are you going to be in a situation where you don't have A) a Phoenix Down handy or B) enough time to swap into Combat Clinic and cast Raise? So your battle time will get hosed up, who cares? There is functionally almost zero risk of actually game over-ing unless you are way, WAY in over your head. 13-2 also gives you access to your sub-roles almost immediately and there is no extra cost associated with them. In 13, if you want a Saboteur then you have a choice of Vanille, Fang, or Hope (if you're willing to spend about a million CP on him). Fang is also one of your two sentinels, and you can't have her be both roles at once. Your party composition actually means something because as Fedule put it, you're going to have do a lot of hammering that square peg into a round hole to get around it. In 13-2, you need a Sab? Cool, just have Serah spend her next 5-10 levels on it and she's good to go. Then there's the tweaks they did to the paradigm system. In 13, if you want your entire party to attack the same enemy, you can have no more than one commando. In any two or three Com setup, they will always spread out to attack multiple targets and there's no way around this. In 13-2, you can take Cerberus and all of its beautiful Com bonuses and tell them all to attack the same enemy at all times. And finally, there's that whole grinding thing. Yes, you can grind in 13 (especially toward the end of the game), but for the most part the game kept a lid on your experience level and if you had trouble, then you'd better learn to get good at the game. 13-2 always gives you the fallback of being able to grind whenever, and to get as strong as you want as soon as you want. And let's not even talk about how monsters break the game, we could be here for hours.

Now, I am not saying that any of those things are bad. Quite the opposite! I like that you don't have to panic over getting hit by Orphan's instant death attack AGAIN. I like that you don't have to pay ludicrous amounts of CP just for the privilege of having Vanille use "Attack". But 13 was built on a very carefully constructed difficulty curve, and all of those little factors made it a lot harder. When you take them all away, all that's left is the core combat system with no restrictions in the hands of someone who is probably very good at exploiting the system because....well, you have to be. Especially if you did any of the postgame.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

nine-gear crow posted:

Of course Caius isn't this game's Miang. Miang's a better written character :v:

I mean, _____'s a better written character than Caius is a given. Even NOEL'S better written.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Keep in mind also that Artix knows what he's doing and Serah and Noel "perfectly". If you were playing through this casually and might not know how overpowered the monsters are and aren't leveling your characters up properly then while the main story isn't going to that hard. The last area and definitly any kind of post game and DLC content is going to beat your rear end simple because your numbers arent going to keep up with the damage output.

At least that's my playthrough ended l. I just wanted to get the game over with and the prospect of stopping so vlose to the end to grind didn't appeal to me at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When people say this game is easy, post-game usually doesn't count because that requires some knowledge beyond what the game requires.

I want to say I actually quit because nothing was coming close was killing me (after the third caius fight barely hurting me) and I wasn't optimizing the level-ups at all. Just feed monsters into bigger monsters, get a Taunt monster, etc.

And personally, not a big fan of games that start and end with the same permanent party members (This, FFX-2), especially for a 30+ hour rpg when those two aren't very interesting.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Paradox Ending - Mischievous Mog's Marvelous Plan with Flan :siren:

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So, beating monsters way earlier than you should in the storyline results in silly, nonsensical endings. Just like a modern Chrono Trigger.

Hello, Frog marrying Queen Leene.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Flan in this game seem to be dividing monsters if they keep appearing in such numbers, only the game won't explain why there are so many of them. RR probably exploded and its parts spread around the world and became more flan.

A good ending and fast boss fight.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
If Archylte Steppe is post-300AF, the dragon eating all the flan it can leads to a looping boom in the flan population (which frankly makes me a little confused that they're running out of them in Archylte). Flan eaten in Archylte go back to 300 AF, have flan babies, and increase the population in Archylte's time, leading to more flan the dragon can gobble up as they spread outward from Sunleth to find adequate food (do they even need food?), and so on. This has practical limits, as the dragon can only do this until starvation claims him, and only so many flan can flow through his gullet at a time, so the world doesn't become drowned in an ocean of flan, but it'd still lead to an immense, ecology-breaking amount of flan. Which could then lead to something even bigger than Royal Ripeness if you don't cut off the flow midway.

If on the other hand Archylte Steppe is pre-300AF...Royal Ripeness needs more explanation for happening in the first place there but not Archylte. It could be a lack of predators thing plus flan having some silly fast birth rate. Like jelly rabbits. And even then, animals tend to spread out into empty territory, so flan from outside Archylte would start creeping in, while simultaneously the dragon might start ranging out further to find more prey. (At that point it might be too weak from hunger to consider struggling with stronger/leaner fare than flans.) So you'd still get more flan over the dragon's remaining lifespan than if you stop it at Royal Ripeness levels I guess.

This is all of course assuming a steady time differential between the two time periods (flan eaten at June 1, 3pm in Archylte show up at June 1, 3pm 300AF or something like that), but I think that's a safe assumption given that flan are slowly trickling in during 300AF rather than just all being there already. The reduced ripeness would then be a result of cutting it off at a prior date in Archylte compared to when you show up in 300AF, and the "tyrant" of the paradox ending is a result of letting the entire dragon-life worth of flan (minus however many made up Ripeness and the random encounters) accumulate.

And while we're at it, you are definitely putting that dragon out of its misery. That is some Third Circle of Hell poo poo where you could eat and eat, but get no sustenance out of it and your hunger only gets worse. For all the dark the game tries to portray in Caius and Yeul, or the Fal'Cie AI Cieth-ing all the civilians, some of the darkest things so far are the ones it's not even trying for.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 9, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't think about it.

Wait, this isn't the Rick and Morty thread.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Felinoid posted:

And while we're at it, you are definitely putting that dragon out of its misery. That is some Third Circle of Hell poo poo where you could eat and eat, but get no sustenance out of it and your hunger only gets worse. For all the dark the game tries to portray in Caius and Yeul, or the Fal'Cie AI Cieth-ing all the civilians, some of the darkest things so far are the ones it's not even trying for.

Just wait until you see the Paradox Ending involving Adam, that's probably the creepiest ending of them all.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 32: ....L-Lightning-senpai? (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Lightning's Theme ~ Unprotected Future
Etro's Gate
Tears of the Goddess

Datalogs

quote:

People: Lightning

Lightning is now the goddess's champion, and has sworn to protect Etro's temple in the Unseen Realm of Valhalla. She fights a never-ending battle against Caius Ballad, the man who would destroy the goddess and unleash the energies of chaos upon the world.

From Valhalla, where the entire span of history can be seen, Lightning sends her voice to past companions and guides them to where the timeline needs them most. After a brief reunion with her sister in a future New Bodhum, the former soldier entrusts Serah and Noel with a mission to prevent the prophesized fall of Cocoon, while she herself prepares for a final confrontation with Caius in the city beyond time.

quote:

People: Caius Ballad

Caius Ballad is a former l'Cie and the immortal Guardian of the seeress, Yeul.

Everything this man has done for the past several centuries has been for the purpose of freeing his charge from her curse of eternal reincarnation. If he can kill the goddess and send the artificial Cocoon plummeting into Pulse, the resulting flood of volatile chaos through Etro's Gate would shatter the boundary between Valhalla and the mortal realm. Life and death would cease to hold meaning, and Yeul's cruel fate would finally be undone. Or so Caius believes...

quote:

History and Myth: Etro's Gate

The instant Etro's Gate opened, a world-devouring darkness slipped through from Valhalla. The goddess turned back the river of time and that terrible darkness—the Unseen chaos—was sealed away.

Her power exhausted, Etro fell into a sleep from which she would never awaken. It was Lightning who sensed that someone meant to exploit that weakness and destroy the goddess for good. She learned of the man named Caius Ballad.

If the goddess is destroyed, the chaos of the Unseen Realm would be unleashed, and the mortal realm devoured by Valhalla. Lightning decided to stand and fight, to protect Etro and see her benevolent will upheld.

quote:

Hope's Message

Serah, can you hear me, out there in the future? I'm sending you an access code for a supply sphere.

I trust this may help you in the fateful battle to come.

...:iiam:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It might have been nice for Etro to provide Lightning with some clothing to wear under her armour, as plate on naked skin must chafe like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Anime waifus can't chafe.

• Locked thread