Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There is a mod that unlocks the DLC right from the start. I didn't use it because A) It wasn't out when I started the LP and B) I didn't want to do the DLC until after beating the game anyway because literally everything you can get out of it is either hilariously broken or massive spoilers. Like, the Lightning DLC? Literally the first thing it shows you the ending of the game.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

That's nice, I asked because there probably are people who would buy the game just for Chronobind. Which is the most justifiable reason.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
As promised, here's Chocolina's bullshit.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeaahhhhh, I'm still behind on the lets play but when this dropped in my subscriptions I knew what it was.

I'm kind of not in the mood to throw my tantrum right now. Maybe later. But yeesh, this is past the point where Chocobocofuckyoulina can be defended as a good idea or a sane idea.

I'm more in the mood to say how much I enjoyed every line from Sazh. In a world made of random bullshit and crayon scribblings realized into billion dollar graphics, he's a very real feeling character. Probably the only one here.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

For the record, the Bejeweled RPG you were talking about was most likely Gyromancer. It's not quite the same thing, but it's the closest thing I can think of.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Acne Rain posted:

I'm kind of not in the mood to throw my tantrum right now. Maybe later. But yeesh, this is past the point where Chocobocofuckyoulina can be defended as a good idea or a sane idea.

Chocolina is proof that there are people in the development of this game who realized that this game was incredibly stupid and ran with it. I don't see how anyone can see a game in which a solution to a boss fight is to Yell at Hope, in which Chocolina exists, in which Serah scolds flans, and in which Crazy Chocobo exists, and think that the game itself is all serious all the time or that the serious parts are at all supposed to be considered better than the goofy parts. It's the adventures of two morons doing stupid stuff to keep the incredibly stupid villain from doing anything really dumb, and they fail at that.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Chocolina is so dumb and out of place and her backstory is so fuckin' great I love it and I love this game

Edit: This quest also has the Chocobo finding hope in Sazh's afro. This DLC is the best thing in the FFXIII trilogy, and imo the best thing Square Enix has ever produced.

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 13, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Chocolina is so dumb and out of place and her backstory is so fuckin' great I love it and I love this game

Edit: This quest also has the Chocobo finding hope in Sazh's afro. This DLC is the best thing in the FFXIII trilogy, and imo the best thing Square Enix has ever produced.

Now lets not go too far.
Chocolina is a good bad inspired dumb idea.

She might have been better received if the game wasn't crying out to be taken seriously every other set of dialogue and if she was actually tolerable to begin with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe he really just hates everything square enix did.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
But squarenix is actually good at producing and publishing only developing isn't their strong point. We talked about that before.

Also I agree that nothing in this game should be read in any sort of serious tone. Doing so makes you bitter and question the logic.
This is an adventure about two really stupid people loving with time while pretending to know what's going on.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 13, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't really see it as a question of serious-humor balance.

I just find the whole thing really stupid and random.

Absurdity can be funny but there's finesse involved, this is purple monkey dishwasher at its worst. It's complete gibberish. It's hard to determine intention for the tone of this because nothing really follows from anything and it's all an incoherent mess.

what makes it worse is just how MUCH Etro is responsible for things like this, she was not only involved with loving with the ending but somehow just decided to take a baby bird and turn it into a nutty time traveler, just why.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Acne Rain posted:

what makes it worse is just how MUCH Etro is responsible for things like this, she was not only involved with loving with the ending but somehow just decided to take a baby bird and turn it into a nutty time traveler, just why.

Again it wouldn't matter if the game wasn't quite serious to begin with.
Contrast to : Half minute Hero Time Goddess.

With Etro: "God loving drat it Etro, you stupid idiot."
With TG: "Oh time goddess you cad :rolleyes:"

One's flaws and fuckups endear you to the character.
The other one doesn't because she might as wellFor all intents and purposes she is not a character. Just some random rear end, malformed piece of this world's history suddenly thrust into our laps and were told to deeply care about. Also because the scale of her fuckups defy any reasonable logic, and she never answers, apologizes or even manifests to explain whatever the hell she hosed up.

Etro is the real villain.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 13, 2015

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So Sazh has become the Fro'cie? The gently caress?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Chocolina's stupid voice posted:

Well you are at the intersection where events from the past lead into events from the future!

Yeah, pretty sure that's this novel thing called 'the present'.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

God drat it.
I knew this was coming from the second chocolina appeared due to people whining about what would happen to that chocobo during the XIII part of the lp, but now it's actually been confirmed.

That chocobo could have done amazing things, like grow up to be a special monster chocobo with an afro fighting alongside you and sazh. Or a time traveling chocobo with an afro that acted as the shop and only spoke in chirps and slapstick. Or a flock of afrobos. Or just about anything else that would have been cool and awesome and silly.

But no, instead we got a furry version of a chocobo with the worlds most annoying voice.

Such wasted potential.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

this looks like garbage

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

this looks like garbage

It is :colbert:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FoolyCharged posted:

God drat it.
I knew this was coming from the second chocolina appeared due to people whining about what would happen to that chocobo during the XIII part of the lp, but now it's actually been confirmed.

That chocobo could have done amazing things, like grow up to be a special monster chocobo with an afro fighting alongside you and sazh. Or a time traveling chocobo with an afro that acted as the shop and only spoke in chirps and slapstick. Or a flock of afrobos. Or just about anything else that would have been cool and awesome and silly.

But no, instead we got a furry version of a chocobo with the worlds most annoying voice.

Such wasted potential.
They could have done worse considering the stories in Japan have about pets transforming for their masters.

This game reminds me of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern for some reason.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Air is lava! posted:

Also I agree that nothing in this game should be read in any sort of serious tone. Doing so makes you bitter and question the logic.
This is an adventure about two really stupid people loving with time while pretending to know what's going on.

Yeah, the difference between the people in the thread who loathed the game and those who didn't is what part of the game they rolled their eyes at and ignored. I ignored Caius and his attempts to make the game serious, and I had a blast!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I still like Chocolina, the big reveal didn't really bother me at all, her outfit is a little unusual but Etro moves in mysterious ways.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

God knows Lightning gets way worse looking outfits in 13-3 and i'm not even talking about the skimpy ones.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 43: Back to the Punching Ground (Polsy) :siren:

Straight from one DLC into another. As previously mentioned, I'm not going to cover the colosseum stuff extensively simply because most of it is complete bullshit, but I'll give the fights an honest try and at least get across "This is how the fight works." So even if I don't actually clear them, you at least can see how they would go.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Snow? Snow, Snow Snow.... :cripes:

I was starting to like you, then you decide to throw out Batman and Robin level puns?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
For everyone who wanted to fight Jihl Nabaat in XIII, I hope you got your wish in the Colliseum! :v:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Maybe it's just me getting older and not giving a poo poo anymore, but I never understood how Nabaat was so popular among fans of the first FFXIII. She's literally a generic henchwoman and she's fully clothed. Her lack of screen time was necessary to show how merciless the evil pope and his robot owl were (the badguy in the first FFXIII, whose name I forgot). As long as they were going for cameos in the coliseum, they should've stuck Cid in there. Or maybe have some hosed up Chocolina fight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Digital Jello posted:

Maybe it's just me getting older and not giving a poo poo anymore, but I never understood how Nabaat was so popular among fans of the first FFXIII. She's literally a generic henchwoman and she's fully clothed. Her lack of screen time was necessary to show how merciless the evil pope and his robot owl were (the badguy in the first FFXIII, whose name I forgot). As long as they were going for cameos in the coliseum, they should've stuck Cid in there. Or maybe have some hosed up Chocolina fight.

She had an actual presence and was basically the face of The Bad Guys until Space Pope decided to be part of the plot. And "abruptly killing a named character for no real reason to show how evil and merciless the bad guy is" isn't exactly award-winning writing material.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

The only possible reasoning I could even think of are the fans of Sazh who wanted to see the person who captured Dajh get what was coming to her. The problem with this idea is plainly obvious: Sazh isn't playable (outside of his DLC) in XIII-2, so you are using two substitutes who were not involved in the previous game to do the work. Couple that with, as you said, her personality being very bland and largely forgettable (although that might be more of a XIII issue, given that a lot of named characters had very limited characterizations beyond the bare bones), and you have a rather bizarre choice for a DLC/post-game boss fight. There are a couple of decent ideas for DLC fights out there from XIII (Roarsh (sp?), Cid Raines and his lieutenant, Barty himself), and they choose the one person nobody really cared about. Hell, how about instead of Nabaat, you give us say...Vanille and Fang as another tag team fight or bullshit a way for Hope and Alyssa to appear as a fight.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

Nabaat was heavily featured in FFXIII's pre-release media for some stupid reason. I remember some of my old friends who were really looking forward to FXIII thought if Lightning was female Cloud, then Nabaat was going to be female Sephiroth. (They didn't know her name, so they jokingly called her "Sephira.") There was a lot of hype that just... never came to.

Nabaat is the embodiment of a broken promise.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 19, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morroque posted:

Nabaat was heavily featured in FFXIII's pre-release media for some stupid reason. I remember some of my old friends who were really looking forward to FXIII thought if Lightning was female Cloud, then Nabaat was going to be female Sephiroth. (They didn't know her name, so they jokingly called her "Sephira.") There was a lot of hype that just... never came to.

Nabaat is the embodiment of a broken promise.

this sounds more like fanfiction than anything else

'oh this character we don't know anything about wasn't actually what we speculated and decided was correct based on nothing. i kawn't believe square enix lied to us'

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

When Omega showed up, my first thought was "one Chemist can take this chump". :v:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

this sounds more like fanfiction than anything else

'oh this character we don't know anything about wasn't actually what we speculated and decided was correct based on nothing. i kawn't believe square enix lied to us'

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with that, but the pre-release marketing of the game was more or less designed to make you believe Lightning was essentially girl-Cloud. The assumptions around Nabaat weren't much of a jump from there. It only becomes fanfiction after the fact when we actually got the game and none of it panned out.

Retrospectively, the marketing for the original FFXIII was reeeally misleading. I remember one of the stories being when they got the English voice cast together, there was a lot of secrecy. They were only auditioned and recorded for only the trailer within a few short days. It gave the impression that they had some master plan and it was all to keep the game itself perfect for release. Little did we realize at the time that it was a huge warning-sign, that they were in full damage-control mode, and the only reason they were keeping secrets is because they only had the trailer to show and nothing else.

Warning signs in pre-release media are hard to spot. A similar one I'm angry with myself for not noticing at the time was in beta stuff for Dark Souls II -- even before the whole "graphical downgrade" mess. IGN had an interview with the devs showing an early version of Aldia's Keep, and when asked about the story/lore for the place, the dev said something along the lines of "we haven't come up with the exact story for it yet, but we're still trying to get the feeling of it down correctly." ... and that was only 1 year away from the release date. Naturally, the story and whole entire structure of Dark Souls II just sucked, because they left it all to the last moment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nabaat is a sexy dominatrix, it isn't hard to figure out why she's "popular." Popular in this case meaning vocal nerds not shutting up about the character any chance they get.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't care for Gilgamesh having new weird weapons instead of the usual stuff.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't care for Gilgamesh having new weird weapons instead of the usual stuff.

I'm just happy to see him in the first place :shobon:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Whats the usual stuff? Each incarnation had different stuff, not counting the remakes where he appears, naturally, those just used his FFV sprite.

Like his entire shtick is taking rare weapons and using excalipoor the wrong way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whats the usual stuff? Each incarnation had different stuff, not counting the remakes where he appears, naturally, those just used his FFV sprite.

Like his entire shtick is taking rare weapons and using excalipoor the wrong way.

I think the general expectation of Gilgamesh is that he's an eight bladed warrior, not someone busting out guns of every variety.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah to that I say have patience.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

On the other hand, guns in the 13 series look big and flashy, but are like the weakest things in the games so far. I'd say they're perfect for gilgamesh.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I think my favorite incarnation of Gilgamesh has to be in FFXIV. To be described as a "Flamboyant Oaf" is only just the beginning, and he has this weird gentlemanly-sounding voice that tries to sound like a sensei or something.

But I like the Gilgamesh character as a whole. Giving him guns just made him more badass, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

FoolyCharged posted:

On the other hand, guns in the 13 series look big and flashy, but are like the weakest things in the games so far. I'd say they're perfect for gilgamesh.
To be fair, this is something of a jRPG tradition. You wouldn't be able to have a mandatory sword-wielding protagonist if guns worked like they do in real life. Armies stopped using anything larger than a knife or bayonet for a reason.

Hell, FF8 even says that its guns suck outright. Irvine's first weapon has the description:

Final Fantasy VIII posted:

Guns have the advantages of range, but damage is less compared to swords. The Valiant uses powerful bullets to cause damage comparable to swords.
And that game doesn't even have rows, so the remark about range is completely irrelevant. :v:

• Locked thread