Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yah but Tifa is massively co dependent on someone who is by all means completely out of their minds.

Snows just dumb, yo.

That said, IMO XIII is what VII could be if they started from the EU then worked backwards. The game (story) feels like its was built from the outside in. The little flighty details get worked to a beautiful shine but the basic underpinnings of a good story/game were completely left for the last minute.

Seriously all the effort on the datalog and the creation myths is nice to see and read but its effort wasted when put next to the actual content the game is expected to deliver.

In comparison to something like XII which has a rock solid story with a strong sequence of events its like the writers just lost the plot.

[Oh, on that note is XV turning out to be similarly convoluted?]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pocketwatch
Apr 26, 2008
Am I the only person who kinda likes Snow? By comparison Serah's boring, Lightning's bitter and whiny, Vanille's good cheer sounds incredibly insincere to me, and Hope's blaming Lightning over his mom rather than, you know, the men who were shooting at her. At least Snow is trying to fix things and not depress everyone. Sazh is still the best though, for representing my lack of interest in the rest of the group.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Nah I like Snow too, he's got enthusiasm. Though I fully admit that part of me liking him is probably Troy Baker.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
See the thing is with Snow: I can kind of see what's going on with him. It's most likely he's putting up false bravado and a happy face because he knows it'll motivate others. Same thing with Serah: he's putting up the hero routine to reassure her. Hell, it probably helps him reassure himself and keep moving on in the face of impossible odds. I can understand and sympathize with that, it's certainly a realistic means of coping with the situation.

Having said all that, I still find his routine annoying to watch. :v: It's a weird line to tread, but there you go. The prologue is also just kind of a bad introduction to Snow's character in general. From what I remember, all of the party members who aren't Sazh ping-pong around in terms of likability as the story goes along.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

See the thing is with Snow: I can kind of see what's going on with him. It's most likely he's putting up false bravado and a happy face because he knows it'll motivate others. Same thing with Serah: he's putting up the hero routine to reassure her. Hell, it probably helps him reassure himself and keep moving on in the face of impossible odds. I can understand and sympathize with that, it's certainly a realistic means of coping with the situation.

Having said all that, I still find his routine annoying to watch. :v: It's a weird line to tread, but there you go. The prologue is also just kind of a bad introduction to Snow's character in general. From what I remember, all of the party members who aren't Sazh ping-pong around in terms of likability as the story goes along.

Hmmm, well, I haven't seen the rest of the game, but I think if they would slowly work this idea out over time from now on, having established Snow's bravado, that it could do a lot to humanize his character. Like, the first two hours are spent getting to know Snow as this hopeless romantic, the idealistic young man who believes that with enough guts and determination a man can move mountains, and then overtime we come to understand what you described.

Without spoilers, does this actually end up happening?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Skyfinder posted:

Without spoilers, does this actually end up happening?

Well. There is like one scene, but beyond that not really, no.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I liked Snow far more when I just had the first LP of XIII to go on. In this game, he's fine and I really don't mind his antics - he gets his comeuppance for his bravado more than once, which separates him well from other characters in Final Fantasy I hate which never get called out on their bullshit (read: Squall).

Imho vague enough talk about the next game, but spoilered just in case:
In XIII-2, however, the first of the two I played, he's an absolute douchebag sans That One Scene Everyone Loves (maybe) and knowing that is what he'll end up with kind of sours my look on him in this game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

pocketwatch posted:

Am I the only person who kinda likes Snow? By comparison Serah's boring, Lightning's bitter and whiny, Vanille's good cheer sounds incredibly insincere to me, and Hope's blaming Lightning over his mom rather than, you know, the men who were shooting at her. At least Snow is trying to fix things and not depress everyone. Sazh is still the best though, for representing my lack of interest in the rest of the group.

Snow was the one character who I actually wound up hating even more through replaying the game. Going back and restarting the story with all the cards on the table helped me see all the characters and their actions in a new light that made all of them more or less more understandable... Except for Snow. He just comes across as an even bigger thoughtless tool the more you know about him. The only appealing thing about his character for me is that Troy Baker could make a reading of the Septic Tank Cleaning Services section of the Yellowpages sound charismatic and appealing.

The only thing that sustained me through his character arc on my second playthrough was the schadenfreude factor and the perverse glee of watching everything go catastrophically wrong for a man who is the root cause of nearly all his own and others problems.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
On the one hand, Snow is a dumb guy who does stupid stuff to 'be a hero'.

On the other hand, FF13 is a dumb game that demands its characters do dumb things because they're 'heroes'.

Snow is the perfect FF13 character: big and flashy and kind of stupid, and really wants you to know how big and flashy he is.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sydin posted:

From what I remember, all of the party members who aren't Sazh ping-pong around in terms of likability as the story goes along.

Wrong, there's one character who's always awesome all the time. Fang or course :colbert:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 5: Crystalline Drifts and Paradigm Shifts (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Lake Bresha
Daddy's Got the Blues

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Branded

After being caught in the destruction of the Vestige, the group awakens directly under the Hanging Edge on the expanse of a solidified Lake Bresha. An after-effect of the energies released by the dying fal'Cie, the waters of the lake are now frozen in crystal splendor.

Despite having survived a fall from an incredible height, the companions are unable to appreciate their luck as each one of them now bears a brand of alien design. The mark seared on their bodies signifies their servitude to a fal'Cie and the 'gift' of magical power.

It is the brand of a cursed l'Cie. Worse, they must now complete their assigned Focus if they are to avoid becoming monstrous Cie'th, though none can say for sure what their mission actually entails. Their only clue is the vision they all witnessed of the great beast laying waste to Cocoon.

Ragnarok.

Though all signs point to a bleak and tragic destiny, Snow alone remains optimistic. Convinced that his Focus is to grant Serah's wish and save Cocoon, he sets off full of confidence.

quote:

A Vision Shared

Now that they are Pulse l'Cie, Lightning and the others try to figure out what their Focus could be. The only thing they know for certain is that the rampaging beast Ragnarok is somehow involved.

Snow is convinced that their Focus is to protect their world by defeating the beast. But one fact contradicts this belief: Pulse l'Cie are the hated enemies of Cocoon. A Pulse fal'Cie would never assign such a task to its servants.

Lightning is infuriated by Snow's refusal to accept this logic. As she sees it, the fal'Cie not only made them into l'Cie, it also took her sister from her. The former soldier could never bring herself to meekly follow the orders of such a being, and Snow's apparent surrender to its will, however misinterpreted, is more than she can stand.

As they trade heated words, Sanctum soldiers surround their location. Arguments will have to wait—for now, they must concentrate on surviving.

quote:

Partings and Promises

Is she dead or merely sleeping?

Serah, now a silent statue, is trapped in a crystal embrace. Lightning doesn't wish to leave her behind, but reluctantly says her farewells. The army is on their trail. If they stop to dig Serah free, their pursuers will certainly catch them.

However, Snow is not ready to say good-bye. He elects to stay behind, protect Serah, and somehow fulfill her wish to save Cocoon.

Knowing they cannot change his mind, Lightning and the others continue on their way. Hope drags himself away from Snow for what might be the final time—and the chance to say what he is burning to say is lost.

quote:

History and Myth: Ragnarok

Lightning, Snow, and the others saw a phantom vision of this beast upon their branding as l'Cie. In the dream, they witnessed the creature besieging Cocoon's capital of Eden, but whether this was a glimpse of past events or a vision of things to come was unclear. What is clear is that Ragnarok is inextricably linked to their Focus. The nature of that Focus, and what must be done to fulfill it, remains to be seen.

quote:

Locales: Lake Bresha

Lake Bresha is located near Cocoon's outer rim, directly beneath the Hanging Edge. Once a bustling center of activity, this desolate area is now home only to monsters that lurk amongst the centuries-old remnants of civilization.

The final wave of power released by the falling Pulse fal'Cie has locked the waters of the lake in solid crystal form, creating a beautiful and unsettling landscape.

quote:

Cocoon Society: Sanctum Fal'Cie

The Sanctum fal'Cie are the unfathomable entities that constructed the floating shell of Cocoon in ages past, and even now watch over the world's human inhabitants. Each is assigned a specific task that supports the existence of Cocoon's grateful populace, such as generating energy or manufacturing food. The fal'Cie rarely intervene directly in the governing of society, leaving that responsibility to appointed human representatives. One theory states that, including the lower hierarchy, the total number of Sanctum fal'Cie exceeds eight million.

quote:

Cocoon Society: Guardian Corps

The Guardian Corps is the branch of the Sanctum military responsible for maintaining peace and stability within Cocoon.

Within their assigned jurisdictions, the soldiers of the Guardian Corps fulfill the role of the police officers and protectors, working to eliminate all manner of criminal activity as well as rampaging wildlife. As a unit that works alongside the general population, it rarely employs heavy weaponry or cruiser-class ships. However, the Corps does retain squads of highly mobile shock troops.

quote:

Cocoon Society: Bodhum Security Regiment

The Bodhum Security Regiment is a section of the Guardian Corps stationed in the coastal community of Bodhum. Before the events of the Purge, Lightning belonged to this unit.

Public security issues rarely arose in the sleepy seaside town, and with little trouble from the local fauna, the regiment was one of the least active units of the Corps. During long spans of downtime, BSR troops were often sent to aid in exterminating dangerous wildlife in frontier regions.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 14, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The frozen lake really reminds me of that one location from Chrono Cross where time had stopped.
Also, if the party members are interchangeable and it's the paradigms that matter, can we just bench Vanille forevermore?

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Watching, or rewatching I suppose, has led me to realise the foreshadowing in this game is better than I gave it credit for. Chapter 7 spoilers:
Vanille's brand is bigger than the others, and on the Ark she already had three ATB slots. She and Sazh also seem to speak with more confidence about what the branding entails.

Sadly, by the time you get to Chapter 7, you have completely forgotten this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

anilEhilated posted:

Also, if the party members are interchangeable and it's the paradigms that matter, can we just bench Vanille forevermore?

That's cute, that you think that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

anilEhilated posted:

Ahahahahahahaha, don't you wish.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
While I like the Sphere grid, the Crystarium annoyed me with the multiple grids for each role.
(late game Crystarium spoilers)
It gets much more annoying later when you can unlock the other three roles for each character but you have to pay CP out the nose to even get started on that role

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

anilEhilated posted:

The frozen lake really reminds me of that one location from Chrono Cross where time had stopped.

Short answer: No. That's not how the game works. :v:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Oh look it's the absolute best part of this entire video game

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

pocketwatch posted:

Hope blames Snow because he recruited a bunch of civilians to fight an armed military. Which killed Hope's mom. Snow is a colossal gently caress up which will be elaborated on a bit as the game goes on.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

Short answer: No. That's not how the game works. :v:

Uh-huh. I didn't mean gag her and remove her from the plot (appealing as that may be), just not having to see her maniacal gestures everytime we fight.

Gensuki posted:

Hope blames Snow because he recruited a bunch of civilians to fight an armed military. Which killed Hope's mom. Snow is a colossal gently caress up which will be elaborated on a bit as the game goes on.

This is actually why I like Snow (so far, mind you, this LP is the extent of what I know about this game). Lightning is too anime to be believable, Vanille and Hope are just obnoxious but Snow - I can kinda get him (provided he's like seventeen for the whole hero fetish thing to not be too awkward, but you never know with them animes). He's a complete fuckup with a lot of ideals; funnily enough that reminds of Cloud (whom I, at the possible cost of my hypothetical goonrep, genuinely like)more than anything the supposed Cloud 2.0 did so far.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

anilEhilated posted:

Uh-huh. I didn't mean gag her and remove her from the plot (appealing as that may be), just not having to see her maniacal gestures everytime we fight.
We will not have control over who to use in battle for a very long time.

Yes, this is stupid.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

anilEhilated posted:

Nope, we're stuck with her because Hope has yet to find his balls and start actually fighting.

quote:

This is actually why I like Snow (so far, mind you, this LP is the extent of what I know about this game). Lightning is too anime to be believable, Vanille and Hope are just obnoxious but Snow - I can kinda get him (provided he's like seventeen for the whole hero fetish thing to not be too awkward, but you never know with them animes). He's a complete fuckup with a lot of ideals; funnily enough that reminds of Cloud (whom I, at the possible cost of my hypothetical goonrep, genuinely like)more than anything the supposed Cloud 2.0 did so far.

As previously mentioned Snow and Lightning are 21. Hope is 14, Vanille is 19, Serah is 18, and Sazh is like 40-ish? He's 42 in 13-2.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
If you don't have Pork Lift and/or wateyad on as guests for chapter 6 I'm unsubscribing from this Let Us Play

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Cloud's a perfectly fine character. I don't think he's that similar to Snow, though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

anilEhilated posted:

You're gonna love Chapters 4, 6 and 8.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I dunno guys, think about this:

Snow is supposed to get married soon,maybe start a family, and all he has for a job is apparently punching monsters in Bodhum and recently, being an Anti-Government Terrorist.

For me, that's not a "Hero". That's just being a childlike Idiot. Even if he saves Serah, he has nothing to go with in terms of being a responsible Adult, even in this
Anime-World where Money drops from Monsters and Digital Shops sell everything on every street corner.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Oh boy, it's the meat and potatoes of the combat system. The Paradigm Shift is a silly name, but as Artix and Fedule stated, having to constantly switch between roles is actually quite hectic in later battles. If you just spam a single role and expect the game to "play itself," as they put it, then combat is going to be a miserable slog pretty quickly.

One annoying thing you didn't mention about the Paradigm Shift though is that in every single battle, shifting for the first time will be considerably slower, since the camera focuses on each party member as they do a silly pose. Every other shift is just a quick flash, but if you need to shift for the first time, expect to be waiting for about ten seconds while enemies are still whacking away at you. Most battles, I just shifted right at the start to get the animation over with, because in a lot of later fights, your health bar is going to vanish in the blink of an eye, and you don't want to be just standing there.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
It's weird. Sazh does make for a pretty funny character, but he's also realistic and well-rounded. He's, simultaneously "I'm too old for this poo poo" and the most level-headed of the group,

I can see why he's a lot of people's favorite character.

Also, I think something that would've really helped Snow's character is if we got a bigger look into his relationship with Serah. Not just the two weeks or whatever or this stuff at the beginning of the plot, but a look at the two of them as a normal couple. Something to help us see why he might be so devoted to her.

But, them's the breaks for one-half of an RPG pre-plot romance. They only exist to get the plot going.

Skyfinder fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 14, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blastinus posted:

Oh boy, it's the meat and potatoes of the combat system. The Paradigm Shift is a silly name, but as Artix and Fedule stated, having to constantly switch between roles is actually quite hectic in later battles. If you just spam a single role and expect the game to "play itself," as they put it, then combat is going to be a miserable slog pretty quickly.

One annoying thing you didn't mention about the Paradigm Shift though is that in every single battle, shifting for the first time will be considerably slower, since the camera focuses on each party member as they do a silly pose. Every other shift is just a quick flash, but if you need to shift for the first time, expect to be waiting for about ten seconds while enemies are still whacking away at you. Most battles, I just shifted right at the start to get the animation over with, because in a lot of later fights, your health bar is going to vanish in the blink of an eye, and you don't want to be just standing there.

You can also skip the animation if one of your characters are in mid-air, but the first time you do it with all the characters on the ground will have the long animation. It's one of those things that make absolutely no sense out of the context of the game (or even in the game, for that matter).

I wish there was some visual indication when enough time had passed so that your next paradigm shift will start off with a full bar. There's no reason that should be a hidden mechanic, since it encourages shifting paradigms in the first place. If you don't know about this and shift too often, then you won't get the instant full bar, and will be fighting inefficiently.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Blastinus posted:

This whole initial paradigm shift of every battle-thing is like a perfect summation of this games mountainous Style-Over-Substance. It sounds like such a small thing, but when you start having to paradigm shift in every battle, and you fight about a million billion battles because battles are all there is apart from cutscenes, it starts grinding away at you and it just doesn't stop.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

That loving Sned posted:

I wish there was some visual indication when enough time had passed so that your next paradigm shift will start off with a full bar. There's no reason that should be a hidden mechanic, since it encourages shifting paradigms in the first place. If you don't know about this and shift too often, then you won't get the instant full bar, and will be fighting inefficiently.

Since your ATB fill rate is %-of-total-bar-per-time-unit, you can roughly time it as two full ATB command chains. Not entirely accurate, but works well enough.

But yeah, it should be a visible indicator.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Hymirvetr posted:

I dunno guys, think about this:

Snow is supposed to get married soon,maybe start a family, and all he has for a job is apparently punching monsters in Bodhum and recently, being an Anti-Government Terrorist.

For me, that's not a "Hero". That's just being a childlike Idiot. Even if he saves Serah, he has nothing to go with in terms of being a responsible Adult, even in this
Anime-World where Money drops from Monsters and Digital Shops sell everything on every street corner.

To be fair, let's try and think of a FF character that begins the game in a responsible position that would allow them to have "for a job" something that would be considered by our real-world standards to be responsible. The closest is probably Squall, who's a student at Child Soldier Academy, so even then.

That loving Sned posted:

I'm sorry to be jumping ahead to future games, but did XIII-2 change this? I thought Pro StratzTM for this game (inasmuch as there is a Pro StratTM) involved doing stuff like setting up two of the same Paradigm so you switch to the other when you deplete one and have that ready.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

To be fair, let's try and think of a FF character that begins the game in a responsible position that would allow them to have "for a job" something that would be considered by our real-world standards to be responsible. The closest is probably Squall, who's a student at Child Soldier Academy, so even then.

None of them planned rescuing their fianceés and getting married afterwards despite being/becoming a literal terrorist in doing so.

And both Lightning and Sazh actually had real jobs before this mess.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wild Knight posted:

Cecil, Cloud and Lightning were all soldiers (... for evil empires, but still). Zidane was an actor (... as well as a criminal), Tidus was a pro sportball player.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Well, Edgar is a king. Cayenne was a warrior for his kingdom. Celes was a general. Tifa runs a bar. Lenna and Faris are princesses. Edward & Edge are princes. Yang's a warrior monk for his kingdom. Cid's an engineer (except in FF8 where he's a Robin Williams-esque principal at Child Soldier Academy)..

There are plenty of gainfully-employed blokes in this franchise, is what I'm saying.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Plus those who don't have gainful employment during the game usually have it beforehand or have some reason why they have the resources they do. Barrett was a coal miner and a laborer for the Shinra Corporation before he ended up taking up AVALANCHE business, Vincent was an operative, and Rinoa lived off of her father's income.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the black mage was a black mage.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Aeris sold flowers. That's a job, I guess.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Did I miss where Lightning was branded? Everyone else showed a brand, she did not. (And she did mysteriously talk a door into opening.) Suspicious.

What is the most popular sitcom in Cocoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yes, thank you, the point has been made. While perhaps not the majority, a substantial number of FF characters are gainfully employed in one way or another.

Blastinus posted:

One annoying thing you didn't mention about the Paradigm Shift...

Well we do but not for another video or-

quote:

...though is that in every single battle, shifting for the first time will be considerably slower, since the camera focuses on each party member as they do a silly pose. Every other shift is just a quick flash, but if you need to shift for the first time, expect to be waiting for about ten seconds while enemies are still whacking away at you. Most battles, I just shifted right at the start to get the animation over with, because in a lot of later fights, your health bar is going to vanish in the blink of an eye, and you don't want to be just standing there.

That loving Sned posted:

Believe it or not guys, we don't have to air every single mechanic of the system the second it's available. We have 5 more chapters where relatively little is added to the system, and I was planning on hitting some of the more interesting quirks like ATB resetting then.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Did I miss where Lightning was branded? Everyone else showed a brand, she did not. (And she did mysteriously talk a door into opening.) Suspicious.

Lightning's brand is on her chest, you can see where the beam...thing hit her during the cutscene at the end of Chapter 2.

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 14, 2014

• Locked thread