Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Fedule posted:

I regret nothing!
I don't think I believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Something tells me they managed to miss the most important part of what made Cloud Cloud, ie being a complete fuckup. Anyway, is that fal'cie thingy a drinking game worthy word?
Only if you want to die around three hours in?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

For reference, how much longer would you say the game is after you reach that point?
The issue is that while completing the main story after that point isn't that long, that's also where the game opens up with a ton of side content. It's when it stops being Corridor Simulator 2011 and becomes a reasonably interesting game where you can customize your party and mess around with challenges.

It's almost decent at that point, while still grudging the player every bit of actual gameplay it gives you, but the utter stupidity it takes to get there... :cripes:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I went back and watched Yahtzee's review of FFXIII again and it's still just ridiculously spot-on. The beginning of this game is just so...drawn out for the very purpose of being drawn out.

Also, one thing that drives me absolutely god drat nuts about this game is the voice acting. Not that the voice actors are bad at all, they've got a great cast. But the lines are all so sharply cut off, often nonsensical, and end up being a mess. It's probably because of matching to the lip flap from the original Japanese (which is always a huge challenge) but if you just try to listen to conversations, they sound absurdly stilted and awkward and it just makes me so annoyed :tizzy:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Nah I think they're just redoing (or, more likely, have tools that do) lip sync for different languages these days. They might stick to the Japanese cutscene timings though, not sure, would have to look that up.

Anyway, the problem here is almost certainly entirely the writing itself and not the performance of it.
It's probably that they stuck to the timings. It just drives me up the wall, because they've got good voice actors and such awful, awful lines.

It's kind of a testament to how good the voice actors are that they managed to humanize the characters as well as they do with such a horrendous script.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Lightning has already secured her best character status by punching Snow. This may change later but for now she is indisputably in the lead.

anilEhilated posted:

Gotta say I love Sazh's gunslinging, in particular the fact he's apparently unable to fire off a second shot unless he's standing on one leg. Kinda makes me wonder whether it's an explained gun-kata thing or just the devs going "look at this wacky black man, wheeee". I wouldn't put it past them.
A great deal of his ridiculously silly attacks are based around the fact that the combat system needs to have attacks happen at certain delays. Of course, this means instead of carefully lining up shots or having to reload (hahahahahaha), Sazh instead does literally nothing but trickshots, which is stupid :mad:

theshim
May 1, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Also, if the party members are interchangeable and it's the paradigms that matter, can we just bench Vanille forevermore?
Ahahahahahahaha, don't you wish.

theshim
May 1, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Uh-huh. I didn't mean gag her and remove her from the plot (appealing as that may be), just not having to see her maniacal gestures everytime we fight.
We will not have control over who to use in battle for a very long time.

Yes, this is stupid.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ashrik posted:

The lady in the very next scene calls them "twin sisters". I don't know why it seems so out of left field for some, there's only 1 other pair of sisters I've seen in the game so far and Snow isn't one of them.
Who...aren't twins?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Fedule posted:

Okay. Guys?

Nope.

Nope.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooope.
Let's instead talk about the fact that Mystery Woman also clocked Snow. She is already in second place.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Artix posted:

Yep, I'll be posting the Aggressive mixes of each field song when we tackle 13-2. But I think that's getting a little bit ahead of ourselves.
I still don't understand what compelled you to jump onto a project that is likely to take years of FFXIII.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I really like each character's unique Crystarium design, and the fact that it shows up when Eidolons get involved. 'spretty.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You shut up, Elevator Master is totally a great accomplishment :mad:

theshim
May 1, 2012

KNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE :argh:

I didn't beat this game by a long shot and even I remember that god drat knife.

theshim
May 1, 2012

1stGear posted:

I'm getting really excited about this knife.
You poor thing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have to wonder what went through Lightning's mind that made her think giving a knife to the kid that already had both a weapon and incredibly strong magic, was even remotely useful.
Well, he very clearly does not have a weapon except in battle (I mean seriously, look at his model, there is no bloody place for a boomerang).

You've got me on the magic though. v:v:v

theshim
May 1, 2012

For some reason, the line "worst birthday ever :colbert:" stuck in my head as one of my favorite things about this game. It's silly.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Oh god no no no no steeeeeeeeep into the raaaaaainbooooow~

theshim
May 1, 2012

FailAtMagic posted:

drat now you made me sad because there's no way The World Ends With You will have that kind of graphics :(
TWEWY doesn't need that kind of graphics, though. TWEWY was amazing with its own unique artstyle.

What makes me incredibly sad is the continued lack of a followup to that unique and excellent game. :smith:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I just love Fang going "and then there were three". As if the game's going to let you use three party members. Ha!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I loving love Fang. She almost makes the cutscenes she's in good, but sadly there are usually other people around, and that godawful NORA nonsense still creeps in.

Also her "btw Vanille is also from Pulse" all casual is the best.

By the way, it's starting to annoy me that you don't play right (aka exactly like me)!!! I switch Paradigms constantly in pretty much every single fight, for the free bars as much as for the role change. The thing is, obviously it's still working very well for you and you get 5 stars still. It's baffling that for example in the first Orion fight, you can Slow once and then keep Relentless Assault up all the time - people say the game plays itself and you just have to hit X, and in so many cases, it's simple true. As I went into the game with prior knowledge, I knew about the free ATBs, and always thought complainers about the "X only" issue just didn't get it (no fault of theirs, of course), but it's not even wrong, what the gently caress :psyduck:.

though you totally could have staggered and launched the guy if you had switched paradigms more, I'm sure of it

EDIT: Of course, it's not Relentless Assault but Slash&Burn because we're still in loving TWO-PERSON-PARTY-ASSVILLE
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > we're still in loving TWO-PERSON-PARTY-ASSVILLE [Final Fantasy XIII]

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, that scene on the balcony is one of the better and more redeeming moments Snow has. You finally break a tiny bit past the :byodood: HERO :byodood: shell and suddenly he's just as scared and furious and lost as the rest of them. Troy Baker sells it wonderfully.

Also, of course, STEELGUARD

theshim
May 1, 2012

:byodood: I'm Yaag Rosch :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be fair you get shot hundreds of times during gameplay and it barely stings. Snow may actually have been able to survive all those bullets.
Especially if he was using :byodood: Steelguard :byodood:

• Locked thread