Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've heard a lot of complaints about the "hallway simulation", but isn't this the game as linear as Final Fantasy X?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

I like this game. It has it's problems. It starts off on the wrong foot on just about everything especially presenting and introducing Sazh, right now he's just the comedy relief funny yet kind of racist stereotype black man with a bird living in his afro but once you get into it it's actually a very fine game. Probably one of the weakest Final Fantasy games.

I found Sazh to be pretty great, honestly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Artix posted:

I could have sworn that she was wearing shorts, but no, it's definitely a skirt. That said, there is something that she's wearing beneath the skirt (you can see it inside her jacket), so who the gently caress knows.

I think this is first time I realized just how many belts Lightning has on her costume.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I recall being able to follow this story pretty well, actually.

Aside from at the very beginning, when they throw out a ton of words like "l'Cie" that they never really explain.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I hate it when people repeat the same tired talking point over and over again, but it's just true here: I don't think there is anything in the way of setting up or even thinking about for closer to 12 hours, not just 2.

With the story, I have little problems, I do with the presentation. It suffers just as much as the gameplay from the absolutely atrocious pacing; there is just too much poo poo happening between story bits, and too many story bits happening which are also pacing. Another huge difference from FFX, which used its linearity perfectly to avoid being boring at pretty much all times, unless you for some reason chose to think you might actually enjoy Blitzball.

Hey, at least Blitzball was a mini-game. As opposed to dodging lightning 200 times or dodging butterflies or dodging birds and blitzballs.

Come to think of it, what was with FFX and dodging things?

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah, but it's crucial for getting the Untimate weapon for the Third Best character in the entire franchise.

Not necessarily. You only have to win five games to get Wakka's World Champion. Winning the match against the Goers just knocks it down to four.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 3, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Please tell me that you're going to point out that rock when we get to it. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fedule posted:

Yeah, the game does a lot of "getting better later". There's the prologue which will end, and the battle system which will eventually start introducing more options, and the party which you'll be able to change some day, and the linearity which will end at one point, and the endgame which will be over, and the postgame which you'll eventually be able to start making progress in.

It is some legit good stuff, stretched out and held back for far too long.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sincere or scathing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I always found it weird how Vanille keeps randomly moaning in battle.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I like how all the residents of Cocoon live in constant fear of everything Pulse, about which they seem to know almost nothing. And yet apparently there are giant structures from Pulse laying around Cocoon, like the enormous and intricate Vestige here, which could contain vast amounts of information about Pulse, and nobody ever thought to investigate it? Really? That's like having a Pyramid of Giza in your backyard, or an aircraft carrier from a warring nation washed up on your shore, and nobody ever thought to check it out. That is incredibly stupid.

To be fair, the Vestige is full of demon stone monsters that were the result of the pissed of (demi?) god inside cursing the last people who entered.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BgRdMchne posted:

So, would a gunblade work irl?

Gunblades are a real thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be honest, of the characters so far, my favorite so far would have to be Sazh. Mainly because he's pretty chill.

I do like Lightning a bit, though. Not as much as other Final Fantasy main protagonists, but just a little.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

It could only have been better if she had punched him while yelling what we were all thinking - "You freak, my sister's twelve!"

I'm pretty sure Serah is legal age, even if she does look young.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Snow is a big guy while Serah is smallish. Yeah it looks weird, but it's not exploited for creep factor. At least not in XIII or XIII-2 as far as I remember. I can't speak for LR having never played it.

There was a XIII creation myth video, but I can't find it anymore. It clears up A LOT of things in the game and should have been like the first thing the player sees after your party gets Branded.

Was it this video, by any chance? (Spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUqPp3Se87o

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 12, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rita Repulsa posted:

I mean, either turning into a zombie or a crystal is kind of a bizarre end thing. Why do the lcie do things that way? Why not give an actual reward for accomplished focuses if they need people to accomplish them?

I think the point of this is supposed to be a deconstruction of the whole "Chosen One" thing. l'Cie might be XIII's term for Warrior of Light, as far as I can tell.

So I guess they were going for a story where instead of "Defeat the monster and save the day or the world is doomed" it's more along the lines of "End up a cursed zombie or end up a crystal".

That's only speculation on my part, though. I don't know all that much about XIII.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 12, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Oh look it's the absolute best part of this entire video game

Why is this slime monster wearing a siren anyway? Does PSICOM have a peace offer training division for monsters?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I Love L'Cie. (Snow's a big fan.)

There are no words. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

If anything, Hope should be hating Vanille more at this point. "Hey, let's sneak into Old Man Fal'cie's house, get condemned with a death sentence, and become ostracized from all society so you can tell Snow he's a doody-head, 'kay? Teehee!"

Really, Hope should be slapped upside the head for not thinking that one out too well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fedule posted:

Hell, I'll even answer your actual question right now: Soldiers can use magic because they have a "Manadrive" that synthesizes its effects (their battle abilities are all called things like Manadrive Fire, etc). It uses the same technology as Lightning's gravity thingy (I think it may even be the same device, although spoiler; no enemy soldier will ever do gravity hax). You can read all about it in the datalog.

So it's basically XIII's version of Magitek?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

At the very least, it would make sense for the Fal'cie to TELL their L'cie what to do, instead of giving them vague visions. In theory, the Fal'cie actually want these missions accomplished; otherwise, why bother? And yet I think you'd get a high failure rate when the L'cie have no idea what they're doing.

To be fair, the two outcomes for being a l'Cie are pretty awful. I'd be more inclined to believe that Fal'Cie are just jerks and making l'Cie is some kind of Truman Show brand of entertainment for them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Shiva sisters are suppose to represent Lightning and Sarah. Which is why one of them constantly attacks Snow while the other heals him.

Now I know what you will say. "But when they transform-" Yes.

If you're serious, that explains why Lightning is so upset about Snow taking her sister awa-

Nope. I can't even go there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

e:wrong thread

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Really, I think they could've just named Sentinel "Vanguard" or something like that. SAB and SYN are different enough to be distinct.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bombarder, maybe? Ravager doesn't exactly sound like it'd be involved in spellcasting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lightning also appears in the new Theatrhythm game as two separate characters.

And I think it's pretty much guaranteed she will be in Kingdom Hearts III.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Did Four Heroes of Light come out before or after XIII? I remember one of the heavy complaints about that game being that the party split up too much, so it'd be weird if they didn't learn from that and made the same mistake again here.

Artix posted:

I am being 100% unironic there, I love the poo poo out of that song.

The XIII series does usually have some pretty great songs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

It's not made by a standard Square team, though; Fourhole is by Matrix Software, who also did Avalon Code

That explains a frightening amount.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm assuming the Dreadnought is a reference to the Phantom Train from FFVI, but what's the deal with the zebra succubus?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It helps that Sazh is the most level-headed of the party, too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I don't know how much more you would want me to say about it but his is the only one that is unique to this game right? I can't think of any other appearances off the top of my head anyway. But like you said, there's plenty of time for ridiculousness so i'll just leave it at that.

Aside from two games, Hope's has appeared in literally every main numbered Final Fantasy game before this since IV.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 7, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm a bit surprised you're all trying to figure out which Eidolon Hope has in Chapter 11 rather than guessing which one appears in the next update.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm starting to get the impression that Hope hates Snow. :v:

Also, despite the Eidolon transformations in this game being rather silly, I do like Lightning's Gestalt Mode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

And talking about Zantetsuken, nice spinning there Lightning. Good to know that the strongest attack at the player's disposal is Top Spin. Also, Dissidia adapted these attacks really well, so props to a far, far better game. That still suffered from having Lightning in it.

Lightning wasn't really all that bad in Dissidia, though.

Besides, she got killed off at the end of it, so it seems like you'd be happy about that, at least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SourceElement posted:

There's a gil reward for killing a certain number of enemies with the sweeping blow move, and there's an item reward for total number of kills.

40+: 999 Gil

Why does this game hate giving out gil?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find Lightning all that bad. If anything, her main detriment up to this point is making really dumb decisions (choosing to fight Anima; deciding to destroy Eden).

Given what happens to her sister and Snow's whole "Are you a bad enough dude to save Cocoon" shtick, I'd be pretty frustrated and fed up, too. It doesn't help that that the fal'Cie are pretty much expecting them to guess what their mission is.

To be fair, Lightning has pointed out that where she's going is where the main fal'Cie, Eden, is centered. PSICOM getting destroyed in the process is sort of a thing that Lightning realizes will happen but doesn't really care about.

And as far as Hope, she only calls him dead weight after he keeps trying to rest after all of the fights.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 8, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm hard-pressed to think of any FF protagonist who was as....blunt and abrasive as her.

Edit: huge blank image removed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cid Raines kind of reminds me of Light Yagami in terms of appearance.

Also, did Sazh and Vanille just stumble across a Mako Reactor?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 13, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Isn't the "public execution to make the stupid plebian masses sleep better" word-for-word a plot point from FF7?

Yes. It's what Shinra tries to do to the party after Meteor is summoned.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TiamosLoren posted:

I really don't want my favourite to be associated in any way to this...game? Tech demo? Thing?

If it's any consolation, it's only the barest hint of a reference. Cid Raines could have been a frog.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

theshim posted:

KNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE :argh:

I didn't beat this game by a long shot and even I remember that god drat knife.

It helps that the knife is more relevant to the story than Sazh and Vanille at the moment. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Whale posted:

Come to think of it Hope can't even attack using the boomerang for quite some time. All he has right now are spells and buffs. The boomerang is mostly for show.

Doesn't he attack with it during the pre-l'Cie chapters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh boy, it's time for the worst birthday ever.

• Locked thread